Samurai: 5-Hit Polearm, 17% Haste
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-27 14:08:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
5 hit builds for Pole and Gkt are different. 6 hit is the ideal for Gkt because of 450 delay, but Pole's like Tomoe are 480 and you are spamming a 5 hit WS, which makes 5 hit the target.

Using my normal 6 hit build from GKT, I achieve 5 hit with my Tomoe.
Sorry, figured it was assumed that this was about polearms considering the thread. For reference, it should be obvious to anyone that 5-hit GK builds are half-impossible and incredibly impractical unless for some reason you're getting sam roll and just happen to get relatively close enough so that swapping in Hachi hands or something similar isn't too detrimental.

The point I was trying to make was that while 6-hit is really easy to make with GK with standard gear and rajas, a 5-hit on polearm without usukane feet and rajas is probably not going to perform practically. Without these, you're looking at Askar and for TP that's practically taboo for both GK and Pole. If for some reason your 6-hit GK build equals out to a 5-hit Pole build, you've got some extra baggage on GK that could probably be subtracted out for something better.

Anyhow, I'd say Argettio's build is the most applicable for the majority. Small tweaks can be made from person to person, but the bolded pieces are key because you want to be able to swap out the majority for WS like he said anyway.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-27 14:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Caiyuo said:
Frobeus said:
5 hit builds for Pole and Gkt are different. 6 hit is the ideal for Gkt because of 450 delay, but Pole's like Tomoe are 480 and you are spamming a 5 hit WS, which makes 5 hit the target.

Using my normal 6 hit build from GKT, I achieve 5 hit with my Tomoe.
Sorry, figured it was assumed that this was about polearms considering the thread. For reference, it should be obvious to anyone that 5-hit GK builds are half-impossible and incredibly impractical unless for some reason you're getting sam roll and just happen to get relatively close enough so that swapping in Hachi hands or something similar isn't too detrimental.

The point I was trying to make was that while 6-hit is really easy to make with GK with standard gear and rajas, a 5-hit on polearm without usukane feet and rajas is probably not going to perform practically. Without these, you're looking at Askar and for TP that's practically taboo for both GK and Pole. If for some reason your 6-hit GK build equals out to a 5-hit Pole build, you've got some extra baggage on GK that could probably be subtracted out for something better.

GKT 6 hit - Stp pieces I use Brutal +1 / Hachi hands +8 / Rajas +5
This lets me WS in w/e hand piece I want and maintain 6 hit through the tp process off a 1 hit WS.

Same pieces on pole let me 5 hit due to a 5 hit WS. I penta in +6 stp (rajas,brutal)
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-27 14:40:27
Link | Quote | Reply

With 480 delay and +6STP you're looking at a base of 18.3 for WS, with 1-4+ depending on hits landed. Supposing you get all 5 for 22.3TP (or a flat 22, forget if remainder is carried upon added hits) leaving you to makeup 78 between 4 remaining hits. +14STP in TP stage nets 19.3 per hit: 19.3*4 = 77.2 + 22.3 (or 22) = 99.5. I don't think I've made any incorrect calculations here, so between those numbers not even adding up to 100+ and needing to land 5 hits from penta every WS to even come close to making the mark, I'm not sure how credible this is. Unless the whole "eating damage with your face" plan is intended to make up the difference in TP from damage taken, which I can't even buy due to constant sponging sounding practical.

Either way, even with capped accuracy with a polearm (fat chance in most cases) the chance of landing 5/5 on Penta isn't dependable enough to make a build around landing all of the hits. The accuracy gap increases with each consecutive hit, so for 5/5 you're looking at around 60-70% if that, though I don't recall the exact numbers.
 Ifrit.Thunderz
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-05-27 14:42:03
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Think that's why you should pull out pole when you have a brd in pt =/

or you will join the Drks in wiff wiff wiffing
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-27 15:01:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Caiyuo said:
With 480 delay and +6STP you're looking at a base of 18.3 for WS, with 1-4+ depending on hits landed. Supposing you get all 5 for 22.3TP (or a flat 22, forget if remainder is carried upon added hits) leaving you to makeup 78 between 4 remaining hits. +14STP in TP stage nets 19.3 per hit: 19.3*4 = 77.2 + 22.3 (or 22) = 99.5. I don't think I've made any incorrect calculations here, so between those numbers not even adding up to 100+ and needing to land 5 hits from penta every WS to even come close to making the mark, I'm not sure how credible this is. Unless the whole "eating damage with your face" plan is intended to make up the difference in TP from damage taken, which I can't even buy due to constant sponging sounding practical.

Either way, even with capped accuracy with a polearm (fat chance in most cases) the chance of landing 5/5 on Penta isn't dependable enough to make a build around landing all of the hits. The accuracy gap increases with each consecutive hit, so for 5/5 you're looking at around 60-70% if that, though I don't recall the exact numbers.

Now just to be clear here, you are counting 5/5 Stp merits?
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-27 15:12:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:

Now just to be clear here, you are counting 5/5 Stp merits?
Yeppers, without that base of +35STP before gear the numbers would be in the 17-18 region. There's always a chance of mathematical error, especially using a tool like ffxi calc to run the numbers, but everything seems accurate so far.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-27 15:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Then just throw on Hachi feet during Penta, and it should make up any difference. The only way this fails is if you miss the first swing of Penta.
 Shiva.Xellith
Server: Shiva
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2009-05-27 15:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Ihm said:
Frobeus said:
2 Bards or brd/cor is a must for bird xp pts. You don't need more than 3 DD's.

A bird pt w/o 2brd or brd/cor isn't worth going to.

If you only have one brd or cor, then I'd prob just use GKT.

Thats the most HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE thing I've ever heard...

If you're gonna say that, then you might as well say if its not a DRG burn then why fight birds...

That doesn't make sense. Sam only has a B rating in Pole, so it is extremely dependent on Gear and Support. If you lack in either your damage is going to suffer badly.

My Sam can beat 99% of Drg's anyway, so I'm not sure where you got that from.

My DRG can beat 99% of sams. Whats your point? I consistently parse almost a 1/3 more dmg than ANY samurai ive ever partied with on birds - and this was with me main healing as a DRG/BLU. Point is that anyone can beat anyone given the right conditions.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-05-27 15:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread has gotten a little off track.

Erroli, your set up looks decent right now, but as others have said polearm sam is usually used on bird merit pts, where you'll get your food eaten often.

If you really want to pursue the polearm route on sam, I'd highly suggest obtaining a rajas ring, Tomoe, 8/8 polearm merits, brutal, and usukane feet.

Also something to consider is Sam/drg, only mentioning this because I saw Frobeus talking alot about Sam/war. While Sam/war is a good job combo for some people. Sam/drg in the right hands can be truly amazing.

Take a look at Rukenshin's SAM/DRG workup for more info. However, do take heed as Rukenshin warns:
Rukenshin said:
**Important Note: Not everyone will get the same results as me!

'zomg ruke did it it mus b 1337 ima go sam/drg n fk ***up' = NO, BAD.

My playstyle is very aggressive, and my gear/merits are practically maxed out. The average situation I'm in is usually beneficial to this as well. If you're not using TP straight away after breaking 100 most of the time, not using JAs very close to when they're ready, and not used to a Provoke-less and Jumping playstyle or alternating Hasso/Seigan and defense gear, your results will differ! Just because it worked for me, doesn't mean it will for you!

Take time to figure out for yourself whether you like it and can use it right, and which fits most for your preferred playstyle. Otherwise you likely won't get better results than /WAR. In addition this takes a little more focus and effort to play it to the full potential, so for some people this isn't for them. I'm just OCD about pushing out every bit I can lol.

But, even you're not interested in /DRG, my tidbits on gear choices may be beneficial to check out. Hope this all helped! :)

Hope this was some help to you, take care!
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-27 15:45:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Then just throw on Hachi feet during Penta, and it should make up any difference. The only way this fails is if you miss the first swing of Penta.
That only changes the 22.3 to a 22.9 and makes your per hit goal 19.2 instead of 19.3. If you miss even a single hit on Penta, not counting the first hit which kills it altogether, your end goal becomes 19.5 meaning neither your regular build nor the modified build will work anytime a single hit from Penta is missed. Counting on 5/5 Pentas is just impractical for a build based around a sub-grade weapon. ***, even DRGs would be taking a risk in this case with capped acc.

Edit: Just as a note on Blindphleb's sam/drg post, the research on it was done with near perfect sam gear including relic GK and a Wyvern earring. As far as I've seen, there hasn't yet been a strong case for this for anyone without relic. This is definitely for GK and not polearm material, though, just to clarify.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-27 15:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Blindphleb said:

Erroli, your set up looks decent right now, but as others have said polearm sam is usually used on bird merit pts, where you'll get your food eaten often.

If you really want to pursue the polearm route on sam, I'd highly suggest obtaining a rajas ring, Tomoe, 8/8 polearm merits, brutal, and usukane feet.

Also something to consider is Sam/drg, only mentioning this because I saw Frobeus talking alot about Sam/war. While Sam/war is a good job combo for some people. Sam/drg in the right hands can be truly amazing.

Take a look at Rukenshin's SAM/DRG workup for more info. However, do take heed as Rukenshin warns:
Rukenshin said:

My playstyle is very aggressive, and my gear/merits are practically maxed out. The average situation I'm in is usually beneficial to this as well. If you're not using TP straight away after breaking 100 most of the time, not using JAs very close to when they're ready, and not used to a Provoke-less and Jumping playstyle or alternating Hasso/Seigan and defense gear, your results will differ! Just because it worked for me, doesn't mean it will for you!

Take time to figure out for yourself whether you like it and can use it right, and which fits most for your preferred playstyle. Otherwise you likely won't get better results than /WAR. In addition this takes a little more focus and effort to play it to the full potential, so for some people this isn't for them. I'm just OCD about pushing out every bit I can lol.

But, even you're not interested in /DRG, my tidbits on gear choices may be beneficial to check out. Hope this all helped! :)

Ruke is also using Amano.

While Sam/Drg is amazing when used correctly, I'm speaking strictly of pole situations and spamming penta @ birds. Since Penta is so heavily reliant on Att, the natural boost from /war along with Serk its going to be difficult to overcome.
 Asura.Vespera
Server: Asura
By Asura.Vespera 2009-05-27 15:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't it true also that stat modifiers apply only to the first hit, then the rest are like normal additional hits?
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-27 15:49:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Xellith said:
Frobeus said:
Ihm said:
Frobeus said:

Thats the most HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE thing I've ever heard...

If you're gonna say that, then you might as well say if its not a DRG burn then why fight birds...

That doesn't make sense. Sam only has a B rating in Pole, so it is extremely dependent on Gear and Support. If you lack in either your damage is going to suffer badly.

My DRG can beat 99% of sams. Whats your point? I consistently parse almost a 1/3 more dmg than ANY samurai ive ever partied with on birds - and this was with me main healing as a DRG/BLU. Point is that anyone can beat anyone given the right conditions.

You seriously need to pt with some better Sams then.
 Titan.Midou
Server: Titan
user: SaigaX
By Titan.Midou 2009-05-27 16:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Xellith said:
Frobeus said:
Ihm said:
Frobeus said:

You seriously need to pt with some better Sams then.

I'd like to bring to everyones attention DRGS do 1.25 dmg to birds. That is all.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-05-27 16:14:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Midou said:
I'd like to bring to everyones attention DRGS do 1.25 dmg to birds. That is all.

I'd like to bring to your attention, a SAM with a Polearm will do 1.25 (+25%) damage to birds too. That is all.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-05-27 16:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:

While Sam/Drg is amazing when used correctly, I'm speaking strictly of pole situations and spamming penta @ birds. Since Penta is so heavily reliant on Att, the natural boost from /war along with Serk its going to be difficult to overcome.

Penta is also dependent on acc especially if we're talking about an unmerited B- weapon. Even more so if you are relying on hitting 5/5 penta to make your 5 hit polearm build work for you.

Furthermore, the att of /WAR might seem like a big deal on paper but when actually put to the test in the field this is what Rukenshin found:
Rukenshin said:
I was extremely surprised to see the results of this in action, and this is what really made me rethink the utility of DRG as a viable subjob. Originally I was just hoping it would be a nice alternative for a more defensively played version of SAM where I'm playing more conservative and taking less damage, while still dealing near-equal amounts to /WAR. I was certain that the loss of Berserk would throw my melee and WS averages down to much lower values, but this is where I was wrong.

Those tests Rukenshin did used Amano as a constant, from what we know of scientific tests, constants don't have an impact on the outcome of a test. He could have used Hagun on both the SAM/WAR and SAM/DRG tests and the difference between them would have been similar.
 Asura.Vespera
By Asura.Vespera 2009-05-27 16:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Vespera said:
Isn't it true also that stat modifiers apply only to the first hit, then the rest are like normal additional hits?

Bump >.>

Anyone know if this is true or false? I haven't looked into it enough to know for sure.
 Shiva.Xellith
Server: Shiva
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2009-05-27 16:27:16
Link | Quote | Reply

its completely hilarious when you consider your parties saying "samurai is the best" and stuff of that sort.

DRG/BLU
DRG/WHM
DRG/(SAM/WAR)
DRG/(SAM/WAR)
DRG/(SAM/WAR)
BRD/NIN

On colibris i guarantee you that it will beat any party that has a samurai in it since you arnt getting any downtime and are strictly going full attack.

If a samurai says that they can go all out then fine. But can you go all out and not die? go all out and not leech of the healing powers of a dragoon or something?

Whats your prefered setup for your ultimate samurai bird party.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Skiutah
user: Skiutah
By Ragnarok.Skiutah 2009-05-27 16:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Blindphleb said:

Rukenshin said:

Using an Amano would actually help the /WAR results more. A SAM/DRG gets less benefit from a +20 ACC item as they are already closer to the accuracy cap.

Quote:

Penta is dependent on accuracy as much, if not moreso, than attack. Subbing DRG allows a constant +10 accuracy to penta thrusts and tp gain, whereas /WAR adds a marginal increase 3/5's of the time to the hits that do land.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-27 16:28:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Blindphleb said:
Frobeus said:

Penta is also dependent on acc especially if we're talking about an unmerited B- weapon. Even more so if you are relying on hitting 5/5 penta to make your 5 hit polearm build work for you.

Furthermore, the att of /WAR might seem like a big deal on paper but when actually put to the test in the field this is what Rukenshin found:
Rukenshin said:
I was extremely surprised to see the results of this in action, and this is what really made me rethink the utility of DRG as a viable subjob. Originally I was just hoping it would be a nice alternative for a more defensively played version of SAM where I'm playing more conservative and taking less damage, while still dealing near-equal amounts to /WAR. I was certain that the loss of Berserk would throw my melee and WS averages down to much lower values, but this is where I was wrong.

Those tests Rukenshin did used Amano as a constant, from what we know of scientific tests, constants don't have an impact on the outcome of a test. He could have used Hagun on both the SAM/WAR and SAM/DRG tests and the difference between them would have been similar.

I am very aware about the limited impact of Att on WS like Gekko. This is why smi+1 is better than foragers for ex. Gekko and Penta are not the same WS. They are not calculated the same, and anyone can see the difference between serk'd penta's and non serk'd pentas.

Also with top of the line gear and Madrigal your acc on birds should be fine even with B weapon.
 Ragnarok.Skiutah
By Ragnarok.Skiutah 2009-05-27 16:33:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:

Also with top of the line gear and Madrigal your acc on birds should be fine even with B weapon.

So should your attack if you have two BRD's and are eating right.

Hell, if you have two BRD's, the sub jobs wouldn't matter in terms of accuracy and attack since both are likely to be capped.

At that point, /DRG will allow more haste, shed hate, and control your TP gain at will.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2009-05-27 16:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:

omg lol i read this at work and got excited to come home and laugh. the ONLY times we get 2 brds for birds is: 1) theres a gimp brd trying to ding (69-74ish) who we let buff while the other pulls or 2) when we have an awful DD who wants to come merit and we dont wanna gimp our exp.

just yesterday our bard (read: one bard) had to keep putting madrigal on us "to slow you guys down so we dont run out of mobs".

if youre elitest (read : lol) enough to need or demand two bards for every merit party youre taking a brd from another group AND removing your chance to ever learn mob management.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-27 21:49:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ashman said:
Frobeus said:

omg lol i read this at work and got excited to come home and laugh. the ONLY times we get 2 brds for birds is: 1) theres a gimp brd trying to ding (69-74ish) who we let buff while the other pulls or 2) when we have an awful DD who wants to come merit and we dont wanna gimp our exp.

just yesterday our bard (read: one bard) had to keep putting madrigal on us "to slow you guys down so we dont run out of mobs".

if youre elitest (read : lol) enough to need or demand two bards for every merit party youre taking a brd from another group AND removing your chance to ever learn mob management.

I didn't say one bard pts can't be good, just that 2 brd pts are better.

Also, I learned mob management (lol) long before bird camps even existed.

ALSO, I'm glad I don't have to wait till I get home after reading posts to laugh.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-27 21:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Skiutah said:
Frobeus said:

So should your attack if you have two BRD's and are eating right.

Hell, if you have two BRD's, the sub jobs wouldn't matter in terms of accuracy and attack since both are likely to be capped.

At that point, /DRG will allow more haste, shed hate, and control your TP gain at will.

More haste check
Double attck? nope

Shed hate? who cares

Control TP gain? wut
[+]
 Ragnarok.Skiutah
By Ragnarok.Skiutah 2009-05-27 22:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:

More haste check
Double attck? nope

I still have double attack with /DRG.

Quote:
Shed hate? who cares

Me, when I have too much hate for out DDing SAM/WARs.

Quote:
Control TP gain? wut

You can't choose when DA procurs. You can choose when to throw in an extra Jump or High Jump. Self skill chaining is easier with /DRG than /WAR.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Kaster
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Kaster 2009-05-28 08:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Skiutah said:
Frobeus said:

More haste check
Double attck? nope

I still have double attack with /DRG.

Quote:
Shed hate? who cares

Me, when I have too much hate for out DDing SAM/WARs.

Quote:
Control TP gain? wut

You can't choose when DA procurs. You can choose when to throw in an extra Jump or High Jump. Self skill chaining is easier with /DRG than /WAR.

You have more DA as /war.

Why do you care who has hate? the mob should be dead within 30 seconds. If you have to worry about hate then something more is wrong than a subjob.

And we're talking about polearm here... self skillchain?
 Asura.Kyoroku
By Asura.Kyoroku 2009-05-28 09:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Mother of god. I knew there was a reason why I never discuss in-game mechanics on the FFXIAH forums, I felt like I was on Allakhazam for a second - the lack of common knowledge is staggering.

Rated you down, btw.

Ashman said:

User submitted image

Yeah, I'm sure that's what makes people "elitist". Whenever I see that word thrown around, I always know the next few excuses are going to include something in the form of "lol just a game dude" "lol I have a life, so my jobs are gimp and I tp in STR rings and DOMARUUUUUU, that's y u merit str rite?"

Frobeus said:
[+]
 Fairy.Raikan
Server: Fairy
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2009-05-28 09:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea this thread hit all kinds of stupid back on the first page.

Let me add to the idiocy:
I've personally outdamaged DRG's and other SAM's on Colibri's with only my GK!!1! But I'm not going to post parse results because those are private/waste of your time/whatever you just don't need to see them.

Everybody knows the above italicized statement is false. Claims of "I've out DD'd 99% of..." are just as equally false, except when qualified with parse results. If you can put numbers down to back up your claim, nobody can argue with you. Otherwise, you're just another one of those "The fish was thiiiiiiiiiis big!!" And before somebody starts into "Well this thread isn't for parse results... I'm not here to derail topic... yada yada yada" please consider why you even posted with such claims in the first place.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-28 09:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Raikan said:
Yea this thread hit all kinds of stupid back on the first page.

Let me add to the idiocy:
I've personally outdamaged DRG's and other SAM's on Colibri's with only my GK!!1! But I'm not going to post parse results because those are private/waste of your time/whatever you just don't need to see them.

Everybody knows the above italicized statement is false. Claims of "I've out DD'd 99% of..." are just as equally false, except when qualified with parse results. If you can put numbers down to back up your claim, nobody can argue with you. Otherwise, you're just another one of those "The fish was thiiiiiiiiiis big!!" And before somebody starts into "Well this thread isn't for parse results... I'm not here to derail topic... yada yada yada" please consider why you even posted with such claims in the first place.

Kast and Kyo are both right.

And as far as the above post, who the *** claimed they could outparse Drg's on birds with a GKT?
 Asura.Endelig
user: endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-05-28 09:37:43
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a very silly thread you know.
[+]