Why Go /NIN To Meripos?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Why Go /NIN To Meripos?
Why Go /NIN To Meripos?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Bahamut.Jouliont
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Jouliont
By Bahamut.Jouliont 2010-02-05 05:56:27
Link | Quote | Reply

So after hearing all this “go /NIN,” I’m starting to get irritated as to what’s so good about it? I understand the whole less mp sponging thing but I’m also looking at it in another way.
The 3 jobs that are dominant in most meripos I’ve been in: WAR/DRG/SAM. Ok, the whole WAR/NIN I can understand b/c they don’t need hasso as much as SAM polearm do and they make it easier to go /NIN since they have nothing that gimps recast/cast time while also having the ability to voke. DRG/SAM works to my understanding b/c of the fact that they can easily full time seigan w/o having to worry about acc that much. SAM is different than the other two. SAM polearm requires much more ACC. I figured the time when /WAR and /SAM works is when your meripo is capable of killing birds before they’re able to use a WS (so around 20s).
When is it alright to go /WAR or /SAM to a party for those three jobs; and when is it alright to use hasso?
[+]
By Eole 2010-02-05 06:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

When you can kill Wivre.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ukiyasan
user: Ukiyasan
By Bahamut.Ukiyasan 2010-02-05 06:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The best answer I can give to this is when you have people that know when to use what abilities.

Example: Was in a meripo last weekend and not a single person was /nin. DRG/SAM, SAM/WAR, WAR/SAM, COR,BRD,WHM
Only time we had issues was when the WAR/SAM didn't get timing down to Seigan/Third Eye because he was switching between Hasso and Seigan. He went and switched to /NIN and the rest of the party was a cakewalk.

I've been in alot of meripos where all the DDs were /NIN. Of course, that does help RDMs with MP pool because they can focus on haste instead of curing, but still... if players do their jobs right.. then there is no need for /NIN except for maybe whoever your opening voke is.
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-05 06:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Eole said:
When you can kill Wivre.

Pretty much.

A 'real' merit party relies on killing so fast that the mob never gets to do any meaningful damage to the DDs and the little damage it does do is shared around the 3 DD. Ideally it should die before it gets a TP move off. If you can reach this happy point your DD can probably ride Hasso full time (or near full time) and just have fun.

But if your DDs aren't great (and lets face it, 90% of the ones LFP @ 75 aren't great) then you are going to be unable to kill birds fast enough and therefore start taking heavy damage, sucking up all the MP and then either dying or breaking chain as you run out of MP.

So its pretty subjective, personally I support DD/SAM and SAM/WAR in merit parties as long as they think they are up to the task. I also have no problem letting some epeening DD die when they try and use hasso when they really aren't good enough to pull it off.
[+]
 Hades.Hiryo
Server: Hades
user: Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2010-02-05 06:35:50
Link | Quote | Reply

/NIN is for pussys /WAR or /SAM or gtfo!
[+]
 Pandemonium.Rathz
Server: Pandemonium
user: Rathz
By Pandemonium.Rathz 2010-02-05 06:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Was in a party where only two people were /NIN. The BRD and a MNK. I ran out of MP VERY fast. (Me being a taru rdm...) This was on birds, so the flurry's had something to do with that.
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-05 06:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Hiryo said:

As I said, your right; but only if you have the PEWPEW to back it up.
[+]
 Hades.Hiryo
user: Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2010-02-05 06:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
Hades.Hiryo said:

As I said, your right; but only if you have the PEWPEW to back it up.

Haha yeah, otherwise;

Pandemonium.Rathz said:
Was in a party where only two people were /NIN. The BRD and a MNK. I ran out of MP VERY fast. (Me being a taru rdm...) This was on birds, so the flurry's had something to do with that.

Bad times ; ;
[+]
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-02-05 07:23:57
Link | Quote | Reply

my last meripo was
SAM/WAR(me with engetsuto) SAM/WAR(tomoe) COR/RNG(joytoy/martial) BRD/NIN BRD/WHM RDM/WHM

hit chain 200ish/50k xp total having to kill Wivre's cuz birds were running out, sad part was we were in middle and taking bottom birds too and still needed wivre's

was a fun party tho
 Asura.Diraphe
Server: Asura
user: Diraphe
By Asura.Diraphe 2010-02-05 07:24:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Solution: ditch the Rdm and have your Drg switch to /rdm or /blu

Mp issues solved.

Edit: assuming they have the appropriate gear
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-05 07:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Diraphe said:

Mp issues solved.

DRG gets Haste?
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-05 07:31:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Asura.Diraphe said:

Mp issues solved.

DRG gets Haste?

inb4: "Haste isn't everything!"

gogo predictable derail.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Darsha
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: StanDarsh
By Quetzalcoatl.Darsha 2010-02-05 07:36:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Haste IS everything!
[+]
 Asura.Diraphe
Server: Asura
user: Diraphe
By Asura.Diraphe 2010-02-05 07:43:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Whoops forgot haste speeds up mob repop
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-05 07:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Diraphe said:
Whoops forgot haste speeds up mob repop

Wivres were invented for a reason.

[+]
 Leviathan.Torvin
Server: Leviathan
user: mordth
By Leviathan.Torvin 2010-02-05 08:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm of the opinion that unless you have the optimal brd/rdm/cor combo with 3 solid dd's that the majority of your dd's should be /nin. Every time I have been in a non-optimal pt where this wasn't the case it was pretty craptastic. Unforunately, even with dual brd's, you're dd's end up taking more damage than the healer can support and either a) a dd dies at some point and hoses the chain, or b) your mage runs out of mp. Either way, it hoses your exp rate. I have found that the best solution for the non-optimal pt's is to have all but 1 of your dd go /nin and have one go /sam or /war, preferably a drg/sam with a nice build spamming drakesbane. With this setup, you can basically have the other dd's hold hate through the beginning of each kill and then your hard hitting dd can open up at about halfway and get the killing blow. As long as your hard hitter can keep his WS in his pants for a bit on each fight then even a non-optimal pt can rack up really good chains.

Oh one more thing relating to a comment in the original post

Quote:
DRG/SAM works to my understanding b/c of the fact that they can easily full time seigan w/o having to worry about acc that much.

If your drg/sam is keeping seigan up full time, he might as well have come /nin or /whm or /anything else for that matter. 80% of the reason you come /sam is because hasso cranks up all your relevant dd stats significantly (the other 20% is obviously for meditate). The only time you use seigan/third eye is when you are getting your *** handed to you, and even then, you drop it and put hasso back up as fast as you can to crank up your dps.
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-02-05 08:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Leviathan.Torvin

Hasso and mediate are not the only reason people sub sam.

* Moving from a 7 to 6 hit is 16.7% increase in WS frequency (read: WS damage).

* Hasso give 10%haste, which (assuming is 60% base haste) is a 25% increase in WS frequency (read: WS damage).

* Mediate is 60% of a WS every 3minutes, assuming you do 6 WS in those 3mins, that's 0.6/6 = 10% increase in WS frequency (read: WS damage).

So the break down is approx:
50% Hasso
30% 6hit build
20% Mediate (assuming constantly engaged, a lot more if mediate is your only source of TP)
[+]
 Hades.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Hades.Tidis 2010-02-05 15:41:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm gonna join this arguement with a merit pt I was in today.

Basically i'm the rdm in it and we had a cor but no brd set up was:

RDM/WHM (me), COR/NIN, RNG/...something, SAM/WAR, DRG/SAM and another DD job I can't remember.

I honestly hated every last minute of it, sometimes DDs will take damage I understand that so I rest whenever I can but in this one between hasting the DDs and curing them I wasn't getting any breaks to rest MP, even when I gave up on the haste cycle I couldn't rest for 2 seconds before a DD started dying again.

Ultimately I was always running out of MP.
[+]
 Kujata.Daus
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2010-02-05 15:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

There were some DDs I wished they were /nin. They were mp sponges and the amount of my mp they absorbed before said colibri or puk died did not equal out.

and then had the gall to ask "can I have a haste?" fook no, you wasted all my mp because you evade worse than the titanic.

If I cant keep hastes up then theres something wrong with somebody.

Albeit maybe the other DDs just werent doing enough damage in comparison but its the cure-bomb-ee that really manages to piss me off :X

but hey, sometimes there were those really great merit pts where everybody went /sam and nobody ever got injured and I had to nuke to make it look like I was actually using my mp. But that rarely happened 83
[+]
 Phoenix.Airbag
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-02-05 15:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Tidis said:
I'm gonna join this arguement with a merit pt I was in today. Basically i'm the rdm in it and we had a cor but no brd set up was: RDM/WHM (me), COR/NIN, RNG/...something, SAM/WAR, DRG/SAM and another DD job I can't remember. I honestly hated every last minute of it, sometimes DDs will take damage I understand that so I rest whenever I can but in this one between hasting the DDs and curing them I wasn't getting any breaks to rest MP, even when I gave up on the haste cycle I couldn't rest for 2 seconds before a DD started dying again. Ultimately I was always running out of MP.

sometimes its just a bad party.. having to ride the convert timer is not fun at all for me
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
Server: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2010-02-05 15:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like all the DDs were hitting like crap.
[+]
 Remora.Ampelius
Server: Remora
user: Ampelius
By Remora.Ampelius 2010-02-05 16:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I just feel better with 1 war/nin. after that w/e
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-02-05 16:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

If the dd's are awesome let them come war/sam drg/sam or sam/war whatever..the Birds will die so fast it won't even matter. However with that being said if 2 dd's are gimp and 1 is pimp then it might be better for him to come /nin. I have yet to have a really good merit with me war/sam because I die so much because of the lack damage from the other 2 dd's (in random lfg merits.)

Among the ppl I merit with most..I am lovingly refered to as "Voke ***" I am just there to take the attention away from the bird long enough so they can full time Hasso and proceed to kick the living hell out of it, so luckily I get to come /Nin all the time -.-!

So if you need a war for merits AND I can come /sam hit me up I'd love to come.
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-05 16:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

If your DDs are strong enough to come /dd, get new ones. Problem solved.
 Bahamut.Zorander
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-02-05 16:33:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Touche but sometimes easier said that done..or I am lazy and just wanna get a merit or 2 before bed.

If only tho..if only
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-05 16:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ap radar is your friend. Easy to find potential pt members and check them prior to invitation!
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-02-05 16:39:23
Link | Quote | Reply

because the PT leader told you so!

and Make him a sammich too!
[+]
 Remora.Laphine
Server: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-02-05 16:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Among the ppl I merit with most..I am lovingly refered to as "Voke ***" I am just there to take the attention away from the bird long enough so they can full time Hasso and proceed to kick the living hell out of it, so luckily I get to come /Nin all the time -.-!
Is this ppl you merit with any good? lol cause i don't see why are you needed as /nin. Retalliation is made of win, so hasso away! lol
 Bahamut.Jouliont
user: Jouliont
By Bahamut.Jouliont 2010-02-05 17:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply

lol so it looks like a few ppl who have been reading this thread hates /DD.

Anyways, so fighting wivre, that rarely comes up and normally, that would break the chain. XD What's needed to chain wivres with birds?

And full timing hasso, that wasn't made too clear yet. Only when you're able to chain wivres? XD switching from hasso to seigan from time to time seems too unreliable due to the 1min timer and for those w/o windower, it'll be pretty hard to keep track of them.

I guess the whole /DD thing fighting wivre is too much of a pipedream on Bahamut. There aren't many decent DDs left on bahamut. :(
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-05 17:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fulltiming hasso is the reason you're able to kill wivres. You need the kill speed. A DD w/ good haste gear and double march + haste is going to get a 30%ish increase in attack speed from hasso
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9