So What Is Up With The Anti-pup Movement?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So what is up with the anti-pup movement?
So what is up with the anti-pup movement?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 05:15:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Bismarck.Jonadriel said: »
Puppetmaster is not one of those jobs that u can just reserch info, burn it in abyssea and expect to play it fine. That's why there are so many pups that suxs out there. That's my point.
besides skilling up your automaton, you really can just pick it up and play like any other job.

I don't a gree with that, u have to know the combinations of head and frames, u have to know the attachemnts and how they work, how to combine them and make maneuvors to trigger the puppets AI and then apply it on the different situations. Is not a job that goes engage, get TP and then hit WS.
You can look up everything you need to know about attachments and frames.

Ok, look up how u can make your puppet cast silence as first enfeble when fighting mobs that cast magic or look for how u can make it cast paralysis enfeble first when fighting mobs with high att speed etc.
Soulsoother

Just look at the priority based on maneuvers.

Maybe I will level PUP tomorrow after all!
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-05-11 05:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Sugarpanda said: »
Odin.Eikechi said: »
each maneuver is tied to certain debuffs. have it active first and it will force cast that debuff. But this is subject to checks. You won't silence ninjas or brds, because they have no mp. It just won't work.

Well yes I knew this but my pup sometimes casts silence on monsters that doesn't even use magic when I have wind maneuver up. I thought there was some trick that will make it only cast if the monster is a caster...
Looked it up.
 Siren.Sugarpanda
Server: Siren
By Siren.Sugarpanda 2012-05-11 05:20:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok Austar, what if you also need to heal and recover MP :o
You already have ice and wind maneuver up.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-05-11 05:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Heal you or the auto?
 Shiva.Damonz
Server: Shiva
user: Damonz
By Shiva.Damonz 2012-05-11 05:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »
each maneuver is tied to certain debuffs. have it active first and it will force cast that debuff. But this is subject to checks. You won't silence ninjas or brds, because they have no mp. It just won't work.

Well yes I knew this but my pup sometimes casts silence on monsters that doesn't even use magic when I have wind maneuver up. I thought there was some trick that will make it only cast if the monster is a caster...
Looked it up.

Stop doing that jobs take years to master and if you didn't lvl them the old way you will never be able to play them as good as people that did.
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
Server: Bismarck
user: Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2012-05-11 05:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

THis is getting off the point. THis thread was to point out that PUPs were not being invited to VW cause ppl think they won't perform good. I am not saying PUP is the top DD just because it does great dmg, I am saying it does great dmg so there is no point in not inviting it to VW. This is not a job vs. job thing, is a matter of considering PUP to join VW runs like any other job cause it can bring good stuff to it and not just take the space for some other ukon war or vere mnk.
Consider the freakin job, ppl have fun playing it and they want to play it on VW too cause they know it can do good.
 Shiva.Damonz
By Shiva.Damonz 2012-05-11 05:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

THis is getting off the point. THis thread was to point out that PUPs were not being invited to VW cause ppl think they won't perform good. I am not saying PUP is the top DD just because it does great dmg, I am saying it does great dmg so there is no point in not inviting it to VW. This is not a job vs. job thing, is a matter of consdering PUP to join VW runs like any other job cause it can bring good stuff to it and not just take the space for some other ukon war or vere mnk.
Consider the freakin job, ppl have fun playing it and they want to play it on VW too cause they know it can do good.
This was addressed on page 3 maybe you missed it
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 05:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Auto at full HP? Deactivate, activate, light maneuver, deply.

If not, and my HP is higher than Auto's max, Role Reversal > Deactivate > Activate > Light Maneuver > Deploy.

Or for a third option...

Deactivate --> Deus Ex Automata --> Light Maneuver --> Deploy ---> Repair ---> Deactivate @ full HP --> Activate.

PUP 13 folks.
Because understanding job mechanics is hard.
[+]
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2012-05-11 05:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »

If not, and my HP is higher than Auto's max, Role Reversal > Deactivate > Activate > Light Maneuver > Deploy.

Or for a third option...

Deactivate --> Deus Ex Automata --> Light Maneuver --> Deploy ---> Repair ---> Deactivate @ full HP --> Activate.

PUP 13 folks.

or if not in a hurry do a dark maneuvor to activate Economizer and refresh... :/ Not always have max hp or need to sacrifice the puppet... But guess that something u learn in the practice before the DEA was added.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-05-11 05:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Or for a third option...

PUP 13 folks.

or if not in a hurry do a dark maneuvor to activate Economizer and refresh... :/ Not always have max hp or need to sacrifice the puppet... But guess that something u learn in the practice before the DEA was added.
If you need cures and no MP, I'd say you're in a hurry.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 05:52:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyway, this is why we make fun of people when they say "You don't have this job levelled SO YOU DON'T KNOW."
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 05:54:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Also anyway, people need to stop thinking that when one says "PUP doesn't really fit well with current content" that we're saying that "PUP is inherently a bad job."

It isn't, there just isn't any content that dictates "Hell, I wish I had brought a PUP today."

You can ask Austar or Minjo, I've been threatening to level PUP for over 24 hours. Why would I want to level it if I thought it were bad?
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2012-05-11 05:56:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Also anyway, people need to stop thinking that when one says "PUP doesn't really fit well with current content" that we're saying that "PUP is inherently a bad job."

It isn't, there just isn't any content that dictates "Hell, I wish I had brought a PUP today."

You can ask Austar or Minjo, I've been threatening to level PUP for over 24 hours. Why would I want to level it if I thought it were bad?
Just to troll with ppl. U already have that reputation.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 05:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

To further emphasize the seriousness of my statements:

Quote:
Also anyway, people need to stop thinking that when one says "DNC doesn't really fit well with current content" that we're saying that "DNC is inherently a bad job."

It isn't, there just isn't any content that dictates "Hell, I wish I had brought a DNC today."

This fits for my one-true-love, too, save loldyna.
 Shiva.Damonz
By Shiva.Damonz 2012-05-11 05:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyway, this is why we make fun of people when they say "You don't have this job levelled SO YOU DON'T KNOW."
In those peoples defense, there is something to be said to reflex actions on jobs you are familiar with as opposed to having to think and try and remember what things do, or where you put that macro. But that's something you can get in a few days (weeks tops), and not any different than playing a job you lvled years ago but rarely play anymore.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 05:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, I level jobs just to troll people. Okay.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-05-11 05:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

He really has been wanting to level it.
 Siren.Sugarpanda
By Siren.Sugarpanda 2012-05-11 06:01:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I still think that though, maybe you are able to find all the little details you need to excel in a job but I doubt most people are.

I can honestly say that I have read all the pages there is about pup and played it before abyssea and hands up I can say that I don't know how to excel on pup yet.
Things that you didnt consider before always comes up and only practise makes you perfect.

What comes to VW, I dont even offer my PUP for VW yet as I know I wouldn't know where to even begin with it but if I was in a point where I was confident that I knew the job inside and out I would bring pup out to all events.
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2012-05-11 06:01:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Good for him. I bet he will have lots of fun in it. Maybe as much as wanting to take it to VW too or actully get to understand it enough ( I said understand it, not just know how it works) as to allow or want to have a PUP in his shouts.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 06:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I still think that though, maybe you are able to find all the little details you need to excel in a job but I doubt most people are.

I can honestly say that I have read all the pages there is about pup and played it before abyssea and hands up I can say that I don't know how to excel on pup yet.
Things that you didnt consider before always comes up and only practise makes you perfect.

What comes to VW, I dont even offer my PUP for VW yet as I know I wouldn't know where to even begin with it but if I was in a point where I was confident that I knew the job inside and out I would bring pup out to all events.

You've sort of just rephrased what I've said like 50 times (exaggerating, it's 2 or 3)

Yes, PUP can perform well (but not as good as a standard DD), but only in the hands of an exceptionally-geared, and very skilled player.

How willing are you to bet that that random PUP you don't know is 95th percentile or higher and will perform beyond the level of dead weight?

For most (reasonable) people, the answer is not very.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 06:05:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Good for him. I bet he will have lots of fun in it. Maybe as much as wanting to take it to VW too or actully get to understand it enough ( I said understand it, not just know how it works) as to allow or want to have a PUP in his shouts.

I've taken you on PUP over other people before, just because I know Kenkonken is ridiculously OP and you can do well versus standard VW WARs who aren't even eating food.
 Siren.Sugarpanda
By Siren.Sugarpanda 2012-05-11 06:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I still think that though, maybe you are able to find all the little details you need to excel in a job but I doubt most people are. I can honestly say that I have read all the pages there is about pup and played it before abyssea and hands up I can say that I don't know how to excel on pup yet. Things that you didnt consider before always comes up and only practise makes you perfect. What comes to VW, I dont even offer my PUP for VW yet as I know I wouldn't know where to even begin with it but if I was in a point where I was confident that I knew the job inside and out I would bring pup out to all events.
You've sort of just rephrased what I've said like 50 times (exaggerating, it's 2 or 3) Yes, PUP can perform well (but not as good as a standard DD), but only in the hands of an exceptionally-geared, and very skilled player. How willing are you to bet that that random PUP you don't know is 95th percentile or higher and will perform beyond the level of dead weight? For most (reasonable) people, the answer is not very.

LOL I like the capitals - makes me understand it better :P

And this brings me down to the point that majority of the people wouldn't know which one is head and which one is legs by just reading stuff up online :)
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 06:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't invite those people to my alliances :(
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-05-11 06:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I still think that though, maybe you are able to find all the little details you need to excel in a job but I doubt most people are. I can honestly say that I have read all the pages there is about pup and played it before abyssea and hands up I can say that I don't know how to excel on pup yet. Things that you didnt consider before always comes up and only practise makes you perfect. What comes to VW, I dont even offer my PUP for VW yet as I know I wouldn't know where to even begin with it but if I was in a point where I was confident that I knew the job inside and out I would bring pup out to all events.
You've sort of just rephrased what I've said like 50 times (exaggerating, it's 2 or 3) Yes, PUP can perform well (but not as good as a standard DD), but only in the hands of an exceptionally-geared, and very skilled player. How willing are you to bet that that random PUP you don't know is 95th percentile or higher and will perform beyond the level of dead weight? For most (reasonable) people, the answer is not very.

LOL I like the capitals - makes me understand it better :P

And this brings me down to the point that majority of the people wouldn't know which one is head and which one is legs by just reading stuff up online :)
And those people are terrible at any job, not just PUP.
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2012-05-11 06:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I've taken you on PUP over other people before, just because I know Kenkonken is ridiculously OP and you can do well versus standard VW WARs who aren't even eating food.
You forgetting my puppet can heal as good as any WHM in th alliance doing cure VI and removing enfebles wile I focus on DD and procs. sadly it will heal only ppl in the party, not alliance.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 06:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

You forgetting my puppet can heal as good as any WHM in th alliance doing cure VI and removing enfebles wile I focus on DD and procs. sadly it will heal only ppl in the party, not alliance.

But your RNG puppet was the only reason you won the parse. If I need cures, I'll invite a WHM or a SCH.
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2012-05-11 06:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

But your RNG puppet was the only reason you won the parse. If I need cures, I'll invite a WHM or a SCH.
RNG puppet is not always best for all VW mobs ince it's def sux.
And why just get another WHM or SCH when u can have both dmg and healing in the same member slot? This works awesome with high dmg aoe mobs.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 06:11:32
Link | Quote | Reply

That's right, I'm nice enough to credit your pet in your %!
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-05-11 06:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, but having a cure timer of ~15 seconds isn't going to compete with a WHM healing.
[+]
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2012-05-11 06:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, but having a cure timer of ~15 seconds isn't going to compete with a WHM healing.
True, but sometimes WHMs don't heal that much and WHMs won't do dmg as same time as healing. Also WHM puppet have a faster response than a WHM since as soon as the dmg is taken, a second later is casting either the magic to remove the enfeble or the cure VI.