So What Is Up With The Anti-pup Movement?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So what is up with the anti-pup movement?
So what is up with the anti-pup movement?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Degs
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2012-05-10 17:30:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Im saying when the job came out, people looked at it and LOLPUP crap....
 Sylph.Kawar
Server: Sylph
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2012-05-10 17:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said: »
I think people have lol'd at Pup since it came out...
i have seen this happen my self. but i also know a few pups and they play really well,it is all the player,if the player makes 1 wrong move it can mess up the fight but over all i like pups.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-10 17:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Galbir said: »
What? Since when has the way a jobs gear looked changed the way it preforms?

what the *** game are you playing?
[+]
 Shiva.Galbir
Server: Shiva
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-05-10 17:33:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Degs said: »
Im saying when the job came out, people looked at it and LOLPUP crap....
That had nothing to do with the way the af or relic looked. Hell when pup was first introduced it didn't even have af or relic...

The problem back then was that not many people understood how to play it properly. Then the few that did chose other jobs that could preform better without the high amount of tp feed.

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
What? Since when has the way a jobs gear looked changed the way it preforms?

what the *** game are you playing?
Am I being wooshed? Are we talking about aesthetics changing the way a job preforms?
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-05-10 17:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

PUP also had crappy gear to use.
[+]
 Bismarck.Cicada
Server: Bismarck
user: Narshee
By Bismarck.Cicada 2012-05-10 17:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
PUP also had crappy gear to use.
This^ SE still gives it mage gear for no apparent reason.
[+]
 Cerberus.Balloon
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Balloon 2012-05-10 17:39:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Balloon said: »
The whole skill/gear argument doesn't cut it when it comes to Puppetmaster in voidwatch. The job is quantifiable worse than mnk, automatons lack basic accuracy, buffs and other essentials, and the master alone is worse than a monk in comparable gear.

I love pup, but pet jobs have been screwed over a lot by SE, the only thing that could redeem them is allowing Temps to hit both master and pet and to let outside buffs affect automatons, even then it's debatable how much that'd help.

As it stands, pup cannot compete in VW, and it's difficult to even proc correctly. I'd take a mnk everytime. That being said, there's absolutely no reason to not take one for City Tiers

I didn't say it was ideal, I said it could perform well, but the player would be better off on a different job. If an exceptional player is set on coming PUP because they ...god knows why, it's possible to contribute just fine (for most fights).

I'll repeat though, how often are you willing to bet that random PUP is 95th percentile or above?

That was more aimed at Zangada, I agree with you that PUP can perform ok as long as they're extremely well geared, yet I think that in that situation they'd probably have other well geared jobs.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-10 17:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I being wooshed? Are we talking about aesthetics changing the way a job preforms?

there is zero reason to play a job if the armor is ugly.
[+]
 Shiva.Galbir
Server: Shiva
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-05-10 17:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I stopped caring about that when I learned how to .dat swap.

Though speaking aesthetically Nin> all.
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-05-10 17:46:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Taereon said: »
Sometimes you just want to play PUP!

EXACTLY! Sometimes my masa (soon to be Amano) sam just isn't what I want to play... My samurai SHREDS people in parses, and I give 0 f***s. Some days I just want to punch stuff and use pummel.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-10 17:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I stopped caring about that when I learned how to .dat swap.

Though speaking aesthetically Nin> all.

dnc
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-05-10 18:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Ryuotas said: »
Siren.Kalilla said: »
reject a pup from joining your group, your next 10 white proc's are all pup

That actually happened to me once. Some of my LS mates were in the same VW, and some blm D2'd me before we disbanded to reform the parties for the actual fight. He said "bring a useful job". Then my LS told me they got both a 3 and 5 proc (HQ and extreme), that were pup in only 4 kills of Pil. They were pretty upset actually because I didn't return to the fight. I just stepped out and let them go and do their thing.

Post deleted by User.
By Brolli 2012-05-10 18:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I like pup af, it looks cute on hume f and elvaan m
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-05-10 18:23:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Brolli said: »
I like pup af, it looks cute on hume f and elvaan m
I think its the most creative of all the AF3s. Its got juggling knives and ***.
 Carbuncle.Enuyasha
Server: Carbuncle
user: Enuyasha
By Carbuncle.Enuyasha 2012-05-10 18:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Enuyasha said: »
PUP/mnk has more procs than MNK

still ignoring this i see :<

the excuse that PUP "cant DD or Zerg" is outrageous. PUP with maxed out atmacites and a good pummel set can easily go toe to toe with any DD as well as outdo any DD.

now, granted most of the PUPs these days are bandwagon Dynamis-Farm PUPs but a career PUP who knows what they are doing is very valuable from a DD standpoint.

also, it is kind of bad that the only thing we have that affects pets is the healing salve and the clear salves. If we even get those...might be confusing with eazy buton abyzea
 Cerberus.Eugene
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2012-05-10 18:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

it's not the puppetmaster, it's the puppet. they're freaky

[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-05-10 18:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't see what that is :(
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-05-10 18:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

"First world problems" Tell pup he's gimp.. extremely valoredge X-900
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-05-10 18:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It's pup related, aren't missing anything.
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
user: Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2012-05-11 02:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to agree with the OP. Many ppl look down on PUP and ignores it's value, not only in VW but also in many other end game and non end game events. I go PUP to most if not all VW shouts in my server and only had one person rejecting me cause of me being PUP. I thank my server for trusting me. Even in my ls events I go PUP/MNK and i take care of the H2H, MNK, PUP and puppet procs since there is no MNK when i go. And i have found that i have outdmg most DDs. Only the top tier DDs with awesome gear i can't outdmg them. And even is not all about outdmging, is about surviving. I don't usually use a melee puppet since it will die fast and requires more attention. I use WHM puppet cause it will keep me alive and help the alliance whms heal the ppl in my group. Believe me, is a very reliable and fast response heal, removing enfebles and doing regen IVs to whoever is tanking it.
So i recomend PUPs everywhere to use their WHM puppets instead of the others for that reasson. And for the procs don't even worry too much, u can do puppets abilities with whm puppet with the corresponding attachemnt on. And unless is an EX proc, don't see a reasson to stop dding to set the puppet for a proc. And yes, PUP/MNK have more procs than MNK alone.
To those non-PUP friendly guys out there, give PUPs everywhere a try for VW, they can perform fine and get the job done.
And for God's sake...... DON'T FREAKIN PLAY PUP AS A BST!!! SE gave u H2H, use them!!! ><
[+]
 Cerberus.Ustav
user: Ustav
By Cerberus.Ustav 2012-05-11 03:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

the excuse that PUP "cant DD or Zerg" is outrageous. PUP with maxed out atmacites and a good pummel set can easily go toe to toe with any DD as well as outdo any DD.
I love pup but this isn't true at all unless you are dealing w/ severely gimp DDs(which is the case w/ most VW pugs) If the DDs have maxed out Atmacites and proper gear sets it will demolish a pup.

now, granted most of the PUPs these days are bandwagon Dynamis-Farm PUPs but a career PUP who knows what they are doing is very valuable from a DD standpoint.
Maybe I'm missing something but in my server I have not seen an increase in pup in dynamis at all. Whenever I do a search for a zone there's usually 3-6 bst, 1-3 thf and dncs. If anything those jobs would be bandwagon dynamis jobs(or maybe I misunderstood what you were saying).

The reason people are so hesitant to invite a pup is due to all the gimp pos out there wearing af or aurore gear. Every job has players that are complete derps but its but for some reason you hardly ever see a rly pimped out pup.

Unfortunately it takes a skilled player to unlock the full potential of pup... which the pup community seems to lack D=
By Thanzo187 2012-05-11 03:42:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I see nothing wrong with pups af pupetmaster would be like an entertainer of sorts so their AF fits since jesters or fools were entertainers for kings and queens anyways i'm going to level a pup cause I have vere :D my monk loves it but now I can be like you want pup or monk so I can always be using my vere
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 03:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Never thought I'd see the terms "PUP" and "Bandwagon" adjacent to each other.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-11 03:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not like I invite monks to vw cause I think they're the best DDs, so to me pup or monk is the same. However it's so true that many random pup you meet are...weird. Last time I partied with one he was just standing there throwing the puppet at the mob and getting close only when h2h was called and doing 1 ws at a time, waiting on regain...but then again I've also partied with a mythic pup who actually fought alongside his pets and made other dds look pathetic in comparison.
So random noobs can be met on any job so it's not like pup is a special case. On Phoenix we have an awesome Ragnarok drk who parses fights as high as a whm. Good or bad players exist for every job, that being said, pup wouldn't be my first pick when shouting either.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 04:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The difference between PUP and "top DD" is that PUP is much weaker naturally, so there's absolutely no room for error.

Yes, you can push the job to its limits and come out competitively, but if you can do that, you would have, most likely, done better on another job.

Most PUPs floating around aren't pushing the job to its limits. Lets face it: the intersection of "pet job enthusiasts" and "excellent players" is pretty small comparative to the size of either of the two groups.
[+]
By krish 2012-05-11 04:11:04
Link | Quote | Reply

A PUP killed my father, prepare to die!
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
user: Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2012-05-11 04:30:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The difference between PUP and "top DD" is that PUP is much weaker naturally, so there's absolutely no room for error.

Yes, you can push the job to its limits and come out competitively, but if you can do that, you would have, most likely, done better on another job.

Most PUPs floating around aren't pushing the job to its limits. Lets face it: the intersection of "pet job enthusiasts" and "excellent players" is pretty small comparative to the size of either of the two groups.
Is not a matter of making a DD job or not. Jobs are not limitted to DD, tanks, healers and suports anymore. There is a mix of all, and there are things that PUP can do that a top DD can't and vice versa. If someone lvl PUP and work it out to make it all it can be, is not just to make it like a top DD, is to make his PUP, the job he enyoy, the best it can be. PUP might not be the best fit for some stuff like VW, but it can do the job and perform well and there is no point in not conidering an asset in a VW group.