So What Is Up With The Anti-pup Movement?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So what is up with the anti-pup movement?
So what is up with the anti-pup movement?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2012-05-11 04:42:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I always thought it was mostly an ignorance thing. No one wants a Puppetmaster because they don't know how it works or what it's truly capable of. I've seen a couple of really good Puppetmasters over the years. But they're fewer and farther between than every other job out there.

And over the years, people have really started to build on the "lolPUP" mentality. Even Square-Enix seems to be in on it; just look at the job emote they gave it. The mage equipment they keep giving it doesn't help either.

Bottom line: People are just going to invite jobs they're more familiar with in any situation. And very, very few people are actually familar with Puppetmaster.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-11 04:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
just look at the job emote they gave it.
Hey, it's really nice for sexy moments!
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 04:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I always thought it was mostly an ignorance thing. No one wants a Puppetmaster because they don't know how it works or what it's truly capable of. I've seen a couple of really good Puppetmasters over the years. But they're fewer and farther between than every other job out there.

And over the years, people have really started to build on the "lolPUP" mentality. Even Square-Enix seems to be in on it; just look at the job emote they gave it. The mage equipment they keep giving it doesn't help either.

Bottom line: People are just going to invite jobs they're more familiar with in any situation. And very, very few people are actually familar with Puppetmaster.

You're right, it has absolutely nothing to do with PUP being noticeably worse than other jobs for most current non-solo content.
[+]
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
Server: Bismarck
user: Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2012-05-11 04:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »

You're right, it has absolutely nothing to do with PUP being noticeably worse than other jobs for most current non-solo content.

Your PUP is lvl13.... your point is invalid. Learn the job before u can talk about what it is good for and what nor.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-11 04:53:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Jonadriel said: »
Your PUP is lvl13.... your point is invalid. Learn the job before u can talk about what it is good for and what nor.
Seriously, this argument again?
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 04:54:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »

[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-05-11 04:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah.. You really don't have to play a job to know its capacity. Just research it. I wouldn't say pup is THAT sub-standard of a DD job though,as many make it out to be.
 Shiva.Damonz
Server: Shiva
user: Damonz
By Shiva.Damonz 2012-05-11 04:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't play with dolls and I don't play with people that do, but seriously it just has more to do with people not being familiar with jobs that aren't cookie cutter, and for the most part the pups you do come across are fairly lackluster.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-11 04:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I died at the Fupafighters part.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 04:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »
Yeah.. You really don't have to play a job to know its capacity. Just research it. I wouldn't say pup is THAT sub-standard of a DD job though,as many make it out to be.

You have two candidates for a position with equivalent qualifications and identical interview performance.

One graduated with a B average and the other with an A average.

Who do you hire?
 Siren.Sugarpanda
Server: Siren
By Siren.Sugarpanda 2012-05-11 04:59:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I think for many other jobs it is valid to say that you can research a job and know it inside out but not for PUP.. It's just very different and you don't know how it works until you play it.

At least that's my opinnion after soloing PUP 0-75 and now being a bit of a noob again with all these new options.
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2012-05-11 04:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Puppetmaster is not one of those jobs that u can just reserch info, burn it in abyssea and expect to play it fine. That's why there are so many pups that suxs out there. That's my point.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-05-11 05:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Puppetmaster is not one of those jobs that u can just reserch info, burn it in abyssea and expect to play it fine. That's why there are so many pups that suxs out there. That's my point.
besides skilling up your automaton, you really can just pick it up and play like any other job.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-11 05:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, pup takes more to learn. Like 30 minutes maybe to get the tricks, unlike monk where you don't even have to think for example. That's a lot of time to learn the job.
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2012-05-11 05:03:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
besides skilling up your automaton, you really can just pick it up and play like any other job.

I don't a gree with that, u have to know the combinations of head and frames, u have to know the attachemnts and how they work, how to combine them and make maneuvors to trigger the puppets AI and then apply it on the different situations. Is not a job that goes engage, get TP and then hit WS.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 05:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, pup takes more to learn. Like 30 minutes maybe to get the tricks, unlike monk where you don't even have to think for example. That's a lot of time to learn the job.

30 minutes? ***, I was going to level PUP tomorrow but screw that. I don't have time for commitments like that.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-05-11 05:04:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't a gree with that, u have to know the combinations of head and frames, u have to know the attachemnts and how they work, how to combine them and make maneuvors to trigger the puppets AI and then apply it on the different situations. Is not a job that goes engage, get TP and then hit WS.
You can look up everything you need to know about attachments and frames.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 05:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean there's a place where I can go, and get information about things in FFXI?
 Carbuncle.Sambb
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2012-05-11 05:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Im sorry but after reading this entire thread its full of fail and a waste of time....

its like me saying I can do decent dmg on my pld in VW for prov watcher zerg... then I say I got a lvl 90 masa samurai thats pimped out gear wise....

If you had a choice what you picking?

<insertlogichere>

Pups will cry over their beloved job just like any other person and their "beloved" job. I always want to use my PLD but im not stupid enough to NOT change to ninja or SOMETHING to be a proc person just to get a group and win something.

At the end of the day show me a pup that out performs drk samurai warrior mnk in a zerg situation and il believe it has some use other than

" hey its sharpshot frame proc go get it!!"

which comes up like 0.5% of the time in VW
 Siren.Sugarpanda
By Siren.Sugarpanda 2012-05-11 05:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

And we still wonder why there are so many below average players in FFXI...
 Shiva.Damonz
Server: Shiva
user: Damonz
By Shiva.Damonz 2012-05-11 05:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »

30 minutes? ***, I was going to level PUP tomorrow but screw that. I don't have time for commitments like that.
Just look up and learn 95% of the job while you're paying someone to FC it to 99 for you, in those few hours you'll know as much about pup as anyone else >.>
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2012-05-11 05:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, look up how u can make your puppet cast silence as first enfeble when fighting mobs that cast magic or look for how u can make it cast paralysis enfeble first when fighting mobs with high att speed etc.
 Siren.Sugarpanda
By Siren.Sugarpanda 2012-05-11 05:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, look up how u can make your puppet cast silence as first enfeble when fighting mobs that cast magic or look for how u can make it cast paralysis enfeble first when fighting mobs with high att speed etc.

:o
How do you do that?
 Lakshmi.Dragoncloud
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Dragoncloud 2012-05-11 05:09:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Because people who think they know what they are talking about and really don't shouldn't be trying to make an argument for/agaisnt the job.

I have pup and have almost never brought it to VW...These mobs are getting pretty high level, and there's not nearly enough elemental capacity on an automaton to make it not only hold its own and deal damage at the same time. People don't invite pups because most pet procs are horridly slow, aside from Providence. Why doesn't SE make the current situation in providence the same for all VW?
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2012-05-11 05:10:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sambb said: »
Im sorry but after reading this entire thread its full of fail and a waste of time....

its like me saying I can do decent dmg on my pld in VW for prov watcher zerg... then I say I got a lvl 90 masa samurai thats pimped out gear wise....

If you had a choice what you picking?

<insertlogichere>

Pups will cry over their beloved job just like any other person and their "beloved" job. I always want to use my PLD but im not stupid enough to NOT change to ninja or SOMETHING to be a proc person just to get a group and win something.

At the end of the day show me a pup that out performs drk samurai warrior mnk in a zerg situation and il believe it has some use other than

" hey its sharpshot frame proc go get it!!"

which comes up like 0.5% of the time in VW

I can show you my parser as PUP, i bet that won't even be enough since most ppl already got their mind made up about the puppetmaster job.
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-05-11 05:10:31
Link | Quote | Reply

each maneuver is tied to certain debuffs. have it active first and it will force cast that debuff. But this is subject to checks. You won't silence ninjas or brds, because they have no mp. It just won't work.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-05-11 05:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Soulsoother

Just look at the priority based on maneuvers.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-11 05:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I can show you my parser as PUP, i bet that won't even be enough since most ppl already got their mind made up about the puppetmaster job.
Hey I parsed second on Pil recently, so is cor the second best dd? Or were all other dds absolutely horrible?
Hint: the correct answer is the latter.
[+]
 Siren.Sugarpanda
By Siren.Sugarpanda 2012-05-11 05:14:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »
each maneuver is tied to certain debuffs. have it active first and it will force cast that debuff. But this is subject to checks. You won't silence ninjas or brds, because they have no mp. It just won't work.

Well yes I knew this but my pup sometimes casts silence on monsters that doesn't even use magic when I have wind maneuver up. I thought there was some trick that will make it only cast if the monster is a caster...
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-11 05:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey I parsed second on Pil recently, so is cor the second best dd? Or were all other dds absolutely horrible?
Hint: the correct answer is the latter.

My COR vs. Bismarck:

COR is the best DD.
[+]