[Archive] The Birth Of Mnejing - A Puppetmaster Guide

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » [Archive] The Birth of Mnejing - A Puppetmaster Guide
[Archive] The Birth of Mnejing - A Puppetmaster Guide
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-06-18 14:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Stringing Pummel is ahead of Shijin Spiral, and Shijin Spiral is ahead of Asuran Fists, even with Oatixur.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-18 14:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shijin Spiral has depreciated because its main selling point was an incredibly high WSC(WS mod), which depreciates relative to how high your base damage is. Powerful crit. WS like Stringing Pummel don't suffer in quite the same way, so without having run the numbers, I'd imagine it would remain on top(if it was on top beforehand?)

Edit: Beaten
 Ragnarok.Azryel
Server: Ragnarok
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2013-06-18 14:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Stringing Pummel is ahead of Shijin Spiral, and Shijin Spiral is ahead of Asuran Fists, even with Oatixur.
Leviathan.Kaparu said: »
Shijin Spiral has depreciated because its main selling point was an incredibly high WSC(WS mod), which depreciates relative to how high your base damage is. Powerful crit. WS like Stringing Pummel don't suffer in quite the same way, so without having run the numbers, I'd imagine it would remain on top(if it was on top beforehand?)

Edit: Beaten
So the common consensus is to keep rockin' the Pummel... Understood.

Because of Stringing Pummel's already high base number of hits I've kind of steered clear of multi-attack gear for more STR/ATT options as PUP isn't really known for being a physical powerhouse.

My current build:
ItemSet 270441
I'm open to suggestions.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-06-18 14:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I've addressed this before. You don't remove multi-attack simply because it's a 6-hit WS. You remove multi-attack because there is a better option than multi-attack.

The build, however, will depend on your target (Read: whether you need accuracy or not).

For non-evasive targets:

Head: R15 Manibozho
Body: Matanca > Omodaka
Rings: Spiral + Epona's
Earrings: Brutal + Moonshade
Feet: Rank 15 Manibozho > Omodaka

As far as PUP not being a Physical powerhouse, that's more of a misunderstanding than anything.
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-06-20 11:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Is Barrage Turbine worth using with Sharpshot Frame? Dunno if it would decrease or increase damage output from losing Wind Maneuvers for a short period.
 Quetzalcoatl.Skeith
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: sukeisu
By Quetzalcoatl.Skeith 2013-06-20 11:59:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Llewelyn said: »
Is Barrage Turbine worth using with Sharpshot Frame? Dunno if it would decrease or increase damage output from losing Wind Maneuvers for a short period.

Barrage Turbine is on a 3 minute timer, if I recall correctly. The damage is equatable to an average DD weapon skill, so somewhere in the range of 700-1.5k, purely dependent on mobs and various other factors.

I'm not convinced that a spike damage hit every 3 minutes will negatively impact your overall damage to the point where it would be rendered pointless to use it. Purely my opinion, however.

Sylow, thoughts? :P
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-06-20 12:16:04
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are keeping a 3 wind rotation going thats 5 sec delay ratts wiping those winds is a serious delay as it will take 20-30 to put those back up. Also 700-1.3k turbine isnt like an averge DD ws I get 5k averages and 6 7 8k spikes.
 Quetzalcoatl.Skeith
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: sukeisu
By Quetzalcoatl.Skeith 2013-06-20 12:19:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Creaucent said: »
If you are keeping a 3 wind rotation going thats 5 sec delay ratts wiping those winds is a serious delay as it will take 20-30 to put those back up. Also 700-1.3k turbine isnt like an averge DD ws I get 5k averages and 6 7 8k spikes.

Ok ok. Pre-delve average DD, I forget about the ceiling being shattered into small little pieces as to what 'average' is now.
 Bahamut.Darksouls
Server: Bahamut
user: blacksoul
By Bahamut.Darksouls 2013-07-16 01:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
I've addressed this before. You don't remove multi-attack simply because it's a 6-hit WS. You remove multi-attack because there is a better option than multi-attack.

The build, however, will depend on your target (Read: whether you need accuracy or not).

For non-evasive targets:

Head: R15 Manibozho
Body: Matanca > Omodaka
Rings: Spiral + Epona's
Earrings: Brutal + Moonshade
Feet: Rank 15 Manibozho > Omodaka

As far as PUP not being a Physical powerhouse, that's more of a misunderstanding than anything.

Just wondering, is R15 Mani jerkin a better Stringing ws piece vs Omodaka body?
Thank you.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2013-07-18 04:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

In case nobody noticed since last patch (unless it always did and nobody noticed?) Alternator also adds HP/MP.
The values it adds are not fixed and they change according to the body/head combination, similar to Alternator+1 from Einherjar Ampoules.

I'm glad, I was always sad about missing the hp/mp thing from Animator+1.

Now the only thing missing from the other inferior alternators are the hidden DEX+ bonuses for the master. Not that it really matters lol, just saying
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2013-07-18 04:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Imho it is worth, especially if you can timely stack Wind Maneuvers in-between fights.

This reminds me that I'd love an addon that keeps track of Automaton cooldowns :'(
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-07-18 04:16:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Barrage Turbine is worthless unless every time your puppet uses it it gets the killshot with it.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2013-07-18 04:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would getting the killshot make a difference? Please help me understand.

I find it somehow useful in situations where there is a pause between fights.
In those situations it can be efficient imho, altough I admit there are times where it's annoying because it consumes the wind maneuver and that *** up the WS which gets used right after, which becoemes Daze instead of AP.
But this mostly happens because I don't have a reliable on-screen way of efficiently tracking the exact cooldown of the JA.
 Cerberus.Balloon
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Balloon 2013-07-18 04:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Imho it is worth, especially if you can timely stack Wind Maneuvers in-between fights.

This reminds me that I'd love an addon that keeps track of Automaton cooldowns :'(

One is in production by Nitroustaru I believe, it'll also allow you to instantly change your automatons attachments and track burden. I'm not sure the progress on it, but it will require a new hook and luacore to be pushed.

If you don't get a killshot with it you're removing anywhere between 20 and 25% haste from your automaton and reducing the speed at which it can shoot with Drum Magazine. If you're reapplying wind maneuvers while fighting you're destroying your dps.

That small bit of damage (which doesn't even add that much tp does it?) isn't worth it.

Getting the killshot with it would be the only time it would be appropriate to reapply wind maneuvers. You're crushing your dps without them, and risking Daze or Arcuballista if you put a fire or thunder up.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2013-07-18 04:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh Turbo Charger.
I don't have it, sold the last one I got for like 6 mils or something lol
Well I guess it does make a lot of sense from this perspective.
Doesn't add a lot of TP yeah, the damage in itself is not bad at all, it's mostly the 3 minutes cooldown (i.e. Damage over Time) that's awful.

And awesome news about that addon! Can't wait :D
 Cerberus.Balloon
By Cerberus.Balloon 2013-07-18 04:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

You might see an increase in supply soon, attachments can drop from Floats in gardens.

It's a really good attachment to have, if you have some good friends the bcnm is not too difficult to spam now.

It really irks me they haven't made those attachments drop from anywhere else. I'm lucky in that I got them at 75.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2013-07-18 04:45:28
Link | Quote | Reply

We used to do the BCNMs regularly, #2 and #3, three of us, sometimes two dualboxing the third. But they aren't playing anymore atm so well... yeah
We got several attachments and sold them all except Optic Fiber I think.
They still sell for such HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE prices it wasn't really worth it.
Ideally I'd want them all because I'm a packrat, but gil is gil hey!

Ashu Talif addons could drop from goblin reward too, but didn't see the price go down at all. Chances were just too low.
Let's see if floatsam makes it better ;)

Which ones are still considered useful these days? I don't see much use with Tranquilizer atm, for instance, whereas it used to be nice many years ago.
Condenser could have been good back then in the days of Ice Maker spam, but with all the no-overload gear we get now (and the new heatsink) I don't really see much use with that either.
Dynamo? Uh... I dunno, Valoredge maybe? Sounds like there are better things to put in your slots to increase damage.
Economizer could be an alternative to other options if you don't want/can't use ADD, but I don't know the cooldown on this.

At the end of the day it seems like Turbo Charger and Optic Fiber are the ones who are still really useful today.
Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-07-18 04:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Why would getting the killshot make a difference? Please help me understand.

I find it somehow useful in situations where there is a pause between fights.
In those situations it can be efficient imho, altough I admit there are times where it's annoying because it consumes the wind maneuver and that *** up the WS which gets used right after, which becoemes Daze instead of AP.
But this mostly happens because I don't have a reliable on-screen way of efficiently tracking the exact cooldown of the JA.

Wind maneuvers are giving the puppet up to 25% haste and about 73% delay reduction on shooting. When it eats them up for a moderate damage ability, it's going back to 18 seconds per shot (instead of 5) and a much lower haste base. You're not using maneuvers while engaged, right? So, it's stuck in gimp mode until you disengage again. Barrage Turbine also doesn't give all that much TP compared to shooting (it give return like a WS, one hit's worth + 1 tp/additional hit I think).

In the 20 seconds it would take you to reapply maneuvers if you decided you wanted to, Sharpshot with 3 wind maneuvers fires 4 times ( it would fire 1-2 times with 0-2 manuevers up).

Those faster shots are also getting full TP return instead of the gimp-*** TP return from barrage turbine.
[+]
 Sylph.Traxus
Server: Sylph
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2013-07-18 09:01:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure if it's related to one of the recent emergency maints, or some property of a wind attachment, but I started having some weird stuff happen with armor shatterer yesterday. Normally I only use turbo charger + drum magazine for wind parts, since auto racc and evasion seems to easily cap on most things with the advent of alternator. I've been playing a lot of pup since SoA, and armor shatterer has always hit for extremely consistent damage when it doesn't miss. I've been doing tons marjime (sp?) ravine reives since they came out, and AS always hit the birds there for 4-5k.

Yesterday I decided to drop drum magazine, and try accelerator II + scope, since it seemed like his racc wasn't quite capped on the big pink birds, and his evasion wasn't capped on any of them. I started occasionally hitting 800-1k armor shatterers once in a while, on several types of birds in the reives, and I've never seen anything like that ever since unlocking the WS. Is this some property related to accelerator II/scope/drum magazine? Or did something break in the last update?
By Presidentmerman 2013-07-18 09:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe those pink birds get increased eva after a "ws" which why it varies so much on them.
 Sylph.Traxus
By Sylph.Traxus 2013-07-18 09:44:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not really concerned with them dodging the ws, more with why AS is occasionally hitting for about 20% of normal damage where I've never once seen it happen before yesterday. It is not exclusive to the pink birds.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-07-18 09:45:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The newly added areas have mobs that have higher evasion than the delve fodder mobs it seems. I have a ton of acc on my blu and went to yorcia and needed double mads to hit a low evasion check >.>. So on pup I am sure I am back to scope sans drum...
By Presidentmerman 2013-07-18 09:45:57
Link | Quote | Reply

AS always has done that regardless.
 Sylph.Traxus
By Sylph.Traxus 2013-07-18 09:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Presidentmerman said: »
AS always has done that regardless.

And like I said, I've been playing pup ALOT since SoA, and I've never seen it even once before yesterday, where I saw it happen around 6 times. AS has always hit for full damage, or not at all.

Is this behavior exclusive to scope? Like does it give some kind of ranged attack zanshin? That's the only explanation I can think of that makes any sense, if it's not a bug.

EDIT: Or drum magazine is otherwise preventing this behavior.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-07-18 10:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

No, Armor shatterer can randomly hit for low damage. It's somehow calculated in multiple hits (as are normal /ra) but how the mechanic works I can't figure out.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/38369/automaton-research-thread/6/#2353063
 Sylph.Traxus
By Sylph.Traxus 2013-07-18 10:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you seen this happen with drum magazine equipped but not scope?
 Cerberus.Taint
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-07-18 10:33:02
Link | Quote | Reply

So what should I be TPing in?
Go all out DD like MNK or use more of a hybrid??

ItemSet 308338
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2013-07-18 10:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Traxus said: »
Have you seen this happen with drum magazine equipped but not scope?

I mostly stopped using the scope after getting Alternator and nearly always have Drum Magazine equipped, and I have also seen some random low Armor Shatterers. I also used to notice some randomly low WS before Armor Shatterer was released.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-07-18 11:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Taint said: »
So what should I be TPing in?
Go all out DD like MNK or use more of a hybrid??

ItemSet 308338
That is the basic idea. For most things pup wants to hit though you dpn't need acc and Rancorous mantle technically wins if you arrn't worried about damage. Also, Rajas.
By Presidentmerman 2013-07-18 14:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Does that neck really out preform Cirque neck or is it situational on buffs?