Help A BRD Out!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » Help a BRD out!
Help a BRD out!
First Page 2 3 4
 Fenrir.Reece
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Reece 2010-05-13 12:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Need some advice on gear + different builds I should have for my BRD.

May have some stupid questions but my first job and not very knowledgeable ha.

So far a few people mentioned it's only worth having CHR+ and Wind Skill + builds anybody think that's right or I should aim for more?

I need opinions on Rostrum Pumps VS Oracle Pigaches.
Some people saying Rostrum for Merit/Xp and Oracle for Endgame?

Am I right to assume, CHR for debuffs, Skill for buffs?

Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-05-13 12:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Oracle for Merit/EXP and Oracle for Endgame.

All in all, you're pretty spot on though, CHR+ for debuffs and Wind/Singing+ for buffs and you won't go far wrong.

I'd look into Magic Accuracy for comparing things like MAcc+, Skill+ and CHR+ for working out the best choices for your debuffs.
 Diabolos.Renavi
Server: Diabolos
user: Renavi
By Diabolos.Renavi 2010-05-13 12:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd just macro in the Rostrum pumps at the beginning of the song to get the "Fast Cast" effect. Oracles will win for buffing debuffing though, the only thing that would be Oracle's for debuffing only is Goliard Clogs I think.
 Sylph.Spency
user: Spencyono
By Sylph.Spency 2010-05-13 12:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought skill was useless for anything other than march?

And I mean potency, not range/duration or whatever
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-13 12:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Spency said:
I thought skill was useless for anything other than march?

And I mean potency, not range/duration or whatever

Nah it effects Minuet, Minne, Mambo and Madrigal too.

Don't underestimate skill and Macc for debuffs. I'd suggest 2 nereids over chr+ rings all the way.
 Sylph.Rawkhawk
By Sylph.Rawkhawk 2010-05-13 12:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Spency said:
I thought skill was useless for anything other than march? And I mean potency, not range/duration or whatever

I don't know about useless. But caps for the Minuet/Madrigal are easier to hit. If you use Mambo or Prelude I've read to stack as much skill as well, since these are very difficult to test, so who knows if you are really hitting the cap on them.
 Sylph.Rawkhawk
By Sylph.Rawkhawk 2010-05-13 12:43:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Sylph.Spency said:
I thought skill was useless for anything other than march? And I mean potency, not range/duration or whatever
Nah it effects Minuet, Minne, Mambo and Madrigal too. Don't underestimate skill and Macc for debuffs. I'd suggest 2 nereids over chr rings all the way.

I believe BRD caps Minne just with natural skill?
 Sylph.Spency
user: Spencyono
By Sylph.Spency 2010-05-13 12:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Right you are, I forgot it affected those!

Diabolos.Renavi
By Diabolos.Renavi 2010-05-13 12:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can get double the amount of CHR in a slot than Skill/Macc then CHR will either win or be tied with the Skill/Macc piece. If you can get more Skill/Macc in the slot than CHR then the Skill/Macc piece will definitely win. If the CHR isn't twice as much as the Skill/Macc you could get there then it depends on your total CHR and the mobs total CHR to see which wins for debuffing. I'm also not sure what the caps are for Minuet/Minne/Madrigal and all those, too lazy to look them up.
 Fenrir.Reece
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Reece 2010-05-13 12:50:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Don't underestimate skill and Macc for debuffs. I'd suggest 2 nereids over chr rings all the way.
I use Nereid atm (x2) but for CHR build I was thinking chr rings instead but you'd stick with nereid??
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-13 12:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I forgot about prelude... but lol prelude.

Without merits going into the potency:

Minuet IV = +56 Attack at 462 (+12 skill) + 10 from the Cornette +1/2 = 66 attack being the hard cap.

Blade Madrigal = +30 Accuracy at combined skill 508-553 + 4 from Trav +1

Knight's Minne IV = Caps at +48 pre 75 brd. Harp +1 adds 5 more defence.

Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-13 12:51:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Reece said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Don't underestimate skill and Macc for debuffs. I'd suggest 2 nereids over chr rings all the way.
I use Nereid atm (x2) but for CHR build I was thinking chr rings instead but you'd stick with nereid??

I would. Nereids give you more of a return than 2 chr +5 rings.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-05-13 12:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Omega Ring says hello.
Rostrum's (Like Manteel and Loq Earring) are great for precast. Start your song in them, then switch to skill+ after you've started singing.
Also, Hadean Feet will beat oracle's for debuffs iirc, not just goliard.
 Sylph.Rawkhawk
By Sylph.Rawkhawk 2010-05-13 12:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

I haven't casted Archer's Prelude once. XD
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-13 12:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said:
Omega Ring says hello.
Rostrum's (Like Manteel and Loq Earring) are great for precast. Start your song in them, then switch to skill after you've started singing.
Also, Hadean Feet will beat oracle's for debuffs iirc, not just goliard.

Pre Omega you should use Nereids though.
 Diabolos.Renavi
By Diabolos.Renavi 2010-05-13 12:56:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, Omega ring is definitely #1 for debuffing. I hadn't heard of Hadean Feets, gonna have to go look them up. =O
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-13 12:56:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Rawkhawk said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

I haven't casted Archer's Prelude once. XD

I haven't either in a real pt situation lol. Most RNG's I partied with opted for minuetx2 which is a pain when your fishing...

Madrigal (Trying to avoid the ranger who lols in at the last moment >.>) > Minuet IV > Fish > Piano > Minuet III > Ballad II > Fish > Ballad

Then do it all again!
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-05-13 13:00:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Renavi said:
Yeah, Omega ring is definitely #1 for debuffing. I hadn't heard of Hadean Feets, gonna have to go look them up. =O

Hadean is the name of the abjuration, the completed item is either Shadow Clogs or Valkyrie Clogs (HQ)

And 5 chr vs 3 skill is debatable depending on what tests you look at, personally I've always used nereid's in the 2nd ring slot because I don't wanna spend the gil/inventory on another ring. The Veela Ring should always beat a non-augmented Nereid's though.
 Sylph.Rawkhawk
By Sylph.Rawkhawk 2010-05-13 13:01:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Spency said:
Right you are, I forgot it affected those!

To be honest, I stack all my skill for all buffing songs. I realize I could put on some haste or fast cast to reduce recast timers once I'm above the cap, but I'm never in a situation where I am trying to cast Minuet IV but it's still in cool down.

The only time I even recast the same songs often is in BRD rotation before a boss of some kind. But iirc the JAs make my recasts fast enough for this situation that it's not even a problem then.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-13 13:02:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said:
Diabolos.Renavi said:

Hadean is the name of the abjuration, the completed item is either Shadow Clogs or Valkyrie Clogs (HQ)

And 5 chr vs 3 skill is debatable depending on what tests you look at, personally I've always used nereid's in the 2nd ring slot because I don't wanna spend the gil/inventory on another ring. The Veela Ring should always beat a non-augmented Nereid's though.

I don't see it. Without having the math @ hand, I find skill far more beneficial & reliable than chr, always have done.
 Diabolos.Renavi
By Diabolos.Renavi 2010-05-13 13:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah it will either tie or beat a Nereid's, and I found that out when I looked it up. lol Too bad I can't quote atm. x.x
 Sylph.Rawkhawk
By Sylph.Rawkhawk 2010-05-13 13:04:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Renavi said:
Yeah it will either tie or beat a Nereid's, and I found that out when I looked it up. lol Too bad I can't quote atm. x.x

Well popular belief is skill = .9 M.acc I thought. I'm not sure I buy into all of it, but that's why he is saying CHR+6 (3m.acc) is better than skill+3 (2.7m.acc)

I haven't finished toau yet, so I'll likely get that right for BRD.
 Diabolos.Renavi
By Diabolos.Renavi 2010-05-13 13:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

5CHR vs 3Skill, depends on your CHR and the targets CHR. CHR can be either 2.5M.Acc ~ 5M.Acc, 3Skill will always be 3M.Acc I think.
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-05-13 13:05:06
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I've read @ different places, skill results in 0.5-1 Macc, CHR results in 0.5-1 Macc.

Even in absolutely ideal scenario for Nereid's, they come out the same. In ideal for Veela, it's 4x better than Nereid's.
 Diabolos.Renavi
By Diabolos.Renavi 2010-05-13 13:06:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen that go both ways about Skill. Either it being 1M.Acc or .9M.Acc, I just decided to go with 1 because it's easier instead of having to add in decimals and things. Also, it seems like it could be hard to test the difference in .1 M.Acc x.x lol
 Sylph.Rawkhawk
By Sylph.Rawkhawk 2010-05-13 13:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Renavi said:
I've seen that go both ways about Skill. Either it being 1M.Acc or .9M.Acc, I just decided to go with 1 because it's easier instead of having to add in decimals and things. Also, it seems like it could be hard to test the difference in .1 M.Acc x.x lol

Yea, and I said I'm not sure I buy into it because RDM can get somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 enfeeb skill maybe, BRD can put singing/wind together and have well over 500 skill. So if skill = 1(or .9)m.acc, how could a brd song ever miss a mob with and extra 150m.acc over RDM? If rdm can land a spell then BRD would never miss a spell, something about it just doesn't add up.

But either way, I'm not too interested in figuring it all out. My spells land enough to where I don't put too much thought into it.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-13 13:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Well my eventual set (Probably in the next 3-4 months for debuffs will be this:)

this set would have

Chr +56 (putting overall CHR if your a hume to about 124 /nin

Wind +15
Singing +18 = +33 skill return

Macc +23

That puts you easily and comfortably in a 500 skill 100 chr set, and would allow you start weaning pieces off for Haste etc.
 Sylph.Rawkhawk
By Sylph.Rawkhawk 2010-05-13 13:12:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Well my eventual set (Probably in the next 3-4 months for debuffs will be this:)

Man, that would be nice. I still use NQ staves. >.>

My WW is working it's way to 100 and I want to make my own damn it!
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-05-13 13:13:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not a number cruncher, but I think as your skill goes up, the acc/macc gained from skill goes down. something about 0.9 @ 200-300, 0.8 @300+. I'd assume the pattern continues every 100 skills, but I don't really know, so I'm kind of talking out of my ***.
In general though, I aim for macc and Chr in my debuff set.

Edit:
Marduk Legs > AF2+1. My af2+1 have sat in storage ever since i got marduk.
You have the wrong staff/grip combo >.>
Brd roundlet -1 does *not* exist. I've done so many valkurms and haven't seen it drop :(
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-13 13:15:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Rawkhawk said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Man, that would be nice. I still use NQ staves. >.>

My WW is working it's way to 100 and I want to make my own damn it!

Same, I'm still on NQ's. My debuff set is piss poor, but Still stacking skill has given me quite favourable results even on HNM's.

My buff set needs more work though.
First Page 2 3 4