Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » Mary's Horn
Mary's Horn
 Bahamut.Ryousuke
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ryousuke
By Bahamut.Ryousuke 2009-05-10 04:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree that that Mary's Horn isn't vital for exp parties earlier on; but as a perfectionist, I didn't start leveling bard until I had it...
But I honestly don't see the 'misconception' as such a big thing now - I have yet to meet more than three people who thought it was a 'hidden effect' rather than the fact that it is wind instrument...
But what Alijah said - it's a lifesaver in EG. Decent single target sleeps can make or break an event. Macro Nursemaid's harp for AoE though ^^ I say that purchase is > Mary's Horn, personally. That AoE range really makes a difference later on - although if you're really stingy, Iron Ram's can cut it for Foe, I haven't found the same equivalent on harp.
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-10 10:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ryousuke said:
although if you're really stingy, Iron Ram's can cut it for Foe, I haven't found the same equivalent on harp.

If you don't have a Nursemaids, an Angel Lyre will do. The 2% haste helps--albeit marginally--with recasts. So if you dont have the extra time added on from the Nursemaids, can at least be ready to recast it sooner.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-05-10 11:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The way I see it and still do is always keep a few (3 at least) instruments like 2 wind and 1 string for different situations. You guys keep bringing up Iron ram horn and San D'Orian horn because the chr I don't even use either atm, I got Horn+1 and Rose Harp atm and I'm 53.
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-10 11:29:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You should absolutely keep more instruments on you if you intend to play the job to the best of your abilities. I used to carry 10-13 instruments with me at any given time, depending on what event I was going to. With the introduction of the Mog Satchel, I can carry all of them. Lugging around all that gear sucks, but it's sort of something Bards have to deal with.

Even if you don't want to carry them all for whatever reason, you should at least have the basics. Cornette +1 (There is NO REASON for the NQ, the HQ is like, 10k on most servers) for Minuet, Traversiere (Once again, HQ is like, 20k) for Madrigal, and Faerie Piccolo or Iron Ram Horn for March. You're looking at less than 100k to improve your songs by leaps and bounds.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-05-10 11:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Alijah said:
You should absolutely keep more instruments on you if you intend to play the job to the best of your abilities. I used to carry 10-13 instruments with me at any given time, depending on what event I was going to. With the introduction of the Mog Satchel, I can carry all of them. Lugging around all that gear sucks, but it's sort of something Bards have to deal with.

Even if you don't want to carry them all for whatever reason, you should at least have the basics. Cornette +1 (There is NO REASON for the NQ, the HQ is like, 10k on most servers) for Minuet, Traversiere (Once again, HQ is like, 20k) for Madrigal, and Faerie Piccolo or Iron Ram Horn for March. You're looking at less than 100k to improve your songs by leaps and bounds.

Yea I have those just not in my bag at all times was what I was saying. I've done bard before on my previous character to 65 he was Elvaan.
 Bahamut.Kelia
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-05-10 20:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Alijah said:
Ryousuke said:
although if you're really stingy, Iron Ram's can cut it for Foe, I haven't found the same equivalent on harp.

If you don't have a Nursemaids, an Angel Lyre will do. The 2% haste helps--albeit marginally--with recasts. So if you dont have the extra time added on from the Nursemaids, can at least be ready to recast it sooner.

what

to clarify, nursemaid's is so cheap that i don't get why you wouldn't buy one, even though it's a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE thing to use for exp
 Cerberus.Maryanne
Server: Cerberus
user: Maryanne
By Cerberus.Maryanne 2009-05-10 20:27:34
Link | Quote | Reply

The name of this post scares me.
I don't want to be made into a horn. =/
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-10 20:32:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Maryanne said:

num num mary horn... could make a comment about what one does with horn... must resist temptation...
 Cerberus.Maryanne
By Cerberus.Maryanne 2009-05-10 20:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You are so going to hell for that. X_x
For once I wasn't being pervy. I was thinking horse = glue and so on and so forth. x_x
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-10 20:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Maryanne said:
You are so going to hell for that. X_x
For once I wasn't being pervy. I was thinking horse = glue and so on and so forth. x_x

Haha been there done that. So you thinking someone cut ya open make a horn out of your bones... glue from our cartalidge?
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-05-10 20:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ryousuke said:
I agree that that Mary's Horn isn't vital for exp parties earlier on; but as a perfectionist, I didn't start leveling bard until I had it...
But I honestly don't see the 'misconception' as such a big thing now - I have yet to meet more than three people who thought it was a 'hidden effect' rather than the fact that it is wind instrument...
But what Alijah said - it's a lifesaver in EG. Decent single target sleeps can make or break an event. Macro Nursemaid's harp for AoE though ^^ I say that purchase is > Mary's Horn, personally. That AoE range really makes a difference later on - although if you're really stingy, Iron Ram's can cut it for Foe, I haven't found the same equivalent on harp.

dont forget harp is +2 for lullaby as well as the range. Has anyone tried using harp for foe? does the +2 still affect it even though it's a single target song?
 Cerberus.Maryanne
By Cerberus.Maryanne 2009-05-10 20:50:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah ; ; That's the one

It'd be pretty interesting if I could tie my boneless arm into a bow, though
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-10 20:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Maryanne said:
Yeah ; ; That's the one

It'd be pretty interesting if I could tie my boneless arm into a bow, though

Could tan your hide... literally then walk around pretending to be you...
 Cerberus.Maryanne
By Cerberus.Maryanne 2009-05-10 21:00:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if anyone would notice the difference...
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-10 21:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Maryanne said:
I wonder if anyone would notice the difference...

Lol I certainly hope at least your friends would. Or mine. I haven't been able to do a girl voice without squeeking in forever
 Cerberus.Maryanne
By Cerberus.Maryanne 2009-05-10 21:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Just say "Hehe" and "^-^" a lot, it's next to natural!
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-10 21:20:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Maryanne said:
Just say "Hehe" and "^-^" a lot, it's next to natural!

hehe... I just thought of another interuptation... what if you actually grew a horn like idk a demon or something
 Cerberus.Maryanne
By Cerberus.Maryanne 2009-05-10 21:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd sell myself off as a government experiment and reap the benefits of being able to sit in a room and play FFXI nearly 24/7 (minus the 'experiment' time.). And eat a lot of free chocolate.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-10 21:26:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Maryanne said:
I'd sell myself off as a government experiment and reap the benefits of being able to sit in a room and play FFXI nearly 24/7 (minus the 'experiment' time.). And eat a lot of free chocolate.

Experiment time sounds like fun!!! I wanna play too
 Cerberus.Maryanne
By Cerberus.Maryanne 2009-05-10 21:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Somebody needs to get Dasva a blowup goat for Christmas
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-05-10 21:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

lmao
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-10 21:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Kelia said:
Alijah said:
Ryousuke said:

what

to clarify, nursemaid's is so cheap that i don't get why you wouldn't buy one, even though it's a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE thing to use for exp

No, that's very true, you're right. He just mentioned a viable alternative to a horn "if youre really stingy" and then mentioned not knowing what could be an equally-stingy countpart for the harp. Im sure everyone here is heartily aware that Nursemaids and Marys Horn are the best you could have in those situations.

At this point it's just banter on alternatives if you absolutely dont have access to those two, for whatever reason.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-05-11 00:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Maryanne said:

You could say you would be very horny 24/7
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2009-05-11 00:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaioshin said:
I realize this might invite non bards to drop their two cents as well, feel free to do so.

Wut? Point out where 2CHR = 1 Magic Accuracy to me and I'll take it back.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-11 00:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Maryanne said:
Somebody needs to get Dasva a blowup goat for Christmas

Huh!?! wth kind of experiments were you thinking of? And I'll have you know I don't have sex with animals. Now if we went back to that whole skinning you and made a doll out of that... still kinda weird though. Live or dead its gotta be a real girl.
 Ifrit.Lekotas
Server: Ifrit
user: Lekotas
By Ifrit.Lekotas 2009-05-11 00:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

1) Marys Horn is the best sleep aid for lullaby period. The only thing you gain with string is AoE radius, which 90% of the time is a bad thing.

2) 1 CHR = 1MACC stfu your an idiot, just like 1 skill = 1macc. (Edit: The macc applies specificaly to bard based enfeebles like elegy, requiem, lullaby).

If you level bard w/o mary's horn post 20 because "iron ram horn can cut it", you also probably think Osode is a good piece for bard, which means you are an idiot. Bard skills suck a lot and you need to stack as much as you can with the best gear you can if you really want enfeebles to stick consistently, that means +chr +skill, not +mp/+vit/+haste, wtf do they do for you, nothing, oh I can cast lullaby 5 seconds faster, get the damn merits and get some real potency from your gear.

If you are just leveling bard for maat's cap, please go ahead and gimp yourself as much as you want. I've seen people level bard form 1-75 in lvl 1 rse with 1 instrument. That isn't hard. However, if you actually intend to merit on 75 BRD or do endgame with it, having a full instrument selection, HQ staff, +skill/+chr/+macc gear IS important. Even with HQ earth staff, earth grip, elegy +2 instrument, relic hat, wind torque, musical+sining earring, shadow coat, choral cuffs, Balrahns+omega ring, astute cape/jester's cape+1, marduk legs, gleemans belt I STILL RESIST ELEGY on ***I shouldn't be very often because of how stupid bard enfeebles are.

If you are leveling bard to merit *** and need to sleep birds in your meripo, you fail as a bard so retire the job and go play something easy like sam or war.

If you are leveling bard to actually play it well, get the gear and don't be stupid and gimp yourself.

IF you are leveling bard for endgame, go back to the first two, 1= your skill level, 2= your commitment. if you fail in either category don't waste your time or anyone elses.

Oh back to OP:

What kind of idiot WOULDN'T want an extra duration added on to their sleep? Isn't the point of sleeping a mob to PREVENT THEM FROM DOING ANYTHING?! I'm sorry but that fact alone is what makes mary's horn worth having, but yes +song does not equal +macc to said song it simply increases duration/effect dependant on what you are doing.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-11 00:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lekotas said:

2) 1 CHR = 1MACC stfu your an idiot, just like 1 skill = 1macc.

I've yet to see any extensive testing on chr and macc. However what I have seen shows that it behaves similarly as int and mnd on the applicable spells. That being said there has been extensive int testing. So chances are 1chr only =1macc until you reach a certain point and it then becomes more like 2chr=1macc. For int that number is pretty damn easy to get even on HNMs... well at least for a taru others might have to substitute MAB for int.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-05-11 01:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I did not read this whole thread, but @OP:
No, Mary's Horn does not add ACC. No, Mary's Horn doesn't have any hidden effects. No, Mary's Horn is not worth buying.

1 CHR = 1 M.ACC until you reach about 200 total M.ACC, then 1 M.ACC starts equaling .8 M.ACC after that.
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-05-11 03:54:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
i often wonder what it would be like to have brds in my dynamis...

14 blms... 4-6 rdms... 1 brd?

I'd rather have the 4-6 rdm personally. When I'm brd in dynamis, I make 2 macros.
/pcmd leave
/invite on
/l invite to join party

and
/join

Pt jumping takes like 2 secs unless you have idiots as party leaders.

btw, best thing about Ghorn is not needing all those instruments anymore!
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-05-11 04:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lekotas said:
1) Marys Horn is the best sleep aid for lullaby period. The only thing you gain with string is AoE radius, which 90% of the time is a bad thing.

2) 1 CHR = 1MACC stfu your an idiot, just like 1 skill = 1macc. (Edit: The macc applies specificaly to bard based enfeebles like elegy, requiem, lullaby).

If you level bard w/o mary's horn post 20 because "iron ram horn can cut it", you also probably think Osode is a good piece for bard, which means you are an idiot. Bard skills suck a lot and you need to stack as much as you can with the best gear you can if you really want enfeebles to stick consistently, that means +chr +skill, not +mp/+vit/+haste, wtf do they do for you, nothing, oh I can cast lullaby 5 seconds faster, get the damn merits and get some real potency from your gear.

If you are just leveling bard for maat's cap, please go ahead and gimp yourself as much as you want. I've seen people level bard form 1-75 in lvl 1 rse with 1 instrument. That isn't hard. However, if you actually intend to merit on 75 BRD or do endgame with it, having a full instrument selection, HQ staff, +skill/+chr/+macc gear IS important. Even with HQ earth staff, earth grip, elegy +2 instrument, relic hat, wind torque, musical+sining earring, shadow coat, choral cuffs, Balrahns+omega ring, astute cape/jester's cape+1, marduk legs, gleemans belt I STILL RESIST ELEGY on ***I shouldn't be very often because of how stupid bard enfeebles are.

If you are leveling bard to merit *** and need to sleep birds in your meripo, you fail as a bard so retire the job and go play something easy like sam or war.

If you are leveling bard to actually play it well, get the gear and don't be stupid and gimp yourself.

IF you are leveling bard for endgame, go back to the first two, 1= your skill level, 2= your commitment. if you fail in either category don't waste your time or anyone elses.

Oh back to OP:

What kind of idiot WOULDN'T want an extra duration added on to their sleep? Isn't the point of sleeping a mob to PREVENT THEM FROM DOING ANYTHING?! I'm sorry but that fact alone is what makes mary's horn worth having, but yes +song does not equal +macc to said song it simply increases duration/effect dependant on what you are doing.

Okay so your one giant cluster *** of emotion arnt you? Well my emotionally immature friend my main point of this was to a. point out the misconception some friends were having and b. just give my opinion and allow others to express theres. What you have done is taken your shitty day, logged onto this forum, and decided to bash me around making wild accusations and assumptions as we all know, makes an *** out of u and me. That being said let me explain for you. I'm not trying to cut it with anything, I use Horn+1 for elegy pulls, chr horn for all else, looking into camping mary's horn, never said i wouldnt get it (your a *** idiot for reading too much into this) just wanted to point out that its not all that GREAT to make or break as others have agreed here. Look also if you own all that ***for your bard too *** CONGRATS means you don't have a 2 year old son to provide for and your life = this game playing bard. Congrats. I'm not doing this to be a merit ***, I'm not doing this to main it either, this will be my second 75, my main is Ninja. I'm done with this I got the opinions I needed to hear. You had some good points and all, thanks but the constant name calling earns you the TROLL title today. Congrats on that. I read 5 chr = 2.5 mag acc on this site, i should have checked source first, just figured it was true. So get of your *** high horse.