my joining Asura experience
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Phoenix.Hova
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Titanfoo
By Phoenix.Hova 2019-02-19 20:18:45
Link | Quote | Reply

This game needs more Maat type fights to stop people that suck from geting to lvl 99, this game isn't hard anymore. So now we get crappy skilled bards throwing 2-3 songs up with terrible skill, and terrible DD's don't even noticed the bard is only a couple icons, not real buffs.

I understand that there is a wide spectrum of players, and I help people a lot, but it used to be hard to get a friggin map (crawlers nest) now anyone can reach 99 in one day, it use to take a full day to get a lvl 70+.

If you want help with something, people will help. but stop and look at what can be solo'd and how to do it on your own, that has been my journey. Ask for help when something is impossible to solo, not just being a lazy douche
 Asura.Shiraj
Server: Asura
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-02-19 20:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Hova said: »
If you want help with something, people will help. but stop and look at what can be solo'd and how to do it on your own, that has been my journey. Ask for help when something is impossible to solo, not just being a lazy douche

This I totally agree with no doubt. That is part of the reason I post solo videos using Rune Fencer. It shows what IS possible, even though people think it's impossible. It helps people know what limits are and I would hope my solo videos challenge people to try them and learn the game for themselves and not rely on people.
 Asura.Msmissy
user: msmissy
By Asura.Msmissy 2019-02-19 21:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Shiraj said: »

This I totally agree with no doubt. That is part of the reason I post solo videos using Rune Fencer. It shows what IS possible, even though people think it's impossible. It helps people know what limits are and I would hope my solo videos challenge people to try them and learn the game for themselves and not rely on people.

I’ve looked into solo’ing Bastok 2.3 and having a hard time seeing it possible even with 4 trusts. I’d have to take blm in (no issue there) to sleep the dragon. Can the trusts keep hate while I nuke????? I’m only lvl 19 blm.... figure on going up to at least 25 before an attempt (guess I better look up what lvl blm gets sleep :)

Any guidance/advice would be appreciated.
 Phoenix.Hova
By Phoenix.Hova 2019-02-19 21:14:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lvl mnk and hundred fists him, that's what I did 8'ish years ago
 Phoenix.Hova
By Phoenix.Hova 2019-02-19 21:15:54
Link | Quote | Reply

/blu cocoon and hundred fists
 Phoenix.Hova
By Phoenix.Hova 2019-02-19 21:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

with 4 tursts it should be easy, hundred fists is OP at that lvl
By DaneBlood 2019-02-19 21:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
stop

[+]
 Asura.Msmissy
By Asura.Msmissy 2019-02-19 21:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I’ve start monk and am decently geared at low lvl, but How do I sleep the dragon? It’s been so long since I’ve done that fight that I don’t recall if I can pull the eye away. My main has a 78 mnk so I’m no stranger to the job, but we are dealing with 2 mobs and a much lower lvl mnk (oh how I wish I could bring that acct in to do this).
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2019-02-19 21:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Msmissy said: »

I’ve looked into solo’ing Bastok 2.3 and having a hard time seeing it possible even with 4 trusts. I’d have to take blm in (no issue there) to sleep the dragon. Can the trusts keep hate while I nuke????? I’m only lvl 19 blm.... figure on going up to at least 25 before an attempt (guess I better look up what lvl blm gets sleep :)

trust will wreck that thing ur dmg will be so little compared to them. i did it on one of my mules a while back.
 Asura.Msmissy
By Asura.Msmissy 2019-02-19 21:32:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chiaia said: »
Asura.Msmissy said: »

trust will wreck that thing ur dmg will be so little compared to them. i did it on one of my mules a while back.

Thank you!!! That is actually helpful to me.... I have no idea how the trusts will handle the eye (they are all tanks and dd).
 Asura.Kalimairo
user: kalimairo
By Asura.Kalimairo 2019-02-20 01:33:29
Link | Quote | Reply

DaneBlood said: »
Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
stop

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Asura.Kalimairo
user: kalimairo
By Asura.Kalimairo 2019-02-20 03:05:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Danznukem said: »
as a returning player me and my friends decided to give a more populated server a run. we shot big and came to Asura
however its been a rough move so far.

Pros:
1. Population. lots of people always doing some events. finding a group might be slightly easier
2. more people to meet. there are a bunch of nice new people. but also the other end of that spectrum... more on that in a bit.
3. more options for linkshells?
4. more active market! buying and selling is more enjoyable. less time camping the AH for that one wierd item.
things seem to move faster when your selling too!

Cons:
1. more people. like number 1 and 2 says. there are good. but there also bad. and when camps get cramped from population. the real dbags show trying to steal your mobs and entire pulls. sadly the bad eggs tend to stick out more than the good players. which kinda suck
2. more options to not get invited to linkshells. i don't know why. but iv shouted a few times seeing if LSes are recruiting and got no responses. i checked the LS guys in town and checked a few of the random LSes on there. however they ether turn out to be dead or unhelpful in any way.
3. drama. with all the shouts comes lots of drama. like number 1. the bad eggs tend to stick out here shouting and instigating augments.
4. more people more demand. more bots! there are bots everywhere
and this isn't just an Asura thing. however with more population means there are more competition for these items and the bots don't help in the least bit. SE just needs to go on a banning spree with bots...

so far the experience has been unenjoyable and a possible move back to a less populated and less chaotic server, if anyone has any suggestions or linkshell recommendations it would be much appreciated.

but the botts?
[+]
By axetofall 2019-02-20 03:12:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I think this game is bad
[+]
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2019-02-20 06:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sirris said: »
so far the experience has been unenjoyable and a possible move back to a less populated and less chaotic server, if anyone has any suggestions or linkshell recommendations it would be much appreciated.

I came from a small server and I'd never go back. Sure there are vocal *** on the server but there are great, knowledgeable, and helpful players as well. The economy on Asura is also much healthier in comparison. There are shout groups who clear end-game content, that's been big for me personally.

Work on your jobs, check out some of the big social shells, and join pickup groups for Ambu/cp/etc. which are appropriate to your level of gear and capacity. You'll likely find a good group of people. I was in your shoes and I found a niche where I'm happy, still able to play and enjoy this game 16 years after I started...

Asura.Saevel said: »
If a potential recruit opens with "I have a rag WAR" they immediately get noped. If instead they say "I'm working on a REMA BRD" or "I'm 900 Dunna GEO wanting to get Idris" or even "I've been doing WHM and I'm open to help tweaking my gearsets" they get serious consideration. Getting someone a REMA is easy for an accomplished group, we don't want to waste our time on someone who's never gonna be versatile.

Yes, it's easy for an established group to recruit support ***, particularly GEO/BRD/WHM, to follow you around and do the grunt work to make your dps look good, and support/heals tend to burn out more quickly because those jobs are either not glamorous or are taxing, so there's more turnover there to begin with.

Just, if your selling point is, well if you spend months in a support role, then maybe at some point you'll get to do something else, that's not a great draw for returners or new players who want to jump in and play with their favorite job, or who are even willing to do support but who don't want to full-time it for months on end. It may be a necessary evil but it makes this game much less approachable.

That's the reality of the game though. If you're coming back wanting to play Samurai for instance, you have to bear in mind that you're competing against players who didn't leave, or have been back for a longer time, and in many cases might do multiple times the damage you would on the job you want to play. And if you're not looking at a 20% difference in damage, but rather a 200% or larger difference in damage, it becomes very difficult to justify letting that person go on that job, especially on any content that is remotely difficult, and thereby, worth doing for the group.

Thinking you're going to be competitive with someone who has dumped hundreds of hours into perfecting the job you want to play isn't just naive, it's actually rude in a strange way, that you think those players might not also want to play that job, and to that end put tons of effort into perfecting it.
By kishr 2019-02-20 08:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Came back a few years ago now, and wanted to bst main stuff and do end game, learned quick you can't. Didn't even know what a geo was but always seen it asked in shouts, so I made a geo, joined end game stuff with that even though it wasn't a Idris, got gill from ambuscade and abj's. Then did thf war smn Sam after,

Long story short, you need a wanted job at first to contribute, and use it to build gear for the job you want to play.
Then after investing time and gill in to that said job, then you can use it for end game stuff.

It's a basic concept that applies to everything.
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-02-20 08:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I was a pld main from like '09 then once i got back from the 4-5 year break i had i farmed Aegis and pugged my Souveran gear. Once i done a bit of Research on the stuff I wanted I got invited to join augusto's shell and I only had a semi-gimped pld at the time, but was encouraged to make support jobs(such as REA bard, Idris Geo and lolsmn and a whm), so it is good to be versatile and not be that 1 job taru pld that other people in Ls could do my job better, but I was stuck to 1 job so other people suffered kinda of guy.

but seriously, make a geo or a Relic bard w/ Terp at least for wanting to do some content. then in time, make the 4 song harp.

There is no rush to make Aeonics. With the gear we have now they are not hard. You can melee/ranger burn aeonics fairly easy with the gear people have now.

Take time to learn the jobs you need to play in order to help support the jobs you want to play. It's a common thing in ffxi.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2019-02-20 09:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

axetofall said: »
I think this game is bad
This game isn't just bad, it attracts bad people to post bad things on bad forums.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2019-02-20 16:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

So bad, it killed the thread.
[+]
By olson2189 2019-02-20 17:12:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Population. lots of people always doing some events.

more active market!

SE just needs to go on a banning spree with bots...

Careful what you wish for. You start off by saying how great it is to have so many people on the server, and then you call for the banning of 70% of them.
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2019-02-21 14:58:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I moved to Asura over four years ago and I don't regret it. Having an active economy and being able to do stuff via shouts and PUGS is a HUGE deal. You don't need to have an end game linkshell to progress your character on your chosen class if your new, and if you don't have the proper gear then you don't belong DDing against the tougher end game bosses anyway. They have high stat requirements that you just can't circumvent without being properly equipped. I play thf and for the majority of my time here I've been solo by my own choice. During that time I was able to equip myself with almost everything Best in Slot for all my gear sets just through pugs and dedicated general farming. Here's a list of many things you can do as a DD without needing an end game linkshell

Ambuscade gear and weapons - You don't NEED to do Ambuscade on the highest levels of difficulty. If you're newer you can farm Nomral and get stuff done just fine, it's just slower and takes longer. That shouldn't be a big deal when the upgrades are such a big improveent. Many of these pieces are actual Best in Slot options or damn close to them to boot.

Abjuration gear -- Almost anything aburation up to and including Escha-Ruan T2 mobs can be farmed with a PUG pretty easily. Resinjima T1 and T2 are pretty Puggable too for augmentable gear sets. The T3 drops can even be merced if you really want them badly enough.

Ilvl 119 Artifact and Relic +3 -- Artifact +3 is just a matter of joining card farming runs, which happen ALL---THE--TIME!! And those are easy to get in on any job since landing as many objectives as possible is more important than DD. If you can't beat the omen bosses for the scale you can have them merced for 2-3 mil, which is reasonable since the synthesis mats will cost you more. Likewise, all of the Relic +3 voidshards and voidarmors can be purchased off the auction house. All you need to unlock the +3 is to beat the respective zone's mid boss statue, and just like card runs those shouts happen ALL-THE-TIME. You should be able to join one of the pugs and get the clear without much issue.

Empyreans/Relics/Mythics -- This is just farming McGuffins until you can progress to the next stage, they're 100% soloable over time.

--Capping capacity points is easy to do with some CP farming groups. You can speed the process up by doing Records of Eminence objectives for colonization and lair reives, as well as finishing mission story quests (more solo content). Getting 2100 job points to master your job has a huge impact on performance and is a really big deal. This is entirely doable with a bunch of random pugs for whatever job you want to play on.

If you want to DD on end game mobs then yes, you DO need to have elite equipment. But getting almost all of that equipment can be done low man or solo, and a large portion of it comes from trading auction house purchasable items in for rare/ex finished components. Having a strong economy certainly helps on that end. And guess what, if you do reach that point you'll probably find yourself in an end game linkshell just based off reputation. It's what happened to me. My current linkshell was handed to me by one of the leaders over half a year ago when they were impressed with my THF's potential in a pug event we both joined. We do Omen bosses, Dyna D runs, and Resinjima bosses, and I'm allowed to come to all of that as THF because I'm geared to the point now that I can contribute properly. Getting almost all of that gear was a solo effort though. You'd be surprised what you can accomplish by making small consistent strides towards your goals given enough time.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9