So What Is Up With The Anti-pup Movement?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So what is up with the anti-pup movement?
So what is up with the anti-pup movement?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-05-10 15:42:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw a yell in jeuno about hahava {looking for members.}. So I shoot the guy a tell, "Can I go pup?". "No." "Come something that procs or don't come at all." he tells me. Da hell....? Ok I understand pup isn't the top tier DD. I happen to have a decently geared pup for pummel (I'm gonna eventually build veres but atm dynamis and farmig my relic for sam is taking most of my time). It's not like my damage is BAD. I've seen plenty of other DDs that would get wrecked in a parse by my pup. Also, last I checked, pup has every h2h but Asuran Fists, AND the puppet themselves contain about 12 or so unique procs... So where does this person's logic fall under? It has plenty of procs and it can DD. I know pup =/= mnk, but can all of these stuck up people get over themselves already? kthx
[+]
 Carbuncle.Enuyasha
Server: Carbuncle
user: Enuyasha
By Carbuncle.Enuyasha 2012-05-10 15:47:51
Link | Quote | Reply

PUP/mnk has more procs than MNK

but i have no plausible idea why PUP cant get an invite....i wanted to do PW with PUP and the guy also went "seriously, PUP?"
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-10 15:49:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Same reason people don't like DNC.

PUP looks cuter than WAR/MNK/SAM/DRKetc.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Enuyasha
Server: Carbuncle
user: Enuyasha
By Carbuncle.Enuyasha 2012-05-10 15:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Same reason people don't like DNC.

PUP looks cuter than WAR/MNK/SAM/DRKetc.
funny thing is i have both PUP and DNC...im ALWAYS told to go on BLU :(
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-10 16:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

cuter than BLU too :(
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-05-10 16:13:29
Link | Quote | Reply

reject a pup from joining your group, your next 10 white proc's are all pup
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-10 16:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

^ also a mathematical fact
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2012-05-10 16:15:50
Link | Quote | Reply

What is PUP?
 Asura.Tamoa
Server: Asura
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2012-05-10 16:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Pup for Hahava is fine, Hahava is a pushover. Pup for PW? No.
 Odin.Minefield
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2012-05-10 16:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »
What is PUP?
Baby don't punch me- -don't punch me- -no more♪
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-05-10 16:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Just depends what I have in the alliance and what I need. If I'm 3/18 sure come pup but if I'm 15/18 and need specific proc'ing jobs no prolly not bringing a pup. That said a pup has a better chance of getting into my alliance over a bst and dnc.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-10 16:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

People need to stop using "PW" because I'm not sure if they mean Provenance Watcher or Pandemonium Warden.
[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2012-05-10 16:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I think people have lol'd at Pup since it came out...
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-05-10 16:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Same reason you see shouts for E/R/M DD for city paths. People are dumb.
[+]
 Fenrir.Minjo
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-05-10 16:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

PUP, on average, will perform worse than most non-PUP. PUP's procs seldom matter.

There's really no mystery here.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-05-10 16:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never seen an automaton proc, I've gone pup plenty of times with my LS and the auto dies before it ever gets a WS off. I'm not going to invite some watered down mnk, when i can invite a gimp mnk to do h2h/staff/club so I don't have to.
 Bahamut.Zangada
Server: Bahamut
user: zangada
By Bahamut.Zangada 2012-05-10 16:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

People have always been on the "This job sucks" bandwagon without ever knowing the persons gear/skills. No job is usless only usless ppl who cant comprehend how to use it correctly.

Every job can proc in Vw so saying no come a job that can proc. is just contradicting yourself. Declining a job that has unique proc. just cause its not a top DD is just ignorant.
[+]
 Bahamut.Fistandantilus
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Fistandantilus 2012-05-10 16:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

"IgnoTorrent!"
 Ragnarok.Taereon
Server: Ragnarok
user: Halo4
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2012-05-10 17:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes you just want to play PUP! I've gotten a few of those "No PUP!" /tells myself and it's a tragedy, because like everyone has already said PUP/Automaton becomes that much needed proc for every pop. The last few have been my responding to those shouts that don't include the jobs they're looking for in the info.

You could save us all the trouble by putting NO PUP in the shout or list the specific jobs you're looking for like anyone with half a brain does already...
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-10 17:08:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously though, PUP is a job that CAN perform well under ideal circumstances with excellent gear in the hands of a decent player.

That said, the same player would probably be better off bringing their skill to a more useful job. Moreover, how often are you willing to bet your random pickup is 95th percentile or higher?
[+]
 Cerberus.Balloon
By Cerberus.Balloon 2012-05-10 17:13:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole skill/gear argument doesn't cut it when it comes to Puppetmaster in voidwatch. The job is quantifiable worse than mnk, automatons lack basic accuracy, buffs and other essentials, and the master alone is worse than a monk in comparable gear.

I love pup, but pet jobs have been screwed over a lot by SE, the only thing that could redeem them is allowing Temps to hit both master and pet and to let outside buffs affect automatons, even then it's debatable how much that'd help.

As it stands, pup cannot compete in VW, and it's difficult to even proc correctly. I'd take a mnk everytime. That being said, there's absolutely no reason to not take one for City Tiers
[+]
 Odin.Cett
user: Cett69
By Odin.Cett 2012-05-10 17:13:08
Link | Quote | Reply

You have plenty of other jobs that are considered useful in voidwatch Eik. Lets say you REALLY wanted to do Hahava, well then instead of creating a useless rant post go change your job and join the group. I find your choice of action more illogical than the person who turned you down. The game doesn't revolve around what Eikechi wants to do, but I'm sure you'd rather just be useless to those around you first and foremost.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-05-10 17:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zangada said: »
People have always been on the "This job sucks" bandwagon without ever knowing the persons gear/skills. No job is usless only usless ppl who cant comprehend how to use it correctly.

Every job can proc in Vw so saying no come a job that can proc. is just contradicting yourself. Declining a job that has unique proc. just cause its not a top DD is just ignorant.
You don't need every single proc in the alliance to successfully complete the great majority of VW fights. Most people opt to get the most common ones then fill up with heavy DD to make sure fights go by quickly and efficiently. Its not ignorance, its just the path of least resistance.
 Ragnarok.Taereon
Server: Ragnarok
user: Halo4
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2012-05-10 17:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You're right about Pups circumstantial use. I just hate looking through an alliance where I've been asked to come Drk after listing my jobs only to see 1 or 2 guys already on Drk. I'm able to DD and proc those damn automaton procs on Pup.
 Siren.Fupafighters
Server: Siren
By Siren.Fupafighters 2012-05-10 17:20:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The job is "cute" I guess lol. The job is not meant for zerging, just like ANY pet job. Get used to it. I have mnk and pup both well geared with verethregna, and I woulnd't bring pup to VW unless they for some reason wanted EVERY possible proc they could get.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-10 17:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Balloon said: »
The whole skill/gear argument doesn't cut it when it comes to Puppetmaster in voidwatch. The job is quantifiable worse than mnk, automatons lack basic accuracy, buffs and other essentials, and the master alone is worse than a monk in comparable gear.

I love pup, but pet jobs have been screwed over a lot by SE, the only thing that could redeem them is allowing Temps to hit both master and pet and to let outside buffs affect automatons, even then it's debatable how much that'd help.

As it stands, pup cannot compete in VW, and it's difficult to even proc correctly. I'd take a mnk everytime. That being said, there's absolutely no reason to not take one for City Tiers

I didn't say it was ideal, I said it could perform well, but the player would be better off on a different job. If an exceptional player is set on coming PUP because they ...god knows why, it's possible to contribute just fine (for most fights).

I'll repeat though, how often are you willing to bet that random PUP is 95th percentile or above?
 Phoenix.Degs
Server: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2012-05-10 17:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I "usually" have no issue getting an invite with PUP....but there will always be the random person who thinks they are better than everyone else.

I think one of the stigma's about pup is the AF... EMP gear is better but even the head piece is crappy looking.... I know they were trying to make it look a certain way to keep with the Job...but alot of it looks straigh up silly
 Shiva.Galbir
Server: Shiva
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-05-10 17:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Degs said: »
I think one of the stigma's about pup is the AF... EMP gear is better but even the head piece is crappy looking.... I know they were trying to make it look a certain way to keep with the Job...but alot of it looks straigh up silly
What? Since when has the way a jobs gear looked changed the way it preforms?

As has been said a lot of the problems with pup in (high tier)VW is the fact that autos don't receive temps and die quickly. Once they're dead you're left with a watered down monk.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6