Another BRD Gear Advice!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » Another BRD gear advice!
Another BRD gear advice!
First Page 2 3
 Fairy.Darkei
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Darkei
By Fairy.Darkei 2010-04-08 21:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Working on bard atm, no for main and I don't want spend much money or hard equip but I want a decent and acceptable bard

here my 2 setups I got atm (songs)(haste)

I know terra and apollo is must have, no need say about it, and about feet idk what use in 75 ._.

I think this is the most I can get decent without Dynamis:

About instruments which is must have?
I have Cornette+1 Traversiere +1 Horn+1 I.R horn

but certainly something I'm bad, suggestions, reprimands and comments are accepted
[+]
 Bahamut.Memimi
Server: Bahamut
user: Memimi
By Bahamut.Memimi 2010-04-08 22:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally used Rostrum Pumps until Oracle's feet on my BRD. Minstrel's coat is also nice for your skill set. And ya... those are the main horns I use as well. Though... my bard isn't exactly top of the line anyways. It's mostly just a side job for end game with BLM being my main focus.
 Quetzalcoatl.Rumaha
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Rumaha
By Quetzalcoatl.Rumaha 2010-04-08 22:06:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sha'ir feet, Goliard feet, Oracles. Minstrels for march, otherwise looks fine.

Edit**

Also, Sha'ir legs most def for string debuff, but would also most likely beat AF legs for wind too. AF for buffs though.
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-08 22:12:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Haste is kind of pointless for most buff related songs (the duration should never, ever be lower than the recast, even with every slow effect under the sun.) I would prioritise Wind/Singing skill on buffs to maximise the effects where applicable (Marches, etc.)

Haste is useful on things like Elegy or Lullaby, which you want the recast back for A.S.A.P. Even then, only where you can't get boosts in Skill, MAcc or CHR. Other than that, those sets look solid, and although unintentional, they're probably above average.

Edit: If you're not looking to spend a fortune, here is my debuff set for BRD. It was made with the mind not to spend much money at all, since BRD is not (and never will be) my main job:

A lot of this is recycled from other jobs (Omega Ring, Loquacious, Ixion Cape, Kirin's Osode), so technically cost me nothing to add to this set. The rest is pretty cheap, and even where it's not, there are cheap alternatives; Errant Body, Gleeman's Cape +1, etc. Not a bad base to work off of for a budget BRD.

I use a different macro set when pulling a merit party; which means I use Minstrel's Ring instead of the Nereid and Sha'ir Manteel instead of the Osode. These I bought especially since I pull merit parties quite a lot. They're luxury items though and really you won't need them to be a good Bard.

One golden rule is: despite what anyone says, Opo-Opo Crown is a good BRD head piece!
 Valefor.Kensagaku
Server: Valefor
user: Kensagaku
By Valefor.Kensagaku 2010-04-08 22:27:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't been a 75 BRD long, but I'm very gear-picky, so maybe I can offer a few suggestions by slot. ^^

Main: Of course, update to HQ staves when you can. These are expensive though, and I can understand not getting these for a bit. Chanter's Staff would be nice for buffs with the Singing Skill, but I wouldn't call it make-or-break. Just very nice.

Sub: Elemental (Aka Earth/Light) Grips. These are very useful, because the extra M.Acc really helps Elegy and Lullaby more than you'd think. Even just a little bit.

Range: I'd say you're fine with instruments, can probably use the I.R. Horn if you're having resistances on Lullabies. If not, I suggest Mary's Horn, or if you have the time/friends, a Cradle Horn.

Head: Personally, I use relic head, and am working towards a Marduk's Tiara, but I'm all for using an Opo Crown for main debuffing. Relic head would definitely be better if you can for buffing though, Singing Skill there.

Neck: You're fine, though I'd recommend either a Piper's or even a Bird Whistle/Flower Necklace for a CHR set on the side. Optional, this one is mostly opinion, though a pure CHR set might help for debuffs (hence the suggestions)

Earrings: Loquacious/Musical for buffs, Melody/+1 for debuffs, that's my suggestion. Fast cast/skill for the first category, CHR for the second. Even 2~4 could make a difference.

Body: Errant Body is best for your CHR set until you sneak up that KO or a Marduk's body. Like suggested, a Minstrel's Coat is a good idea for a skill set, and improves your buffs. Shadow's Coat is great, and probably the best piece I'd get, but that's assuming Einherjar access and runs. I'm kinda meh on getting Goliard, tbh, mostly because I rarely have problems with recasts on anything but Lullaby, and those situations are few. xD

Hands: You already have AF+1, that's nice right there. I don't have any other suggestions here. I lack Limbus and I'm only 1/2 items to +1 some of my AF. ;__;

Rings: Double Nereid is good for buffs if you're not in a merit party (I'd get a Minstrel's for that) and then I'd go Balrahn's and Omega (if you do Einherjar) or something like an Angel's Ring for the secondary slot for debuffing. CHR and M.acc are your friends.

Back: Should be good enough, though I'd get an Astute Cape if you have Sea and you get a chance at it. Singing Skill+5 there. =)

Waist: Gleeman's/Corsette+1, the differences are minimal. Macro in Swift for haste set (which I really only use for macroing in on Utsusemi). Looks like you're good there.

Legs: AF+1 of course are one of my recommendations, or Marduk (again, I'm going on the assumption that you'd have Salvage. :P). Sha'ir would be better for debuffs than AF legs, but use AF/+1 for buffing.

Feet: Use Oracle's Pigaches if you have them (Wind Skill) for buffing, and Goliard Clogs for Debuffing. Once more M.Acc is win here. Shadow Clogs are also good if you have Einherjar. >_>

Overall, your gear looks up to a very solid start. These are probably some of the better suggestions, and honestly this isn't required to be a good BRD. A lot of it would make your job a lot easier though.
 Unicorn.Shianae
Server: Unicorn
user: Shianae
By Unicorn.Shianae 2010-04-14 17:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Your set up is decent in my opinion. But I don't understand why you would wear the swift belt, goliard body, and the w. turban, haste isn't a big factor in bard. (Unless you are meleeing of course!)

As far as instruments go, I have a Mary's Horn also when I pull merit parties mostly to give me that extra push on my lullabies :]

But other than that I think your bard is coming along rather nicely, you might want to look into a Chanter's staff for certain circumstances.

I sometimes land things better with my Chanter's Staff than the HQ light or earth one :p! And its a decent piece, and not too costly, at least on my server.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2010-04-14 18:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

throw in Dusk gloves/shoes for moar haste in your haste build, just make sure your macro unequips them after done casting it.
Unicorn.Shianae said:
Your set up is decent in my opinion. But I don't understand why you would wear the swift belt, goliard body, and the w. turban, haste isn't a big factor in bard. (Unless you are meleeing of course!)
Haste is teh sex for a brd pulling in merit pts
 Asura.Zekky
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2010-04-14 18:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:
Yes... and no. If you've got too much haste and you're getting resisted on lullaby and elegy, then the +haste is pointless. I'll wear my AF+1 hands/legs before I put on dusk hands and my haidates. I use my haste for my utsusemi.
 Unicorn.Shianae
By Unicorn.Shianae 2010-04-14 18:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:

Not really, like Zekky said, I rather have my pulling gear on, and not my haste gear on, for the simple reason, I rather land it the first time then get a possible resist.

I'll stick to af+1 hands, rather then sticking haste on myself instead.

Plus you will get more applause for your bard skills, whatever you might be doing, if you can actually land what you are doing, not just spamming spells because you can do it so fast, but get 50/50 resists.
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2010-04-14 18:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

You both are misunderstanding me. I dont mean to full time it.
and sorry for your resists otherwise.
[+]
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Server: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-04-14 18:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

it's not that you 'have too much haste' that causes a resist. it's not enough macc. if you have enough macc, use haste. simple as that. i personally don't use haste in elegy. but i highly recommend it for lullaby. also, finale likes a full haste build. angel lyre too.

as an aside, a lot of brds will talk about how useful 5/5 lullaby merits are, but then they cast lullaby w/ cuffs and roundlet instead of sha'ir gages and walahra.

edit: wording, added finale comment
 Unicorn.Shianae
By Unicorn.Shianae 2010-04-14 18:28:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:
You both are misunderstanding me. I dont mean to full time it.

Either way, being in haste gear full time or not in a merit pt, or just switching to it to buff or debuff doesn't make a huge difference for a merit pt. The key is for you to be able to keep up buffs, and keep the tucan birds following you with their noses, and either sleeping them at the party, or proceeding to shadow tank if your sleep got resisted. (If your pulls are slow or are taking too long to buff, a ministrel's ring will usually fix this if you can get your mage to let you go into banana hp, and its one gear slot :p)

Also for the factor that I hardly meet people who's main job is bard, and the poster already stated that he/she isn't planning to main this job, its a lot easier to equip gear that will help you better land your spells, rather then stick haste in key gear slots.

Plus my character is set up more towards rdm and blm, so I don't have the option of meriting CHR, Singing, Wind, or String. Unless I wanted to take all those merits out lol, as well as most people who don't main a job, its highly ever fully merited out :]

So.

Gear that can help me land stuff > Haste% for my bard.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-04-15 06:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

ok. I didnt read everything in this thread. just looking at your item sets. Drop the opo crown, use relic head, if you cant get it use Demon Helm(+1), although Marduk's Tiara beats both of them imo.

You also have bother coresette +1 and gleemans belt, why?

I would also put B haidate and Sha'ir Gages, and maybe Sha'ir Crackows in that haste set.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-15 09:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Well it all depends... If you are hitting the highest tier of your songs then slowly switch out the pointless singing skill for song casting minus. For March 2 you should be always doing it in full singing/wind skill imo.
 Sylph.Darkei
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Darkei 2010-04-20 17:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

ok, after read all (thank you all) coments and learn a little more about BRD

Gear Advice V 2.0

Buffs:

De-buff

Haste (utsu)

All here I have or can get w/o problems, but I still think about the feet's until get goliard (0/40 or more), sha'irs sound good but i don't want pay more money (I know, maybe think "you no want pay shai'r but buy minstrel ring?" but minstrel make BRD a little more fun :P)

well you think is best gear/order comparing the first post?

Unicorn.Fosgate
user: Fosgate
By Unicorn.Fosgate 2010-04-20 18:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply

To each his own i guess, but i use gleeman's belt. Same CHR, just higher lvl (and cheaper).

You could add in a Chanters staff for buffs. Oracles boots are really good, but i just use Rostrum pumps for buffs and goliard clogs for debuffs. I would for sure yank out that minstrels ring though on Debuffs and use a +4/5 CHR ring.

Light Grip and Earth grip are really good for lullaby/elegy too.

If you have Sea access, go hit up some IX'drg for an Astute cape. 25mp and +5skill. Yummy yummy. ITs free, just takes a lot of luck not to get the deed. But then again, DRG deeds can sell in bazaar VERY well.

Also, Go errant or Mahatma slops for debuffs. +7/8 CR. You will want as close to 130 total CHR as you can get. After 130, it has diminishing returns.

Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-04-20 18:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Dont forget about Echo Cape. drop rate is a *** (im 1/14 on it), but its a 2 hr pop NM and rarely camped, atleast on carby, and its soloble as thf. Also if you have HQ AF hands, I assume you work against HQ AF pants as well?

Edit: My skill set is far from perfect, but this is what im using atm.

working on Oracle's Pigaches for now.
 Sylph.Darkei
By Sylph.Darkei 2010-04-20 18:53:17
Link | Quote | Reply

thank you fostgate, I fixed my debuff set, as elvaan and the gear i got 108~ CHR

@zanno: chanter's staff sound tempting but is more money xD

about Bard's Roundlet 5 member of dynamis ls want it and have more points that is why I do not consider before

and yes working for chl. cannions +1 nobody in my limbus need it, and I have many coins

thank you for tell me about the NM, work for my THF >:D
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-20 19:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you thought about the Demon Helm+1 Zanno?

Not that much better, but if you're trying to squeeze as much skill as possible out, might be worth using.
[+]
 Unicorn.Fosgate
user: Fosgate
By Unicorn.Fosgate 2010-04-21 17:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

OHHHHHHHHHHH i almost forgot one of the coolest bard head peice! I actually got this Augmented Demon helm from ANNM in rolanberry fields. It was a Demon helm with +5 Chr and +1 M.acc. It drops from the crate. Its a very easy ANNM. Best tank to use beleive it or not is a WHM. They can esuna and cure themselves all day.

I used this helm for a long time till i got the relic hat. Relic hat is actually inferior to this. IT's like a relic hat with +1 Macc.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Gummy_Guillaume
 Sylph.Darkei
By Sylph.Darkei 2010-04-21 20:21:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Good news, Altana want me as BRD xD

Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2010-04-22 02:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Fosgate said:
OHHHHHHHHHHH i almost forgot one of the coolest bard head peice! I actually got this Augmented Demon helm from ANNM in rolanberry fields. It was a Demon helm with 5 Chr and 1 M.acc. It drops from the crate. Its a very easy ANNM. Best tank to use beleive it or not is a WHM. They can esuna and cure themselves all day.

I used this helm for a long time till i got the relic hat. Relic hat is actually inferior to this. IT's like a relic hat with 1 Macc.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Gummy_Guillaume

but i want to be cute, i don't want to have horns :(

need to do more dynamis-sandy
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-22 10:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Darkei said:

Congrats! was the NM hard? Also did you have much comp?
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-04-22 10:38:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Darkei said:

I hate you! I camped that NM for 3 days - 14 or 16 kills before it dropped for me with TH4

@Flionheart

You can easily solo the NM as THF/NIN or NIN/DNC with eva setup. Just bring lots of Echo Drops. When I camped it there was only 1 other guy that came every now and then and wanted to kill it, but other than that no competition. Since it respawn exactly 2 hr after last kill its very easy to keep track, and just log on when its about to spawn.

It has really crappy acc, but when it hit you it hits like a truck, extremely high tripple attack rate, and spam the silence move alot. Got additional effect stun on its attacks as well.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-22 10:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Sylph.Darkei said:

I hate you! I camped that NM for 3 days - 14 or 16 kills before it dropped for me with TH4

@Flionheart

You can easily solo the NM as THF/NIN or NIN/DNC with eva setup. Just bring lots of Echo Drops. When I camped it there was only 1 other guy that came every now and then and wanted to kill it, but other than that no competition. Since it respawn exactly 2 hr after last kill its very easy to keep track, and just log on when its about to spawn.

It has really crappy acc, but when it hit you it hits like a truck, extremely high tripple attack rate, and spam the silence move alot. Got additional effect stun on its attacks as well.

Reckon it'll be do-able as mnk/nin? or mnk/dnc? lol.

If not I've got a nin/dnc mate who can give me a hand anyways.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-04-22 10:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldnt go as mnk/anything tbh (for solo). it hits really fast, and with the silence and stun (if you're getting hit) it can get ugly very fast
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-22 10:47:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
I wouldnt go as mnk/anything tbh (for solo). it hits really fast, and with the silence and stun (if you're getting hit) it can get ugly very fast

Lol this should be fun then >.>
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-04-22 10:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Whe I solo on THF i used perfect dogde atleast 1 time every fight, more because it was easier to keep track of the 2 hr respawn than the fact it was actually needed. But a couple of times I got silenced and stunned with shadows down, it hit me for like 200-250 per hit and crit up to 350 without any buffs.
 Bismarck.Chasuro
Server: Bismarck
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-04-22 10:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh man, that *** hits like a truck with double and triple attack. Add to it silence & stun it killed me quick on thf75 solo. :(

It went like this:

Silneced, ok use echo drops. I'm stunned! Ouch! He hits hard! Ouch and again, oh no! Over and over! Aggghhhh ... dead.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-22 10:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

How much HP does he have, reckon he could be zerged by a well geared sam 2hring with SV'd buffs?
First Page 2 3