I find it interesting that you refer to your own actions as unprofessional, but you're ok with those actions, yet you're not ok with the "unprofessional" actions of otehrs, well the ones you don't agree with that is.
Considering Oxford is a community of academic prodigies and scholars that can establish structured language and what does and does not fit in, and Urban Dictionary is an open source, public vote system made to define things simply by unrestricted submission speaks for itself.
I understand that, well worded, as usual.
But I am of the opinion that we are the architects of our lives. We construct our own realities, and we should continue to construct these realities until the day we die.
The fact that an elite group of middle-aged caucasian males have the final word on language, something that we all use, is sad.
Sandolfucius say: In 75 years, netspeak will be as revered as proper English is now. Mark my words.
The only reason it bugs me really is because the words and lingo have one common denominator: the internet. An isolated, albeit vast and widely used telecommunication tool throughout the world, but isolated in terms of origin and use outside of foolhardy and awkward social faux pas in spoken word. As to how or why it belongs as a defined dictionary word despite popularity or having particular definition is beyond me. Just because acronyms or mutilated words that already exist and corporate name-attache terms are flung around regularly online doesn't necessarily qualify it for being a defined and established word for an entire language.
Especially since internet speak is practically becoming a language of it's own. Attaching it to the English language is just silly in my opinion.
I see the internet as merely the medium. Common words now were transferred by media. Television, telephones, movies, books; tracing back to the genesis of language, media have paved the way, the internet is just the next tool in a long, long line of communication devices.
Since language is a means of communication and the internet is a communication tool, then its only proper that the internet become a generator for language. And likewise, language fuels the web, as well. The relationship is symbiotic, and productive, imo.
Considering Oxford is a community of academic prodigies and scholars that can establish structured language and what does and does not fit in, and Urban Dictionary is an open source, public vote system made to define things simply by unrestricted submission speaks for itself.
I understand that, well worded, as usual.
But I am of the opinion that we are the architects of our lives. We construct our own realities, and we should continue to construct these realities until the day we die.
The fact that an elite group of middle-aged caucasian males have the final word on language, something that we all use, is sad.
Sandolfucius say: In 75 years, netspeak will be as revered as proper English is now. Mark my words.
The only reason it bugs me really is because the words and lingo have one common denominator: the internet. An isolated, albeit vast and widely used telecommunication tool throughout the world, but isolated in terms of origin and use outside of foolhardy and awkward social faux pas in spoken word. As to how or why it belongs as a defined dictionary word despite popularity or having particular definition is beyond me. Just because acronyms or mutilated words that already exist and corporate name-attache terms are flung around regularly online doesn't necessarily qualify it for being a defined and established word for an entire language.
Especially since internet speak is practically becoming a language of it's own. Attaching it to the English language is just silly in my opinion.
I see the internet as merely the medium. Common words now were transferred by media. Television, telephones, movies, books; tracing back to the genesis of language, media have paved the way, the internet is just the next tool in a long, long line of communication devices.
Since language is a means of communication and the internet is a communication tool, then its only proper that the internet become a generator for language. And likewise, language fuels the web, as well. The relationship is symbiotic, and productive, imo.
All very true, but I guess we'll have to blame pubescent teenagers hiding behind a veil of anonymity and pictures of cats with random captions for the degenerative direction our "language" has taken.
I suppose you wonder why I've brought you here today. It's a very special day, you see. Today we're gonna end up losing our div privileges due to spamming their use! Isn't it wonderful?!
I suppose you wonder why I've brought you here today. It's a very special day, you see. Today we're gonna end up losing our div privileges due to spamming their use! Isn't it wonderful?!
Damn you guys are raising the bar too high for Sagi now :/
This is a thread that I found on another website I post at. It can be really really interesting. I thought it deserved a place here.
Post your random thoughts for the day here, or anything else that intrigues you.
For starters, is it possible to give constructive critism to someone who doesn't have a neck? I totally just walked by a girl who didn't. Someone isn't getting a necklace for Valentines day!
And who decided black and white can't be colors? I want to say a racist. I really do.