Dev Tracker - Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 214 215 216 ... 427 428 429
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-07-07 08:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Nevermind, not really any answer in there. Was a 4 year necro complaining about a laptop. May or may not, idk.
 Bahamut.Aldy
Server: Bahamut
user: Aldy
By Bahamut.Aldy 2021-07-07 10:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »
Jesus. Get over it. *wall of whiney text follows*

[+]
By joemamma 2021-07-07 10:26:30
Link | Quote | Reply

joemamma said: »
History of FFXI:

It all began with a troll yell on Asura or so the legends says...

People think some random drunk or person with mental health issues yelling on a video game is somehow exclusive to Asura or caused by Asura's population still?

Jesus. Get over it. There are many games with much worse chat. The main current issues with Asura's yells are as such:

1. the blacklist doesn't work when you zone

2. some people get away with serious yells for FAR too long even when reported by multiple people because GMs are nearly non-existent to the point where it takes hours to get help with anything that a GM can't solve with a "please report this on the FFXI official STF report page" generic reply. I RARELY see someone actively being disruptive to the point where it looks like they are looking for a ban by using profanity/racism/sexual things though.

3. SE lets merc yell botter accounts exist for far too long. The advertisements for blatantly obvious botted stuff REALLY should have been addressed, but see problem 2 for that. STF doesn't exist. Prove me wrong with non-made up numbers from SE about "gil they removed from the game" fake info they spout.

4. Free-to-play exists and yells get seriously worse because people are not giving a *** on accounts they didn't pay for and don't care to lose

If we had real active GMs 24/7 that policed yell actively, RMT botters were nuked quicker than they could make JP farming bots to advertise for, and free-to-play was never a thing, yell would be much better.

This is not an "Asura" thing. It's any unsupervised online chat anywhere; especially free-to-play.

FFS. Is it just "fun" to say "Asura. Hur hur". Must be the same "fun" people have when saying "backwater server" or "ghost town server". You backwater servers keep existing though. We love that you exist because there has to be some servers active where Asura players can pay to travel when they want to farm an Empyrean Weapon without competition or where people can take a bunch of stuff off-world to off-load it for profits on barren Auction Houses.

Cool story bro do you have a book of your musings ?
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2021-07-07 10:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone says anything remotely bad about Asura.

Aeonova:

I went to Asura to buy some gear that wasnt getting stocked on Carby...non-stop shouts, my word.
[+]
By joemamma 2021-07-07 10:46:26
Link | Quote | Reply

At first it was just he mercenary culture now that laziness has seeped into everything.

We everyday reinforce people to be dumb and lazy on Asura. Then complain when we do a pick up group with scrubs.

We created the monster and it will never get better.

Instead of helping noobs get armor/weapons we charge them.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-07-07 11:11:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Instead of helping noobs get armor/weapons we charge them.

It's not always the noobs that are necessarily buying everything. They don't even have the gil to enter that market. It's usually some greedy person's 15th mule they are buying stuff for. So charging that "noob" is perfectly reasonable.

Helping people is well and good, until you become that "noob's" lifeline. I cannot count how many times I have helped someone without expecting anything in return, and then every single day they ask for something else. Then they finally quit/take a break. You invest into helping randoms, and they don't really learn anything besides "I have a friend who can do it".

The best way to help a newer player is to join one of those LSs at the Concierge, or use the assist channel and offer assistance. Yells are hardly where you find noobs looking for genuine help. Most people on Asura already know this.
[+]
By joemamma 2021-07-07 11:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not helping some noob I'm too elite to do that.
By joemamma 2021-07-07 11:21:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea join a linkshell so your spot will be taken by someone's mule/friend.
 Valefor.Heabea
Server: Valefor
user: Heabea
By Valefor.Heabea 2021-07-07 12:51:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ppl whining over a stupid server, no one complaining that SE spent more dev time on a 20th anniversary website than they did this game in last month.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-07-07 12:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Heabea said: »
Ppl whining over a stupid server, no one complaining that SE spent more dev time on a 20th anniversary website than they did this game in last month.

For the record while not saying that specifically, I'm always of that stance. Wasting resources on *** instead of fixes.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-07-07 12:57:31
Link | Quote | Reply

...but guys. New slightyly animated FFXI backgrounds for your Zoom meetings!
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-07-07 12:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Them investing so much time into the WAV website should be an indication that they must have some big plans for the 20th. There is no conceivable way they could have the time to indulge in pure nostalgia, if not for preparing the way for something grander.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-07-07 13:01:30
Link | Quote | Reply

@Eiryl made what to me is the most valued point in this kind of discussion- one needs a mix of pickup content and static content. I'd go even further and say that scaling of various contents isn't the solution in a game that doesn't handle scaling well- its much easier and practical to implement having some things that are built for solo play, some for 6 man pickup content, some for 6 man static content, and some for large group (I call anything 18 man limit this, even if done with 8....once you cross 1 party that's my personal definition line).

The hard part is splitting up rewards among those various things in a balanced way, but part of that is on us as players. We're drawn like bugs to a zapper to the newest thing and view any other content, even if valuable things come from it, as dated and stale.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-07-07 13:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Them investing so much time into the WAV website should be an indication that they must have some big plans for the 20th. There is no conceivable way they could have the time to indulge in pure nostalgia, if not for preparing the way for something grander.

I'd like to think that- but its a whole lot cheaper and easier to build a shiny promotional platform for a 19 year old game than try and drag it kicking and screaming into today's gaming standards. As has been said by many much more knowledgeable than I, such a thing would require a complete rebuild of FFXI, and the value just isn't there for SE.
By joemamma 2021-07-07 13:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

20th anniversary bed.
[+]
By joemamma 2021-07-07 13:31:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I looked at the website that was minimum effort. Maybe spent 20-30 minutes making it.

Hell they could make a website to announce they have "no plans'.
[+]
By Felgarr 2021-07-07 13:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea join a linkshell so your spot will be taken by someone's mule/friend.

Well, this game has always had an invisible line, separating the folks who do content, and the folks who don't do content.
By joemamma 2021-07-07 13:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I can see it now. They update the FFXI log on screen with 20th anniversary logo and "Thanks for playing"

That's it that's the big announcement.
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-07-07 13:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Called it before, but it's worth repeating. They're making a Final Fantasy XI (11) animated series or movie or miniseries. They already have the studio that is working on a Final Fantasy IX (9) anime.

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/final-fantasy-9-animated-series-release-date-trailer-story-timeline

I know they are still making content here for 11 and we will have new regions due to them having un-utilized resources in the game dats (I know some of you have seen the animations for nation ranks 11~15 from modelviewer/altanaviewer as an example) as well as concept art and in-game plots leading us into Tartarus.

Maybe the big thing will simply the reveal of both of these.
[+]
By joemamma 2021-07-07 13:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Who needs new content when you got an animated series.
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-07-07 13:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Now that I think about it, it would be tough to make this into an animated series. More likely it would be a little 5 minute animated "greatest hits" music video or something with key scenes from all of the storylines in a little 5 minute tribute video or something.

Other companies have done things similar. Pokemon made little music videos with animated scenes from their games on their anniversaries that aren't actually in any complete animated show or movie, but just to show you the things you remember in a new way.

A little nostalgia video set to music highlighting memorable climactic scenes from the various expansions is 110% within something I could see SquareEnix doing for the 20th anniversary. Not that they've shown us as much love as we have demanded on MUST HAVE UPDATE EVERY DAY RAWR scale, but a 20th anniversary is a big deal for a MMO.

To be fair, even this website they have released is something I didn't expect out of them so #hypetrain, but with a stand by and wait kind of mentality because... I've been hurt by SE before and am not ready to get hurt again.
 Odin.Foxmulder
Server: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-07-07 14:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Could it be simply a promotional trailer they're making?
By Draylo 2021-07-07 14:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
One can hope it's a fix for the awful performance on 30xx cards.
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
God I hope so. Get awful tuttering and lag in Adoulin and Batallia Downs and a few other places.

Oh? What happens??
 Bahamut.Neb
Server: Bahamut
user: Neb
By Bahamut.Neb 2021-07-07 14:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Shiva.Thorny said: »
One can hope it's a fix for the awful performance on 30xx cards.
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
God I hope so. Get awful tuttering and lag in Adoulin and Batallia Downs and a few other places.

Oh? What happens??

I wish I knew mine is horrible on a 2080 as well in certain areas mainly Whitegate and Adouin
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-07-07 17:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Foxmulder said: »
Could it be simply a promotional trailer they're making?

Unlikely. I wouldn't guess that they would do anything to promote this monthly-fee-based game over their monthly-fee-based game that also has a very lucrative cash-shop.

More likely just a tribute video of some sort. Again, nothing confirmed, but just my speculation. I don't see them only making a web page with simply static interviews from their devs. They will make /something/ flashy. What it will be I can only guess.

They can't really use any of this game's vanilla play as a representation that would come off looking well in 2021 for any kind of "trailer" as you mentioned. That's another reason I lean towards an animation of some sort. Just my thoughts though.
By Ruaumoko 2021-07-08 00:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Called it before, but it's worth repeating. They're making a Final Fantasy XI (11) animated series or movie or miniseries. They already have the studio that is working on a Final Fantasy IX (9) anime.

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/final-fantasy-9-animated-series-release-date-trailer-story-timeline
Very interesting about FFIX. Even more so that it's, as it stands, being pitched as a show for 9-13 y/o's. IX is pretty dark and covers some heavy themes, but then again so did Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Optimistic about it to be honest.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2021-07-08 00:55:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Demon Slayer is PG12 in Japan
 Asura.Essylt
user: quro
By Asura.Essylt 2021-07-08 02:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

That would make no sense business-wise. Unless they're targeting the very niche demographic of "middle-aged people nostalgic for their youth wasted on being video game nerds", it would be something with fairly significant production costs and very little in-built audience. If you're going to make a an anime about a FF MMO, XIV is the much more likely candidate, especially considering the recent surge in popularity it's had.
Looking at it purely from a business standpoint, if you're going to spend money on anything XI-related, it's a much better move to invest in the game itself, since that way you're least getting recurring revenue as opposed to one-time sale.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-07-08 05:30:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Oh? What happens??

Nothing specific, just general worse performance on 30xx than prior cards. Higher GPU load in terms of percent and worse framerates on my 3090 than I had on my 2080Ti. Haven't tried to look into the cause, since it's likely not anything users could fix.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2021-07-08 08:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Essylt said: »
That would make no sense business-wise. Unless they're targeting the very niche demographic of "middle-aged people nostalgic for their youth wasted on being video game nerds", it would be something with fairly significant production costs and very little in-built audience. If you're going to make a an anime about a FF MMO, XIV is the much more likely candidate, especially considering the recent surge in popularity it's had.
Looking at it purely from a business standpoint, if you're going to spend money on anything XI-related, it's a much better move to invest in the game itself, since that way you're least getting recurring revenue as opposed to one-time sale.

I mean, from a business standpoint the best thing to do with this IP would have been the mobile game.
First Page 2 3 ... 214 215 216 ... 427 428 429