Becoming the best
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-02-09 13:30:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Darkwizardzin said:
Ok the Varuna is now a varuna's staff +2...

Now enther thunder or fire...

Thunder. Don't see why you would NEED fire staff
Server: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-09 13:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Finalvegeta said:
Ok the Varuna is now a varuna's staff +2... Now enther thunder or fire...
Until the next level cap increase thunder is the weakest nuke we have and fire is the 2nd strongest thats why.
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-02-09 13:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but idk if its worth to get the fire staff just until next update. Can't speak for everyone but I pretty much only use Blizzard 5 or Thunder 4 (Does more dmg than Fire 5 cuz I got the magian for it). I guess if you are bored and got lots of time you could work on the Fire one. I personally wouldn't.
 Leviathan.Joyroth
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Joyroth 2011-02-09 14:15:05
Link | Quote | Reply

When I began to do my trials I started them all at once.
I remember a friend asking me why I did Earth and Water first. I told him it was because Black Mages gained access to Stone and Water Ja spells and Tier V's first. Needless to say, I had a feeling that Black Mages would get wind and fire spells next. Shortly then the other two staffs followed. I knew that once again Blizzard and Thunder will come back and reclaim the throne for the strongest elemental nukes. So I did those two while I was working on the others.
I can't wait to start nuking with Thunder V!
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-09 14:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Joyroth said:
When I began to do my trials I started them all at once.
I remember a friend asking me why I did Earth and Water first. I told him it was because Black Mages gained access to Stone and Water Ja spells and Tier V's first. Needless to say, I had a feeling that Black Mages would get wind and fire spells next. Shortly then the other two staffs followed. I knew that once again Blizzard and Thunder will come back and reclaim the throne for the strongest elemental nukes. So I did those two while I was working on the others.
I can't wait to start nuking with Thunder V!

Let's just hope we get a similar atma to beyond for thunder >_>
Both mab and elemental atk+ <3
 Leviathan.Joyroth
By Leviathan.Joyroth 2011-02-09 14:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

10k Thunder V Yes Please!
/enmity douse
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-02-09 14:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Joyroth said:
10k Thunder V Yes Please!
/enmity douse
Who needs Thunder V!

Have to admit this was a set proc tho =(

Leviathan.Joyroth
By Leviathan.Joyroth 2011-02-09 14:45:57
Link | Quote | Reply

LMAO! So you will do what 12k with Thunder V?
I wish I was a Taru ; . ;
I have only done 8890 so far.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-09 15:12:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Joyroth said:

I honestly doubt 5 more INT or whatever makes a difference that big :P
 Fenrir.Ilax
Server: Fenrir
user: FireDeath
By Fenrir.Ilax 2011-02-09 17:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Joyroth said:

Well base on last screenshot he did 13.5k =P question is more like, Thunder V will do 15k Oo lol no matter what, that is crazy nice damage Finalvegeta ^^
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-09 17:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Ilax said:
Leviathan.Joyroth said:

Well base on last screenshot he did 13.5k =P question is more like, Thunder V will do 15k Oo lol no matter what, that is crazy nice damage Finalvegeta ^^

Thunder V will do that much if it gets an atma similar too beyond, only then <_>
 Fenrir.Ilax
Server: Fenrir
user: FireDeath
By Fenrir.Ilax 2011-02-09 17:07:26
Link | Quote | Reply

/nod
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-09 17:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow those are some high numbers... Is that the set proc + the magic burst doing that? or just the magic burst?
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-02-09 17:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Until the next level cap increase thunder is the weakest nuke we have and fire is the 2nd strongest thats why.

Yeah except any blm worth their salt is using atma of the beyond, which will make blizz4 beat fire5, or be only slightly below it; I simply cycle blizz5, freeze2, and blizz4; blizz3 for faster nukes.

Though, I suppose it would be useful for Gefrysts since theyre ice elemental, but then I just thunder4, burst2. I just don't think it's worth the time to do it, I'd so rather be doing anything else than magian trials.
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-09 17:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Hohenheim said:
Yeah except any blm worth their salt is using atma of the beyond, which will make blizz4 beat fire5, or be only slightly below it; I simply cycle blizz5, freeze2, and blizz4; blizz3 for faster nukes.

Though, I suppose it would be useful for Gefrysts since theyre ice elemental, but then I just thunder4, burst2. I just don't think it's worth the time to do it, I'd so rather be doing anything else than magian trials.
I'd aggre that magian trials suck but I have no other way to improve my damage output. the only things left for my nuking set (other than what people have already posted) is novio and sorc ring... and I don't have that kind of gil (sorc ring price may have lowered but i still need to buy more gear to actavate the latent) Thus magian.

Plus this will help me in the long run. There are still monsters in this game were its best to only use 1~2 elements and those elements aren't not always gonna be ice and thunder.
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-02-09 17:27:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow those are some high numbers... Is that the set proc + the magic burst doing that? or just the magic burst?

10k is normal. 13k was a small set proc. Id like to see some 3 way sengikori sc with double dmg set proc. would easily do 30k. now THAT would be hot
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-09 17:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

10k is normal. 13k was a small set proc. Id like to see some 3 way sengikori sc with double dmg set proc. would easily do 30k. now THAT would be hot
Wow... I need to start getting my ls mates to do skill chains again. Im sure I can get close to that damage output.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-02-09 17:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd aggre that magian trials suck but I have no other way to improve my damage output. the only things left for my nuking set (other than what people have already posted) is novio and sorc ring... and I don't have that kind of gil (sorc ring price may have lowered but i still need to buy more gear to actavate the latent) Thus magian.

Plus this will help me in the long run. There are still monsters in this game were its best to only use 1~2 elements and those elements aren't not always gonna be ice and thunder.

Gil isn't hard to get; you could spent that time doing trials making gil to buy it instead. Sorc ring is arguably less useful inside abyssea (and really, only inside abyssea counts for anything at this time; there's simply nothing else to do) since you need 75% of hp before hp buffs, making you have 600-750/2k, which is terribly low for inside.

also, what monsters are there where it's best to not use ice or thunder? You have to remember too, these have to be monsters that are worth killing; kirin/suzaku/tiamat aren't really killed on a regular basis where it's worth the time invested just for the fights, not to mention the things can be killed easily with minimal people. You can do all the staves if you want (I might too if I get around to it, just because I can) but nuking 10-15% more on aero spells when fighting kirin..yeah cool sure it's the best, but so is enfeebling in an aureole; it really doesn't have practical effect.

Imo, too much time for terribly little gain, only to be used in terrible few(almost negligent) situations. If it was buying magian staffs, sure because gil can be gotten other ways, but there's no other ways to skip in magian trials..you really have to sit there killing mind-numbing crap.
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-09 17:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

any nm they has a clear affity to 1 element will have a good amount of resist aganst other elements that are not the element weak point.

For exsample: Im sure you don't cast bliz V on the tier 3 vnm in abyssea apelta.

And there are quite a few nms in abyssea and out who follow those same lines.

As for the gil bit tbh I've never found a good sorce of gil making. I tryed leveling a craft but I never got one past level 60 because of how much time/gil you have to invest in them to level/make of profit.

Farming never worked out for me enther seeing as mp made me have to rest all the time :/ I couldn't just attack a bunch of monsters like other DD jobs.

The way im making gil now is by loting gil items in abyssea ls events and that is not gonna make the mils of gil i need to get novio or sorc ring(with laten gear) any time soon.
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-02-09 17:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Gil isn't hard to get; you could spent that time doing trials making gil to buy it instead. Sorc ring is arguably less useful inside abyssea (and really, only inside abyssea counts for anything at this time; there's simply nothing else to do) since you need 75% of hp before hp buffs, making you have 600-750/2k, which is terribly low for inside.

also, what monsters are there where it's best to not use ice or thunder? You have to remember too, these have to be monsters that are worth killing; kirin/suzaku/tiamat aren't really killed on a regular basis where it's worth the time invested just for the fights, not to mention the things can be killed easily with minimal people. You can do all the staves if you want (I might too if I get around to it, just because I can) but nuking 10-15% more on aero spells when fighting kirin..yeah cool sure it's the best, but so is enfeebling in an aureole; it really doesn't have practical effect.

Imo, too much time for terribly little gain, only to be used in terrible few(almost negligent) situations. If it was buying magian staffs, sure because gil can be gotten other ways, but there's no other ways to skip in magian trials..you really have to sit there killing mind-numbing crap.

I still think Sorc. ring is worth it :p Imo you don't need the extra hp. Blm has nice defensive abilities now so dying shouldn't rly be a problem anymore. If the mob is going after you, be prepared, if you get hit by aoe, be smart and go out of range etc.
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2011-02-09 18:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

grab 1 or 2 friends go konschtat abyssea and do pearl azure and amber kills. should be able to get a lot of dark rings. atm a quite good gil source.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-02-09 18:01:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I still think Sorc. ring is worth it :p Imo you don't need the extra hp. Blm has nice defensive abilities now so dying shouldn't rly be a problem anymore. If the mob is going after you, be prepared, if you get hit by aoe, be smart and go out of range etc.

It's arguably less as I said before. With so much mab inside abyssea, 10 mab on ring has a much higher diminishing return than outside abyssea when compared to 7int ring now, and the trade off isn't worth it to me. Hell, why don't you just pop a fanatic's drink and a brew on every mob you kill?
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-02-09 18:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

any nm they has a clear affity to 1 element will have a good amount of resist aganst other elements that are not the element weak point.

For exsample: Im sure you don't cast bliz V on the tier 3 vnm in abyssea apelta.

And there are quite a few nms in abyssea and out who follow those same lines.

As for the gil bit tbh I've never found a good sorce of gil making. I tryed leveling a craft but I never got one past level 60 because of how much time/gil you have to invest in them to level/make of profit.

Farming never worked out for me enther seeing as mp made me have to rest all the time :/ I couldn't just attack a bunch of monsters like other DD jobs.

The way im making gil now is by loting gil items in abyssea ls events and that is not gonna make the mils of gil i need to get novio or sorc ring(with laten gear) any time soon.

Idk, I haven't killed t3 vnm in altepa. If ice doesn't work, then I'd just use thunder4 and burst2; you'll get thunder5 eventually and the time spent for the other staffs isn't worth it to me.

And gil well, you'll never be the best if you don't know how to make gil...I couldn't imagine you trying to buy the ingots for a morri robe back in the day, and gil is even easier to get than back then, which prices even cheaper.
 Cerberus.Starr
user: Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-02-09 18:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanna be the very best
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-02-09 18:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
I wanna be the very best

Get a claustrum for when you melee pearl lights!
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-02-09 18:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk, I haven't killed t3 vnm in altepa. If ice doesn't work, then I'd just use thunder4 and burst2
The nm is ifrit aka an avatar aka thunder will still have resists (not as much as ice would but resists would still nerf your damage)

Im not saying only getting 2 magian staffs is bad.. just that having the others would still be a payoff. If it wasn't no one would ever get HQ ele-staffs for anything but ice and thunder a long while back when they were worth alot.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-02-09 18:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk, I haven't killed t3 vnm in altepa. If ice doesn't work, then I'd just use thunder4 and burst2
The nm is ifrit aka an avatar aka thunder will still have resists (not as much as ice would but resists would still nerf your damage)

Im not saying only getting 2 magian staffs is bad.. just that having the others would still be a payoff. If it wasn't no one would ever get HQ ele-staffs for anything but ice and thunder a long while back when they were worth alot.

You can't compare hq to magian, because hq took 5 seconds to buy off ah(you could also get gil doing numerous other things to buy them), where as you have no choice but to grind out the magian staffs for the minimal bonuses. Unless you're fighting that t3 vnm 40 times a day all day every day, I would just get a hq staff and save yourself the trouble.

I'm not saying don't get them, but like, don't hold weight by them.
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-02-10 11:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow... I need to start getting my ls mates to do skill chains again. Im sure I can get close to that damage output.

If you have a sch in your alliance get them to do sc for you to mb on. Lots of fun :)
 Quetzalcoatl.Mikania
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Mikania
By Quetzalcoatl.Mikania 2011-02-10 11:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, getting more than 2 Magian Staves is a serious risk for brain damage. There are benefits for having them, but minimal return on investment. Generally Ice/Thunder would suffice on 'most' mob you'll encounter; however, if you have a lot of down time and not much to do go for all of them.
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-02-10 11:47:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from Varuna's with Beyond Atma (due to how Magian Staves are calculated) the Staves are the single biggest damage increase you can invest in, more than several pieces of gear. The problem is you're not going to use all 8 of them.

Ice/Thunder in 4 months/Dark are worth the investment if you're serious about blm, maybe Fire if you have time to spare, the others are result of boredom or dedication.