What Job Makes The Best Puller? (apart From BRD In Merits)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » What job makes the best puller? (apart from BRD in Merits)
What job makes the best puller? (apart from BRD in Merits)
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Valefor.Poetry
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Poetry
By Valefor.Poetry 2009-04-27 17:12:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Aledacia said:
Danagon said:
COR

I am going to kill you.

Yeah COR is a good puller (if you have Peacemaker) but there's more beneficial things you can be doing.

Like buffing and owning ***.

I agree. I'd rather not merit than merit with a cor puller.

Mytoy said:

I don't have a peacemaker (next on my list though) and I've never had a problem having the mob there in time. COR dmg is crap compared to real DDs (unless their gear just flat out sucks and yours is top notch)...pulling is more beneficial to the party unless you have a BRD to do it imo.

If the cor has top notch gear and the "real DDs" have average gear the damage is not far apart. Maybe you haven't merit with a real corsair before.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Magistrella
Server: Carbuncle
user: Majora
By Carbuncle.Magistrella 2009-04-27 17:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

How about not needing a puller cause you kill so fast you can run with all pt members to next mob <.<

just another solution ^^"

in any other cases... cor or war(voke pull preparing next without risking to loose chain on old, bit tricky tho ><)

^~^
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-04-27 17:17:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Mytoy said:
A bad RNG can EASILY pull out 2k.

Fixed.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Magistrella
By Carbuncle.Magistrella 2009-04-27 17:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Mytoy said:
Poetry said:
Aledacia said:
Danagon said:
COR

I am going to kill you.

Yeah COR is a good puller (if you have Peacemaker) but there's more beneficial things you can be doing.

Mytoy said:

I don't have a peacemaker (next on my list though) and I've never had a problem having the mob there in time. COR dmg is crap compared to real DDs (unless their gear just flat out sucks and yours is top notch)...pulling is more beneficial to the party unless you have a BRD to do it imo.

If the cor has top notch gear and the "real DDs" have average gear the damage is not far apart. Maybe you haven't merit with a real corsair before.

Honestly, show me a screenshot of a COR doing at LEAST a 1.5k WS in a merit party. A decent RNG can EASILY pull out 2k. Oh, and we're not talking just WS epeen. I can guarantee you, even if you do the 1.5k+ WS, their total damage is going to own yours.

lemme second that... with cor&brd in pt sam will spam a penta every 4 hits after WS for 1.2-2k dmg.... <.< the damage of the cor is just the cherrie on the top of the beneficials buffs :33
[+]
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-04-27 17:17:50
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Bah.

RDM > Everything else
 Leviathan.Seeko
Server: Leviathan
user: Seeko
By Leviathan.Seeko 2009-04-27 17:18:04
Link | Quote | Reply

My resume: 75thf/rng/brd

As you can see, I am a career puller, it's what I do. Obviously I cannot speak for cor, but I feel I have a good view from the other perspectives.

In merit:

Bard is best by far. keeping everything that you need to going all at once is kinda crazy, but its fun in it's own way.

Thief, if you have good timing (which isn't *that* hard), can be really good. I've personally pulled chain 30+ on thf, just by knowing when to leave to pull. and if you're a little early, well, you have shadows. I would always just solo the bird for a little while until the other one died.

Ranger, I personally feel makes a horrible puller, for 1 reason alone. That is that your WS's generally generate so much hate, that you have to hold them until the mob is nearly dead to finish it off. This poses the problem of WSing early, then running off for the next mob, and the one you were fighting follows you rather than being killed.
Now, I've avoided being rng in merits for the most part, so maybe it's different on birds, but I always had that problem anywhere else.

Corsair, I agree with other sentiments that it does not make an ideal puller. Let the cor keep your buffs up, and act as a backup sleeper if needed. The incredibly high delay of a gun makes it so you'd need to leave a mob even earlier, thereby dealing less damage because of running around more. I believe it could likely run into the same problem as I voiced regarding rangers, since I've seen some very impressive WS output.

Just my view from being 3/4 of the major pulling jobs in the game (I also end up pulling on any othr job I play, lol).
 Ramuh.Kaithran
Server: Ramuh
user: kaithran
By Ramuh.Kaithran 2009-04-27 17:20:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Mytoy said:
COR dmg is crap compared to real DDs (unless their gear just flat out sucks and yours is top notch)...

QFT

Anyone who says RNG>COR for pulling is either:

A) A lazy COR, or

B) clueless

Any RNG worth anything in meripo out in Bhaflau will have to eat food every two to ten minutes (IF you're very lucky with Snatch Morsel). I literally CANNOT leave camp until the bird is dead if I am DDing at my best. Even next to three SAMs I'll hold my own.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-27 17:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If I ever do merit outside of my ls, I always put "Fisherman: X" in my /seacom. :o
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-27 17:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo is just lazy at pulling.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-27 17:26:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:

I actually did pull once in a meripo. Oh my gawd, I sucked so bad, lol. Maybe Cor can be a really good puller in a meripo, but this one sure isn't. ; ;

Edit: QFT will always mean "Quoted for truth."

Quit *** Talking is just what forum newbies believe. QFT will never mean Quit *** talking.
 Remora.Dubont
Server: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-04-27 17:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Magistrella said:
Mytoy said:
Poetry said:
Aledacia said:
Danagon said:
COR

I am going to kill you.

Mytoy said:

Honestly, show me a screenshot of a COR doing at LEAST a 1.5k WS in a merit party. A decent RNG can EASILY pull out 2k. Oh, and we're not talking just WS epeen. I can guarantee you, even if you do the 1.5k+ WS, their total damage is going to own yours.

lemme second that... with cor&brd in pt sam will spam a penta every 4 hits after WS for 1.2-2k dmg.... <.< the damage of the cor is just the cherrie on the top of the beneficials buffs :33

Cor's Dmg isnt the best but it definatly does help kill the mob faster. Any cor that has decent gear for DDing (which btw...there arnt many of those anymore) can do enough dmg to, not keep up but at least stay close to the output of other members. Also keep in mind, Cor can do dmg with elemental shots as well which just add to their dmg output.
 Carbuncle.Magistrella
By Carbuncle.Magistrella 2009-04-27 17:27:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
Ludoggy said:

I actually did pull once in a meripo. Oh my gawd, I sucked so bad, lol. Maybe Cor can be a really good puller in a meripo, but this one sure isn't. ; ;

*pat-pat* just keep training ^^
 Ramuh.Kaithran
By Ramuh.Kaithran 2009-04-27 17:29:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Dub, I'm not saying COR is useless, but it IS NOT at the level of a real DD. Can it do decent dmg? YES. Can it keep up with a well-played, well-geared RNG? Not on your life!

PS, yes, it was Quoted For Truth
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-27 17:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cor can DD just as much as a Pld can DD. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I see my Cor as a support, not a DD. c.c And I don't even sub Whm, lol. I'm odd. Dx
[+]
 Valefor.Poetry
Server: Valefor
user: Poetry
By Valefor.Poetry 2009-04-27 17:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

User submitted image

This is one reason why not to pull on corsair.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-27 17:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Cheater. You had Beserk and Warcry. :P
 Carbuncle.Magistrella
By Carbuncle.Magistrella 2009-04-27 17:32:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Poetry said:
User submitted image

like what <.< every... 2nd mob? - nice dmg but... but it in a parser on like 1k mobs compared to some DD and come back ^^"

Edit:
Haseyo said:
Cheater. You had Beserk and Warcry. :P

since when is using a SJ cheating <.<"""
[+]
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-04-27 17:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cor can also deal sword/dagger dmg so keep that into consideration (only with a joyeuse for sword though..the rest arent really...acceptable imo >.>)
[+]
 Ramuh.Kaithran
By Ramuh.Kaithran 2009-04-27 17:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

IMHO, as pullers:

BRD > THF > COR >>>>>>>> RNG

I think that's the general consensus, too
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-04-27 17:38:01
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not really a matter of what job is better, it's more about who has mad pulling skills. Awhile back i had the distinct pleasure of meriting on nyzul birds with a static friend Porchetrev.

While he was indeed COR he knew where the mobs were going to pop as well as had a bird back the moment one was dead. I think we lasted until chain #160ish and only lost that because someone had to use the rest room XD

My biggest point is that both BRD and COR seem top in performance in terms of sleeping and ease of use, but if a RNG or THF with /nin can play the part correctly and have a mob back to camp as we kill the current, i could care less who thinks what is better.

Chain#100+ is all the same in the end.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-04-27 17:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Mytoy said:
My point is:

Unless you have a BRD, your usefulness as a COR is greater in the pulling department than the DD department.

After BRD, COR IS the next best, simply because they have the ability to pull ahead and sleep the mob so it's right there when the other is finished, thus allowing the party to get better chains. If you have a BRD (which you did Poetry ^.- you shouldn't be pulling).

Even if we dont have a brd, if there's a thf, I refuse to pull. If there is no thf, i dont mind pulling but 1) Im hardly ever subbing nin on cor..i hate it unless for soloing purposes 2) If the thf links...bring it back to camp THEN ill sleep it.
 Carbuncle.Magistrella
By Carbuncle.Magistrella 2009-04-27 17:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Mytoy said:
Your 20-60 dmg swings aren't going to keep up the the real DDs 100-200+ dmg swings.
We've taken that into consideration.

Unless you have a BRD, your usefulness as a COR is greater in the pulling department than the DD department.

how often does this small guy have to repeat himself till you believe him <.<

youll never catch the 180-300dm/hit (crit) off a drg in a meripo pt on colis with a brd <.< (not to mention the ugly 2-4k drakesbanes they can throw out :x )
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-27 17:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Magistrella said:
since when is using a SJ cheating <.<"""

If only one subjob with particular job abiliy(s) can deliver high damage results, that main job probably doesn't do nearly as much all the time.

My point is: Cor would have better use than hitting 2k+ Slugs every ???~ so minutes. Go Rng if you want to pew pew better. ><;
[+]

Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
Cor can also deal sword/dagger dmg so keep that into consideration (only with a joyeuse for sword though..the rest arent really...acceptable imo >.>)

Quick Draw too, unless your BRD sucks so bad he can't land sleep. . . ._.
 Ramuh.Kaithran
By Ramuh.Kaithran 2009-04-27 17:39:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Poetry said:
User submitted image

Am I the only one wondering how many Slugwinders he's whiffing on to do that much DMG? I mean, you can only stack so much RACC, and no vshot...
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-27 17:40:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Resists happen , even to the greatest Brds. :x
I always try to keep one sleep charge up, especially when pops like to gangbang the party in links.