Forum » FFXI » Servers » Asura » my joining Asura experience
my joining Asura experience
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
By Afania 2018-12-14 14:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
DirectX said: »
3. If you block 3-5 people (including Frod and Lritten) you will avoid 98% of all annoying yells and spam.

I see the shouts that everyone does, but it's actually less work to ignore it than read it, get triggered and respond to it. It's literally just a bunch of people trolling, having fun, joking around, arguing about nonsense, debating nothingness. But it's hardly something someone should be bothered enough about to actually make it into a bullet point about "my Asura experience so far". I get that most of you are kind of joking about how "annoying" these shouts can be, but are there really players who are actually booty harmed over it? Ignore it and move on, or read it and laugh/shake your head.
It doesn't bother me. Just saying that it's a non-issue which can be avoided. Some of the drama is good.

It would be a none issue of public channel is separated into social or pt recruitment/buy and sell, imo. Yell channel has a function that prevents spams, since you can't repeatedly type message in yell within certain period of time. But it doesn't prevent dozens of players simultaneously spam the channel because they all feel like participating, which builds their happiness on someone else's inconvenience.

But then again, idk if se would change something just for one server lol.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-14 14:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply

This is why we need a customizable blacklist.

Blocking the person does nothing, but blocking "merc" "buy" "trump" "etc" for individuals would be INCREDIBLE!
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-12-14 14:54:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Chasuro said: »
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Calm your ***.

go *** your mother, I'm all finished up and she says it's your turn next.

I totally forgot about random trolls!! Thanks for the reminder. Asura Experience Go!

That person is from Shiva, one of those small servers with a close knit and awesome community... =P
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2018-12-14 14:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I totally forgot about random trolls

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-12-14 15:01:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
For you, the day Saevel graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.

wait.... you mean to tell me that you haven't been spending every waking moment of the last six years preparing for the return and asuran arrival of The Danznukem? /gasp

But... you've had all this time to build a linkshell specifically designed to carry him to greatness, help him by answering every dumb question he's too lazy to look up on bg wiki and WHAT ELSE COULD POSSIBLY MORE IMPORTANT than catering to his every whim and desire/? he's Danznukem

I mean Sure you have done all this content over and over and over and over and over again until you're blue in the face but Danznukem needs to do it NOW and I mean right now. There couldn't be a more important roll that holding Danznukem's hand and tenderly guiding him through his glorious return to the game,

I just can't believe you aren't ready and willing and able to drop whatever it is you are doing to help a returner as deeply devoted to the game as Danznukem when he has spent the last fifteen years doing absolutely nothing for you or anyone else.

Who could possibly be more deserving of all of our focus and attention than Danznukem? There are people RIGHT NOW grievously injuring him when he tries to cleave in escha zi'tah
why haven't you stopped them?

I mean... AT LEAST turn all the bots on asura off when he logs on, that should be a piece of cake for a person of your stature and notoriety. a simple shout or yell would probably whip all the rmts right into shape. just add the lines /autosearch for Danznukem /stop whenever Danznukem logs on.

no problemo.

I mean...c'mon he came all the way here to complain.

and it's Danznukem just look at all of the wonderful things he has contributed to site!

he has 11 posts.

Don't you understand how valuble he is to our community

maybe I need to spell it out for you.... ELEVEN bro...

c'mon....

I'm not entirely convinced that ffxiah participation is equivalent to FFXI experience/value. A lot of active players don't make ffxiah accounts, and a lot of inactive players rant on ffxiah forums. So yeah...
[+]
By Afania 2018-12-14 15:10:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »

This is one thing I simply don't understand from the smaller server folks, they seem to think they have this special community that only exists for them. That's 100% not true at all. Asura is huge, it has just what the small servers think they have on lock, it has high end players, it has mid-end *** that think they're high end players, it has bots, it has yell trolls, and everything in between.

I don't think you are wrong that bigger server has wider variety of players. But on the other hand, that also means it's much harder to run into people with similar background, Mindset or traits. Because you are more likely to run into someone different more often.

On smaller server whoever haven't leave are basically clones of each other(slightly hyperbole, but you get what I mean). I've seen many people that just don't belong to existing community because of their trait ended up having to leave for Asura because they are not accepted anywhere, and it's impossible to pug too.

So as a result, many people in the community has similar background and pov on most things. For example, Almost everyone that's active in endgame has been to or have connection with certain ls, or have similar personality when it comes to dealing with situations. Because whoever that's very different (such as preferring a less quiet environment, or prefers faster paced progression, or just have a more aggressive personality) all left for Asura.

On the other hand, on a server with close to 3k people with new players from ALL backgrounds joining every day, you are more likely to run into someone that's just so drastically different from who you are.

Which you prefer more will completely depend on the type of people you are. If you prefer never step out of comfort zone when it comes to different kind of people, then you are less likely going to run into different type of people on small servers. If you prefer to meet people that's very different from your group, then bigger server will be more exciting for social purposes.

Technically you can play with your group on Asura all day and never have interaction with someone else outside so you always work with like minded people. But then it would be the same as playing on smaller server anyways, since PUG isnt utilized. Minus the convenience of less congestions and cleaner public channel.

So yeah, preference is preference. There are no logical argument to support either choice outside of preference, imo.
By Odinz 2018-12-14 15:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Which job would be the CEO if FFXI was a company.

DRGs would be procurement for sure. No one likes them, don't really need them, and they're always claiming their job is hot ***.

WHMs would be I.T., people think their job's easy until they try it. "Oh ***there's more to this than casting cureIV?" - "Oh ***you mean you guys do other sutff other than tell people to restart their PC's when windows crashes?"

PUP and MNK would HR and employee relations - "special" people that use big flashy words to describe their roles, which are usually just code for remedial normal stuff. "Facilitate his exit" ooooohhh... couldn't have said "fire him?", "Victory Smite"- couldn't have said punch it 4 times?

BLU is marketing. Has an answer for everything

WAR is the CEO. Just walks into the meeting room and lays some Big *** damage on the board room table.

DRK is the CFO. Always trying to keep up with the CEO, but gets *** slapped when he comes too close.

BRD, GEO, COR - COO's... trying to run ***while everyone else is busy making a big *** mess.
[+]
By mhomho 2018-12-14 15:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
many people in the community has similar background and pov on most things

Huh, people like their echo chambers. Sounds just like any other discord chat. Who'd have thunk it? It's almost like it doesn't matter what server you're on, Asura or any other. They're all just one big ghetto in cyber space.
By Odinz 2018-12-14 15:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I spent all morning shaving my Odin pubes. It had been many millennia since I journeyed south. Tis not fun. Dual Wielding a kanagi and chainsaw, I managed to tame the beast.
By mhomho 2018-12-14 15:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

But what of your boom stick?
By volkom 2018-12-14 15:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Odinz said: »

DRGs would be procurement for sure. No one likes them, don't really need them, and they're always claiming their job is hot ***.

WHMs would be I.T., people think their job's easy until they try it. "Oh ***there's more to this than casting cureIV?" - "Oh ***you mean you guys do other sutff other than tell people to restart their PC's when windows crashes?"

PUP and MNK would HR and employee relations - "special" people that use big flashy words to describe their roles, which are usually just code for remedial normal stuff. "Facilitate his exit" ooooohhh... couldn't have said "fire him?", "Victory Smite"- couldn't have said punch it 4 times?

WAR is the CEO. Just walks into the meeting room and lays some Big *** damage on the board room table.

DRK is the CFO. Always trying to keep up with the CEO, but gets *** slapped when he comes too close.

BRD, GEO, COR - COO's... trying to run ***while everyone else is busy making a big *** mess.

CEO would be a PLD. Leads everyone to whatever but can't do anything alone
[+]
By Afania 2018-12-14 15:31:47
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

And if they fail, pt fails.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2018-12-14 15:32:33
Link | Quote | Reply

For returning players i'd recommend the route i took when i first joined Asura. I had a gimp *** pld with 117 gear, i farmed Ochain farmed the whole of Aegis and done a bit of work researching gear which was the Souveran set and slowly worked towards it, had some help in PuGs then Saevel's LS gave me a chance and let me tank T4s with an NQ pld and been with them guys ever since. The newer players just gotta put it a little bit of effort to gear themselves, not just expect to be carried.
By Odinz 2018-12-14 15:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

I had PLD placed as compliance, they're so anal.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2018-12-14 15:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

RUN- PR; Takes all the crap, shakes it off, and keeps all the board of executives looking clean while they steal shinies your pension.
[+]
By Odinz 2018-12-14 15:36:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Brahmsz said: »
RUN- PR; Takes all the crap, shakes it off, and keeps all the board of executives looking clean while they steal shinies your pension.

Kill those PR ***.

BLM - valet parking.. :(
By mhomho 2018-12-14 15:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Brahmsz said: »

The Sarah Huckabee Sanders of the group?
By Tarage 2018-12-14 15:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

See this is why I only hop to Asura to buy cheap ***and sell expensive ***. The rest of it isn't worth it. So many asshats...
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-12-14 15:50:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Senaki said: »
I'm not entirely convinced that ffxiah participation is equivalent to FFXI experience/value. A lot of active players don't make ffxiah accounts, and a lot of inactive players rant on ffxiah forums. So yeah...

They don't get on these forums and instead just laugh at the dumb stuff said here. I've become a bit of an outlier due to my unhealthy addiction to trolling twits combined with the desire to actually help other people progress.
By mhomho 2018-12-14 16:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

trolling

ok XD
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2018-12-14 16:36:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Senaki said: »

these are the jokes kid...

and I'll admit that they're not great... most, if not all of them, were written solely for my own amusement.

but on the plus side ffxiah is not a subscription service. so you paid nothing to read them.

the views expressed by the poster do not reflect the views of ffxiah, scragg incorporated, ffxi, square enix, humanity at large, the shiva server, anyone else, potatoes, children under the age of 18, adults, or the mentally disabled.

side effects may include, but are not limited to, constipation, indignation, sleep driving, increased gambling, alcoholism, a loss of faith in humanity and brain cell genocide.

ask your doctor if ffxiah forums are right for you. if you are unable to afford your medication astra zenica may be able to help
[+]
By Draylo 2018-12-14 16:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU is the CEO
By Zeota 2018-12-14 16:54:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarage said: »
See this is why I only hop to Asura to buy cheap ***and sell expensive ***. The rest of it isn't worth it. So many asshats...
Those shopping trips are made all the better during those "return to vana'diel" discount periods.

But yeah, networking in this game is more important in this game than some folks may realize. Lord knows it's saved me a number of times, especially having been away a number of times. It pretty much let me go nearly a decade without a "real" mage job. Always good to have something to fall back on, though, should something ever happen with your connections.
By Tarage 2018-12-14 17:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Zeota said: »
Those shopping trips are made all the better during those "return to vana'diel" discount periods.

But yeah, networking in this game is more important in this game than some folks may realize. Lord knows it's saved me a number of times, especially having been away a number of times. It pretty much let me go nearly a decade without a "real" mage job. Always good to have something to fall back on, though, should something ever happen with your connections.

Hell yeah. Everyone knows I'm the lolSMNonry from like... way before even ToAU. They know that even if content would normally be bad with a SMN, I'm usually an exception to that rule. Good times.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2018-12-14 18:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess SAM would be the investor then.

Zeota said: »

Exactly this.

Also, I guess it's not as relevant nowadays as it was 10 years ago, but if you are "that guy who is X job", people will invite you whether you have a network or not. There is a big difference between the guy who plays say, RUN, and the guy who is RUN.

The only thing that can prevent you from achieving anything in this game as (almost) any job is people's ego. Either become friend with them so that their ego is lessened around you or ***on it so bad that they are forced to swallow that pride and invite you to take their spot (though nowadays with everyone having everything and the relative ease of most content, it hardly happen anymore).

It's obviously better to be friendly but you're not gonna server hop 10 times before finding people who play at the same time as you and aren't idiots. In my experience, it's impossible to find a group that is idiot free, so it's better to adapt and just enjoy what's to enjoy. They're usually nice people in the end.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-12-14 18:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Also, I guess it's not as relevant nowadays as it was 10 years ago, but if you are "that guy who is X job", people will invite you whether you have a network or not. There is a big difference between the guy who plays say, RUN, and the guy who is RUN.

The only thing that can prevent you from achieving anything in this game as (almost) any job is people's ego. Either become friend with them so that their ego is lessened around you or ***on it so bad that they are forced to swallow that pride and invite you to take their spot (though nowadays with everyone having everything and the relative ease of most content, it hardly happen anymore).

This is bad advice, very bad advice because "that guy" just prevented anyone else from playing that job. By virtue of that person being "the RUN", he forces every group to require his RUN, even if every other group already has a RUN. That person would only survive in a small server with a middle tier group doing middle tier content. They may get invited into a higher end group, but only if that group decided to give them charity, or if absolutely nobody wanted to be on that job, like WHM/BRD/GEO.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2018-12-14 19:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

This is bad advice, very bad advice because "that guy" just prevented anyone else from playing that job. By virtue of that person being "the RUN", he forces every group to require his RUN, even if every other group already has a RUN. That person would only survive in a small server with a middle tier group doing middle tier content. They may get invited into a higher end group, but only if that group decided to give them charity, or if absolutely nobody wanted to be on that job, like WHM/BRD/GEO.
They clear pretty much any content without taking the place of anyone because they can also be other jobs since they got gear for them.

The point is only to get started, not to stick to this mindset forever. I don't know anyone who only plays one job after they have spent a few weeks in endgame, they easily gear another job and want to play it, thus freeing the spot for the next person and so on.

However, it is very easy to create dependency within a certain group and be stuck on a certain job when the other players aren't up to par. This is pretty common in my experience and can be a turn off.
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-12-14 19:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Or come to a smaller server where we're always very welcome and will try fit you in on jobs you like to play as we do our best to adapt to what you enjoy playing. Of course it always helps to be versatile, you won't always get to play what you want, and on a smaller server it's even more crucial to have several jobs. Don't need a big server to get things done and enjoy it. You just need a little extra patience as you can't join random PUGs and achieve right away. It's more work, but probably way more fulfilling unless you're looking to collect every major thing in the game

All of this very much exists on Asura, you're just going to be stuck with groups that generally aren't very good and you'll struggle to progress at times since the top "talent" opted for the speedier approach by joining the big groups.

This is one thing I simply don't understand from the smaller server folks, they seem to think they have this special community that only exists for them. That's 100% not true at all. Asura is huge, it has just what the small servers think they have on lock, it has high end players, it has mid-end *** that think they're high end players, it has bots, it has yell trolls, and everything in between.

Hell we have multiple LS's made specifically to help out new players (assuming Nyarlko is still active, that's the easiest one to see) and we have people shouting to advertise their social LS where people will ask to team up for Unity and Zitah NM's.

Small servers aren't special on that front. The difference between a small server and Asura is the small server doesn't have yells, where Asura has merc and troll yells, and the small server doesn't have as many bots or AH activity, whereas Asura has both in droves. That's the personal preference between the two. But the community on Asura has all levels.

Considering all I ever see on this forum are advertisements for the big, awesome Asura .. I grow so tired of it. We're all very much aware of its advantages and disadvantages. I know way too much about Asura without actively trying to find out. I'm very, very aware of the good linkshells who try to help people there; they are the only groups I'd push people too if I was there.

While it feels like shooting a gun at targets in the dark, the only thing I can do is try to sell other servers. Why? Because that's how I keep my group going. People have jumped server to join us after reading my messages. I like to offer something different because it's not all about Asura.

Yes, you guys may think it's gods gift, and in a way you're right if you want to achieve a lot in a short time .. but it is definitely not essential in getting an enjoyable experience. Yes, other servers suffer. Yes, our auction houses are not stacked. Yes, it may take slightly longer to achieve things as there's hardly any /yells. But at least we're trying.

I have to because it's the only way we survive. I'm positive other servers only want quality people. They don't need to be the greatest players ever .. just be cool, show up often, and we'll do the rest. Is that enough reason for me to offer? Should I just tell everyone on smaller servers to jump ship already so SE has no choice but to kill them off? It's a really hard sell, but it's all I have. And even if someone does not join my group .. I'll point them to another on the same server. I'm not too bothered so long as the player finds a group on our server and enjoys it.

I don't want to discredit the good linkshells there, I'm sure they have a blast with their many options. All I try to do is create more options for those on Cerberus, because if I don't then no one else will. And if any of our groups benefit from that? I'm happy.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-12-14 19:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

^ Yeah, hilarious. Troll harder dude, you might achieve something one day.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9