Mary's Horn
First Page 2 3
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-05-09 12:03:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought I'd start a little thread here and get some opinions from average bards and elitist bards a like. I realize this might invite non bards to drop their two cents as well, feel free to do so. I have compiled all my evidence to prove that Mary's horn just isnt worth the gil unless you camp it or have gil and nothing else to spend it on (like a wind torque).

Now I have heard the following statements about Mary's Horn and I'm here to disprove all my friends (elitist bards) and you if you believe these rediculous claims.

They believe Mary's Horn has a hidden effect of mag acc and/or that mary's horn with its Lullaby+1 means the +1 means it will land more accurately. These claims are both false. Another claim I hear is it's a must have for bard. Here is what I've found to disprove that all. And I remind you its still a good instrument just hate elitists XD.

Lullaby : Two songs give this effect. Foe Lullaby is single-target, while Horde Lullaby has a small Area of Effect and can possibly hit multiple enemies. Lullaby base duration is 30 seconds. Each +1 given from an instrument adds +3 seconds to base duration.

Wind Instruments :Instruments used by a Bard to add effects to fellow party members or a party's enemy. Most of the instruments give boosts to certain songs that can be sung by a bard, which is why it's always great to have the +1 versions of the instruments. Mary's Horn and Piccolo +1 don't boost the songs' effects as much as Nursemaid's Harp and Sorrowful Harp, but the songs land more consistently. Each +1 to a song on an instrument increases its duration by 10%, and also increases its effect. All buff songs have a base duration of 120 seconds, or 2 minutes.

So that being said we come to the conclusion is it the Mary's Horn making your sleep land better?, its the fact its a wind instrument. So do you really need to have a horn to increase sleep by 3 seconds? Up to you, highly situational or if your trying to be the best bard puller then get one by all means. I just wanted to disprove some friends and any elitists out there walking around with the notion this has a hidden effect lol. Bottom line : Always pull with a wind instrument, and stack wind instrument skills, I never have a problem sleeping. Oh CHR always helps too, every 5 chr = 2.5 mag acc remember that kids ^^.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-05-09 12:07:01
Link | Quote | Reply

When your #1 job is to sleep stuff, every second counts. Maybe not that drastic in an exp party, but for endgame ***, that stuff makes a huge, huge difference.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-05-09 12:08:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
When your #1 job is to sleep stuff, every second counts. Maybe not that drastic in an exp party, but for endgame ***, that stuff makes a huge, huge difference.

Oh yea thats understandable but for someone to say "YOU CAN'T LVL PAST 20 without it!" is pretty rediculous right?
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-09 12:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

In terms of making sleep 'land better,' if any bard is having trouble sleeping something then you're right, Mary's Horn will not make that any better. If Lullaby's won't stick, theyre better off using an Iron Ram Horn or a San d'Orian horn. Chr > Lullaby +1 in terms of accuracy.

Is Mary's Horn "must have?"

Nah, not really. It certainly is nice, though. In merits, that extra 3 Seconds is nice, and it's ESPECIALLY nice when you're trying to sleep/logout your aggro. The difference between 30 and 33 seconds really is life saving.

I have a Mary's Horn, and I love it. It was 350k when I bought it and I spent weeks farming to save up for it when I was a wee little level 10 Bard and I refused to go to the Dunes without it. But that makes me a perfectionist, doesn't make it 'must have' by any means. I agree with your post. :)
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-05-09 12:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I don't see it making or breaking a Brd at such low levels, I only say it's 'needed' for like Dyna and stuff.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-09 12:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

YOU CANT LEVEL PAST 20 WITHOUT IT!!!!!11!
[+]
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-05-09 12:12:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
Yeah I don't see it making or breaking a Brd at such low levels, I only say it's 'needed' for like Dyna and stuff.

That or already have fast cast and magic acc gears or stack gobs of CHR but that could prove to be more expensive then the actual horn. All I know is if im down to my last 300k I'm going to buy a Wind Torque over this ANY DAY.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-09 12:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Also how about when you use a song that uses a different type of instrument gasp put gear for that one on..
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-09 12:13:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:

Yeah, to be honest, if I had to do Bard all over again, I would have spent that 350k elsewhere. If you have a chunk of money to spend on a Low-level Bard, spend it on a Monster Signa instead. But once again, the Signa, too, isn't "Must Have" by any means. At those levels, you're not pulling, you're not a very strong crowd control. You're buffing the party and that's about it. Once you get Elegy and Finale, then it's a little more important.
 Caitsith.Surreal
Server: Caitsith
user: Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2009-05-09 12:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

i often wonder what it would be like to have brds in my dynamis...

14 blms... 4-6 rdms... 1 brd?
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-05-09 12:15:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Alijah said:
In terms of making sleep 'land better,' if any bard is having trouble sleeping something then you're right, Mary's Horn will not make that any better. If Lullaby's won't stick, theyre better off using an Iron Ram Horn or a San d'Orian horn. Chr > Lullaby +1 in terms of accuracy.

Is Mary's Horn "must have?"

Nah, not really. It certainly is nice, though. In merits, that extra 3 Seconds is nice, and it's ESPECIALLY nice when you're trying to sleep/logout your aggro. The difference between 30 and 33 seconds really is life saving.

I have a Mary's Horn, and I love it. It was 350k when I bought it and I spent weeks farming to save up for it when I was a wee little level 10 Bard and I refused to go to the Dunes without it. But that makes me a perfectionist, doesn't make it 'must have' by any means. I agree with your post. :)

Thank you waiting to see the flamers come out of hiding to talk ***about something they know nothing about. Glad to see real bards are commenting on this ^^ thank you ^^
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-09 12:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Alijah said:
Haseyo said:

Yeah, to be honest, if I had to do Bard all over again, I would have spent that 350k elsewhere. If you have a chunk of money to spend on a Low-level Bard, spend it on a Monster Signa instead. But once again, the Signa, too, isn't "Must Have" by any means. At those levels, you're not pulling, you're not a very strong crowd control. You're buffing the party and that's about it. Once you get Elegy and Finale, then it's a little more important.

you are pulling as soon as dunes.
"but I dont have shadows or anything and only 70 hp..." "PULL NAO!!!!!"
Life as a bard blows then <.>
[+]
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-09 12:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
Alijah said:
Haseyo said:

you are pulling as soon as dunes.
"but I dont have shadows or anything and only 70 hp..." "PULL NAO!!!!!"
Life as a bard blows then <.>

Well, even if your party is making you pull at those levels (I had to once or twice) you're just pulling to claim. You pull with what, Threnody? And it's not imperative that you 'land' that. All they want is you to claim something. So using a Signa or some cheap dagger, the mob will still turn Red.

I just mean that you won't really be singing anything that needs to land at level 16 so it's not really required to be totally Whitebox.

But yeah, Kaioshin, I too am tired of non-bards commenting on Bard gear. I've showed up to a meripo in a Yigit Gomlek before and been asked why I didn't have a Sha'ir Manteel. I'm like... @.@
 Caitsith.Surreal
Server: Caitsith
user: Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2009-05-09 12:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah really, why dont you have manteel? i mean its only like 4-5m gil... pfff what are you a loser? not spending 5m gil on 2% casting speed and some chr...

/sigh at non bards
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-05-09 12:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Surreal said:
yeah really, why dont you have manteel? i mean its only like 4-5m gil... pfff what are you a loser? not spending 5m gil on 2% casting speed and some chr...

/sigh at non bards

ACP body can be made to fit us bards so well I think. Add fast cast and mag acc and I think it will be enough to make everyone shut up if you dont have a manteel. I have a Kirin's Osode from my NINJA so im good at 75 lol anyone has a problem with Osode on bard can kiss my ***. 30 mp, 10 vit and 10 chr for pulling, yes plz!
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-09 12:42:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaioshin said:
Surreal said:

/sigh at non bards

ACP body can be made to fit us bards so well I think. Add fast cast and mag acc and I think it will be enough to make everyone shut up if you dont have a manteel. I have a Kirin's Osode from my NINJA so im good at 75 lol anyone has a problem with Osode on bard can kiss my ***. 30 mp, 10 vit and 10 chr for pulling, yes plz!

Theres a wonderful essay on my friends blog comparing different body pieces for endgame Bards, it's really helpful. It can be found here.

Osode is great for Bard, the 10 Mnd (for stoneskin) doesn't hurt either! I just used a Gomlek for months until recently when I finally finished my Marduk's Jubbah. It took me almost a year but it was worth the wait. ><; And I still use the Gomlek for party buffs for the Spellcasting down, since Chr does nothing for party buffs, may as well get in and out of AoE as fast as possible.

Gear absolutely doesn't make the Bard, it's all about knowing your job and knowing what to use and when. That's why I go nuts, nuts, nuts when I see someone who levels the job 'just for merits' and then rocks RSE or Full AF with some crap Flute and doesn't even try to learn the job.
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
Server: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2009-05-09 12:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I can agree with what most have posted here, not a "must have" but sure is a "nice to have".
In merit pts you can get by w/o it as most of the time monsters will never be asleep the full duration of lullaby.

I find for instances like dynamis, einherjar or even nyzul floors with loads of enemies or any situation where you will be re-sleeping mobs an extra 3 seconds makes a big difference and is a big help.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-05-09 12:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea nyzul isle most deffinately, for Dynamis it has been said before in other threads but I'll repeat it here, Apollos for Dynamis hands down. No other staff will help with light based spells and enfeebles better in a double darkness zone on dyna mobs.
 Midgardsormr.Darkfire
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Darkfire
By Midgardsormr.Darkfire 2009-05-09 13:15:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Im quite interested in this, for im lv'ing brd atm and just hit 60, and still no mary's horn. Killed my fair share of Mad Sheep an still no luck but i told myself i wouldnt pay 350k for something i could camp in Konschtat...

I havnt *needed* it til now, so i see the point in it not being a "must have" i would however still like it eventually for the few times it would prove useful.

And w/ the Level Sync system, it proves difficult to have capped skill anyway and that is the real perpetrator in failing to land lullaby in exp pt on your way to 75... at least it has been for me, anyways.
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-09 13:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkfire said:
And w/ the Level Sync system, it proves difficult to have capped skill anyway and that is the real perpetrator in failing to land lullaby in exp pt on your way to 75... at least it has been for me, anyways.

If you have Sea access, Goldfish make EXCELLENT skill up partners, since you can cast on them over and over and they won't attack you until you hurt them.

Plop yourself down and spam Threnodies. I capped my skills easily with these guys. :)
 Bahamut.Kelia
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-05-09 14:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

are you the guy who was using nq cornette?

nvm you're not, oh well might as well be, enjoy casting in iron ram horn i guess
 Siren.Bowleteus
Server: Siren
user: bowletinc
By Siren.Bowleteus 2009-05-09 14:31:05
Link | Quote | Reply

All bards should have macro'd in Nursemaid's Harp for AoE ZZ and Mary's Horn for Lullaby. No questions asked. Yes it will make or break a bard. Yes it will save your life numerous of times. Yes it gives you more extra time then you really think.

Yes it has saved my life and my ls from wiping on multiple of occasions, in Dynamis and Einherjar.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2009-05-09 14:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaioshin said:
every 5 chr = 2.5 mag acc

Dumbest part
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-09 14:55:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bowleteus said:
Yes it will save your life numerous of times. Yes it gives you more extra time then you really think.

Yes it has saved my life and my ls from wiping on multiple of occasions, in Dynamis and Einherjar.

While this is true, the way I understood the post was whether the horn affected accuracy, which it doesnt. Just duration length.

At low levels, the horn isnt 'necessary' at all, and if you don't endgame and do just merits then once again, not so necessary.

Endgame career bards, yeah it's definitely needed very nice to have; but for basic merits, or level 20 parties, not so much.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-05-09 15:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

It's far from needed and you won't see a notable difference most of the time. The only thing I'd recommend it for is capped BCs.
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-09 15:11:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn said:
It's far from needed and you won't see a notable difference most of the time. The only thing I'd recommend it for is capped BCs.

Mmkay, yeah. Maybe not 'needed' but it *is* very nice to have in Einherjar. I especially love mine when it saves my *** when I have to sleep/logout in a hurry. Those 3 seconds are a lifesaver sometimes.
 Siren.Bowleteus
Server: Siren
user: bowletinc
By Siren.Bowleteus 2009-05-09 16:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Alijah said:
Bowleteus said:
Yes it will save your life numerous of times. Yes it gives you more extra time then you really think.

While this is true, the way I understood the post was whether the horn affected accuracy, which it doesnt. Just duration length.

At low levels, the horn isnt 'necessary' at all, and if you don't endgame and do just merits then once again, not so necessary.

Endgame career bards, yeah it's definitely needed very nice to have; but for basic merits, or level 20 parties, not so much.

i agree
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-05-10 03:02:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkanaseur said:
Kaioshin said:
every 5 chr = 2.5 mag acc

Dumbest part

Go die?
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-05-10 03:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Kelia said:
are you the guy who was using nq cornette?

nvm you're not, oh well might as well be, enjoy casting in iron ram horn i guess

Horn +1 atm for Elegy pulls actually. And I have never pted with you Kelia. Your atempt has failed XD.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-05-10 03:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

To Darkanaseur

Your bard is 22 go suck a *** plz ^^ kthxbai
First Page 2 3