Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Becoming the best
Becoming the best
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
Server: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-08 15:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey everyone now that it looks like im gonna be having alot of free time in the near future I want to give my black mage a complete overhawl in its effectiveness. In short I want to become one of the best black mages on my server.

In order to make this happen I need to improve my gear sets that I use greatly. some of them don't need much like my nuking set. others need a ton of crap like my idle set. but overall I think I need improvement in all areas and I can't do this all by my self easly.

I just posted all of my gear sets on my profile page (I left a few out like my cure set and my SS set but I don't think I need to post those). I just ask that some of you post like one or 2 gear pieces you would add/remove from a set and why.

I greatly appreciate your feedback for this and I look forward to your suggestions. :)

Edit:
Quote:
I macro the following gear in my nuking set based on some condistions:

Searing Cape (when emnity doesn't matter/soloing)
elemental obis (only have dark/ice/thunder atm)
Uggalepih pendant (for latent)
Twilight cape, sorcerer's tomban (for day/weather)

Edit:
Nuking set:

Enfeebling Magic set:

Dark magic set:

Idle set:

Elemental Enfeebling Magic set:

Healing mp set:
[+]
 Diabolos.Artfuldodger
Server: Diabolos
user: cuccon
By Diabolos.Artfuldodger 2011-02-08 15:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice seeing people with the right attitudes about gearing better; I got a lot of work to do too...

Nukes: Searing Cape was the biggest thing that seemed missing. I know enmity+ can be somewhat daunting, but it should consistently beat out Goetia Mantle with today's floored resist rates. Still handy for a resist build though.

PDT: Augmented Dark Rings from Konschtat, Cheviot Cape

Idle: Serpente's set, Wivre Hairpin, Moonshade Earring (I stuck a nice +1 refresh augment on mine). I put PDT in my idle set for other remaining slots that aren't refresh when I can
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-08 15:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

thx for the tips.. Shoot I knew I forgot something. I need to add the other stuff I macro in for my nuking set.

I'll just say it here. I macro the following gear in my nuking set based on some condistions:

I think that covers it.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-02-08 15:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanna be the very best

Like no one ever was

To catch them is my real test

To train them is my cause

I will travel across the land

Searching far and wide

Teach Pokemon to understand

The power that's inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*edit* I'll ask some opinions. :3
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-08 15:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Af3+2 legs are better than iqgira lappas for enfeebs.
Same for af3+2 feet, atleast for sleep etc.
Can use enfeebling earring and goetia earring in the same set if you care for a few more macc.

Another Icesoul ring for nukes, and Novio! :p
And Artemis' medal when it's active.
Better than goetia chain above 40% moon phase I belive, dont remember for sure:P
Searing cape is probably allways better than Goetia for nukes <_>

Enm+5 wont really break you, unless it's a really long fight, and even then it's marginal.
Can just put on a -enm atma or build a -enm set if you'r worried about pulling hate :P

Some small things, but cba to look through it more right now D:

This is my Idle set, should aim for something like this.

Can easily macro in Terra/twilight torque when getting hit!
[+]
 Diabolos.Artfuldodger
By Diabolos.Artfuldodger 2011-02-08 15:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark: Nashira Manteel, Merciful Cape

Relic feet are surprisingly decent for cMP too (for cures/SS/refresh/etc.)

Also, b/c I'm lazy, I use Artemis' Medal for my general nukes. It's pretty useless under 50% moon phases, but I'm pretty sure it's the best for when the moons ~80% or higher
[+]
 Asura.Revelation
Server: Asura
user: Oric
By Asura.Revelation 2011-02-08 15:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said:
I wanna be the very best Like no one ever was To catch them is my real test To train them is my cause I will travel across the land Searching far and wide Teach Pokemon to understand The power that's inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *edit* I'll ask some opinions. :3

Lol, I sang this in my head after reading the topic before even clicking on it XD.

Anyways, carry on.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-02-08 15:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Same for af3+2 feet, atleast for sleep etc.
Can use enfeebling earring and goetia earring in the same set if you care for a few more macc.

Another Icesoul ring for nukes, and Novio! :p
And Artemis' medal when it's active.
Better than goetia chain above 40% moon phase I belive, dont remember for sure:P
Searing cape is probably allways better than Goetia for nukes <_>

Enm+5 wont really break you, unless it's a really long fight, and even then it's marginal.
Can just put on a -enm atma or build a -enm set if you'r worried about pulling hate :P

Some small things, but cba to look through it more right now D:

This is my Idle set, should aim for something like this.

Can easily macro in Terra/twilight torque when getting hit!

Not important in Abyssea but for outside areas if just messing around you can reach like 6+ tick just in gear alone haha its nice. Af3+2 body, hairpin, wotg earring, subligar, serpentes set.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-08 15:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol yeah, I really gotta do wotg missions.. I'm still on the mission that give access to WoE >_>
If only I had gaiters I'd spend the time getting subligar with refresh on too, but I dont like to give up on movement speed lol
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-08 15:40:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Holy crap your right... totaly missed that... looks like im saying good bye to those legs.

Keep up your tips they are realy helping my out and thx for that idle set. Now I have something to measure up to.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-08 15:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Darkwizardzin said:
Quote:
Holy crap your right... totaly missed that... looks like im saying good bye to those legs.

Keep up your tips they are realy helping my out and thx for that idle set. Now I have something to measure up to.

NP, I'll take a pair of Goetia gloves +2 in return kthx!
Gotta get off my *** and get those -_-
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-08 16:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

btw kvazz why do you idle in cognition belt?
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-02-08 16:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

good Q, was wondering the same
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-08 16:24:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Also does sorcerer's tomban out damage Af3+2 legs when its the sameday effect is active?
[+]
 Bismarck.Maxse
Server: Bismarck
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2011-02-08 16:40:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Typo thanks to SE on AF3 +2 Legs MACC is only +7, or so I've heard.
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-08 16:45:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Maxse said:
Quote:
Holy crap your right... totaly missed that... looks like im saying good bye to those legs. Keep up your tips they are realy helping my out and thx for that idle set. Now I have something to measure up to.
Typo thanks to SE on AF3 +2 Legs MACC is only +7, or so I've heard.
From where?

If SE made a typo on that they would have fixed it a long while back. they fixed goetia chains typo in like a month after it was found.
[+]
 Asura.Raignes
user: Raignes
By Asura.Raignes 2011-02-08 16:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

AF3+2 legs actually only have 7 MAcc, as shown by a translation of Non-NA clients, instead of the 12 we see. Igqira/AF1 pants still beat em for Enfeeb/Dark magic respectively.

Anyways, on topic. I like the haste from Turban/Swift belt when I'm casting dark magics, since the recasts on those spells border on HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Not sure if it'd break a tier on your EleDOTs, but consider going for an Augur's Jaseran for that as well as using for Stoneskin if you're not capped out. Idle's already been addressed, but a Dark Ring or two (Jelly Ring if you're not lucky) wouldn't go awry. Finally, highly recommend working on DMG paths for an Indra's +2 and finishing off your Varuna's. The accuracy hit isn't much of one if you're using Atma of the Ultimate from Proto-Ultima.

I've noticed using Twilight Cape with AF2 legs does outdamage AF3+2, haven't done much with just AF2 vs. AF3+2 however.

Also, Icesoul Ring /want. D: Also all the +2s you have ; ;
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-08 16:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Raignes said:
AF3+2 legs actually only have 7 MAcc, as shown by a translation of Non-NA clients, instead of the 12 we see. Igqira/AF1 pants still beat em for Enfeeb/Dark magic respectively.

Anyways, on topic. I like the haste from Turban/Swift belt when I'm casting dark magics, since the recasts on those spells border on HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Not sure if it'd break a tier on your EleDOTs, but consider going for an Augur's Jaseran for that as well as using for Stoneskin if you're not capped out. Idle's already been addressed, but a Dark Ring or two (Jelly Ring if you're not lucky) wouldn't go awry. Finally, highly recommend working on DMG paths for an Indra's +2 and finishing off your Varuna's. The accuracy hit isn't much of one if you're using Atma of the Ultimate from Proto-Ultima.

I've noticed using Twilight Cape with AF2 legs does outdamage AF3+2, haven't done much with just AF2 vs. AF3+2 however.

Also, Icesoul Ring /want. D: Also all the +2s you have ; ;
Why do they keep nerfing blm? first the goetia chain, then the sch getting a better nuking body now this crap.
[+]
 Asura.Raignes
user: Raignes
By Asura.Raignes 2011-02-08 16:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't think it's an intentional "nerf", but I agree they're giving SCHs an awful lot of nuking stats on stuff. Not to mention a JA that boosts their nukes 20%.

Meh. We're still better than them coz we don't have to use said JAs to not suck at nuking :3
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-09 04:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

good Q, was wondering the same

Because I'm gonna lose those 30 mp anyways, and I dont have any MDB/MDT belt, and INT+7 helps migrate some dmg vs elemental attacks ;O

INT vs INT in dmg calculations = more int = less dmg!:P
Not much, but better than anything else I have on me.

Also, true that legs only have +7 macc? >_> *** ***(as in, that sucks.)..
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Topdogg
Server: Gilgamesh
user: opti09
By Gilgamesh.Topdogg 2011-02-09 04:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey everyone now that it looks like im gonna be having alot of free time in the near future I want to give my black mage a complete overhawl in its effectiveness. In short I want to become one of the best black mages on my server.

In order to make this happen I need to improve my gear sets that I use greatly. some of them don't need much like my nuking set. others need a ton of crap like my idle set. but overall I think I need improvement in all areas and I can't do this all by my self easly.

I just posted all of my gear sets on my profile page (I left a few out like my cure set and my SS set but I don't think I need to post those). I just ask that some of you post like one or 2 gear pieces you would add/remove from a set and why.

I greatly appreciate your feedback for this and I look forward to your suggestions. :)

Edit:
Quote:
I macro the following gear in my nuking set based on some condistions:

Honestly its not all about the gear and lvls, its hands on skill and strategy and this goes for all jobs. Ive seen lvl 60 blms out perform lvl 90s mainly because they know what they are doing, also didnt burn it in astral or abyssea parties. Gear is an important factor also but knowing what to do in situations quickly and accurately is most important in "being the best blm".
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-09 08:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Topdogg said:
Honestly its not all about the gear and lvls, its hands on skill and strategy and this goes for all jobs. Ive seen lvl 60 blms out perform lvl 90s mainly because they know what they are doing, also didnt burn it in astral or abyssea parties. Gear is an important factor also but knowing what to do in situations quickly and accurately is most important in "being the best blm".
....so your saying I should stop asking for gear advice?

Yes skill > gear but knowing how/what to gear is a skill and I think I already have the skills your talking about because of the following:

* I Make sure i use the proper elements on any monster i face (I can't even tell you how many people I see who do not do this)

* I have kited many monsters both in solo and team setings.

* The only issue I have with doing crowd control is when the monsters in question are immune to sleep and even then I still am able to use bind/grav/break.

* There is NEVER a time when I never have echo drops or food on me. (also rr and poisen pots)

* I never die from hate Issues unless make said issue has a purpose (ex. a tank goes down and no one else can tank it. I would pull hate to kite said monster to give my other party member's time or Would try to do as much damage as possble before im taken down.)

* I use the skill that I said earlyer in gear management to make sure I am never resisted (back in the 75 level days when that ment something)

* Have a very good rate of stoping nm's from casting nasty spells/using tp moves using stun. (if I had to guess around 70%... 90%+ if im waiting for the nm to use said move)

Anyway My point is that I already have most of the skill needed to match or surpass at least 80~90% of the black mages in titan. the main thing I lack is gear and better gear management (knowing what to add to a few pop sets) thats why I made this thread.
[+]
 Asura.Alymorel
user: Alimorel
By Asura.Alymorel 2011-02-09 08:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanna be the very best

Like no one ever was

To catch them is my real test

To train them is my cause

I will travel across the land

Searching far and wide

Teach Pokemon to understand

The power that's inside

Pokemon!

Gotta catch 'em all--

It's you and me

I know it's my destiny

Pokemon!

Ooooh, you're my best friend

In a world we must defend

Pokemon!

Gotta catch 'em all--

Our hearts so true

Our courage will pull us through

You teach me and I'll teach you

Pokemon!

Gotta catch 'em all!

Gotta catch 'em all!

Yeeaa.

Every challenge along the way

With courage I can face

I will battle everyday

To claim my rightful place

Come with me the time is right

There's no better team

Arm in arm we'll win the fight

It's always been our dream

Pokemon!

Gotta catch 'em all--

It's you and me

I know it's my destiny

Pokemon!

Ooooh, you're my best friend

In a world we must defend

Pokemon!

Gotta catch 'em all--

Our hearts so true

Our courage will pull us through

You teach me and I'll teach you

Pokemon!

Gotta catch 'em all!

Gotta catch 'em all!

Pokemon!
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-09 08:23:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh and for the recored I did not abyssea burn this job. I leveled it like 2~3 years ago (before abyssea) back when leveling blm past 55 was like pulling teeth.
[+]
 Diabolos.Artfuldodger
By Diabolos.Artfuldodger 2011-02-09 08:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone else think we're due for a nuking grip that isn't lvl 60? I'm getting awfully tired of 1 INT, and screw the NM for Vivid Strap/+1. Even something like elemental grips with MAB instead of Macc would be worthwhile...
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-09 08:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Artfuldodger said:
Anyone else think we're due for a nuking grip that isn't lvl 60? I'm getting awfully tired of 1 INT, and screw the NM for Vivid Strap/+1. Even something like elemental grips with MAB instead of Macc would be worthwhile...
/ Tho I use the pax grip because tbh I don't think the damage increase of 1 int will beat the damage increase of -4 emnty worth of not pulling hate.

Also im saving up gil for the vivid strap +1 but it may be a lost cause.. I don't think anyone from titan is bothing with that nm.
[+]
 Ifrit.Hitoseijuro
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Hitoseijuro 2011-02-09 09:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Finishing your Varuna and completing the thunder one +2s would be your biggest improvement overall in one gear slot. It takes time, but well worth it. Completing anymore after ice/thunder would be solely based on preference and time.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-02-09 09:07:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh and for the recored I did not abyssea burn this job. I leveled it like 2~3 years ago (before abyssea) back when leveling blm past 55 was like pulling teeth.

I'm still waiting for my special snowflake medallion for finishing CoP when it was still hard. They say it's in the mail but I have passed out sixteen times holding my breath waiting....
[+]
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-09 09:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said:
I'm still waiting for my special snowflake medallion for finishing CoP when it was still hard. They say it's in the mail but I have passed out sixteen times holding my breath waiting....
Im not asking for a special reword. Nor am I saying that all people who astral burn/abyssea burn there jobs suck at them. Im only responding to Topdogg who seems to inply that I lack skill in gameplay when I don't.
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-09 09:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Hitoseijuro said:
Finishing your Varuna and completing the thunder one +2s would be your biggest improvement overall in one gear slot. It takes time, but well worth it. Completing anymore after ice/thunder would be solely based on preference and time.
almost done with varuna just need 101 more kills. Also what about the fire staff? untill the next cap increase thunder is my weakest nuke so maybe I should do that staff after fire.

I intend to do all the staffs but dark and earth in the end however.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6