Game: FFXI
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-30 17:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said: »
Leviathan.Dodu said: »
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu said: »
emanuelle, you're ok and all sometimes, but there are times where you should not post.
:o

All he does as of late is troll the ***out of my posts, and even then, I don't understand what the hell he's saying most of the time.
this come from someone that gets topic baned daily for trolling/bashing and putting non-sense posts/putting everyone down on every single forum thread.

I get in trouble because people tend to forget that these forums are meant to be for information sharing, not for winning popularity contests. You contribute virtually nothing to this website, outside of demonstrating how to kill something by spamming pet food and dawn mulsum, and I'd be absolutely taken back by anyone(other than you) arguing to the contrary.
[+]
 Fenrir.Niniann
Server: Fenrir
user: Ninian
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-09-30 17:16:27
Link | Quote | Reply

You've nothing to prove. I haven't examined SCH's merit options nearly enough to be making definitive statements about them. Just briefly speculating based on a quick review of Wiki.

It's just weird, SCH does a bunch of stuff. To do stuff you need stratagems usually, and consuming 2 stratagems for one nuke is a lot. At 90 they get 5 stratagems that recharge every 0:48, I'm not sure what they have at 95. So consuming 2 is a lot, so depending on what you're doing it's probably not worth it, I dunno.

I guess if I cared more about SCH I'd care more about figuring that out. >_>; For everything I'd use SCH for, I have WHM, and my mule(that's really Night's but w/e) has RDM and BLM. :/
 Asura.Jadecc
Server: Asura
user: jadecc
By Asura.Jadecc 2011-09-30 17:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I havn't had the need of macc that badly on sch actually, every once in a while my helix gets resisted which sucks but, i'd rather use 1 strategem on embulence then 2 on macc+25.. even tho macc+25 is pretty sexy i usually dont need it.
 Leviathan.Dodu
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-30 17:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niniann said: »
You've nothing to prove. I haven't examined SCH's merit options nearly enough to be making definitive statements about them. Just briefly speculating based on a quick review of Wiki.

It's just weird like, SCH does a bunch of stuff. To do stuff you need stratagems usually, and consuming 2 stratagems for one nuke is a lot. At 90 they get 5 stratagems that recharge every 0:48, I'm not sure what they have at 95. So consuming 2 is a lot, so depending on what you're doing it's probably not worth it, I dunno.

I guess if I cared more about SCH I'd care more about figuring that out. >_>;

I suppose its also largely dependent on your situation. Everyone knows I usually lowman VW(4-5 characters max, among 2-3 people playing them), so the most important thing is that we can deal enough damage to kill the thing while not causing positioning issues(because we have virtually no backup option if there's a death). That said, I'd be doing whatever I could do minimize SCH's enmity generated by damage, and maximizing helix output.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-09-30 17:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Hate to be that guy, but if you're in any position where you foresee optimized curing and dispelling and/or crowd control being relevant, why not just go RDM? Its not as if RDM is in any way a bad magical DD right now. Hell, if it weren't for enmity douse, I would only go RDM/DRG for any lowman VWNM.

Well... yes. This could be then expanded into why be SCH ever... which is one of the reasons why I haven't geared it. :x

At least SCH has basically the best 2hr in the game at this point.
Of course most 2hrs are irrelevant or mediocre at this point, so it's like being the straightest guy in the locker room at the ice capades.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-30 17:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Asymptotic said: »
Hate to be that guy, but if you're in any position where you foresee optimized curing and dispelling and/or crowd control being relevant, why not just go RDM? Its not as if RDM is in any way a bad magical DD right now. Hell, if it weren't for enmity douse, I would only go RDM/DRG for any lowman VWNM.

Well... yes. This could be then expanded into why be SCH ever... which is one of the reasons why I haven't geared it. :x

Of course most 2hrs are irrelevant or mediocre at this point, so it's like being the straightest guy in the locker room at the ice capades.

No argument there. TR is a monster in any situation that you can manipulate its duration(or just at its base, in regard to zergs).
 Phoenix.Pooman
Server: Phoenix
user: Pooman
By Phoenix.Pooman 2011-09-30 17:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Pooman said: »
This thread should be renamed to
SCH vs BLM - Yes, again.

I don't have the appendages required to count how many times I've seen someone complain about a completely useless thread developing into intelligent conversation.

Still doesn't mean this thread should be about sch vs blm. Again.
 Asura.Jadecc
By Asura.Jadecc 2011-09-30 17:22:35
Link | Quote | Reply

So anyway, pup nukes are awesome and such.
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-09-30 17:23:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose its also largely dependent on your situation. Everyone knows I usually lowman VW(4-5 characters max, among 2-3 people playing them), so the most important thing is that we can deal enough damage to kill the thing while not causing positioning issues(because we have virtually no backup option if there's a death). That said, I'd be doing whatever I could do minimize SCH's enmity generated by damage, and maximizing helix output.

Yeah I agree. Now I'm confused about everything though are we talking about Meritting Focalization (Dark Arts Stratagem (requires two charges). Increases the accuracy of your next black magic spell.) or Equanimity (Dark Arts Stratagem (requires two charges). Your next black magic spell will generate less enmity.)? I'm assuming Equanimity, just because I could see the enmity- being useful, but not specifically.

I also don't feel like you'd take SCH to Voidwatch in a lowman situation either though. D:<

Trueee... but I still don't see people picking me as the SCH. :( /emo
 Asura.Jadecc
By Asura.Jadecc 2011-09-30 17:26:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Dont forget sch can cast pax on itself, i dunno how much -enmity you need but pax and Equanimity dont stack. I also dont' know ho wmuch -enmity pax is.
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-09-30 17:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jadecc said: »
Dont forget sch can cast pax on itself, i dunno how much -enmity you need but pax and Equanimity dont stack. I also dont' know ho wmuch -enmity pax is.

Oh... true. Equanimity is -50 enm fully meritted, and Pax is -10 enm, apparently.
 Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu 2011-09-30 17:34:43
Link | Quote | Reply

quoting as a i go (was creating a set for someone)

Odin.Eikechi said: »
sch category 2... 5/5 stormsurge and i did 5/5 focalization...it does help honestly with a lot of crap lol

Correct merits are 5/5 Stormsurge, 5/5 Enlightenment. :x
this, its black and white as dnc's group 1 merits, if you merit something else, you are doing it wrong.

Higher tier VWNM output isn't black and white. Ballistic Kick will probably one-shot you, and even an Aeroja from Kaggen is still going to put a dent in a prepared mage. Coupled with a melee attack shortly after, and its not that far fetched to assume an imminent death. The damage sustained by even good quality tanks is a large contributing factor. Keeping people alive is fairly easy, but the fact that they're taking such large amounts of damage on a semi-regular basis does terrible things to their ability to maintain capped CE. That means that getting things' attention back immediately isn't always realistic, and 2-3 seconds of attention on a mage and/or group of mages can end badly, quickly.

Is that a MB'd helic? I may be out of the loop, but from what I remember they still aren't spectacular.

I don't think one's ability to self-remedy damage sustained is a relevant benefit. Even two WHM healing an entire alliance of melee getting the ***kicked out of them are going to be swimming in MP. I rarely use anything outside of Cure5/6 in large group settings, and never have sustenance issues.

And, alright, my apologies about that.
true there are times where your target will do something that will *** anybody up, but understand that in my personal case, you have a full stoneskin (which alone is a major benefit) phalanx'ga (useless to some, but talk it down all you want, damage- is damage-) pro/shell, Na's and DT gear that could rival a pld. but as ninian said it could be a race thing (never understood why there are taru pld)

helix: mb'd helices are the way to go, but yeah you do a substantial amount of dmg with them alone.

whm part: yes mp could be an issue if every one was getting their *** handed to them, but in cases when that is not an issue mp reeeeaaallly isnt a gigantic problem, i do remember my last fight with kaggen where i used 5 ethers, 4 sublimations, and 2 verts just to keep up with curing and we had 2 whm, a rdm, 2 sch (emanuelle was there as well)

I still wouldn't exactly consider it a relevant benefit, but WHMs aren't going to be like ZOMG THE BLM/SCH IS DYING and immediately cure them(depending on what's going on). WHM is still limited by timers(even if they're not horrible timers), and tanks and DDs are constantly taking damage. Plus if the SCH pulls hate chances are it's hurting more people than just the SCH, so as a WHM I'd be like *** them let them die and cure other people first. Maybe I'm just an *** though. >____>;

They'd probably still die anyway, regardless of their ability to cure themselves. :(
you're an *** but we love you all the same, but yeah you said it, you would be less inclined to heal the mages, so if a sch pulls hate (which he/she should be running to the tank at that point) the sch would be less inclined to die, than say blm since this is the current argument i guess, because he/she can cure itself effectively.

Odin.Eikechi said: »
shoot idk...i have the merits to change it over (i have like 18 or something) and merits aren't hard to get..but really? enlightenment?

Yeah, it's like the single most useful thing ever really. In Light Arts/Addendum: White curing peoples and you need to sleep something? BAM. There's lots of these types of situations, and not having the ability means death.

Aren't you usually /RDM though? Maybe I'm biased, but I don't feel like any SCH merit is defensively significant to ignore the only one that really has the potential to increase your global damage.
/rdm only, unless you're on stun detail. i never saw using haste on sch being all to valid considering there is usually a whm there to begin with and will continue to be there as long as sch's top cure is c4. and you wont need enlight for dispell if you are /rdm.

Aren't you usually /RDM though? Maybe I'm biased, but I don't feel like any SCH merit is defensively significant to ignore the only one that really has the potential to increase your global damage.

It'd depend on what you're doing. /WHM is nice for haste if you for some reason don't have a WHM or RDM. If you ONLY use it for nuking in Voidwatch, I guess you could merit Equanimity...? But I don't even think it's worth the strategems ever though, even in that situation. If you can somehow prove otherwise I'll take back what I said though, I just can't picture it.

you're fine, equanimity is just bad, nevermind losing stormsurge or losing enlight, it also requires 2 strategems to just give you -50 enmity on what spell you're going to use, thats if you max it out.

sorry long post, didnt forsee it taking that long.
 Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu
By Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu 2011-09-30 17:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I havn't had the need of macc that badly on sch actually, every once in a while my helix gets resisted which sucks but, i'd rather use 1 strategem on embulence then 2 on macc+25.. even tho macc+25 is pretty sexy i usually dont need it.
we shall see with the magian staves +3, if they eliminate macc completely on them im not going further and just leaving them at +2 though.
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-09-30 17:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

we shall see with the magian staves +3, if they eliminate macc completely on them im not going further and just leaving them at +2 though.

Or you can make TWO damage staves one +2 one +3! ENJOY YOUR WASTE OF TIME AND INVENTORY SPACE D:<

But no really if they get rid of the macc on +3... just... ugh.
 Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu
By Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu 2011-09-30 17:40:43
Link | Quote | Reply

No argument there. TR is a monster in any situation that you can manipulate its duration(or just at its base, in regard to zergs).
i loved TR even before the changes and new spells, adding them just made me wet myself

Yeah I agree. Now I'm confused about everything though are we talking about Meritting Focalization (Dark Arts Stratagem (requires two charges). Increases the accuracy of your next black magic spell.) or Equanimity (Dark Arts Stratagem (requires two charges). Your next black magic spell will generate less enmity.)? I'm assuming Equanimity, just because I could see the enmity- being useful, but not specifically.

I also don't feel like you'd take SCH to Voidwatch in a lowman situation either though. D:<

Trueee... but I still don't see people picking me as the SCH. :( /emo
i've been using TR as a bribe lately to get into things like AV shouts or VW shouts lol.
 Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu
By Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu 2011-09-30 17:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Or you can make TWO damage staves one +2 one +3! ENJOY YOUR WASTE OF TIME AND INVENTORY SPACE D:<

But no really if they get rid of the macc on +3... just... ugh.
i already enfeeble with alky >.>;;;;
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-09-30 17:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Embrava with Perpetuance is insane.
 Asura.Jadecc
By Asura.Jadecc 2011-09-30 17:44:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I still use HQ staves.... dont judge me >>
 Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu
By Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu 2011-09-30 17:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I still use HQ staves.... dont judge me >>
better than nuking with siriti~
[+]
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-09-30 17:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

12 minutes of rape.
 Asura.Jadecc
By Asura.Jadecc 2011-09-30 17:54:33
Link | Quote | Reply

12 minutes of rape.
use it at the beginning of tabula rasa, then perpectuance w/ af+2 hands at the end for ~15.5 min of rape
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-09-30 17:56:50
Link | Quote | Reply

12 minutes of rape.
use it at the beginning of tabula rasa, then perpectuance w/ af+2 hands at the end for ~15.5 min of rape

Sounds like what I do with SV and Night/Troub. :o
 Asura.Jadecc
By Asura.Jadecc 2011-09-30 18:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

lets be real tho, like anything would last 15 min of embrava anyway
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-09-30 18:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
you're fine, equanimity is just bad, nevermind losing stormsurge or losing enlight, it also requires 2 strategems to just give you -50 enmity on what spell you're going to use, thats if you max it out.
im 5 storm surge , 1 enligh/ 4 equanimity, enlight is only for emergencies , for reraise or stoneskin cure4 or -na spells, i hardly use it, if i want to sleep something i just cast it since light arts does get enfeebling to b+ rate too (assuming it's an emergency) it's not like you will waste enlight for sleep only anyways, it's a waste of a 5 mins recast, it's better to use it on something more important, i mentioned equanimity only to compare it to Enmity Douse for extra hateless dmg. 2 stratagems doesn't hurt when your purely doing xtra dmg/chaining nukes to avoid getting hate
 Sylph.Liltrouble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-09-30 18:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I know several people that enjoy playing pup. I imagine it's a fun job. For them. To each their own. But for a Pup to insist they can out-nuke a pro Blm is foolhardy, at best. It's like a Sch claiming they can out heal a career Whm. Or, a Pup, making the same claim.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-30 18:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

For the sake of comparison,

Enmity Douse gives an indiscriminate 800/sec while operating under the ~8000 damage it takes for a BLM to cap CE, and the ~2000 damage it takes to cap VE. Ignoring ED, that means that, while maintaining proper positioning, you're afforded an ~8000 damage window in which you absolutely will not take hate off of a tank with expectant CE/VE levels. After that point, you're given a window of ~1000/minute while not drawing attention. ED is going to reset both of these windows, essentially handing you an additional window to deal that same 8000 damage before you reenter the 1000/min threshold(which numerically means 1800/min total).

A SCH starts off with the same initial boundary, and ends up adhering to the same 1000/min rule thereafter. Fully merited Equanimity, which can be used roughly 6 times every 10 minutes(lined up with ED for ease of comparison), is going to reduce 6 of your spells by ~50% every 10 minutes. I say about 50% because of the multiplicative interaction with equipment/status enmity reduction. Assuming your damage is roughly 1000/spell(again, for simplicity), that's 6000 damage every 10 minutes that's being reduced. 6000 damage is going to result in ~7500 CE, so reduce that by half, and you've got your additional threshold for damage/minute, which in this case, in total, would be 1375/min.

Before helices are considered, BLM deals roughly 425 DPM more than SCH, which is a fairly large advantage.

Things to note:

* While not often practiced, it is most efficient to cast offensive spells in -50 enmity. That means Equanimity is half as effective(CE(0.50 x 0.50), while ED remains the same.

* Helices bring additional damage to the table if viable, but it isn't likely going to tip the scales that greatly.

* BLM is still significantly better for procs.

* BLM has stun, which is always useful, while SCH's ability to switch to a healing role not only requires that they temporarily/indefinitely stop dealing damage, but that they further increase their enmity.

Edit: And just for clarity, this is less about who's a better long-term DD, and much more about the viability of Equanimity. I'd say that if you're one of those people who plays a so-so job in serious situations just because they enjoy it, and you're interested in bringing the best performance out of it, its not a bad thing to merit. If you find yourself in a situation where you're constantly using Enlightenment, I suppose it has merit, but I don't necessarily feel as if its that defensively beneficial.

Edit2.0: Last bit! Promise! I understand the appeal of things like Parsimony/Ebullience, but try to keep in mind that, while much easier on your stratagem timer, they're really nothing but MP-savers. You'll do more damage over time by reducing your CE.
[+]
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-09-30 18:45:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said: »
I know several people that enjoy playing pup. I imagine it's a fun job. For them. To each their own. But for a Pup to insist they can out-nuke a pro Blm is foolhardy, at best. It's like a Sch claiming they can out heal a career Whm. Or, a Pup, making the same claim.

Wish people would give PUP an try and learn how the job works rather than popping in like this. (And before anyone jumps on me for saying this without having BLM leveled, my second account is BLM95. Only thing "bad" about it would be I still have moldy/hecate instead of Novio/Hecate.)

Also, no PUP would make that WHM claim btw since the AI system makes it so -na comes before Cures. And the time between cures for a party set up IT~NM would be murder (Unless it's like a duo of nin + pup >.>)
 Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu
By Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu 2011-09-30 18:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
im 5 storm surge , 1 enligh/ 4 equanimity, enlight is only for emergencies , for reraise or stoneskin cure4 or -na spells, i hardly use it, if i want to sleep something i just cast it since light arts does get enfeebling to b+ rate too (assuming it's an emergency) it's not like you will waste enlight for sleep only anyways, it's a waste of a 5 mins recast, it's better to use it on something more important, i mentioned equanimity only to compare it to Enmity Douse for extra hateless dmg. 2 stratagems doesn't hurt when your purely doing xtra dmg/chaining nukes to avoid getting hate
a good sch doesnt have the charges to waste on a single spell producing -50 enmity...
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-09-30 18:54:33
Link | Quote | Reply

i do, 48 secs of stratagems recharges <3, i dont even use equanimity was just putting that to compare it vs Enmity Douse
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-09-30 18:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

i do, 48 secs of stratagems recharges <3, i dont even use equanimity was just putting that to compare it vs Enmity Douse
Then you're using your stratagems wrong, and making a mockery of the job
Not exactly a shocking concept in your case, as I think we've all found
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 9 10