First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-12-12 13:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
IMO, when I comes to endgame, right people is far more valuable than wrong people with the right jobs.

Seriously, this x 1000.
[+]
By Afania 2018-12-12 13:16:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Haxxor said: »
Small server has the advantage of reputation spreads fast because you often play with same small circle people that others get to know you more easily. One can start in a social ls and from there they can build reputation with high end players who also has a pearl in that ls.

It's also much easier to build such tight knit connections on small servers when you play with in a small community with 100 people that constantly log on and know each other very well for a while, and have these people be your reference and open doors to high end content.
All of this is spot on but also there's another side to this, once your small server finds out your a terribad, everyone knows... you'll hit a wall for group content. Asura is full of quetz refugees.

Lol, I've seen tons of people forced to leave in the past as well, but 90% of time it's because they have jack *** attitude, not because their jobs aren't top tier or something.
[+]
 Asura.Elizabet
Server: Asura
user: Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2018-12-12 13:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Savael's point was that the right people would realize they lack the right jobs, and thus go get the right jobs because they are the right people, where the wrong people would either be oblivious or straight refuse to lessen the burden they are.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-12-12 13:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean it's okay to have a personal preference for jobs if you have the choice to do so, the group is agreeable, and your selection won't impose on the group. But if you're just straight up resistant to play something that will assist the group, you won't get anywhere. I got nearly all of my BLU gear from playing Corsair and Geomancer.
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2018-12-12 13:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

OP, I sent you a PM
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-12 13:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

It's never been an agreeable policy that you have to play whm brd (now geo) to gear something that you actually want to play. But that's what you've all let it evolve into.

You made this bed. You let it be the norm. Reap consequences.

It's true that "guy that only plays drk" is less useful than "guy who has drk but will play whm too" but it just ends up making dissatisfied and disgruntled players.
[+]
 Siren.Demetreos
Server: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2018-12-12 13:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

My 'main' is DRK, always has been. Pretty sure 95%+ of the gear I've got for it has been on WHM, BLM or GEO.

Even if you've got a decent, tight-nit group of friends, you're probably not going to be able to play the job you want to play all of the time. Get some decent variety so you can slot into different groups/situations as necessary and go from there.

I've technically got a newb/returner/social shell on Asura, though it's pretty quiet these days. Hit up Chiako, Taritai, Alaux or myself if you want a pearl sometime, though I can't promise there's gonna be a huge amount going on. Maybe more during the Xmas break when there's a few of us around.
By Afania 2018-12-12 13:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Elizabet said: »
I think Savael's point what that the right people would realize they lack the right jobs, and thus go get the right jobs because they are the right people, where the wrong people would either be oblivious or straight refuse to lessen the burden they are.

When I mentioned "right people", I generally don't mean jobs. Game can be cleared in multiple setup and endgame ls with a strong core generally has the resources to use any setup, or shuffle people's job and still win. So having right jobs matters less. Because other roles will be covered anyways.

What I meant is personal quality and trait in an endgame setting.

Personally, I value the following trait a bit more:

1) Ability to deal with stress: endgame can be stressful, but how you manage/deal failure and wipe will determine how successful you are.

Some people respond failure and wipe with anger and finger pointing, that would break a group faster than anything, nor emotions solves real issue in the pt. I would avoid this kind of person at all costs.

2) ability to communicate: I find most players don't communicate often enough, myself included. Sometimes every little thing that's being announced in chat can make a run much smoother by letting people know what's going on.

3) problem solving skill: if you are given a task, or in an unfavorable situation, would they complain and do nothing, or look for a way to turn the tide?

4) be friendly and polite, always thank the party after its done, even if pt performance is bad. We are working with people in ffxi and the ability to maintain a long term working relationship values more in the long run.

If someone has all 4 traits above, then they can be a valuable asset in any resourceful groups that's already established. Gear and experience will come. I know tons of DD only player in my ls and they still do endgame anyways, there are enough support and healers from other members or mules to get a pt going.
[+]
By Afania 2018-12-12 13:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
It's never been an agreeable policy that you have to play whm brd (now geo) to gear something that you actually want to play. But that's what you've all let it evolve into.

You made this bed. You let it be the norm. Reap consequences.

It's true that "guy that only plays drk" is less useful than "guy who has drk but will play whm too" but it just ends up making dissatisfied and disgruntled players.

I suggest people start with whm quite often, but mostly because they ask for fast track jobs to begin with.

If someone dislike whm but have absolutely no way doing endgame unless they play whm, then something is seriously wrong.
 Asura.Nuance
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2018-12-12 13:41:04
Link | Quote | Reply

1) Ability to deal with stress: endgame can be stressful, but how you manage/deal failure and wipe will determine how successful you are.

Some people respond failure and wipe with anger and finger pointing, that would break a group faster than anything, nor emotions solves real issue in the pt. I would avoid this kind of person at all costs.

2) ability to communicate: I find most players don't communicate often enough, myself included. Sometimes every little thing that's being announced in chat can make a run much smoother by letting people know what's going on.

3) problem solving skill: if you are given a task, or in an unfavorable situation, would they complain and do nothing, or look for a way to turn the tide?

4) be friendly and polite, always thank the party after its done, even if pt performance is bad. We are working with people in ffxi and the ability to maintain a long term working relationship values more in the long run.

If someone has all 4 traits above, then they can be a valuable asset in any resourceful groups that's already established. Gear and experience will come. I know tons of DD only player in my ls and they still do endgame anyways, there are enough support and healers from other members or mules to get a pt going.

This is exactly what I look for when recruiting. I’ve never cared about a persons gear and have always cared about their attitude and willingness to diversify their job offerings.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-12-12 13:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Elizabet said: »
I think Savael's point was that the right people would realize they lack the right jobs, and thus go get the right jobs because they are the right people, where the wrong people would either be oblivious or straight refuse to lessen the burden they are.

We gear up people all the time. Right now we have two greenhorn BRD's, one has a very good DNC the other has a mid level WAR (think it's WAR). Both will eventually be able to play those jobs and in the meantime we are helping them get their Carns so they can do double BRDs rotation when we return to Wave3 farming. They will scoop up gear for their other jobs while playing with people who have long since mastered those other jobs and are so bored that helping people is all there is left to do in the game. So within six months of being in a "newbie" shell they will be high performers able to get almost anything they want done.

This is something we've all done, for me it was RDM back when RDM was a refresh *** and a cure machine, eventually becoming a stunner and then doing some HNM tanking until SE nerfed that. Experience playing support also helps immensely when playing DD because you understand the limits those guys have and learn to play within those limits.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
user: elii
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2018-12-12 13:51:06
Link | Quote | Reply

This is completely my opinion, but Asura seems more to me like the go hard, or go home type server. Its not a server to just piddle around on. Obviously not something for everyone.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-12-12 13:52:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody just decided to force all newbies to play support to get a spot. If you reactivated with friends from the old days, maintained your social connections, etc, you're going to get to play what you want. If you make friends with people before trying to get a spot as a job, you'll probably get to play what you want.

If nobody has any reason to want you there past what you have to offer, you need to be offering what they want. What do 99% of groups want? Other people to play support so they can run their own DPS. It is how it is because it's the logical progression of things.

You need to either make yourself useful on a support job, or make some friends and make your DPS competitive, either works. Nobody wants to replace their top tier DPS with someone who'll be lucky to do 80% as much damage. If you're friends with a group and they know you have all your gear in line, wear hybrid and accuracy when necessary, etc, they will almost certainly give you a chance to play it.

If you have nothing from omen, nothing from dynamis, underwhelming oseem augs.. you aren't going to fill a primary DPS slot for a group who knows what they're doing. It just won't happen.
[+]
 Siren.Demetreos
Server: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2018-12-12 13:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Elidyr said: »
This is completely my opinion, but Asura seems more to me like the go hard, or go home type server. Its not a server to just piddle around on. Obviously not something for everyone.
There's a lot of people with that mentality, but don't necessarily have the gear/skill/intelligence to follow through with it.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-12 13:56:54
Link | Quote | Reply

No this is not even close to accurate.

it's "I think I'm *** awesome, you be my *** slave or you don't get to join, money is more important than people"
Emphasis on THINK they're awesome.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-12-12 13:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

That's because it has the population to support an actual high end community. Now I've been operating under the assumption the OP was looking for groups of high end players to level them up and bring them through CL135 and above content so they can progress into the upper reaches of their characters power. Players need to be able to provide meaningful contribution to these things and going half *** under-powered DD isn't contributing ***. A half-assed under-powered BRD / GEO / WHM or even roll COR can contribute to that mid range of content by freeing up a more powerful player.

Now if OP is looking for a social group to *** around with, well there are those too.
[+]
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2018-12-12 14:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Now I've been operating under the assumption the OP was looking for groups of high end players to level them up and bring them through CL135 and above content so they can progress into the upper reaches of their characters power. Players need to be able to provide meaningful contribution to these things and going half *** under-powered DD isn't contributing ***. A half-assed under-powered BRD / GEO / WHM or even roll COR can contribute to that mid range of content by freeing up a more powerful player.

This problem is an every day disaster that happens on more than just Asura, I can promise you that.
[+]
By aisukage 2018-12-12 14:02:37
Link | Quote | Reply

... who cares? if people want to move to asura then let them. If people don't then asura doesn't want you anyways. these got boring a long time ago.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2018-12-12 14:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

That's because it has the population to support an actual high end community. Now I've been operating under the assumption the OP was looking for groups of high end players to level them up and bring them through CL135 and above content so they can progress into the upper reaches of their characters power. Players need to be able to provide meaningful contribution to these things and going half *** under-powered DD isn't contributing ***. A half-assed under-powered BRD / GEO / WHM or even roll COR can contribute to that mid range of content by freeing up a more powerful player.

Now if OP is looking for a social group to *** around with, well there are those too.

I agree with you one-hundred percent. I'm not familiar with the social, less aggressive side of Asura, so I couldn't quite make a comment on that end of the spectrum. If that's the case just seems like a little more effort might be needed? We all have a tolerance level on what we want to do in this game. Some go way overboard (I admit to being one of them), others are content farming beads, and slaying away in reisen doing nothing.
[+]
 Asura.Elazar
user: Elazar1
By Asura.Elazar 2018-12-12 14:06:04
Link | Quote | Reply

More people trying to run before they can walk... oh let’s watch twitch. Shits easy... oh wait but I want it all now.. yup if you cannot find people to do low tier things here, just quit again..
[+]
By Afania 2018-12-12 14:08:27
Link | Quote | Reply

His point is probably to indicate the fact that many "endgame ls" on small server seems to be more social/endgame hybrid, or an offspring from social ls or something, which remind connected with their original social ls. The separation between endgame ls and social ls is often pretty blurred.
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2018-12-12 14:08:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Nobody just decided to force all newbies to play support to get a spot. If you reactivated with friends from the old days, maintained your social connections, etc, you're going to get to play what you want. If you make friends with people before trying to get a spot as a job, you'll probably get to play what you want.

If nobody has any reason to want you there past what you have to offer, you need to be offering what they want. What do 99% of groups want? Other people to play support so they can run their own DPS. It is how it is because it's the logical progression of things.

You need to either make yourself useful on a support job, or make some friends and make your DPS competitive, either works. Nobody wants to replace their top tier DPS with someone who'll be lucky to do 80% as much damage. If you're friends with a group and they know you have all your gear in line, wear hybrid and accuracy when necessary, etc, they will almost certainly give you a chance to play it.

If you have nothing from omen, nothing from dynamis, underwhelming oseem augs.. you aren't going to fill a primary DPS slot for a group who knows what they're doing. It just won't happen.

When I came back I had not played since abyssea. I talked my friends back in to playing, we built up connections, talked to other players, and everything is going fine on a pretty dead server. Pretty much exactly what I did. We all took the time to gear different jobs so we can all switch off, and found players with like mindsets to join us. I couldn't be happier with my play time to be honest. Only things out of range at the moment are Wave 3 bosses, and master trials, which is more of a lack of experience than skill I think.
[+]
By Afania 2018-12-12 14:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
if people want to move to asura then let them. If people don't then asura doesn't want you anyways.

This, Asura doesn't care if you like them or not. You either stay and take advantage of it, or leave if it's not the right place. 2900 people on the server could use a little bit less congestions probably.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2018-12-12 14:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

They should turn Asura into a lv 75 legacy server so we can merge the 2 thread topics into one.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-12-12 14:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, need everyone to move to Asura until the server can't handle it and SE has to close access or split it. Then we can argue over whether Asura1 or Asura2 is better.
[+]
By Afania 2018-12-12 14:12:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, need everyone to move to Asura until the server can't handle it and SE has to close access

No, I need to buy my HQs =(
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2018-12-12 14:34:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Danznukem said: »
Asura.Reichleiu said: »
@Danznukem

What content are you and your friends currently clearing? What content are you looking to start doing more of?

currently, 1 friend lost his account ALL together so he started from scratch. recently got his runefencer to 99 and hes currently working on GEO as well. anotehr friend is working on his alt account he is currently getting BLU leveled and plans to go on a spell hunting spree. iv been pretty much carrying them AOE burning on my BLU/BST as a trio we can't accomplish mush at the moment. i have some gear but i wouldn't exactly call it end game worthy. or heck i might even have trouble at apex mobs. so basicly 2/3 are in fresh 99 status. and i'm in a limbo phase where i have some gear to help carry on leveling and grindy things. but not exactly kitted out to carry them on other content like ambuscade or even AA fights other than VE for papers. trusts don't work well at all in these instances and are basically tissue papper. only smart trust is aparuru

If they're in need of something better than 117 equipment, this should get them into something passable for Ambuscade:
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Fresh_99/RoE_Intermediate_Quest/119_Gear_Guide
[+]
 Asura.Syto
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2018-12-12 14:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

/thread

Happy Holidays from Asura... ^_^
[+]
 Asura.Trumpet
user: Trumpet
By Asura.Trumpet 2018-12-12 16:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Just want to chime in, having started completely fresh on asura with a few friends some months ago, don't fret about getting to "end game" super quick. I spent probably 2 weeks with my trio trying out different job combos and getting small gear upgrades just to beat our first v1ve ambuscade and unlock oboro weapons. It was horribly inefficient. We died. A lot. We had to go farm outdated gear for upgrades (beatific shield!) bc we couldn't farm the fancy ruaun/res gear.

It was also a ton of fun! We had a blast and learned a bunch about the games different jobs and mechanics in the process. The gear is way more satisfying that way too :)
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-12-12 16:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Or come to a smaller server where we're always very welcome and will try fit you in on jobs you like to play as we do our best to adapt to what you enjoy playing. Of course it always helps to be versatile, you won't always get to play what you want, and on a smaller server it's even more crucial to have several jobs. Don't need a big server to get things done and enjoy it. You just need a little extra patience as you can't join random PUGs and achieve right away. It's more work, but probably way more fulfilling unless you're looking to collect every major thing in the game
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9