users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Magic: The Gathering
Magic: The Gathering
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12
By Eugene 2012-01-09 20:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Serj said: »
Quote:
Q: I heard somebody talking about "mana burn". What's that?
A: Before the Magic 2010 rules changes, when mana disappeared from your mana pool, you lost life equal to the amount of mana lost this way; this was called "mana burn".

Mana burn wasn't very common, because most of the time players produce only as much mana as they need as they need it, but it sometimes came up when a spell or ability added a fixed amount of mana to their mana pool and they weren't able to spend all of it. However, you don't have to worry about that, because mana burn is no longer a part of the game.

All I can find on it easily.
thanks
 Phoenix.Wackatramp
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Wackatramp 2012-01-09 20:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow. I haven't played in so long. I would with a few friends every now and then in junior high. Ha. I miss the smell of opening a new pack of cards. The first pack I ever bought was from Chronicles?. I have no idea what I ended with. I have a lot of Tempest cards still kicking around.

I'm going to most def. look into this again. Now that we re In the era of online, it ll be easy to find others to play against.

Cool thread, yo',
 Odin.Graywind
Server: Odin
user: graywind
By Odin.Graywind 2012-01-09 20:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Eugene said: »
Quote:
A: Before the Magic 2010 rules changes, when mana disappeared from your mana pool, you lost life equal to the amount of mana lost this way; this was called "mana burn".

Mana burn wasn't very common, because most of the time players produce only as much mana as they need as they need it, but it sometimes came up when a spell or ability added a fixed amount of mana to their mana pool and they weren't able to spend all of it. However, you don't have to worry about that, because mana burn is no longer a part of the game.

thanks

They got rid of mana burn in 2010?.. that's kind of stupid in my opinion..
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-01-09 21:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Graywind said: »
Quote:

thanks

They got rid of mana burn in 2010?.. that's kind of stupid in my opinion..

I know there are several cards that prevented damage from manaburn.

Kind of wondering what the point was. I mean, it doesn't change much of anything except mana burning your opponent whenever that rarely can happen and stopping yourself from dying from things like Gaea's Cradles and the like.

Actually helps me out in a few decks.

Still strange.
 Carbuncle.Lolserj
Server: Carbuncle
user: Andras
By Carbuncle.Lolserj 2012-01-09 21:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

There are a few cards that keep mana in your mana pool

thats probably why
 Odin.Graywind
By Odin.Graywind 2012-01-09 21:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

That's probably it, it makes sense at least.
By Eugene 2012-01-09 21:31:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently it was taken out because people weren't aware it existed.
I knew about it because i read a rulebook once. I never made decks centered around it but you definitely could with cards like:

Before the rule change those cards (at least searchlight) could serve double purposes, early game searchlight could provide a source of mana, and late game provide a source of unpreventable damage. I'm kinda bummed its gone, more because of the lore aspect than anything.
By Eugene 2012-01-09 21:36:57
Link | Quote | Reply

also granted this card is mostly useless, this could illustrate there could a few instances where mana burn was useful. Say if you had a direct dmg spell that could almost finish off an opponent at your life total. mana burn yourself to drop your life total into kill range, play repay in kind, kill opponent with direct spell.

again, highly situational, but there are a few instances where it worked in your favor, as well as keeping certain cards in check.

Also, all the cards mentioned in the notes on the rule change are changed to some degree.
 Odin.Graywind
By Odin.Graywind 2012-01-09 21:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I just thought it was an interesting thing to think about when using specific cards that enhance your mana pool. Eugene brings up valid options for it with some of the cards he listed as well.
 Carbuncle.Lolserj
Server: Carbuncle
user: Andras
By Carbuncle.Lolserj 2012-01-09 23:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I've learned to never question what they do with this game because half of the time it probably makes no *** sense
 Lakshmi.Jesi
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jesi
By Lakshmi.Jesi 2012-01-09 23:11:06
Link | Quote | Reply

My friends and I used to play with proxy decks all of the time.

It was fun being able to use any card in the game and plus it was cheap lol.

We would just print the cards out and slide them into those card protectors.

I don't really like playing magic in video game form, just because it feels sooooo slow. Plus the best part of the game for me was the social aspect anyway.
 Pandemonium.Anookulchandra
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2012-01-09 23:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

also granted this card is mostly useless, this could illustrate there could a few instances where mana burn was useful. Say if you had a direct dmg spell that could almost finish off an opponent at your life total. mana burn yourself to drop your life total into kill range, play repay in kind, kill opponent with direct spell.

again, highly situational, but there are a few instances where it worked in your favor, as well as keeping certain cards in check.

Also, all the cards mentioned in the notes on the rule change are changed to some degree.

That card is not bad at all. It's actually sexy in situations of large group play. 2 headed Giants, King matches or just large group free for alls. It's also used in the game in general for games like if you are trying to counter certain decks. Knowing your opponents who have decks that burn their own health in return for something special reason for stronger monsters out and what not. Then to use that to bring you to their level and *** him hard saying you mad?
It doesn't help though when you play cards like

Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-01-09 23:14:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
As Lich enters the battlefield, you lose life equal to your life total.
You don't lose the game for having 0 or less life.
If you would gain life, draw that many cards instead.
Whenever you're dealt damage, sacrifice that many nontoken permanents. If you can't, you lose the game.
When Lich is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you lose the game.

Problem?
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2012-01-09 23:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
As Lich enters the battlefield, you lose life equal to your life total.
You don't lose the game for having 0 or less life.
If you would gain life, draw that many cards instead.
Whenever you're dealt damage, sacrifice that many nontoken permanents. If you can't, you lose the game.
When Lich is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you lose the game.

Problem?

That's not a tournament legal card for how over powered it is and literally what little can be done to stop it. And if you have deck to burn their cards or monster abilities and vice versa like for example Ravanous Rats it was broken.
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-01-09 23:19:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Format Legality
Legacy Legal
Vintage Legal
Commander Legal

Legal in Legacy, which is the only format I'd play in atm.
 Odin.Graywind
By Odin.Graywind 2012-01-09 23:31:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lots can be done about that card really, all you need is a disenchant and ta-da game won for whoever used it.

Even the combo can be blocked because of that, disenchant is an instant while repay in Kind is a sorcery.
 Quetzalcoatl.Zano
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Azael
By Quetzalcoatl.Zano 2012-01-09 23:36:29
Link | Quote | Reply

This Guy
And this Guy

Not really a big combo or anything (that and takes a bit to set up) but the most recent Jace is fun.

Been playing MtG off and on over the past 6 or so years, and what I enjoy mostly is the plethora of cards to play with(pending format you're playing in) Good thread =)
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2012-01-09 23:36:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Lots can be done about that card really, all you need is a disenchant and ta-da game won for whoever used it.

Even the combo can be blocked because of that, disenchant is an instant while repay in Kind is a sorcery.

I'm just quoting the magic guys who said that people can't even tell the difference between a end phase and mid phase.
 Odin.Graywind
By Odin.Graywind 2012-01-09 23:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Anookulchandra said: »
I'm just quoting the magic guys who said that people can't even tell the difference between a end phase and mid phase.

True, fair enough. To be honest that didn't make much sense to me at all
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-01-10 00:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Need some more deck concepts up in hur.

Going to order my new deck (parts I need) soon enough. 14.81$ for all of them, and .99$ for shipping.

Not bad at all.

Also am going to be working on condensing my white/blue down to 60 cards, see what else I need there before I order the rest for that deck.
By Sylfeya 2012-01-10 01:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

A Johnny here, although I haven't played in ages. Kinda sad mana burn's gone... never won a game with it, but I lost a game hilariously in a 'hoisted my own petard' moment:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3318
plus
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=19831
in a multiplayer game? Not even multiple http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=205351 saved me... my life total would skyrocket during each player's upkeep, and then almost flatline during my own main phase because I had no way to spend all that black mana. Had Pestilence's and Drain Life's... but of course, they didn't surface before I was eating over 80 points of mana burn a turn =/
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-01-10 01:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

What's everyone's opinion on the most broken card in MTG?
 Odin.Graywind
By Odin.Graywind 2012-01-10 01:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

This, is both the most expensive and most broken card in the game in my opinion:

[+]
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2012-01-10 01:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

*** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE-*** card.

Also can black lotus even be used? Seems like something that would be banned in most formats.

Edit: Missed the part where you sacrifice black lotus, seems viable.
 Odin.Minefield
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2012-01-10 01:55:04
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Odin.Graywind
By Odin.Graywind 2012-01-10 01:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, it's banned in most formats, part of the reason it has my vote for most broken card.
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-01-10 01:55:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd have to say this.

Or

Black Lotus is amazing and extremely epic, but imo Necropotence and Yawgmoth's Will honestly break the game.
 Odin.Graywind
By Odin.Graywind 2012-01-10 02:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I just feel Necropotence lacks logic to it... I mean why would someone use an enchantment that would, in effect, make their draw phase cost them life? I can see it being used to draw multiple cards, or prevent the player from decking themselves... But it just feels silly to me.
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-01-10 02:09:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I just feel Necropotence lacks logic to it... I mean why would someone use an enchantment that would, in effect, make their draw phase cost them life? I can see it being used to draw multiple cards, or prevent the player from decking themselves... But it just feels silly to me.

Basically, even if you can't Library of Lang or Spellbook, you draw out 19 cards and have the ability to unleash a winning combo asap. It's dangerous, but more than likely you'll get every card you need to pull out a win in 1 turn.

Same thing with Yawgmoth's Will. Dump your library in your graveyard through one of the various methods. Play everything to win it all at once.

Thing is, they're turn 1 with dark rit and get you you're winning combo almost 100% of the time.

Black lotus just helps your turn 1 hand and if it's perfect gets you a win. Necropotence and Yawmoth's get you your win.

Alas, both of them are banned in most formats =\
 Shiva.Varistor
Server: Shiva
user: Varistor
By Shiva.Varistor 2012-01-10 02:15:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I quit not too long before 5th edition came out and started after 3rd edition. my most prized card i had was timetwister. my favorite deck I made was discarding and drawing, using timetwister, wheel of fortune, eureka, library of alexandria, mahat djinns and clones and dopplegangers, etc..
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12