Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 21859 21860 21861 ... 22571 22572 22573
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-05-15 21:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Algebra is wild.

I remember learning really early on in my engineering classes how to calculate moment of inertia, which is an artificial value whose unit is a length to the power of four. And I just remember my brain trying to comprehend this arbitrary fourth dimension.

Fast-forward to today where I'm mathematically trying to organize various materials by contrasting mass, density, and yield strength. The final number I came up with was some combination of strength per mass, which came out to metres^6 per second squared.

...Incidentally, carbon fiber is overpowered as f**k. Most materials wound up being some two-digit number (for example, tanned leather is 67), with a few exceptions like steel at 153. But carbon fiber runs at 171429. Pls nerf!
[+]
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
Server: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2021-05-15 22:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah that’s why if you googled all the YouTube vids on space lifts or like towers to space to elevate goods, all the theoretical designs are purely carbon fiber

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Thunderjet 2021-05-16 02:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Pantafernando 2021-05-16 03:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahflaming said: »

Ow damn...

Thats expensive
[+]
By Dawnn 2021-05-16 08:13:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Algebra is wild.

I remember learning really early on in my engineering classes how to calculate moment of inertia, which is an artificial value whose unit is a length to the power of four. And I just remember my brain trying to comprehend this arbitrary fourth dimension.

Fast-forward to today where I'm mathematically trying to organize various materials by contrasting mass, density, and yield strength. The final number I came up with was some combination of strength per mass, which came out to metres^6 per second squared.

...Incidentally, carbon fiber is overpowered as f**k. Most materials wound up being some two-digit number (for example, tanned leather is 67), with a few exceptions like steel at 153. But carbon fiber runs at 171429. Pls nerf!

Not that I intend to make a discussion about it but investigate at your own discretion.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-16 10:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

It is the best possible time to get a slave labor job for slave labor pay after all.

Hope that works out, if it's what you want.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-16 10:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Have to take what you can get. Or start hookin' I guess. Walmart isn't the worst though.

It all sucks.

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-05-16 10:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Dawnn said: »

Not that I intend to make a discussion about it but investigate at your own discretion.
They've begun 3D-printing homes. I don't think it'll be too long before my entire line of work shifts from designing shop-fabricated trusses to 3D-printed trusses, and eventually to the printing of entire homes.

I actually did a project in my first year of college on that very topic. And that was just at the beginning of the 3DP trend.

If y'all thought houses were flimsy now, just wait until the engineers who write building codes start considering the safety factor of a material to be like 0.99.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-16 11:01:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The 3D printed housing stuff is kind of incredible.

They really need to start building whole towns like that. (cause moving the equipment is more than half the actual cost)

I know it's "dystopian" to have a whole town of identical houses but you have to realize... it's not dystopian, we're already in the dystopia.

Yeah, sure, people want and desire McMansions, and simple 1000 Sqft houses make very little profit, but it's all it takes to help 10s of millions in need.

... with a monorail and a subway, and buses. So dystopic indeed.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2021-05-16 12:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Freehugs said: »
I'm not really sure what other jobs I could hold out for unless you know of some an unqualified nobody can get.

Capacity Points 500JP/5M Jinpu 99999 Buy? /pst
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2021-05-16 13:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I worked at Walmart for 6 years when I was a teen, good luck señorita. Do you have an ideal department? I would say shoes is the least stress but also the most boring so I always worked electronics.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2021-05-16 15:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
I know it's "dystopian" to have a whole town of identical houses but you have to realize... it's not dystopian, we're already in the dystopia.
Levittown Dystopian identical housing since 1947.

[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-05-16 15:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, sure, people want and desire McMansions, and simple 1000 Sqft houses make very little profit, but it's all it takes to help 10s of millions in need.
One of the things I learned during research was how they can 3D print by mixing mud, saltwater, and a small amount of special cement to make a house as strong as brick-and-mortar. Could you imagine building a house out of materials that are found literally at the site anywhere in the world?

Exciting stuff :)
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-16 15:36:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I posted a video of that, like last year. In this thread, it's super buried.

Fascinating, really.

I'd be more than satisfied with one, but there's so much (purposeful) obstruction. There are so many rules to keep you from just erecting whatever the *** you want to live in. In the name of "safety" but it's just money. (well I mean you can move out to the middle of BFE Wyoming and do it...)
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-05-16 16:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

There are so many rules to keep you from just erecting whatever the *** you want to live in. In the name of "safety" but it's just money.
I don't know if it's either of those things, really. I think building codes are mostly just to keep everything sort of consistent without having to teach everyone every little thing about building a house.

Like, where I live we're mandated to have huge insulation values because anything less than R60 just hemorrhages heat in 40-below. And while it would be cool to say "Pick whatever insulation you want, but we recommend _____", to do that with every possible decision made while building a house would fry a customer's brain. Next thing you know, their 600sqft bungalow is going to cost like 8 million dollars and they'd have no clue where to cut costs.

Most code outside of structural tends to have some leniency anyway. For the most part, if you know what you want, you can discuss it with an architect. And if what you're asking will bend a rule, you can sometimes have it overruled by an engineer. If nothing else they should at least be able to tell you why your idea sucks lol
[+]
By Dawnn 2021-05-16 21:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I posted a video of that, like last year. In this thread, it's super buried.

Fascinating, really.

I'd be more than satisfied with one, but there's so much (purposeful) obstruction. There are so many rules to keep you from just erecting whatever the *** you want to live in. In the name of "safety" but it's just money. (well I mean you can move out to the middle of BFE Wyoming and do it...)

Missouri has very little building regulations, you are expected to build things to code, but it's not mandated as far as I know.

TBH the dream right now, atleast for myself, is to move way off into the Ozark mountains and be off grid. I'm done with these failed states and their cities. Time to leave Babylon.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
Comment: Political oriented post, which is against Da Rules.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-16 21:59:57
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2021-05-17 00:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Levittown Dystopian identical housing since 1947.

Well, that's gonna be stuck in my head all day. Like it better than the Malvina Reynolds one too, though hers ain't bad.
[+]
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2021-05-17 01:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

*CRA (Canada iRS) has shitty 9-5 mon-fri website (???) hours*

*they go down for maintenance from May 14-17*

*at 10:32pm Saturday May 16 they email me saying there is an urgent notice on my tax return assessment*

*load up the website, splash screen says “we are down for maintenance but even if we weren’t, Monday to Friday and daytime, dipshit”*

[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-05-17 01:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Dawnn said: »

They've begun 3D-printing homes. I don't think it'll be too long before my entire line of work shifts from designing shop-fabricated trusses to 3D-printed trusses, and eventually to the printing of entire homes.

I actually did a project in my first year of college on that very topic. And that was just at the beginning of the 3DP trend.

If y'all thought houses were flimsy now, just wait until the engineers who write building codes start considering the safety factor of a material to be like 0.99.

I'm more worried about the Joe Schmo with a 3D printer thinking "well ***, I can do that!" and start selling DIY kits with improper material'ed parts.

I do super small stuff with 3D printing in my industry- its a lifesaver when restoring old instruments who's parts haven't been made in 40+ years. Doesn't sound like much, but something as simple as the taper of a screw can be unique for a single manufacturer from decades ago and a working replacement simply doesn't exist any more. 3D printing makes such restorations now cost-effective. I dont' even want to imagine the machines required to 3D print something capable of structural support vs holding together a bassoon^^
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-05-17 01:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Got a Pikachu Blue LE N64 w/ two controllers (new thumbsticks installed already) and the memory pak for $189 shipped from Japan. PeepoWow
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2021-05-17 04:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah but do you have the thing to plug in the controller so you can port your pokemon from blue/red to colosseum?
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-05-17 05:50:03
Link | Quote | Reply

still have that bad boy from my original n64

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 ... 21859 21860 21861 ... 22571 22572 22573