FFXI To End In 2010?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI to end in 2010?
FFXI to end in 2010?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-02-17 07:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't post the link because it's sankaku but here's what it said:
Quote:
A senior Square Enix employee is being reported as publically saying that Final Fantasy XI will terminate in 2010, to be replaced by Final Fantasy XIV.

The remark was apparently made by one of Square Enix’s top HR people at the “Square Enix Recruiting Seminar 2011,” and duly reported on a personal blog by an attendee:

“I think some amongst you will know, but FF11 started in 2002 … Well, this year it’ll end and the stage will shift to FF14.”
The witness suspects the remark was inadvertent, but it is adamant it was made. Oddly, first the article and then the entire site which reported the remark were taken down shortly after.

Square Enix has previously assured players that any shutdown of the game would be announced a year in advance, so just what is going on is not clear.

A tweet from Square Enix’s CEO also denies the rumour, saying “that’d be troubling,” although this apparent rebuttal is rather short on details, such as whether the remarks were actually made and whether there is anything to them…

In any case, with the sequel nearing release and the original game increasingly showing its age, the day of any shutdown must be close at hand, and it seems pertinent that one of 2ch’s threads on the subject is entitled “How many people will commit suicide when FF11 ends?”
i'm scared ;-;
[+]
 Asura.Artemicion
Server: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-17 07:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

SE would only stop it when it stopped yielding profit.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-17 07:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah they doing a promotion for a bonaza just to end it right after... cause that makes any sense. You don't spend money doing things to get people interested in a product that you know you aren't even going to sell
 Titan.Marzbarz
Server: Titan
user: MarzBarz
By Titan.Marzbarz 2010-02-17 07:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

They can't do that D:
 Cerberus.Quipto
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2010-02-17 07:08:34
Link | Quote | Reply

giving away free relics = the end
[+]
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2010-02-17 07:12:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said:
“How many people will commit suicide when FF11 ends?”

For this very reason, I *** HOPE this rumor is true.
[+]
 Hades.Hatekhaos
Server: Hades
user: hatekhaos
By Hades.Hatekhaos 2010-02-17 07:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Quipto said:

^^
 Remora.Fyyvoaa
Server: Remora
user: Fyyvoaa
By Remora.Fyyvoaa 2010-02-17 07:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I think when they mean "end" they mean it in the sense that they are going to end any type of production on it, IE. They won't add anymore expansions or quest lines.

They won't fully terminate FFXI probably until all the profits they can get out of it cease.

Which honestly won't happen for a long time probably.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-17 07:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye, from a business perspective, end of FFXI would simply mean end of continued content additions or patches.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-02-17 07:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Yeah they doing a promotion for a bonaza just to end it right after... cause that makes any sense.

Makes sense to me.
"End it with a bang."
Cerberus.Quipto said:

^

But SE probably means:
Remora.Fyyvoaa said:
I think when they mean "end" they mean it in the sense that they are going to end any type of production on it, IE. They won't add anymore expansions or quest lines. They won't fully terminate FFXI probably until all the profits they can get out of it cease. Which honestly won't happen for a long time probably.
 Pandemonium.Raudy
user: Raudy
By Pandemonium.Raudy 2010-02-17 07:24:40
Link | Quote | Reply

will ff14 even be ready for release in 2011? even so, i still expect ff11 to be around. people are still buying the game for the first time, so theres still interest in it.
 Garuda.Ivinora
Server: Garuda
user: Ivinora
By Garuda.Ivinora 2010-02-17 07:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Even though i quited the game awhile ago, it wouldn't make sence that they would just pull the plug... . Would be a big middle finger for the ppl who still play FFXI and where thinking about staying on it even after FFXIV comes out.
Personally for you guys i hope Fyyvoaa is right
If not ....

Cerberus.Kalyna said:
“How many people will commit suicide when FF11 ends?”

^ this
 Cerberus.Kalyna
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-02-17 07:26:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Artemicion said:
Aye, from a business perspective, end of FFXI would simply mean end of continued content additions or patches.

but still, it sucks! So many people in my linkshell don't want to play FF14 (for reasons like no PS3 or PC won't be able to play it) and they want to keep playing ff11. I wish they would keep production on ff11 instead of ditching it for the new MMO.

Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-02-17 07:29:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Time to move on. :P
[+]
 Remora.Fyyvoaa
By Remora.Fyyvoaa 2010-02-17 07:31:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure they won't just "Stop" 11, that would in a business sense be a really really bad thing for them to do as that is basically showing people "Hah we don't *** care about you".

I know for a fact that if I was making a new game that is going to be similar in the style of play (online) I would want to keep up the lower version (in this sense being 11) and just promote the hell out of the newer product (in this sense being 14) until enough people have transitioned to make it justifiable enough to close down the 11 servers with minimal loss of a profit.

Until 11 only has like 100 players or less on each server, I am pretty sure they will keep it up and running, now what they might end up doing is perhaps "Merge" the servers when the populations start to decrease, and in that sense when you look at it, they could keep it up longer because obviously when you take away servers, you are not going to have to pay for the upkeep of said server.

So even if they are forced to keep it up with only 1 or 2 servers, they are still going to be making some type of profit off it.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-17 07:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Yeah they doing a promotion for a bonaza just to end it right after... cause that makes any sense.
Makes sense to me. "End it with a bang."
Makes sense to you because it isn't costing you money for nothing. Would make no sense to the people whos pocket books it will affect who make said decisions. But who knows jps are crazy
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-17 07:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It would be an extremely risky business gamble to shut down FFXI and simply "hope" your consumer base will feel obligated to go to the other newer game. But even if a majority do make the jump, they would be shooting themselves in the foot on the potential stream of money FFXI could continuously bring in.

And I already know plenty of devout FFXI players who outright refuse to make the jump over to XIV.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-02-17 07:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

New question: How many times are we going to see threads exactly like this before FFXIV comes out? How about after?

/sigh
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-02-17 07:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Makes sense to me. "End it with a bang."
But who knows jps are crazy

Unicorn.Nymphadora
Server: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-02-17 07:37:55
Link | Quote | Reply

It makes no sense for it to just end. But it makes every bit of sense in the world for them to end production of new content for it and switch their attention over to ff14. Like someone said, people are still buying the game for the first time. Why would they be selling copies of the game only for new customers to get everything installed and log on the first time, and then find out, "oh btw, we're shutting down the servers in 5 days."
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-02-17 07:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel that the playerbase isn't even going to be from XI - it's just going to be a new one. It's Japan after all - MMOs are like new games, where as in America MMOs only get popular from word of mouth. The only MMO that even has any commercials here is WoW.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-17 07:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Used to see ffxi commercials
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-17 07:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It's easier to appeal to mindless westernized halo fans than it is to reach out to a more sophisticated and patient player base.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jabblets
Server: Fenrir
user: Jabblets
By Fenrir.Jabblets 2010-02-17 07:42:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I was under the impression they were offering FFXI people a chance to migrate to the same server as their friends for FFXIV?

So with that in mind, it would suggest that FFXI will continue at least until FFXIV is up and running.

At best I think Squenix will get the game out by xmas....but most likely it is going to be early 2011 for PC and probably a few months later on PS3.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By musicsoccer 2010-02-17 07:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
I feel that the playerbase isn't even going to be from XI - it's just going to be a new one. It's Japan after all - MMOs are like new games, where as in America MMOs only get popular from word of mouth. The only MMO that even has any commercials here is WoW.
Very true. Wow doesn't even NEED commercials really, unless they're actually planning to rule the world >.>
Imagine WoW being shut down this year.
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2010-02-17 07:44:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
TOON TOWN.

Seriously though, from a "business" standpoint, closing down XI would be a gamble SE knows it would win. The people that DON'T kill themselves will want to find a new MMO, no matter what they say. Way, way, way more players will go to FFXI2.0 than to stay without a MMO.

Not saying everyone will. But so many people are addicted to FFXI it's *** silly. Problem being, people refuse to admit it. If crack became nonexistant, and a crack substitute was made...a lot more addicts would go to the substitute than stop doing the drug altogether. It's been proven that MMO addictions are just as bad when it comes to the cravings and the mentality of "NEEDING" it.

Instead of pay for two games and a bunch of EXTRA servers, they can just close the smaller game down and support one, with new AND old consumers paying for it. And chances are, for a higher subscription fee...as well as having to buy the disks to play.

Edit: But SE never made sense. FFXI isn't closing this year, no matter how much laaaaawlz it would be.
 Remora.Fyyvoaa
By Remora.Fyyvoaa 2010-02-17 07:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

musicsoccer said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Very true. Wow doesn't even NEED commercials really, unless they're actually planning to rule the world >.>
Imagine WoW being shut down this year.

Mass Riots everwhere.

Or just a mass influx of youtube videos of people whining "WAH WAH MY WARCRAP GOT SHUT DOWN"

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kalyna
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-02-17 07:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
TOON TOWN. Seriously though, from a "business" standpoint, closing down XI would be a gamble SE knows it would win. The people that DON'T kill themselves will want to find a new MMO, no matter what they say. Way, way, way more players will go to FFXI2.0 than to stay without a MMO. Not saying everyone will. But so many people are addicted to FFXI it's *** silly. Problem being, people refuse to admit it. If crack became nonexistant, and a crack substitute was made...a lot more addicts would go to the substitute than stop doing the drug altogether. It's been proven that MMO addictions are just as bad when it comes to the cravings and the mentality of "NEEDING" it. Instead of pay for two games and a bunch of EXTRA servers, they can just close the smaller game down and support one, with new AND old consumers paying for it. And chances are, for a higher subscription fee...as well as having to buy the disks to play.

The thing is, There's WoW, Aion and Guild Wars for the PC as well as a new Everquest 2 expansion coming soon (or as i've heard via GameStop) and for 360 the only ORPG i can think of is Phantasy Star Universe, which is probably going to die soon anyways on the 360.

Maybe, this server closage is square-enix's way of saying f-u to microsoft for not accepting S-E's terms on ff14 for the 360.

edit: ignore the f-u to microsoft >> i didn't realize it was confirmed. That's good news tho for my 360 buddies :3
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9