So What Is Up With The Anti-pup Movement?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So what is up with the anti-pup movement?
So what is up with the anti-pup movement?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 06:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

My fursona is Nicki Minaj.

Seriously though, taking PUP to 30 next time I leave Abyssea and taking it all the way.

Gonna make Austar help me farm Chloris.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-11 06:39:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll move to Fenrir to join the cool kids, we can form the FFXI Special Olympics Squad, BLUs, DNCs, and PUPs only. Everyone else will be like, "Wow we should have seen the light, they just trio'd Provenance Watcher"

Megatron don't got ***on this
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-05-11 06:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
My fursona is Nicki Minaj.

Seriously though, taking PUP to 30 next time I leave Abyssea and taking it all the way.

Gonna make Austar help me farm Chloris.
make novi do it :(
 Ramuh.Austar
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-05-11 06:41:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I'll move to Fenrir to join the cool kids, we can form the FFXI Special Olympics Squad, BLUs, DNCs, and PUPs only. Everyone else will be like, "Wow we should have seen the light, they just trio'd Provenance Watcher"

those are all the three worst jobs in the game.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 06:42:02
Link | Quote | Reply

You forgot DRG.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-11 06:42:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »

those are all the three best jobs in the game.

I know, that's why it was my idea!

You forgot DRG.

Only their Wyverns are invited
By Xenshi 2012-05-11 07:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I think most people don't play Puppetmaster because they simply don't have the skill necessary to play it. >.> Same can be said about Blu and Drg a bit. There are some jobs that require you to have certain skills/gear to play at least decently. Yes Voidwatch groups have kind of settled into this phase of you want certain jobs to have the best success of winning, but like most everything else in this game, there's a point where it can be done with almost anything. People just don't like to try new things sometimes sadly and it kind of keeps some aspects of the game boring, for me at least.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 07:28:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Xenshi said: »
I think most people don't play Puppetmaster because they simply don't have the skill necessary to play it. >.> Same can be said about Blu and Drg a bit. There are some jobs that require you to have certain skills/gear to play at least decently. Yes Voidwatch groups have kind of settled into this phase of you want certain jobs to have the best success of winning, but like most everything else in this game, there's a point where it can be done with almost anything. People just don't like to try new things sometimes sadly and it kind of keeps some aspects of the game boring, for me at least.

We've gone over this before.

1.) Exceptional players are good at whatever jobs they play and are capable of taking hybrid/disadvantaged jobs to new heights

2.) Bad players are bad at whatever jobs they play, but have more room to budge on "less complicated" jobs.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-11 07:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Dragoon is complicated since when?
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 07:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »

Completely missed that. Yeah, what?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-11 07:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Managing 3 gear sets is pretty extreme

you'll never be as extreme as this though

Valefor.Omerta
user: arouis
By Valefor.Omerta 2012-05-11 08:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
It's not complicated, but a VERY small handful take advantage of their various defensive subjobs. I love to solo DRG/Blu for example. I haven't tried a Mage sub @ 99 (unsure as to the best one tbh, I'd wager it's still /Blu for defensive capabilities, low mp cost/fast cast spells) but yeah, every nob grabs an Ereptor/Patentia/Vogius and goes /Sam hur dur. Stardiver annoys me as Drakes took me a while to get back in the day and no, outside, it's 2nd best :(
 Leviathan.Iddy
Server: Leviathan
user: Idril
By Leviathan.Iddy 2012-05-11 08:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 08:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Managing 3 gear sets is pretty extreme

you'll never be as extreme as this though

Told you you were a furry.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2012-05-11 09:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

As awesome and hilarious as this whole thread has been this one jumped out at me:

Siren.Sugarpanda said: »
Anyway, this is why we make fun of people when they say "You don't have this job levelled SO YOU DON'T KNOW."
I still think that though, maybe you are able to find all the little details you need to excel in a job but I doubt most people are. I can honestly say that I have read all the pages there is about pup and played it before abyssea and hands up I can say that I don't know how to excel on pup yet. Things that you didnt consider before always comes up and only practise makes you perfect.

There are many routes to mastery of a craft; practice is only one of them. You should maybe consider FFXI an opportunity to develop your critical thinking skills.
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-05-11 15:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Iddy said: »

Hey come on! lol
 Carbuncle.Enuyasha
Server: Carbuncle
user: Enuyasha
By Carbuncle.Enuyasha 2012-05-11 15:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

PUP/mnk still has more procs than MNK /._./~~~~~~|_______|

I dont even know why i started looking things up :|
 Lakshmi.Jimmothy
Guildwork Premium
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Jimmothy 2012-05-11 16:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Damonz said: »
Bismarck.Jonadriel said: »
Shiva.Damonz said: »
lol I don't think anyone here is honestly trying to talk you out of playing pup, you're just putting up invalid arguments for playing a job you like. There should only be 1 argument you need to make, "I really enjoy pup, and I'm good enough at the job to be better than your average DD, and can cure in a pinch, so I'm not dead weight. (and I can add some extra procs just in case)
Just what i have said, only that i used examples lol
yes but examples of things that other jobs can do will always lead to a comparison of the 2 jobs, and hybrid jobs will always lose in those cases. It's the sacrifice of being versatile.

"Jack of all trades, and master of none"

I just wanted to say one thing about this "...master of none" comment. First of all I wouldn't even call PUP a hybrid job. Is BST or SMN a hybrid job? I don't consider them to be, they are pet jobs. The biggest difference is that our pets are far more versatile than a summon or a jug/charmed pet.

I would say if PUP was a master of anything other than versatility it would be sheer damage dealing using either ranged or melee puppet (depending on the application). People always told me when I was leveling pup in the beginning that I was just a crappy monk with a pet that had poor AI. Those issues have all been solved. With the release of Stringing Pummel which trumps any monk ws by a long shot and is on par with (and depending on how good your ws set is, pulls ahead of) Victory Smite.
 Ramuh.Kailana
user: Kailana
By Ramuh.Kailana 2012-05-11 16:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I like pup, need to level it still as I have a Verethragna... but the title of this thread confuses me. Was there ever a -pro- pup movement? Since the job came out it's been shat upon. Reminds me of the post-penta "nerf" "lol drg/thf" days.

You're all super pups...is there a consolidated source of puppetmaster information anywhere? I have all my af3 +2'd already D:
 Sylph.Annex
Server: Sylph
user: Annex
By Sylph.Annex 2012-05-18 12:08:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
reject a pup from joining your group, your next 10 white proc's are all pup

This totally happend to me. ^^ I was like, can I come pup, and my LS said no come war (stupid Ukon) and 2 of the 6 nms of the jueno tier 1 paths we did had pup proc. /facepalm