Non-Lowman Abyssea rage thread
First Page 2 3
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-27 11:36:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sick of people talking about what they can kill with 2 people or when people freak out if you play with more than 6 people.

Could I duo (as WHM) most ***with my MNK friends (or NIN or THF etc)? Yes.
Do we duo stuff often? Sure it's fun.

Believe it or not, people do not need permission from FFXIAH.com to play with friends. Everyone hold on I'm about to shock you, sometimes I play with 13 other friends AT THE SAME TIME omg I know I have so many problems how dare me help more than myself or one other friend at a time on this MMO game.

Should we not be allowed to ever party with friends or help friends who do not have specific jobs?

"Oh, I'm sorry of the absolute minimum jobs required to maximize efficiency I no longer have a requirement to 'use' you as a friend. The only jobs I am interested in are MNK WHM NIN BLU BLM BRD WAR gieven the current state of the game you either do not have one of these jobs or we have already filled that spot please get out of my life I would not want to disappoint FFXIAH.com"

You are not special because you lowman, you are not special because you duo in Abyssea, to think that people who run in god forbid a partial or full alliance are incapable or that they never lowman is just plain ignorant. This newest form of elitism is *** hilarious to me because it doesn't even require someone to be elite other than an attitude. At least the older era of elitism actually did ***not everyone else could do or was doing or was willing to do. Lowmanning/duo is literally being done by most of the population playing the game it's nothing special it's not as if there is a few select set of people with such uber skills and gear that only them alone are able to do this.

What exactly do people get out of making statements about people playing with more than 4 people? Why do people constantly go out of their way to let people know how they lowman a number of NMs in Abyssea?

Yes it is more "efficient" to have fewer people come with the most ideal job roles to kill and/or proc depending on the purpose of the party. No one is arguing this, no one is trying to debate this.

Sometimes the roles additional people have outside those jobs are less useful but this does not mean you need to tell them to go crawl in a corner and die. It does not mean you are no longer allowed to help more people out at a time, this does not mean you have to limit the people you socialize with or party with. Or here's another insane concept, not every single friend or person plays the game 24/7 or they do not ALL play on the exact same schedule. Having more than the tiny limited amount of friends I'm allocated by FFXIAH.com people could actually change jobs and fill different roles depending on who was online.

tl;dr

What people need to *** understand is there is an obvious difference between choosing to party with 7+ people and a requirement to party with 7+ people to get ***done. Just because someone plays in a group of 7 or more does not mean they can't do ***without the group.

/rant
/nerdrage

//calming down

thread was inspired from countless posts but most recently:
Quote:
I can't really speak to how it is in big groups, although if you're doing something in a group of over 6, you have bigger problems to deal with!

inb4floodofratedownsidc
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-27 11:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't read the wall of text

Quote:
I'm pretty sick of people talking about what they can kill with 2 people or when people freak out if you play with more than 6 people.

It's not that. It's when people think you need more than lowman. If you want to bring friends, that's fine. When you are shouting for random people, and are like 6/??? and you can kill the Nm w/ the 6 you have, why the *** are you bringing more people to lot ***?
[+]
 Kujata.Rhydia
Server: Kujata
user: Rhydill
By Kujata.Rhydia 2011-01-27 11:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI the M2ORPG (Massively 2-player Online RPG)
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-27 11:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Quote:

It's not that. It's when people think you need more than lowman. If you want to bring friends, that's fine. When you are shouting for random people, and are like 6/??? and you can kill the Nm w/ the 6 you have, why the *** are you bringing more people to lot ***?

I'm not talking about people who feel they actually need to use more than 6 if you had read what I wrote you would have known this.

I even specifically called this out differentiating the two:
Quote:
to think that people who run in god forbid a partial or full alliance are incapable or that they never lowman is just plain ignorant

I'm simply talking about if a group of more than 6 is doing anything people assume (especially here on forums) that the group of 6+ people require more than 6 people to accomplish whatever they are doing.

It's just not true.

The quote at the bottom of my OP clearly does not say anything about the need of more than 6 it just simply says any group more than 6.
[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-01-27 11:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Me thinks this thread was targeting our elitist trolls....
[+]
Server: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-01-27 11:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:
but those are shout group people they are shouting for. You have no idea what the skill level is for the people in your shout party so yes you should bring more then what is "needed".
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-27 11:49:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Quote:

I'm not talking about people who feel they actually need to use more than 6 if you had read what I wrote you would have known this.

I'm simply talking about if a group of more than 6 is doing anything people assume (especially here on forums) that the group of 6+ people require more than 6 people to accomplish whatever they are doing.

It's just not true.

The quote at the bottom of my OP clearly does not say anything about the need of more than 6 it just simply says any group more than 6.
Well, provided you have people with jobs that matter, could keep ally up and just split up within the zone and hit more NMs at once, than have a bunch of ppl sitting there useless all doing the same NM
[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-01-27 11:54:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Or, you could not bring ENOUGH people with the right jobs, get charmed on Rani after you pop a brew and wipe the hand full of people you brought with you....
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-27 11:55:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Or, you could not bring ENOUGH people with the right jobs, get charmed on Rani after you pop a brew and wipe the hand full of people you brought with you....
Suck less?
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-01-27 11:56:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

You are not special because you lowman, you are not special because you duo in Abyssea. Thinking that people who run in (god forbid) a partial or full alliance are incapable (or that they never lowman) is just plain ignorant. This newest form of elitism is *** hilarious to me because it doesn't even require someone to be elite other than in attitude.

What people need to *** understand is there is an obvious difference between choosing to party with 7+ people vs. a need to party with 7+ people to get ***done. Just because someone plays in a group of 7 (or more) does not mean they can't do ***without the group.

You, sir, are my hero for today.
You could not possibly be more spot-on in your assessment.
F*ck the wanna-be elitists.
Their burning need to feel artificially powerful or superior in a game is a glaringly obvious front to cover up some frightening psycho-emotional issues and/or dearth of a sex life.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-27 11:57:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Quote:

It's just not true.

Well, provided you have people with jobs that matter, could keep ally up and just split up within the zone and hit more NMs at once, than have a bunch of ppl sitting there useless all doing the same NM

Well one clear example would be a zone win or a caturae win, people wanting to help the maximum number of people at the same time, which has a requirement that they are within exp range.

Another flaw with your rebuttal is you are assuming that all friends in the ally have the right jobs to make 2 equally efficient parties. i.e. 2x WHM 2x BLU 2x Tank 2x BLM x2 BRD or /BRD (if you could land it)

Yea sometimes it does work out that you can have 2x trigger jobs for each small group in an ally it's super efficient and kicks *** for seal run as an example but that's just not always plausible. Sometimes you can also (if you only had 1 BLU) jump from 1 NM to the next doing triggers but it can sometimes be a pain or slow holding the NM for that long.

Lastly, I also said in my OP:
Quote:
Yes it is more "efficient" to have fewer people come with the most ideal job roles to kill and/or proc depending on the purpose of the party. No one is arguing this, no one is trying to debate this.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-01-27 11:58:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said:

Cause a charmed guy capping pdif on melee attacks sure is devastating to a party.
[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-01-27 11:59:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Suck less?

I would think so too. I just heard the shouts in port jueno about a mnk *cough* being *tiger* charmed by Rani and wipin his group. Idk though, wasn't there.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-27 12:00:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Suck less?

I would think so too. I just heard the shouts in port jueno about a mnk *cough* being *tiger* charmed by Rani and wipin his group. Idk though, wasn't there.
Well, I didn't brew it, so good way to make assumptions. I have Epona's ring. Why would I waste a brew? and yes, I got charmed. We didn't wipe, however.

Good assumptions, though.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-27 12:01:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
F*ck the wanna-be elitists.
Are you saying you want to *** yourself?

What exactly is fun about having more people than you need on a given NM? I'm not talking a couple extra bodies, I'm talking more on your 14-man scale here. Sitting around doing next to nothing is not fun in my book, and given a group of that size I'd prefer half the group on one NM and half the group on another. Doesn't prevent you from socializing in any way, you're getting more done, and there's greater opportunities for everyone to get involved.

And, uh... whoever said they were special for lowmanning? The same people that talk about that kind of lowmanning are the same ones who continually mention how easy the game is. You undermine your post with such words.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-27 12:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Another flaw with your rebuttal is you are assuming that all friends in the ally have the right jobs to make 2 equally efficient parties. i.e. 2x WHM 2x BLU 2x Tank 2x BLM x2 BRD or /BRD (if you could land it)

No flaw in that. Why? Because I already touched on it
Quote:
Well, provided you have people with jobs that matter,

[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-01-27 12:02:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Suck less?
Well, I didn't brew it, so good way to make assumptions. I have Epona's ring. Why would I waste a brew? and yes, I got charmed. We didn't wipe, however. Good assumptions, though.
wasn't an assumption, read mah post. It was the shouts I heard. Oh, and congrats on your Epona's ring^^
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-27 12:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
You need sufficiently capable parties, not equally capable ones. Not like you can't swap members back and forth if absolutely necessary.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-27 12:04:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had Epona's for a long time now, lol, but thanks.

And yes, you made an assumption. Nowhere in that shout does it say I popped a brew.
[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-01-27 12:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

There's ALWAYS more than 1 way to skin a cat. The important thing isn't what you're doing, but who you're doing it with. Can alternate strats to the jobs your friends enjoy playing the most.
[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-01-27 12:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
I've had Epona's for a long time now, lol, but thanks. And yes, you made an assumption. Nowhere in that shout does it say I popped a brew.
The shouts were going on as ya'll were in Altep... Ya'll had some spectators. Idk how you can be in 2 places at the same time, but then, you're Tiger, so I guess anything possible
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-27 12:13:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, I know there were spectators, my shell ganked one from someone, so at least 18 spectators, lol.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-27 12:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

What exactly is fun about having more people than you need on a given NM? I'm not talking a couple extra bodies, I'm talking more on your 14-man scale here. Sitting around doing next to nothing is not fun in my book, and given a group of that size I'd prefer half the group on one NM and half the group on another. Doesn't prevent you from socializing in any way, you're getting more done, and there's greater opportunities for everyone to get involved.

This game used to be different, people use to help each other to help each other. I have no doubt this still exists, even from people who it would seem do not help others I still think they do but they think of Abyssea differently for some reason.

Have you ever helped a friend on a mission you had already beat?
You ever help a friend with a quest you did not need?
You ever help a friend get old AF?

Why did you help them if you got nothing in return? Wouldn't it have been more efficient to get more gear etc for your character if you had not helped them? Would anyone put you down for taking the time to help them?

Why is this so much different? I can't help a friend with get gear for their BST because it does not offer much help in getting triggers? That's just silly.

The community used to be huge on helping people out that's what made this game different than other MMOs the fact that you used to not be able to solo for exp and the fact that you used to work as a team etc.

I don't only play to get gear, I play to have fun, I play to have fun with cool people I meet, countless people have helped me throughout my FFXI career on both my characters from different servers over the years. I try to help as many people as I can with the limitations I have. The only thing I ask for in return is to not be taken advantage of, I don't demand something back right away but if it ends up being a 1 way street for a long time then something needs to change.

Lastly, I'm not asking you or anyone else to play with more people, I'm not asking you to help more people what I'm asking of the FFXIAH.com community is to not judge or insult someone based solely on the fact that they play in a group of more than 6 like stated in the bottom of my OP. I do not put anyone down for lowmanning or duoing (I'm literally saying we all do this) I am also not asking anyone to change how they play or telling them that the number of people they are playing with is wrong.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-01-27 12:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I think ya'll are completely missing Tweeek's intent.

He's telling you to get off your "high horse" when you say things like "you needed more than 2 people to kill X monster? You obviously must suck ***."

Basically, pretty much anyone can duo Abyssea NMs. That doesn't mean there's something WRONG with someone if they (omg) admit they used more than 2 people to defeat/fight something. It ALSO DOESN'T mean that just because someone OPTS to fight a monster with more than 2 people, that they CAN'T do it with just 2 people.

In other words, the whole "if you aren't dual-boxing to get your AF3 seals by yourself, you're doing it wrong" attitude is already a pathetic cliche. The wanna-be elitists are clinging on to that attitude because FFXI is generally easier and more accessible now to a greater percentage of the playerbase.

I'm so sorry for the wanna-be elitists now ... they'll have to realize that FFXI is now about having simple fun, and no longer about masturbating and self-appreciation.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-27 12:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Who are you talking to
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-01-27 12:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Truth.

I dual box abyssea because I have two accounts and it's convenient with my schedule. But the people that put others down because they are using more than a lowman party are just sad.

These are the same people that put others down because of gear choices, but now they found a new vice.
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-01-27 12:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Lastly, I'm not asking you or anyone else to play with more people, I'm not asking you to help more people what I'm asking of the FFXIAH.com community is to not judge or insult someone based solely on the fact that they play in a group of more than 6 like stated in the bottom of my OP. I do not put anyone down for lowmanning or duoing (I'm literally saying we all do this) I am also not asking anyone to change how they play or telling them that the number of people they are playing with is wrong.

Pretty sure that the situation Nightfyre means, is, for example, a group of 12-18 people fighting an nm. Got a tank on it full time. A healer or two. Maybe a couple dd's weaponskilling on it. And 10 other people not doing anything at all. The question is, what is fun about going somewhere, standing there, then leaving - especially when you could do something else. It doesn't mean they're not helping - they're already no helping. It doesn't mean they're not being social - /l /p /t vent, teamspeak, skype, etc.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-27 12:35:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree in that sense as well. 0 reason to have anyone standing there doing nothing.

At least farm some *** TEs or key items from gold chests or something.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-27 12:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
This game used to be different, people use to help each other to help each other. I have no doubt this still exists, even from people who it would seem do not help others I still think they do but they think of Abyssea differently for some reason.
lolwut. Yes it still occurs, and no Abyssea did not change anything. I spent an unusually large amount of time online the past couple weekends (and some days in between) for the sole purpose of getting my friends their Verethragna and Ukonvasara. The only item of value I received during the entirety of my time in Tahrongi/Attohwa was Ocelot Trousers, which I'd intended for my MNK friend to receive. The only reason they're in my inventory is because he refused to lot, insisting that I do so instead since I'd built two Usurper pops on my own time and spent so much time helping him pop/kill NMs.

Quote:
Have you ever helped a friend on a mission you had already beat?
You ever help a friend with a quest you did not need?
You ever help a friend get old AF?
Yes. The difference between them receiving aid and 14 people on a NM now is that everyone made a significant contribution in the above examples whereas half the people in an alliance are basically going to be sitting on their *** vs a single Abyssea NM. Granted, we didn't bring 18 people to farm a single chest key either.

Quote:
Why did you help them if you got nothing in return? Wouldn't it have been more efficient to get more gear etc for your character if you had not helped them? Would anyone put you down for taking the time to help them?
Strawmanning. Increase in efficiency is only one benefit of lowmanning, greater opportunity to participate is another. You make us sound selfish when that is really not the case. Also, I really don't think any of the posters you're trying to make this thread about would turn away freely offered help.

Quote:
whine whine whine
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-27 12:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Terminus said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

Pretty sure that the situation Nightfyre means, is, for example, a group of 12-18 people fighting an nm. Got a tank on it full time. A healer or two. Maybe a couple dd's weaponskilling on it. And 10 other people not doing anything at all. The question is, what is fun about going somewhere, standing there, then leaving - especially when you could do something else. It doesn't mean they're not helping - they're already no helping. It doesn't mean they're not being social - /l /p /t vent, teamspeak, skype, etc.
^
[+]
First Page 2 3