[Archive] The Birth Of Mnejing - A Puppetmaster Guide

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » [Archive] The Birth of Mnejing - A Puppetmaster Guide
[Archive] The Birth of Mnejing - A Puppetmaster Guide
First Page 2 3 4 5
By sorge74 2013-06-06 19:27:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Question to master puppet Mas...... PUPs.

I just spent 1.5 million on optic fiber, its worth it right? Wasn't sure by what I read it does. I assume its great only because it is light and fits nicely with any build for minor boost?

How long are skill ups going to take really? I'm 380 magic, 270 ranger and 250 melee. I'm hoping once I hit a bit higher skill I can semi AFK on new zone T monster... with altinator I kill the correct lvl mobs too fast and if I take it off my puppet isn't invincible. Any great monsters to grind this on besides seal farming?
 Ragnarok.Flanteus
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Flanteus
By Ragnarok.Flanteus 2013-06-06 20:50:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Augmented relics +2, do I have to keep them equipped or just before activate to take effect? i.e. (Enhances 'Optimization' effect).
By Enuyasha 2013-06-06 20:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Flanteus said: »
Augmented relics +2, do I have to keep them equipped or just before activate to take effect? i.e. (Enhances 'Optimization' effect).
sure with the trait ones they have to be equipped
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-06 20:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Flanteus said: »

Optimization is a Job Trait so you have to wear it for as long as you want the bonus active.
By Puppetmaster 2013-06-07 01:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Contriver's Cape is also a decent idle piece (pair's nicely with pantin taj+2)/evasion/MDB piece

I'd also say Guignol Earring is really good to have, and very easy to get from Ob, which can be easily soloed by PUP
By Lariae 2013-06-07 09:38:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless something has changed.. I remember Ob one shotting my puppetmaster with Shell V on. I don't think he is "Easily" soloable. You might get lucky and solo him if he doesnt use magic mortar.. But definately not easy.
 Cerberus.Balloon
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Balloon 2013-06-07 09:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You shouldn't only be fighting Ob in one mode, not the red mage one. I think it's the RNG one.
By Lariae 2013-06-07 09:44:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah that was the problem.. For whatever reason I couldn't get him to change modes, so he was just stuck in harlequin. Never could figure that out so i just brought another person to eat the mortar. lol..

It had something to do with maneuvars i know, and at the time i knew what i was supposed to do but it didn't seem to work.
 Fenrir.Luckycharmss
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Luckycharmss 2013-06-07 09:46:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry everyone in the process of moving to bigger house will start back up when i get back
By nokioki 2013-06-07 10:08:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lariae said: »
Ah that was the problem.. For whatever reason I couldn't get him to change modes, so he was just stuck in harlequin. Never could figure that out so i just brought another person to eat the mortar. lol..

It had something to do with maneuvars i know, and at the time i knew what i was supposed to do but it didn't seem to work.
I've been doing him BLU/PUP with 3 wind man set before I pop him, he changes to ranger frame instantly, I then dismiss my automaton. I'm not sure how you'd be able to do it as pup main using only wind and thunder maneuvers - I'm sure it can be done, my PUP is only 71 so haven't had a chance to solo on PUP yet. :D
By Lariae 2013-06-07 10:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I was doing it as Thf/pup.. And the guide said to put down two of the same maneuvar (since sub) to change Ob's job, but it didnt seem to work.. I didnt bother trying three since i figured i'd overload lol.
 Cerberus.Diabolique
user: Uchitoru
By Cerberus.Diabolique 2013-06-07 10:23:21
Link | Quote | Reply

With two wind up at pop, I never saw Ob change to Sharpshot right away for some reason. Always around two minutes in before his dance and change. Like damn near everything else, he's a pretty pathetic kill(you don't need to be there) with alternator. Does hit surprisingly hard when he actually connects, some hits around 200ish.

Took me 12~ kills to get Guignol with Th2 on all. Zeni is stupid easy to get at this point at least.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-06-07 10:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Ob was like a 30 second fight for me.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-06-10 10:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have a recommended high high acc set? Best back piece is it the woe one with only +6?
 Siren.Vanian
Server: Siren
By Siren.Vanian 2013-06-11 12:03:37
Link | Quote | Reply

For Max acc, I have:
Rigor(acc path) obviously
Nemetona/Ziel/Bladeborn/Steelflash
Thaumas/Thurandaut/Mars/Epona's
Karagoz/Twilight/Thaumas/Cirque+2

Gives 89 acc before Rigors, +24 dex, and caps haste
By kenshynofshiva 2013-06-11 12:36:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Vanian said: »
na
Siren.Vanian said: »
For Max acc, I have:
Rigor(acc path) obviously
Nemetona/Ziel/Bladeborn/Steelflash
Thaumas/Thurandaut/Mars/Epona's
Karagoz/Twilight/Thaumas/Cirque+2

Gives 89 acc before Rigors, +24 dex, and caps haste

cool thanks damn I should have got that mars ring ><;;..
 Carbuncle.Sanders
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sanders
By Carbuncle.Sanders 2013-06-11 13:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lariae said: »

Killed about 30+ times the other day. Popping with one thunder up, he changed to SS once I threw up the wind maneuver without fail. He cannot touch an Alternator Sharpshot. Just sit back and watch him eat ***.
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-06-13 23:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the recommended merits for PUP? Right now I have 5 Ranged, 5 Optimization, 1 Role Reversal, 1 Ventriloquy. Not sure what to do for the rest.
 Quetzalcoatl.Skeith
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: sukeisu
By Quetzalcoatl.Skeith 2013-06-14 11:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Llewelyn said: »
What's the recommended merits for PUP? Right now I have 5 Ranged, 5 Optimization, 1 Role Reversal, 1 Ventriloquy. Not sure what to do for the rest.

I personally dropped Ventriloquy and went 4/5 Fine Tuning.
 Bismarck.Zagen
Server: Bismarck
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2013-06-14 12:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess recommended would depend on how you play PUP in many cases. I currently have:
Group 1:
Melee/Range: 5/5
Group 2:
Role Reversal: 1/5
Ventriloquy: 1/5
Fine-Tuning: 3/5
Optimization: 5/5

As to why I have these:
When I use the mage frames I don't see much of resists from the enfeebles cast so I didn't see the point in meriting magic skill when melee and ranged both would increase the damage my auto does.

I opted for Role Reversal for a few reasons:
- It reduces the strain on repair recast when I'm just watching the puppet fight, and I'm sitting in a decent amount of regen gear so my HP slowly grows back.
- When I'm tanking I have also found this to be useful to "steal" my pet's HP if it decides to cast something besides cure when I really need a cure.
- When I'm fighting with RNG, PLD, BLM frames it comes in handy as an easy/nice pinch cure.

I opted for Ventriloquy because it comes in handy locking hate (usually with a Pummel) onto my puppet when I'm using the RNG or PLD frames so they can tank while I melee along with them. Eventually I'll retake hate but then I have Role Reversal to fall back on if I end up taking too much damage.

I didn't see the point in going beyond 1/5 on either of these based on how I use them and for Fine-Tuning/Optimization I think those are self explanatory.
By Puppetmaster 2013-06-14 12:23:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Role Reversal and Ventriloquy are both extremely useful, there's no reason to not have 1/5 in each of them
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-06-14 14:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Skeith said: »

I kept Ventriloquy because it's useful to force my puppet to tank something when I don't want to tank it. WS + Provoke --> Ventriloquy and the master can be off the radar for a while.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-06-14 14:30:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Cosigned. PUP Snarl is too nifty
By Puppetmaster 2013-06-14 18:11:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to mention it can be a lifesaver if you're dying for some reason, or you get links. Or if you're in a party and you pull hate/ people aren't curing you, with our paper defense and HP things can go ugly fast so you can use ventriloquy to instantly transfer your hate and save yourself until you get healed or can use Role Reversal.
By Enuyasha 2013-06-14 19:15:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Role Reversal is also awesome if your pet dies and your activate timer isnt up. Dues ex-> Role Reversal -> deactivate (assuming you hit 100% HP)-> Activate is now ready.
 Cerberus.Myzur
user: Myzur
By Cerberus.Myzur 2013-06-15 15:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Activate does not set the burden to minimum value, it sets it to ~50% burden rate.

Directly after summoning using Light Maneuver you get about 2 in before overloading but the overload decays faster. It takes roughly 25 seconds to decay full burden without any gear added.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-06-15 15:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not accurate.
 Quetzalcoatl.Skeith
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: sukeisu
By Quetzalcoatl.Skeith 2013-06-18 13:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Skeith said: »

I kept Ventriloquy because it's useful to force my puppet to tank something when I don't want to tank it. WS + Provoke --> Ventriloquy and the master can be off the radar for a while.

I may reconsider this as an option, now that Valoredge can actually perform properly as a long-term tank. For now I have no use for it, since I rarely solo, and my duo partner is top tier.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-06-18 13:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Indeed, duoing Marduk plans for my friend's WHM we were able to effortlesly kill both Cerberus bosses in Bhaflau Remnants as SCH + PUP with Valoredge tanking. Just be sure to equip Strobe/Eraser/Disruptor.

With me on the HQ boss, it would usually be an MP drain on the SCH to keep me alive and keep magic damage up once Acheron Flame started up. But with just the automaton engaged, SCH is free to nuke constantly so the fight goes much faster.
 Ragnarok.Azryel
Server: Ragnarok
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2013-06-18 14:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering if anyone has crunched the numbers between Asuran Fists and Stringing Pummel while using oatixur? I've heard that Asuran Fists with those H2H is comparable to Shijin Spiral damage, but I was wondering how it would stack up over time vs. Stringing Pummel? I do not have Shijin Spiral merited at the moment, and I don't get to play PUP as often as I'd like these days to do any real testing for myself.

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks.