Coronavirus Death Toll Estimation USA

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Coronavirus death toll estimation USA
Coronavirus death toll estimation USA
First Page 2 3 ... 33 34 35 ... 53 54 55
By Viciouss 2020-07-15 22:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Prong said: »
I also read that now, Japan is having a surge in cases. Wasn't someone just using Japan as an example of how this could be handled flawlessly?

I think this shows that humans are pretty much egotistical to think anything they can do short of finding a cure or digging holes in the ground to live in can do a damn thing to contain an airborne virus.

I had just seen US military bases in Japan were suffering outbreaks, not the country itself but again, didn't read the reports.
 Cerberus.Hideka
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-15 22:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

the data shows that there's barely a disparity between D/R States in terms of caseload, but almost double the death rate in D states vs R states. the population difference, or density wouldnt account for this large of a swing either. There's only a overall 17% population difference between each grouping, with almost identical infection coverage - only a 9% difference.
By Prong 2020-07-15 22:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Hideka said: »

there i threw in cases per mil for ya too

Wow, Connecticut and Mass. are doing surprisingly terrible in the deaths per million category. I'd think with their smaller populations and abundance of rural residents it wouldn't be so bad. Well, Baltimore....I always forget about Baltimore.
[+]
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-15 22:42:31
Link | Quote | Reply

there i threw in cases per mil for ya too

Wow, Connecticut and Mass. are doing surprisingly terrible in the deaths per million category. I'd think with their smaller populations and abundance of rural residents it wouldn't be so bad. Well, Baltimore....I always forget about Baltimore.

oh, its because they all followed cuomo's absofuckinglutely moronic move to put all of the sick old people back into the old folks homes.
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-15 22:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

literally mass is one of the only R states that had this order, and its death rate is through the roof comparatively to all other R States.

california, after some digging, had the same order, but it looks like the nursing homes still refused the order in most parts of the state, which indicates their lower rate comparatively is possibly due to that refusal.
[+]
By Prong 2020-07-15 22:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »
I also read that now, Japan is having a surge in cases. Wasn't someone just using Japan as an example of how this could be handled flawlessly?

I think this shows that humans are pretty much egotistical to think anything they can do short of finding a cure or digging holes in the ground to live in can do a damn thing to contain an airborne virus.

I had just seen US military bases in Japan were suffering outbreaks, not the country itself but again, didn't read the reports.

Ah, I see that story. This is the one I read, which it seems was actually from 15 days ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/coronavirus-uptick-in-japan-infections-triggers-second-wave-fears/ar-BB1696ZZ
By Prong 2020-07-15 22:48:09
Link | Quote | Reply

literally mass is one of the only R states that had this order, and its death rate is through the roof comparatively to all other R States.

california, after some digging, had the same order, but it looks like the nursing homes still refused the order in most parts of the state, which indicates their lower rate comparatively is possibly due to that refusal.

Yeah I really can't wrap my mind around why anything would think that was a good idea. I'm in Ohio. We have a very large penal system and at one point something like 55% of all reported Covid cases were actually those of prisoners. I think in one weekend, something like 78% of the prison population in Marion tested positive, which was around 1,700 people which literally doubled the state's total positive Covid cases (at that time).
[+]
By Prong 2020-07-15 22:54:08
Link | Quote | Reply

All I had seen was Florida wasn't reporting negative tests, but I never read the article.

I see what you mean. Seems there were some labs that did not report false tests (tested No for Covid) and how the Florida Dept of Health was reporting the numbers, it skewed their total numbers by appearing to having 98 to 100% testing positive for Covid. That'll do it.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/07/15/high-coronavirus-positive-case-rate-reveals-flaws-in-florida-department-of-health-report/
By Viciouss 2020-07-15 22:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

All I had seen was Florida wasn't reporting negative tests, but I never read the article.

I see what you mean. Seems there were some labs that did not report false tests (tested No for Covid) and how the Florida Dept of Health was reporting the numbers, it skewed their total numbers by appearing to having 98 to 100% testing positive for Covid. That'll do it.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/07/15/high-coronavirus-positive-case-rate-reveals-flaws-in-florida-department-of-health-report/

I would chalk this up to being overwhelmed, and not actually malicious.
By Prong 2020-07-15 23:01:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah seems like just a differing "method" of reporting from lab to lab. Like, the Dept of Health has a spreadsheet prepared to punch in everyone's numbers and the temp they hired to do it just, went with what they got emailed, hit Save and sent it off so they could grab a bite to eat before their 90 Day Fiance Watch Party started.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-07-16 09:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Its Florida. I wouldn't rule out anything.
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-16 10:19:58
Link | Quote | Reply

when you actually look at the mortality rates by state.... this is insane.

on average you are nearly twice as likely to die if you live in a democrat controlled state if you look comparatively to deaths vs cases.

comparatively here's the republican states

texas and florida the states people are losing their ***over, are still among the BOTTOM mortality rates in the nation.

Remember over a month ago when 'OH MY GOD NORTH DAKOTA IS THE NEW HOTSPOT THEYRE ALL GOING TO DIE'.

there they are. at the same extremely low mortality rate they've been at when that last media hoax came around. i dont expect texas or florida to be any different.
[+]
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-16 10:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

like seriously - florida is literally lower than all but one democratically controlled state, and more than half of republican states. texas is doing even better - lower than every democrat state, and even lower than almost every republican state.

if you havent caught on: the media focus on texas and florida is purely political, because of how insanely well they've done given their size and population density.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-07-16 10:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

Its Florida. I wouldn't rule out anything.

Well yeah, that's true.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-16 18:38:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm ready for Vic's daily Texas case/death update today.

The state has had a backlog spanning 3 weeks, and now they are finally done. The "daily record broken" issue was only because of the case backlog, not actual new cases diagnosed/contracted each day.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-07-16 18:48:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Havent seen it yet, I'm guessing its 10k and 100+ again tho.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-16 18:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

So, are you going to admit that these "new record broken" days are just backlogged cases that are finally being reported?
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-16 18:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

+66,493

Texas +8,079 +101
Florida +13,965 +156
By Viciouss 2020-07-16 19:02:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
So, are you going to admit that these "new record broken" days are just backlogged cases that are finally being reported?

I haven't seen that report, so no.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-16 23:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
+66,493

Texas +8,079 +101
Florida +13,965 +156

They added 7,000 more before the GMT midnight close.

+73,388 Another New Record
By volkom 2020-07-16 23:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

+66,493

Texas +8,079 +101
Florida +13,965 +156

They added 7,000 more before the GMT midnight close.

+73,388 Another New Record

let us know too when the rates pass New York
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-17 00:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

~5 Days to 4 million cases
~7 days to 150k deaths
~10 days to fighting over the top slot with NY
~15 days until 30 million evictions
~20 days till they burn the whole country to the ground instead of going back to work with corona
By Prong 2020-07-17 00:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

~5 Days to 4 million cases
~7 days to 150k deaths
~10 days to fighting over the top slot with NY
~15 days until 30 million evictions
~20 days till they burn the whole country to the ground instead of going back to work with corona

Living in rural America just gets better and better and better every day.

To this day I've never understood why people who are supposedly so poor flock to live in areas with the highest average rental property/home ownership rates. Whenever I ask for opinions on this, all I ever get is rednecks screeching, "cuz it's closer to the Welfare office." That CAN'T really be the answer, can it?
[+]
By Prong 2020-07-17 00:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Living in rural America just gets better and better and better every day.

Aside from the killer poison ivy, let me make that perfectly clear.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-17 00:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Work. It's highly inefficient to live an hour outside the only place work is.

You ain't getting a job in BFE so on top of only slave labor for slave pay you have to drive 2 hours, meaning 12 hours of every day is devoted to work.

Or, you live in the shithole city and pay double rent. lose/lose
By Prong 2020-07-17 00:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You ain't getting a job in BFE so on top of only slave labor for slave pay you have to drive 2 hours, meaning 12 hours of every day is devoted to work.

But what about the millions who don't work? I mean, if it came down to starving or renting a rural house for $800 a month on my social benefit check, planting a garden, I'll take the garden.
By Prong 2020-07-17 00:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

And actually where I live, there are quite a few decent pay factories (Dupont, Kenworth, Glatfelter(Mead Paper)) that pay in the $25-$30 an hour range after only a year or two there. IF you can physically handle being on your feet on concrete 8-12 hrs a day and are able to work swing shift (which sucks but isn't THAT bad). Rest is just like anywhere else...food service/retail.

The folks I'm talking about aren't getting tech jobs at start ups anyhow.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-17 00:30:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cost of moving. Family safety net. Kids schools. "convenience" groceries/gas/movies. Fear of bears/coyotes/wolves. Snow plowing/salt. Public transportation. Hospital distance. Bars.

All kinds of reasons. Most of it is work, but for the ones who don't work, it's probably the $100,000 price tag of a shack.
By Prong 2020-07-17 00:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cost of moving. Family safety net. Kids schools. "convenience" groceries/gas/movies. Fear of bears/coyotes/wolves. Snow plowing/salt. Public transportation. Hospital distance. Bars.

All kinds of reasons. Most of it is work, but for the ones who don't work, it's probably the $100,000 price tag of a shack.

I'm ignoring your taking shots at rural living....but for $110 grand where I live, you could get a 2 story home, not a shack, with 3 or 4 acres. Remember, when you don't live in high price dumps that charge $500 grand for a parking spot where homeless people take a dump in them, you get a lot more for your money.
[+]
By Prong 2020-07-17 00:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

movies

And who in the flying *** goes out to movies anymore?
First Page 2 3 ... 33 34 35 ... 53 54 55