Mary is mah ***

20/81 on the horn atm >_>
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: iLLogiX
By Remora.Hackstealandbot 2009-05-11 07:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
Yeah I don't see it making or breaking a Brd at such low levels, I only say it's 'needed' for like Dyna and stuff.

youd be using a harp for range there
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-05-11 07:12:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaioshin said:
I thought I'd start a little thread here and get some opinions from average bards and elitist bards a like. I realize this might invite non bards to drop their two cents as well, feel free to do so. I have compiled all my evidence to prove that Mary's horn just isnt worth the gil unless you camp it or have gil and nothing else to spend it on (like a wind torque).

Now I have heard the following statements about Mary's Horn and I'm here to disprove all my friends (elitist bards) and you if you believe these rediculous claims.

They believe Mary's Horn has a hidden effect of mag acc and/or that mary's horn with its Lullaby+1 means the +1 means it will land more accurately. These claims are both false. Another claim I hear is it's a must have for bard. Here is what I've found to disprove that all. And I remind you its still a good instrument just hate elitists XD.

Lullaby : Two songs give this effect. Foe Lullaby is single-target, while Horde Lullaby has a small Area of Effect and can possibly hit multiple enemies. Lullaby base duration is 30 seconds. Each +1 given from an instrument adds +3 seconds to base duration.

Wind Instruments :Instruments used by a Bard to add effects to fellow party members or a party's enemy. Most of the instruments give boosts to certain songs that can be sung by a bard, which is why it's always great to have the +1 versions of the instruments. Mary's Horn and Piccolo +1 don't boost the songs' effects as much as Nursemaid's Harp and Sorrowful Harp, but the songs land more consistently. Each +1 to a song on an instrument increases its duration by 10%, and also increases its effect. All buff songs have a base duration of 120 seconds, or 2 minutes.

So that being said we come to the conclusion is it the Mary's Horn making your sleep land better?, its the fact its a wind instrument. So do you really need to have a horn to increase sleep by 3 seconds? Up to you, highly situational or if your trying to be the best bard puller then get one by all means. I just wanted to disprove some friends and any elitists out there walking around with the notion this has a hidden effect lol. Bottom line : Always pull with a wind instrument, and stack wind instrument skills, I never have a problem sleeping. Oh CHR always helps too, every 5 chr = 2.5 mag acc remember that kids ^^.

I've been BRD75 for a long time now, but far from elitist (using Yigit rather than spend 5 mil on manteel for example). I dont have mary's horn, and I've never had it either. 3 sec extra duration on sleep time?

Well, first off if talking about merit party, you'd need new DD's if the first 30 sec of sleep isnt enough.

As far as going to dyna, I've played BRD in dyna alot as well. Not sure how other shells are doing it, but the extra 3 sec wouldnt matter in dyna either. BRD's are only for the initial sleep, where the RDM overwrite your lullaby with sleep II for crowd control. And ofcourse help resleep mobs that wake up, but because of the recast time of lullaby there's only so much you can do about that.

Is it worth spending 300-350k (on my server) for an additional 3 sec of zzz? Not in my opinion.

Would I camp mary for the horn? Only if my intention was to sell it, but really I can think of alot less annoying ways to make 300-350 k.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-05-11 11:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:
Kaioshin said:
I thought I'd start a little thread here and get some opinions from average bards and elitist bards a like. I realize this might invite non bards to drop their two cents as well, feel free to do so. I have compiled all my evidence to prove that Mary's horn just isnt worth the gil unless you camp it or have gil and nothing else to spend it on (like a wind torque).

Now I have heard the following statements about Mary's Horn and I'm here to disprove all my friends (elitist bards) and you if you believe these rediculous claims.

They believe Mary's Horn has a hidden effect of mag acc and/or that mary's horn with its Lullaby+1 means the +1 means it will land more accurately. These claims are both false. Another claim I hear is it's a must have for bard. Here is what I've found to disprove that all. And I remind you its still a good instrument just hate elitists XD.

Lullaby : Two songs give this effect. Foe Lullaby is single-target, while Horde Lullaby has a small Area of Effect and can possibly hit multiple enemies. Lullaby base duration is 30 seconds. Each +1 given from an instrument adds +3 seconds to base duration.

Wind Instruments :Instruments used by a Bard to add effects to fellow party members or a party's enemy. Most of the instruments give boosts to certain songs that can be sung by a bard, which is why it's always great to have the +1 versions of the instruments. Mary's Horn and Piccolo +1 don't boost the songs' effects as much as Nursemaid's Harp and Sorrowful Harp, but the songs land more consistently. Each +1 to a song on an instrument increases its duration by 10%, and also increases its effect. All buff songs have a base duration of 120 seconds, or 2 minutes.

So that being said we come to the conclusion is it the Mary's Horn making your sleep land better?, its the fact its a wind instrument. So do you really need to have a horn to increase sleep by 3 seconds? Up to you, highly situational or if your trying to be the best bard puller then get one by all means. I just wanted to disprove some friends and any elitists out there walking around with the notion this has a hidden effect lol. Bottom line : Always pull with a wind instrument, and stack wind instrument skills, I never have a problem sleeping. Oh CHR always helps too, every 5 chr = 2.5 mag acc remember that kids ^^.

I've been BRD75 for a long time now, but far from elitist (using Yigit rather than spend 5 mil on manteel for example). I dont have mary's horn, and I've never had it either. 3 sec extra duration on sleep time?

Well, first off if talking about merit party, you'd need new DD's if the first 30 sec of sleep isnt enough.

As far as going to dyna, I've played BRD in dyna alot as well. Not sure how other shells are doing it, but the extra 3 sec wouldnt matter in dyna either. BRD's are only for the initial sleep, where the RDM overwrite your lullaby with sleep II for crowd control. And ofcourse help resleep mobs that wake up, but because of the recast time of lullaby there's only so much you can do about that.

Is it worth spending 300-350k (on my server) for an additional 3 sec of zzz? Not in my opinion.

Would I camp mary for the horn? Only if my intention was to sell it, but really I can think of alot less annoying ways to make 300-350 k.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FINALLY SOMEONE WHO GETS MY POINT! there is hope on this forum.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-05-11 11:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkanaseur said:
Kaioshin said:
I realize this might invite non bards to drop their two cents as well, feel free to do so.

Wut? Point out where 2CHR = 1 Magic Accuracy to me and I'll take it back.

Look up a comment on Mary's Horn on this site. Thats where i got that info. My bad. Didn't realize that person was HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
 Bahamut.Kelia
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-05-11 11:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

lol rl card
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-05-11 11:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaioshin said:
Zanno said:
Kaioshin said:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FINALLY SOMEONE WHO GETS MY POINT! there is hope on this forum.

NOOOOO nooo noo dont listen to them. you will put me out of business <.<;;
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-11 12:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaioshin said:
Darkanaseur said:
Kaioshin said:
I realize this might invite non bards to drop their two cents as well, feel free to do so.

Look up a comment on Mary's Horn on this site. Thats where i got that info. My bad. Didn't realize that person was HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Magic_Accuracy

Quoted from Wiki: "Meaning, when casting on Monsters in the most situations (excluding some HNMs): 1 Skill = 1 Magic accuracy = 2 Spell Stat (INT, MND, CHR) = 1% hit rate"

This has been neither confirmed nor denied by SE, but it's generally (I say generally, if you disagree with me, please say so in a grown up debate) accepted within the BRD-y community that 2 Stat = 1 Skill = 1 Magic Accuracy.

I myself have believed the 2 CHR = 1 Magic Accuracy dogma. If it's wrong by all means show me and I'm glad to change but it's worked for me.
 Gilgamesh.Gregou
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Goirx
By Gilgamesh.Gregou 2009-05-11 12:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

This thing saying that 2Stat = 1M.acc can also be found in the JP wiki, and on Kaeko's LJ.
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-11 12:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Gregou said:
This thing saying that 2Stat = 1M.acc can also be found in the JP wiki, and on Kaeko's LJ.

Kaeko! That was the guy! I forgot his name and I seem to have deleted the bookmark, I was going crazy trying to find it again. Thanks. :)
 Gilgamesh.Gregou
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Goirx
By Gilgamesh.Gregou 2009-05-11 12:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

The link : http://kanican.livejournal.com/34049.html (JP links on the page)

And just a little link for all BRDs : http://kanican.livejournal.com/34049.html?thread=402177#t402177 => Singing > Wind for debuff
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2009-05-11 12:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Alijah said:
Kaioshin said:
Darkanaseur said:
Kaioshin said:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Magic_Accuracy

Quoted from Wiki: "Meaning, when casting on Monsters in the most situations (excluding some HNMs): 1 Skill = 1 Magic accuracy = 2 Spell Stat (INT, MND, CHR) = 1% hit rate"

This has been neither confirmed nor denied by SE, but it's generally (I say generally, if you disagree with me, please say so in a grown up debate) accepted within the BRD-y community that 2 Stat = 1 Skill = 1 Magic Accuracy.

I myself have believed the 2 CHR = 1 Magic Accuracy dogma. If it's wrong by all means show me and I'm glad to change but it's worked for me.

Sorry, my intention wasn't to start pointless bickering, but the OP did invite non-BRDs to put their opinions in, then when I did, he curled up in the corner lashing out at people. I didn't even discredit his post, in fact I even agree with him about the horn, I just picked at the ONE area I didn't agree with and got emo'd at.
But no I don't really agree with the 2STAT > 1 Acc area, and I'm talking from experiences on both BLM and RDM, 1STAT > .X acc seems more accurate to me, based on my random resist spikes with nukes on HNM in Ele sets, to INT sets. And I would assume BRD spells (since yes I dont have it leveled) would work the same way, since Magic Accuracy is a governing stat for all spells, songs/Utsu/Enfeeb/etc. But it doesn't really matter since nothing is proven about Macc since SE don't take a stance on it. Like I said, my opinion.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-11 12:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Alijah said:
Gregou said:

Kaeko! That was the guy! I forgot his name and I seem to have deleted the bookmark, I was going crazy trying to find it again. Thanks. :)

Actually if you read it more for int anyways 1=1macc if your dint (yourint-monsterint) is less then or equal to 10. When dint>10 then 2int~1macc. Hence the whole 320/120 build cause testing has shown that most mobs even HNMs dont have more then 110 int with a few notable exceptions *cought kirin cough*. mnd/int/chr tend to work similarly when it comes to macc on applicable spells. So I'd say for the brd who already has a decent amount of chr itd probably be more like 2chr~1macc and for the one without alot 1 to 1. Which in no way means your gimp/pimp. My blm even as a taru with int merits barely makes 120 with all the MAB gear I wear funny cause Im way over on my rdm and used to be way over before I got "better" gear.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-11 12:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkanaseur said:

Sorry, my intention wasn't to start pointless bickering, but the OP did invite non-BRDs to put their opinions in, then when I did, he curled up in the corner lashing out at people. I didn't even discredit his post, in fact I even agree with him about the horn, I just picked at the ONE area I didn't agree with and got emo'd at.
But no I don't really agree with the 2STAT > 1 Acc area, and I'm talking from experiences on both BLM and RDM, 1STAT > .X acc seems more accurate to me, based on my random resist spikes with nukes on HNM in Ele sets, to INT sets. And I would assume BRD spells (since yes I dont have it leveled) would work the same way, since Magic Accuracy is a governing stat for all spells, songs/Utsu/Enfeeb/etc. But it doesn't really matter since nothing is proven about Macc since SE don't take a stance on it. Like I said, my opinion.

Thats like saying nothings proven on emnity either or really anything in game cause SE dont take a stance on ***. Extensive testing on int and macc on normal and HNM mobs has been done. And in my mind extensive testing will always beat well I SEEM to randomly spike yada yada. Ill take thousands of controlled test over a few I think it looked this way anyday.
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-11 12:41:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkanaseur said:

No no, Im not bickering. In fact, Im a little annoyed at the bickering. Shame people cant have grown up debates over a video game without resorting to name calling, but I digress.

HNMs aren't a good candidate for testing accuracy, I would think, just because their stats are so much higher than ours and other mobs. The Wiki quote even says in the most situations (excluding some HNMs):. I personally haven't spent hours upon hours testing the validity of the statements, so Im not going to stomp my feet and say you're wrong and Im right. As you said, SE wont chime in so nobody can ever be 100% certain until they do. Edit: but as the poster said above me, there have been a number of tests run by players that seem to try to shed some light on the subjects SE won't talk about.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2009-05-11 12:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe I worded it wrong, but I mean my intention was to nuke in INT sets to TEST the acc differences. I wasn't nuking in errant to look spiffy.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2009-05-11 12:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Alijah said:
Darkanaseur said:

No no, Im not bickering. In fact, Im a little annoyed at the bickering. Shame people cant have grown up debates over a video game without resorting to name calling, but I digress.

HNMs aren't a good candidate for testing accuracy, I would think, just because their stats are so much higher than ours and other mobs. The Wiki quote even says in the most situations (excluding some HNMs):. I personally haven't spent hours upon hours testing the validity of the statements, so Im not going to stomp my feet and say you're wrong and Im right. as you said, SE wont chime in so nobody can ever be 100% certain until they do.

I didn't mean you, I meant the OP with his "Go die" comments etc.
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-11 12:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkanaseur said:
I didn't mean you, I meant the OP with his "Go die" comments etc.

While Im not condoning the lashing out and swearing and name calling, I will at least say, to be fair, you didn't approach your opinion in the best manner. Saying you disagree and then explaining why you disagree is one thing.

"Dumbest part"

is quite the other.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2009-05-11 12:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry for that
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-05-11 19:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea i got a bit touchy. I thought this would turn into a flame war like most do when you have an educated opinion about a piece of gear in this game. My bad yo
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [205 days between previous and next post]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2009-12-02 22:59:45
Link | Quote | Reply

OP asks for opinion, then takes it in a very bad way :-/

Sure Mary's horn doesn't help that much early level, but it's the mindset.

Why play a job half arsed, when there is an easily farmed piece of equipment (farm for gil, or the horn) to obtain.

Most bard's are perfectionists, and this is a good thing.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-12-02 23:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
lolwut?
I see a crap load of princessbards and naked ones...dont know what you are talking about.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2009-12-02 23:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
lolwut?
I see a crap load of princessbards and naked ones...dont know what you are talking about.

Maybe on your server. On Shiva the majority of Bard's have top gear.

(of course you get the odd terribad player "enjoylife" for example)