Ixion for BRD
First Page 2 3
 Ifrit.Jurai
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2009-08-04 23:06:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Wondering if this is a better debuff item or not than what is normally used?

Ixion offers CHR+13 and MACC+5

Errant (or Osode) offers +10 CHR
AF2 hat offers CHR+5 making a total of +15
Demon Helm+1 would be +16 CHR

What I'm wondering is that Singing+5 on AF2 hat.. since Wind/Singing are sorta tied together.. is that +5 really only giving me sort of half?

What exactly does Singing/Wind have to do with debuffing and sleep? I've always thought Skill+ was the way to go.

I'm guess it's not better than MACC+5 on Ixion but.. BRD doesn't get resist much anyway?

I'm not considering the Refresh/Regen because I'm looking at what is best for bebuff.

My brd has been pretty gimp in terms of CHR+ or Skill+ for a very long time and I've never had much problems at all.. so wonder what the more advanced BRDs would suggest.

And of course change back to skill items for buffing.

--

Also, what are some other options for using this on my BLM and WHM?
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-04 23:47:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't think about using this for BLM....

Weskit pwns this hands down, and you still get to equip a hat with the weskit....

WHM I don't know, but BLM, don't do it. There is a reason why you don't see BLMs nuke with Ixion Cloak.
[+]
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-08-04 23:52:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:

Weskit pwns this hands down, and you still get to equip a hat with the weskit....

WHM I don't know, but BLM, don't do it. There is a reason why you don't see BLMs nuke with Ixion Cloak.
He's asking about BARD you dumbass... while your opinion is valid, it has nothing to do with the OP.

While I DO NOT have BRD leveled or unlocked, NOR profess to have expertise what I can and will say is that I've seen support brd in meripo (the non-pulling /whm one) wear these. It's a useful tool for sure, and I'd wager on meripo mobs like birds or mamools you're fine. I doubt this would be the case in HNM.

Again not claiming personal expertise, just offering my experience with people who have used and what I've learned from talking to them...
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-04 23:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
Korpg said:

He's asking about BARD you dumbass... while your opinion is valid, it has nothing to do with the OP.

Jurai said:
Wondering if this is a better debuff item or not than what is normally used?

Ixion offers CHR+13 and MACC+5

Errant (or Osode) offers +10 CHR
AF2 hat offers CHR+5 making a total of +15
Demon Helm+1 would be +16 CHR

What I'm wondering is that Singing+5 on AF2 hat.. since Wind/Singing are sorta tied together.. is that +5 really only giving me sort of half?

What exactly does Singing/Wind have to do with debuffing and sleep? I've always thought Skill+ was the way to go.

I'm guess it's not better than MACC+5 on Ixion but.. BRD doesn't get resist much anyway?

I'm not considering the Refresh/Regen because I'm looking at what is best for bebuff.

My brd has been pretty gimp in terms of CHR+ or Skill+ for a very long time and I've never had much problems at all.. so wonder what the more advanced BRDs would suggest.

And of course change back to skill items for buffing.

--

Also, what are some other options for using this on my BLM and WHM?

Look before you respond, moron.
[+]
 Ifrit.Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2009-08-05 00:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea it is def a nice support piece for the Regen/Refresh.

BLM/WHM I could use for Drain/Aspir? For the MACC? Because INT doesn't matter..? Or would Gol/WT still be better for 9% Haste on those spells?

Just more interested in how it would do on my bard as a debuff tool etc over the other easily available items.

It's seeming more a luxury item than anything atm.
 Asura.Hoshiku
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2009-08-05 00:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

as far as whm goes macc on ixion cape might be useful for repose although nashira manteel would be better. ixion cape would be ok for casting slow and paralyze although there are better alternatives and ideally you have someone who can cast tier II slow/para. ixion cape is in no way a replacement for nobles tunic (10% cure potency >>> 13 MND) but might be a useful idle piece if you're /sch and don't want to lose hp from sublimation (although personally i like the hp loss since it gets me closer to medicine ring range). i don't use ixion cape for much (it was my blm idle piece before i got morrigan's robe).
 Ramuh.Scarmiglione
Server: Ramuh
user: afranko22
By Ramuh.Scarmiglione 2009-08-05 00:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:

While I DO NOT have BRD leveled or unlocked, NOR profess to have expertise what I can and will say is that I've seen support brd in meripo (the non-pulling /whm one) wear these. It's a useful tool for sure, and I'd wager on meripo mobs like birds or mamools you're fine. I doubt this would be the case in HNM.

Again not claiming personal expertise, just offering my experience with people who have used and what I've learned from talking to them...

question, why pay millions for autorefresh when vermillion cloak does just as well?
pulling with /NIN, there are better gear for the CHR and skill, the equation for skill and maagic accuracy comes into play here. Possibly relic hat + osode or errant, since you might want to increase your skill for buffs. If you are /WHM, you won't be singing on birds, the mimic ability could potentially be troublesome.
Merit party pulling mamools or imps, if the party needs you as /WHM to backup heal... you have bigger issues than needing the autorefresh.
I couldn't see the autorefresh doing anything as far as HNM, or whatever you want to call it. If MP is that big of an issue, have a macro for your vermillion for non-song time. I think with a combination of relic hat and osode or errant for +15 CHR and skill from hat, you will be better off landing elegy and whatever else is needed. Errant is simple to get ahold of and demon helm can hold up for a head piece until you get relic hat.

I wouldnt be caught dead in this on BLM, there are much better items that are alot cheaper for nukes. For drain and aspir, nashira does well, with body giving +5 dark skill, head giving magic ACC.

For WHM, it migt be ok for repose and/or flash, banish, etc. I personally wouldnt spend millions on a situational piece like that though.

Malekith, quit being a damn troll and read the whole post before you go off on someone.
 Ramuh.Kiriyu
Server: Ramuh
user: kiriyu
By Ramuh.Kiriyu 2009-08-05 00:42:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Stick with Osode + AF2 hat. You may not notice resists much if your BRD is for meriting onry, but outside of merits, yeah, there are times when you will get the occasional resist. I guess the refresh/regen is nice if you have the gil to dump on it, but otherwise stick with Osode/AF2hat.

And stacking CHR isn't the best way to go, once you hit that "soft cap", it's best to replace some CHR gear with skill gear, but looking at your skill gear right now, doesn't seem like you should have that problem.

I'd post more but I'm in the middle of Salvage so I'll ninja edit this later.
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2009-08-05 00:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on what you're trying to land spells on for BRD imo. With Osode + Relic head, I nearly never get resisted, aside from things that normally resist like crazy, but theres also another benefit to having that skill+ on the Head along with CHR, though it has to do with buffs. The more skill+ you add, the higher tier your songs can reach, for example:

A BRD with 445 to 498 combined skill will have Haste+10.x% on Victory March, while a BRD with 499, or higher, will have 11.x% Haste.

The difference is not much, but I see Ixion cloak being about the same as then Relic + Osode. It may have a slightly better advantage vs mobs with higher resistance, like Aura Statues in Sky (Diorite mobs) which resist my lullaby maybe 25% of the time with my setup. I dont have, nor probably will not obtain, an Ixion cloak to test this on, but I believe they will both be equal in the end, while AF 2 + Osode combo will provide that small extra boost on song tiers.

I do agree with you on that it seems more like a Luxury item, which is why I will be sticking with my setup for now (Osode and relic).
 Fairy.Rikhu
Server: Fairy
user: Rikhu
By Fairy.Rikhu 2009-08-05 00:57:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The combination between ( Yigit Gomlek or Shair) and Brd AF1 +1 Body is better.

(Yigit Gomlek or Shair) for March,Minuet,Ballad (self song)

and

(Brd AF1+1 Body or Shair) for enfeebling song like Elegy, Lullaby.

For Hat: can use Goliard, Turban, Demon helm+1 or Brd AF2 hat.

There is no need for Ixion cloak for brd i guess.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-08-05 01:10:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Scarmiglione said:
Malekith, quit being a damn troll and read the whole post before you go off on someone.
LMAO... the OP thought my words were fine, so who did I troll... mebbe you?

As for knee-jerk slamm of Korpg, it happens. *shrug* When you have a TL OP and it's "Titled Ixion for BRD", and you see the first response starts talking about BLM it's a natural mistake.

I'll take greater care next time or not, we'll just have to see now won't we? oO
[+]
 Ifrit.Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2009-08-05 01:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I might be able to get Nash body or head in the near future for BLM but probably not.

I do use a 499 set for buffing so that isn't an issue.

Using Yigit or Sha'ir for BRD body is dumb IMO, unless you hit the 499 some other way (I can't get merits).. and there are better body armor for debuff.

I heard someone say about Vermy. IMO that is a pointless item which money could be spent to buy Ixion instead- that is if you are just going for it for BRD.

For /SCH on WHM I have an Orochi Nodowa that I like to run around in.. but I could sell that which would cut a little in the price of the Cloak. But yea I do use Sublimation to keep my HP down for Med Ring.

--

Part of my original question is that is Singing+5 on the AF2 had better or worse that MACC+5. No one has commented on the effect of Skill Vs MACC.

As well, I did ask about for WHM and BLM. So thx for replying about that- even getting yelled about it by others. My BLM is retired right now. I'm thinking of making it 'cool' rather than good.. I miss being cool :( FFXI you have to use the best +STAT item or you fail.. I want to be cool again lol..
 Fairy.Rikhu
By Fairy.Rikhu 2009-08-05 01:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Jurai said:
No one has commented on the effect of Skill Vs MACC.

I believe 1 Macc is 1 Skill although many opinion says 1 skill is 0.9 Macc or otherwise.

and 2 Chr is equal of 1 Macc.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-08-05 02:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I Have no comments on Blm or Whm, but here are my thoughts on Bard.

Scarm is right, better options for autorefresh, so throw that out the window.
Kiriyu is right about stacking charisma being a waste, so the Chr is a wash.

And btw, on my server anyways, V Cloak prices are about a third of Ixion bodies. But how often do you need refresh on bard... should really be keeping ballad up on your mages anyways... maybe if you were in a strict 3 bard alliance rotation...

Shai'r manteel being dumb is an interesting viewpoint... and usually one that *non-Bards* have. Why is it that you dislike Shair?

In terms of Skill vs Accuracy. There is a cap where 1 skill = 1 accuracy (I *think* it is 400 combined, but I could be wrong) and after that 1 skill = 0.9 accuracy. So in terms of debuffs, Magic accuracy will be *slightly* better than singing skill. However, when it comes to buffing up your party members, Magic accuracy has no effect on the potency of your songs, whereas higher combined singing/wind skill does.

tl;dr
Stick with the Relic Head/KO combination for general use if you hate Relic/Shair so much.
If you want to try and maximize what youre doing, maybe use Ixion for debuffs and then switch back to Head/Body combo for buffs. But really there's no point. 5MAcc vs 5 Skill is 0.5 MAcc gained, and since the game operates in round numbers, best case scenario is you're getting 1 more macc, but chances are youre getting zip.
 Fairy.Rikhu
By Fairy.Rikhu 2009-08-05 04:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Jurai said:
I want to be cool again lol..

buy Sha'ir and you are cool on bard like
this :p
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-05 10:20:40
Link | Quote | Reply

While I don't profess that I know BRD, I will say I have leveled it to 75.

Killed it a long time ago though, so I will not offer BRD advice, as you can see here.

BLM advice was asked, so I gave my opinion about it. Other people, who think they know it but don't even have the job leveled, try to tell you what to do. Don't listen to them, because all they see are gimp players with it.

Listen only to those who have experience and knowledge about your questions. Don't listen to those who have opinions without experience.
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-08-05 10:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I got an Ixion Cloak when a good friend of mine quit about 6 months ago. I used it for all of my BRD debuffs until I got an AF2 hat. Now that I have that hat, I use it in combination with the AF+1 body for debuffing. My Ixion Cloak is now relagated to my idle gearset. Normally, I'd sell it and just use my Vermy for idle, but I'm sure people understand my reasons for not selling it.
 Carbuncle.Suigetsu
Server: Carbuncle
user: junpei87
By Carbuncle.Suigetsu 2009-08-05 10:38:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Only for SCH might be usefull for the rest of jobs that can equip it fails, shair body and af2 hat is better.
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-08-05 10:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I can only think of two situations in which a BRD should debuff in Manteel:

1) When casting Finale. It has the same ridiculous accuracy as Dispel, so you might as well go with the Haste on Manteel.

2) In merit parties.

Outside of that, any BRD who doesn't swap in Osode/Errant/AF+1/Shadow/Marduk for debuffs is kinda lazy.
[+]
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
Server: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-08-05 10:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

On BLM, the +13 INT can put you in a higher tier of elemental damage, but it really doesn't beat the errant/mahatma body + AF/AF+1 hat combo. It's not really worth it for BLM.

Edit: it may be worth it for Stoneskin casting though. Pair it with errant slops, kirin pole and promise badge and you've added about 100 damage negation to your SS. Still... lot of dosh for just a small increase over errant body.
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-08-05 11:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Eeek said:
I can only think of two situations in which a BRD should debuff in Manteel:

1) When casting Finale. It has the same ridiculous accuracy as Dispel, so you might as well go with the Haste on Manteel.

2) In merit parties.

Outside of that, any BRD who doesn't swap in Osode/Errant/AF+1/Shadow/Marduk for debuffs is kinda lazy.

This, this, this. So this. There's really no reason for a 'serious' bard to be running around with just the one gear set.

Edit:

Chupacabra said:
Edit: it may be worth it for Stoneskin casting though. Pair it with errant slops, kirin pole and promise badge and you've added about 100 damage negation to your SS. Still... lot of dosh for just a small increase over errant body.

Errant + Goliard would still equal out to more mind, though, if you can get your hands on it. Edited, forgot we were discussing BLM. :X
 Ifrit.Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2009-08-05 22:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Altar said:
I Have no comments on Blm or Whm, but here are my thoughts on Bard.

Scarm is right, better options for autorefresh, so throw that out the window.
Kiriyu is right about stacking charisma being a waste, so the Chr is a wash.

And btw, on my server anyways, V Cloak prices are about a third of Ixion bodies. But how often do you need refresh on bard... should really be keeping ballad up on your mages anyways... maybe if you were in a strict 3 bard alliance rotation...

Shai'r manteel being dumb is an interesting viewpoint... and usually one that *non-Bards* have. Why is it that you dislike Shair?

In terms of Skill vs Accuracy. There is a cap where 1 skill = 1 accuracy (I *think* it is 400 combined, but I could be wrong) and after that 1 skill = 0.9 accuracy. So in terms of debuffs, Magic accuracy will be *slightly* better than singing skill. However, when it comes to buffing up your party members, Magic accuracy has no effect on the potency of your songs, whereas higher combined singing/wind skill does.

tl;dr
Stick with the Relic Head/KO combination for general use if you hate Relic/Shair so much.
If you want to try and maximize what youre doing, maybe use Ixion for debuffs and then switch back to Head/Body combo for buffs. But really there's no point. 5MAcc vs 5 Skill is 0.5 MAcc gained, and since the game operates in round numbers, best case scenario is you're getting 1 more macc, but chances are youre getting zip.

1) Well for Sha'ir I would lose my 11% March. I can't get merits or ZNM boots atm so I have to use Minstril Coat.
2) I don't really see the need to get songs cast that much faster- I have Yigit and don't see much difference unless trying to hit kiters. (This is very opinionated because I don't merit (anymore/yet again?)
3) Better options for CHR on debuffs- 2% Haste really isn't going to do anything.
4) Someone said it looks cool but I'm a guy ><

Chupacabra said:

Yup do use Gol/Errant among other things (Morg Choker, PRope, AF2 pants, Suzaku Boots..) for Stoneskin.

---

ty for all the input everyone
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-08-05 22:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah ok, Min Coat wins then, but yeah, I use bard mainly for salvage and meriting, and in meritpt's the spellcast down is amazing. In Salvage Half my gear is locked, so hitting a high tier is out of the question as well.

To be fair, on debuffs the +3 chr wont do much either, but ya it is a *little* better. depends on situation really imo.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-05 22:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Chupacabra said:
On BLM, the +13 INT can put you in a higher tier of elemental damage, but it really doesn't beat the errant/mahatma body + AF/AF+1 hat combo. It's not really worth it for BLM.

Your damage would be much better with NQ weskit than with Ixion Cloak.

Lets say that INT = .5 MAB for T4s. 13 INT = 7.5 MAB, vs MAB+6 on NQ weskit. You say that Cloak > weskit, but you forget to add the headpiece that the Cloak is missing and can't equip.

So, you use a AF hat, thats +4 INT right there. Thats another MAB+2. Now you are at MAB+8 vs MAB+7.5....

And thats if you go the cheap route. Better you get on your gears, the further away from Cloak you become.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [88 days between previous and next post]
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-02 06:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Korpg said:
Chupacabra said:
On BLM, the 13 INT can put you in a higher tier of elemental damage, but it really doesn't beat the errant/mahatma body AF/AF 1 hat combo. It's not really worth it for BLM.

Your damage would be much better with NQ weskit than with Ixion Cloak.

Lets say that INT = .5 MAB for T4s. 13 INT = 7.5 MAB, vs MAB 6 on NQ weskit. You say that Cloak > weskit, but you forget to add the headpiece that the Cloak is missing and can't equip.

So, you use a AF hat, thats 4 INT right there. Thats another MAB 2. Now you are at MAB 8 vs MAB 7.5....

And thats if you go the cheap route. Better you get on your gears, the further away from Cloak you become.

how is .5 MUCH better.. ? the only thing that makes weskit more worthwhile is the elemental skill. .5 mab isnt making or breaking anything.
ive seen blms use ixion occasionally here on cait, and its always primarily for the refresh while nuking. if that elemental skill isnt all that necessary for what you do on blm, ixion is a fine choice granted you have the money. not the best for damage necessarily, but weighing the refresh.. imo anyway, its a decent piece for any blm that isnt hung up on being the best they can be.

quite frankly i find it amusing your trying to say dont listen to inexperienced ppl, ppl that dont have the proper jobs leveled, etc.. and you being a self proclaimed "veteran blm" are trying to pass off opinions for somthing being better than another as fact.. "dont even think about using this on blm... weskit hands down pwns this... etc"

wtf is that ***lol ? A. everyone plays different, and B. not everyone thinks like you do.

some friendly advice ko~
start prefacing the crap coming out of your mouth with "in my opinion" at least.
secondly, change your ffxiah avatar already.. its not funny, its not cute.. its a complete oxymoron to EVERYONE, and further makes it hard to take you seriously.
and lastly guy.. its time to take down your fake maats cap. just one more thing to be made fun of for, and not be taken seriously.
 Bahamut.Fyyvoaa
Server: Bahamut
user: Fyyvoaa
By Bahamut.Fyyvoaa 2009-11-02 06:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ixion for blm (no thanks.) seriously if you think it's good to do that, you don't need to be playing BLM, there is much better gear then that for a blm.

Ixion is just another of those e-peen items that is just there to pretty much say "HURF DURF I CAN SPEND GIL1111!!!!!"
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-02 07:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Fyyvoaa said:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ixion for blm (no thanks.) seriously if you think it's good to do that, you don't need to be playing BLM, there is much better gear then that for a blm.

Ixion is just another of those e-peen items that is just there to pretty much say "HURF DURF I CAN SPEND GIL1111!!!!!"

another one thinking their opinion is fact..
because someone might not take the job as seriously, might play/use it differently than usual, or just being different in anyway shape or form from your opinion i guess.. "ppl dont need to be playing blm"..

how bout if you think its ok to post opinions veiled as fact, you dont need to be breathing?

sure theres better gear, and i more or less said that.. but for a few reasons, i personally would not dismiss ixion cloak as just an epeen piece..
when on blm, if elemental skill and slightly higher dmg isnt crutial, and you want full time refresh.. its a fine piece.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-02 07:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

A wise man sad a long time ago, "A BLM should never nuke in any form of refresh gear other than Morrigan Body".

The head slot is a pretty important one for BLM, it offers a lot of skill or a reasonable amount of damage (no NQ AF please).

For brd it is basically the same, you are better off using separate head and body item for more flexibility.

Ixion cloak is for PUP when using blm automaton, other than that it is just a very expensive idle item.

Kaeko is the wise man for those that haven't figured it out
[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-02 08:11:01
Link | Quote | Reply

a lot of people seem to believe that since they themselves would never use something, no one ever should for any reason at all. i personally never would use an ixion cloak on blm either, but im not gonna be a presumptuous piece of crap and say, if your not going to use the best, you better stop playing the job..

i dont know how i can reiterate it any better, but ill try again. everyone plays -differently-.
there might be people that have leveled 75 blm at some point in their career, and only ever use it for occasionally soloing on mt. z. if someone told me, "i never use blm other than to solo xp when im bored, i tossed af hat even for inventory +1 and just pretty much use ixions since i use on sch too", i wouldnt be like "wow you should never play blm again." "wow the only time you should EVER use x is y.."

id be like. "thats cool"
im not about to judge how random people play in anyway.. but wtf do i know..
opinions are like ***, everyones got one.
[+]
First Page 2 3