Strong DMC love. Not good enough to carry 16, but now it makes (more) sense.
This has nothing to do with DMC popularity.... personally I think DMC battle system design philosophy is extremely good and it is a fairly good choice for action rpg kind of game: better than design philosophy of FF15 at least. And I am never a fan of FF7R's hybrid system that feels more like turn based than action.
(Whether FF16's battle system execution fully replicated DMC fun or not is another discussion)
DMC battle system strongly focus on freedom of expression and wide variety of viable choices. That's exactly what I would expect from playing a
rpg game: freedom of expression and tons of choices. I prefer it far more than "dev really wants me to use certain move at specific situation" approach like FF7R.
Too bad a lot of people only look at DMC's cheesy presentation style and quickly dismissed it as a not-so-serious game or something.