Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » Ixion for BRD
Ixion for BRD
 Odin.Myhnegon
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Myhnegon
By Odin.Myhnegon 2009-11-02 08:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

if u worried about landing debuffs try to get ur hands on a H. Abj. Body, that body is probably really making a difference and the missing CHR can be obtained in other slots, but still can use ur headpiece. Personally i prefer Marduk's Tiara over AF2 hat, cuz 120-130 is usually enough, and i reach that without the 2 extra CHR on AF2 hat.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-02 08:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
a lot of people seem to believe that since they themselves would never use something, no one ever should for any reason at all. i personally never would use an ixion cloak on blm either, but im not gonna be a presumptuous piece of crap and say, if your not going to use the best, you better stop playing the job..

i dont know how i can reiterate it any better, but ill try again. everyone plays -differently-.
there might be people that have leveled 75 blm at some point in their career, and only ever use it for occasionally soloing on mt. z. if someone told me, "i never use blm other than to solo xp when im bored, i tossed af hat even for inventory 1 and just pretty much use ixions since i use on sch too", i wouldnt be like "wow you should never play blm again." "wow the only time you should EVER use x is y.."

id be like. "thats cool"
im not about to judge how random people play in anyway.. but wtf do i know..
opinions are like ***, everyones got one.

That would almost make sense if this hypothetical person hadn't bought an ixion cloak for nearly 40 times the amount of gil it would cost to pick up an NQ weskit and an NQ demon helm of the AH (which would do more damage).

Being a casual job is an excuse for cheap gear, but it isn't an excuse for just spending gil like a fool. Christ give me the 1.5mil if you are that desperate to get rid of it.
 Seraph.Helixx
Server: Seraph
user: Helixx
By Seraph.Helixx 2009-11-02 08:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

there you go. necro bump and suddenly this topic is alive.
Ixion cloak is bad for BRD WHM BLM. Period. Osode, Genie, Nobels.
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-02 08:55:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
Caitsith.Blurr said:
a lot of people seem to believe that since they themselves would never use something, no one ever should for any reason at all. i personally never would use an ixion cloak on blm either, but im not gonna be a presumptuous piece of crap and say, if your not going to use the best, you better stop playing the job..

i dont know how i can reiterate it any better, but ill try again. everyone plays -differently-.
there might be people that have leveled 75 blm at some point in their career, and only ever use it for occasionally soloing on mt. z. if someone told me, "i never use blm other than to solo xp when im bored, i tossed af hat even for inventory 1 and just pretty much use ixions since i use on sch too", i wouldnt be like "wow you should never play blm again." "wow the only time you should EVER use x is y.."

id be like. "thats cool"
im not about to judge how random people play in anyway.. but wtf do i know..
opinions are like ***, everyones got one.

That would almost make sense if this hypothetical person hadn't bought an ixion cloak for nearly 40 times the amount of gil it would cost to pick up an NQ weskit and an NQ demon helm of the AH (which would do more damage).

Being a casual job is an excuse for cheap gear, but it isn't an excuse for just spending gil like a fool. Christ give me the 1.5mil if you are that desperate to get rid of it.

lotta lotta people have tall money guy. quality veteran players all the way down to newer players that are of no use to any group setting..
there was a dude i met not all to long ago in fact that had like 4 jobs in the 50's, and 50m+ in the wallet. who the *** am i to judge him ? or belittle him for having so much money and not doing anything i would do with it ?
no one needs to excuse anything.. any/every one can do whatever they want with theyre games. who the *** is ANY one to judge ?

people from all walks of life are playing, all playing differently. my whole original point was.. yes there are better things to use for blm than ixion cloak in most situations. but i wouldnt completely dismiss it personally.. id even go as far as recommending for ppl in some cases. A. 5 mag acc is comparable to 6 elemental skill B. 13 int is comparable to basically any/all body and head combinations, and C. refresh/regen. if you have a cloak, and arent a hella serious blm, its a fine alternative.
its not the best you can be using, and i never would myself anyway, but i can imagine reasons for having/using one.
its just shitty as hell that people are trying to say, "since i would never use one, no one ever should"

i could cite a million different equipment combinations for a million different job combinations for a million different situations based solely on the vast differences in which people play ffxi.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-11-02 09:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know what the hell I was talking about earlier. Maybe it's because I'm half asleep at the moment.

No reason not to use Sha'ir or Yigit. If you want to hit your March tier, macro to Minstrel's Midcast. Ditto for debuffs: Switch to your Chr+10 piece midcast (whether that is a KO, Errant or Af+1 Body).

@ Helixx: Hadean Body > KO for debuffs (I think that's the current opinion)

@ Argettio: You got rated up for quoting kaekko ^^
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-02 09:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

In a thread about which is better piece X or piece Y you will get answers to that question.

If you choose to ignore it, then that's fine. I am not going to call some one out at mount Z for using the wrong gear, but if they ask I will give the answer.

Congrats to those with loads of money, unfortunately I am not one of them (I spend it all), and if they want to buy epeen items then again that's fine. But again if they ask me what I think of their gear I will give the answer.

My argument is for most people who aren't a serious BLM won't be willing to spend 1.5mil on 1 item, even if it could be used as a full time piece. And if you are serious about BLM you wouldn't wear it as you are a serious BLM and therefore care about your damage or resist rate.

So if you want it, then buy it and wear it. But don't try and persuade me it is worth it.
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-02 09:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
In a thread about which is better piece X or piece Y you will get answers to that question.

If you choose to ignore it, then that's fine. I am not going to call some one out at mount Z for using the wrong gear, but if they ask I will give the answer.

Congrats to those with loads of money, unfortunately I am not one of them (I spend it all), and if they want to buy epeen items then again that's fine. But again if they ask me what I think of their gear I will give the answer.

My argument is for most people who aren't a serious BLM won't be willing to spend 1.5mil on 1 item, even if it could be used as a full time piece. And if you are serious about BLM you wouldn't wear it as you are a serious BLM and therefore care about your damage or resist rate.

So if you want it, then buy it and wear it. But don't try and persuade me it is worth it.

its not worth it to me either, and id most likely never even own one. maybe for sch someday idk, but i personally have no use for one anytime soon. all i was ever trying to say was that its an alternative, and not a bad one for some cases in my opinion.. just definitely not something i would ever try to say is a piece "no blah blah should ever use for yaddy yadda, EVER." examples of best's had already been given and i was just trying to defend a piece/rationale that i knew everyone would try to minuscule.
 Seraph.Helixx
Server: Seraph
user: Helixx
By Seraph.Helixx 2009-11-02 09:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said:

This. Yes its #1, but try getting it <.<. Like Osode back when sky was released
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-11-02 10:02:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Agreed.
Stupid Odin.
Until I get mine, Errant all the way!
Had to sell KO to get Sha'ir >.>
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-11-02 10:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

BLM pros~
2/2 on Ixion drops, and save 1 inventory spot in favor of using Errant body/hat for Stoneskin use. (Pricey Alternative).

Cons:
Refresh = Black Cloak.

Regen = Sorcerer's Ring = No thanks.

Magic Acc = Weskit + Relic/Elite +1.

Damage = Weskit + Demon Helm +1.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [71 days between previous and next post]
 Midgardsormr.Marist
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Marist
By Midgardsormr.Marist 2010-01-12 17:55:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Debuff in Shadow Coat + AFv2 hat... makes me all awesome and stuff :3
 Cerberus.Jogiyat
Server: Cerberus
user: Jogikat
By Cerberus.Jogiyat 2010-01-26 05:13:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said:

^^

Thumbs up on pointing this out!

Cerberus.Jogiyat
user: Jogikat
By Cerberus.Jogiyat 2010-01-26 05:14:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Marist said:
Debuff in Shadow Coat AFv2 hat... makes me all awesome and stuff :3

Shadow + Marduk is sexier, but I suppose its all dependent on what your other slots look like.

Ninja edit: Oracle's Robe is a nice alternative to KO as well for BRDs.
 Asura.Shamaya
Server: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-01-26 06:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Only good for brd, I suppose, if you care that much about having autorefresh on for the short time that you're debuffing. Otherwise...
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-01-26 16:51:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Jogiyat said:
Midgardsormr.Marist said:
Debuff in Shadow Coat AFv2 hat... makes me all awesome and stuff :3

Shadow Marduk is sexier, but I suppose its all dependent on what your other slots look like.

Since this is a necro I feel compelled to say that if you're using a shadow body, I think that relic hat +1 would beat marduk head & nq relic for the chr boost.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2010-01-26 17:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Ixion cloak for BE, am I wrong? I dont have af2 head or af1 +1.Using Demon helm +1 to replace my lack of af2 head + minstrel coat.I'm noob brd.But I though that the +13 chr & magic acc +5 was good.Wondering if I am terribly wrong lol.I have sha'ir manteel ;x but I use it for all songs beside BE/march.Nice body ;x.

for blm, I use genie weskit to nuke but i lack of nashira manteel, so I use cloak for drain/aspir.
For whm, I found noble tunic more usefull.

I use it for sch/rdm/brd for the refresh.Can be a sexy piece for sch ;x
 Ifrit.Jurai
Server: Ifrit
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-01-26 17:54:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Just happend to see this up on the top so figure I'd chip in since then.. recently bought the cloak to mess around with.

Using full time on Bard (except for March(actually haven't even been switching for March.. been lazy -.-) or zerg where need to cast fast as possible) and I think it is really nice.. I enjoy the refresh and regen is a plus. I don't seem to miss the -10% casting on Yigit body and any hat I have to go along with that didn't really do anything anyway (for buffing).

For debuff I still use Af2 Hat/Af1+1 body.

Also, I've been using it for Stoneskin.. Errant/Goli would be more MND but didn't have Errant body because I rest in full Yigit.

Tried it for Repose but couldn't tell any difference between it and Nash/Goli Hat (or Elite Beret/Af1+1 Hat etc)..

The Regen doesn't bother me on BLM because usually have to reactivate my latent anyway because of resting/someone healing me/drain..

Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-01-26 18:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

QuoteButtonBrokenAgain said:
Just happend to see this up on the top so figure I'd chip in since then.. recently bought the cloak to mess around with.

Using full time on Bard (except for March(actually haven't even been switching for March.. been lazy -.-) or zerg where need to cast fast as possible) and I think it is really nice.. I enjoy the refresh and regen is a plus. I don't seem to miss the -10% casting on Yigit body and any hat I have to go along with that didn't really do anything anyway (for buffing).

For debuff I still use Af2 Hat/Af1+1 body.

Also, I've been using it for Stoneskin.. Errant/Goli would be more MND but didn't have Errant body because I rest in full Yigit.

Tried it for Repose but couldn't tell any difference between it and Nash/Goli Hat (or Elite Beret/Af1+1 Hat etc)..

The Regen doesn't bother me on BLM because usually have to reactivate my latent anyway because of resting/someone healing me/drain..

How much did you pay for your Ixion Cloak? On Garuda they are currently 1.5m. Back when you first posted this thread they were roughly 3m. Now let's compare that to Vermillion, which is currently 300k on Garuda. Around back then they were about 500k.

So you're spending quite a significant amount of gil on that autorefresh... because statistically, there are better combos for every other use you described.

Whilst I'm not one to judge people on the choices they make about their gear, I have to agree with Argettio on this one. That seems like a really uneconomic use of gil, which I would happily accept if you're keen to get rid of it.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-01-26 18:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Jurai said:
Wondering if this is a better debuff item or not than what is normally used? Ixion offers CHR 13 and MACC 5 Errant (or Osode) offers 10 CHR AF2 hat offers CHR 5 making a total of 15 Demon Helm 1 would be 16 CHR What I'm wondering is that Singing 5 on AF2 hat.. since Wind/Singing are sorta tied together.. is that 5 really only giving me sort of half? What exactly does Singing/Wind have to do with debuffing and sleep? I've always thought Skill was the way to go. I'm guess it's not better than MACC 5 on Ixion but.. BRD doesn't get resist much anyway? I'm not considering the Refresh/Regen because I'm looking at what is best for bebuff. My brd has been pretty gimp in terms of CHR or Skill for a very long time and I've never had much problems at all.. so wonder what the more advanced BRDs would suggest. And of course change back to skill items for buffing. -- Also, what are some other options for using this on my BLM and WHM?

Singing effects the effect of buffs like carol. Thats all. Debuffing is your instrument skill department. I.e. if you do KS99 wyrm you want to reach your singing skill cap if you haven't already, and supliment gear because fire carol is effected by the singing skill and the instrument you use, so get the +2 one and bam max carol fire resist buff. Singing wont make your party buffs like attack and acc better only meriting will and instruments designed for those songs. Anyways not trying to lecture on bard I always thought Ixion cloak was a nice piece for a bard that had max/merited skills and owned an Alkulrops staff.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-26 18:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Correction: Singing and Wind/Stringed skills affect every buff song except Ballad and Paeon.

That being said, I'll take a shot at this without getting everything wrong like Kaioshin.

In general, BRD songs work the same way as any other enfeebles. CHR, skill, and M.ACC+ all affect the accuracy of the enfeeble, with CHR averaging about 1:1 as far as CHR:ACC goes, until you get to the point where your CHR is 10 higher than the target's (Which won't happen often on HNMs), then after that it's only +.5.

M.ACC+1 is as we all know it. +1 ACC, or +.5% hit rate.

Skill is highly diminished on BRD. Their high base skill causes another potency-lowering effect like all other skills get at 200. BRD seems to get another (I'm not exactly sure on this but it's something like 400-450 skill) at which point 1 skill drops to .5 ACC. If you're 75 and capped, you'll always hit the third tier.

1 CHR = 1 M.ACC = .5 skill.

This will put Ixion Cloak at 18 ACC and the Errant/Osode+Bard's Roundlet combo gives 17.5 ACC, so it's a difference of .5 ACC, or .25% hit rate. Essentially a worthless upgrade but if you have the Cloak, by all means, use it.

And don't use Ixion Cloak on any job other than BRD. It's just not going to beat any other option the other jobs get (Noble's/Aristrocrat's for WHM, Black Cloak Refresh or Igqira/Genie Weskit for BLM, AF body+relic hat for RDM, etc etc).
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-01-26 19:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
Singing effects the effect of buffs like carol. Thats all. Debuffing is your instrument skill department. I.e. if you do KS99 wyrm you want to reach your singing skill cap if you haven't already, and supliment gear because fire carol is effected by the singing skill and the instrument you use, so get the 2 one and bam max carol fire resist buff. Singing wont make your party buffs like attack and acc better only meriting will and instruments designed for those songs.

Yeah... that's entirely wrong.

@ Enternius, I thought if you were not above the 10Chr difference, 1 Chr = 1MAcc = 0.9 skill... or maybe even the other way around with 1 skill = 0.9 Macc, Can't remember. At any rate, 1 Chr = 0.5 Skill seems to undervalue skill a little.
Not sure there's any definitive testing on Bard Enfeeble values like there is with Blm/Rdm though unfortunately.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-26 19:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You can check Wiki. If your dCHR (dINT or dMND also) are +10, then the returns are halved. To quote Wiki on calculating magic damage:

Let dINT be (Caster's INT - Target's INT).
For dINT < 0: D = V + dINT (when dINT is a penalty, the tier mult. is always 1)
For dINT > 0, but less than some inflection point: D = V + (dINT * M)
For dINT > 0, but after some inflection point: D = V + (const + (dINT-const) * M / 2))
(above some critical value, adding INT/MND becomes half as effective)

The 0.9 you're thinking of is for skill. After 200 skill, adding +1 skill gives +0.9 ACC, but after 400-450ish, adding +1 skill gives +0.5.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-01-26 20:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said:
Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
Singing effects the effect of buffs like carol. Thats all. Debuffing is your instrument skill department. I.e. if you do KS99 wyrm you want to reach your singing skill cap if you haven't already, and supliment gear because fire carol is effected by the singing skill and the instrument you use, so get the 2 one and bam max carol fire resist buff. Singing wont make your party buffs like attack and acc better only meriting will and instruments designed for those songs.
Yeah... that's entirely wrong. @ Enternius, I thought if you were not above the 10Chr difference, 1 Chr = 1MAcc = 0.9 skill... or maybe even the other way around with 1 skill = 0.9 Macc, Can't remember. At any rate, 1 Chr = 0.5 Skill seems to undervalue skill a little. Not sure there's any definitive testing on Bard Enfeeble values like there is with Blm/Rdm though unfortunately.

Thats fine I could care less for my bard I enjoy ninja and corsair much more. I was just going off of what I thought not copy and pasting the wiki lol.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-01-26 20:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
Bismarck.Altar said:
Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
Yeah... that's entirely wrong. @ Enternius, I thought if you were not above the 10Chr difference, 1 Chr = 1MAcc = 0.9 skill... or maybe even the other way around with 1 skill = 0.9 Macc, Can't remember. At any rate, 1 Chr = 0.5 Skill seems to undervalue skill a little. Not sure there's any definitive testing on Bard Enfeeble values like there is with Blm/Rdm though unfortunately.

Thats fine I could care less for my bard I enjoy ninja and corsair much more. I was just going off of what I thought not copy and pasting the wiki lol.

It's like he was caught masturbating by his parents, lol.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-01-26 20:27:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
Bismarck.Altar said:
Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
It's like he was caught masturbating by his parents, lol.

Lol you know there was half truth to what I said really just elitist bards were like RAWR WE LOVE OUR JOB!
 Ifrit.Jurai
Server: Ifrit
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-01-26 20:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

buttonnowork said:
How much did you pay for your Ixion Cloak? On Garuda they are currently 1.5m. Back when you first posted this thread they were roughly 3m. Now let's compare that to Vermillion, which is currently 300k on Garuda. Around back then they were about 500k.

So you're spending quite a significant amount of gil on that autorefresh... because statistically, there are better combos for every other use you described.

Whilst I'm not one to judge people on the choices they make about their gear, I have to agree with Argettio on this one. That seems like a really uneconomic use of gil, which I would happily accept if you're keen to get rid of it.
Picked it up for 1.3m and Vermy has been steady around 400k. I didn't/don't really have anything else in that price range to buy that is 'worth it'. Just thought of it as Vermy+1.. just a little more convenience..

Price for Ixion has slowly been dropping (last two sold AH for 1.29m with 4 up now and I've seen in bazarr for 1.25m) so trying to sell back now would be even more uneconomic use of more gil -.-
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-01-26 20:35:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I want one for brd i'll get dual use by wearing it on sch for down time ^^
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-01-26 20:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
Lol you know there was half truth to what I said really just elitist bards were like RAWR WE LOVE OUR JOB!

I don't care about that, I just found it amusing and the first thought that came to my head was that. I'm sure we've all been there, lol.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-01-26 20:39:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
I don't care about that, I just found it amusing and the first thought that came to my head was that. I'm sure we've all been there, lol.

silly british ^^
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-01-26 23:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kaioshin said:

Not really. My mains are Pld and War. It's just that a lot of new people read these forums, so if you're going to be saying something as if it's a fact, you should be sure that it actually is.

Quick rule of thumb for brd:
debuff: MAcc > Chr > skill
buff: Instrument bonus > Skill (both singing and instrumental)