Abyssea - Best Party Setups?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » Abyssea - Best Party Setups?
Abyssea - Best Party Setups?
 Ifrit.Vextra
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-09-01 05:52:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dissonant said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
The amount of bad DNC in Abyssea is staggering. It's sad because the job can do so well when it's used right.
This is why I examine people before I invite them. You can tell a lot by how someone is geared, though lots of people will beg to differ. It's not about seeing if someone has "good" gear, it's about seeing if they have "smart" gear. Walahra turban is smart. Denali bonnet, not so much. TPing in dusk gloves is smart. TPing in Aurore gloves, not so much. A BLU in a STR magian sword is smart. BLU in a magian macc sword...well, that's for a different thread. ;-; See my point, though? I don't care if you have a damn Apocalypse or Bravura, if you're wearing an askar helm, you're not being smart and I can't trust you to perform well. (I saw an apocalypse askar hat drk the other day FoVing...QQ)

nothing wrong with wearing askar solo, get over yourself
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-01 05:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
The amount of bad DNC in Abyssea is staggering. It's sad because the job can do so well when it's used right.
This is why I examine people before I invite them. You can tell a lot by how someone is geared, though lots of people will beg to differ. It's not about seeing if someone has "good" gear, it's about seeing if they have "smart" gear. Walahra turban is smart. Denali bonnet, not so much. TPing in dusk gloves is smart. TPing in Aurore gloves, not so much. A BLU in a STR magian sword is smart. BLU in a magian macc sword...well, that's for a different thread. ;-; See my point, though? I don't care if you have a damn Apocalypse or Bravura, if you're wearing an askar helm, you're not being smart and I can't trust you to perform well. (I saw an apocalypse askar hat drk the other day FoVing...QQ)

My exact sentiment. I only ever become an elitist when there's yet another DD using Askar Zuchetto, or something like that.

Smart gearing is part of the skill in this game, and some people with a ton of good gear and money literally have no idea how to gear at all.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-01 05:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Vextra said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Sylph.Siccmade
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2010-09-01 05:57:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

My exact sentiment. I only ever become an elitist when there's yet another DD using Askar Zuchetto, or something like that.

Smart gearing is part of the skill in this game, and some people with a ton of good gear and money literally have no idea how to gear at all.
Fair enough but if you /check somebody before you invite you still aren't going to see what they TP in. Dusk Gloves are a great example of that, why would you wear dusk if your not engaged.
 Leviathan.Dissonant
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-01 05:57:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Vextra said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Come on, he had Apocalypse. How are you going to tell me that guy isn't some kind of elitist? If you're going to be elite and work towards crazy *** stuff, you should also make sure your basic gear is optimal. He opened himself to that kind of criticism because he clearly showed an interest in his gear by having things like ebody and apocalypse, though it very well may be that he doesn't actually use it anywhere important.
 Ifrit.Vextra
Server: Ifrit
user: Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-09-01 05:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Vextra said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Come on, he had Apocalypse. How are you going to tell me that guy isn't some kind of elitist? If you're going to be elite and work towards crazy *** stuff, you should also make sure your basic gear is optimal. He opened himself to that kind of criticism because he clearly showed an interest in his gear by having things like ebody and apocalypse, though it very well may be that he doesn't actually use it anywhere important.

very well carry on
 Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-01 05:58:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Siccmade said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Fair enough but if you /check somebody before you invite you still aren't going to see what they TP in. Dusk Gloves are a great example of that, why would you wear dusk if your not engaged.
Oh, I tell people I invite that I would like to see their gear beforehand. I'm well aware people like to idle in gear for fashionability/convenience.
[+]
 Sylph.Siccmade
By Sylph.Siccmade 2010-09-01 06:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Siccmade said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Oh, I tell people I invite that I would like to see their gear beforehand. I'm well aware people like to idle in gear for fashionability/convenience.
No you don't. That would be silly.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-01 06:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Siccmade said:
Sylph.Siccmade said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

No you don't. That would be silly.

No it's not. I've done the same. Ask to see their gear first, if they don't want to show you obviously they're feeling guilty for something.

Skill > Gear
but
Skill and gear > Skill or gear.
 Sylph.Siccmade
By Sylph.Siccmade 2010-09-01 06:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Are we talking about a Abyssea party?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-01 06:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Siccmade said:
Are we talking about a Abyssea party?

Nah, I'll check what they're wearing before though. I won't ask to see TP gear or WS gear, if they're generally well geared I don't care.

An invalid with no hands can do abyssea without difficulty.
 Sylph.Siccmade
By Sylph.Siccmade 2010-09-01 06:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, yet and still, it's just exp.
You don't need top notch gears to get levels.
Saying that you would check everyone before you invite them is silly, that point still stands.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-01 06:13:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Siccmade said:
Saying that you would check everyone before you invite them is silly, that point still stands.

Not really. Why would I take a 10k p/hr bird party when I could easily be getting double that with good DD?
 Sylph.Siccmade
By Sylph.Siccmade 2010-09-01 06:19:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Not really. Why would I take a 10k p/hr bird party when I could easily be getting double that with good DD?
I'm not sure how to answer that, do the majority of DD you party with suck?
Even if you double that, 20k/hour is still bad lmao.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-01 06:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Siccmade said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
I'm not sure how to answer that, do the majority of DD you party with suck?
Even if you double that, 20k/hour is still bad lmao.

Exactly my point

'easily' is the optimal word here.

Why get yet another DD with Askar Zuchetto when he could actually have good gear and bump the EXP. The point still stands however it's not worth having bad player for bad EXP when it takes a bit longer to find good DD that can make the EXP far better.
 Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-01 06:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Siccmade said:
Oh, I thought you were being sarcastic when you said it's silly to check peoples' gear. Like I said, it's not about having top-notch gear, it's about not being geared stupidly. I don't think everyone needs a hauby+1 or an ebody or hecatomb cap, as long as they aren't wearing stupid stuff like attack gloves when there are haste gloves easily available to anyone (this excludes MNKs who can cap their haste without gloves). Hell yes I will check someone's gear because I don't want to go out and have a failure of a party because every other guy thought it was cool to wear full aurore and end up getting 20k per hour in an abyssea party which can easily hit 50k/hr, no that's not an exaggeration.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-01 06:28:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Siccmade said:
Oh, I thought you were being sarcastic when you said it's silly to check peoples' gear. Like I said, it's not about having top-notch gear, it's about not being geared stupidly. I don't think everyone needs a hauby+1 or an ebody or hecatomb cap, as long as they aren't wearing stupid stuff like attack gloves when there are haste gloves easily available to anyone (this excludes MNKs who can cap their haste without gloves). Hell yes I will check someone's gear because I don't want to go out and have a failure of a party because every other guy thought it was cool to wear full aurore and end up getting 20k per hour in an abyssea party which can easily hit 50k/hr, no that's not an exaggeration.

Oh god wat?!
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-09-01 06:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a question, as I only had/have a few jobs to level up in abyssea, and no merits needed, so I dont have too much experience with exp/merit-parties in abyssea.
Do people expect all melees to /nin?
People seemed to rage at me for going SAM/DRG the other day >_>
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-01 06:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
I got a question, as I only had/have a few jobs to level up in abyssea, and no merits needed, so I dont have too much experience with exp/merit-parties in abyssea.

Full DD imo.

No point in /nin most of the mobs are dead so fast.
 Asura.Rinkydink
Server: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-09-01 06:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

ive NEVER EVER gone /nin either on war or drg or even corsair..

only the puller in theory needs to be /nin.

the more u can damage output the better and quicker the exp.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-09-01 06:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:

Full DD imo.

What I was trying to tell them -_-
Guess everybody else just sucked too much..
Ended up tanking after 1 gekko with Soboro lol
 Sylph.Siccmade
By Sylph.Siccmade 2010-09-01 06:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Exactly my point

Why get yet another DD with Askar Zuchetto when he could actually have good gear and bump the EXP. The point still stands however it's not worth having bad player for bad EXP when it takes a bit longer to find good DD that can make the EXP far better.
I don't disagree with better exp/hour, of course.
I do however disagree with judging a player by gear as opposed to skill.
We have come full circle, I think it is silly to check people before you invite them, you don't.
Not much more to be said. Although, I hope your gear is fkn aces lol.
 Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-01 06:30:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Definitely sub whatever is best for DD for your job. I don't let people bring /nin unless they're a THF, myself. BRD, too, I guess. <,<
 Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-01 06:33:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Siccmade said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Exactly my point

We have come full circle, I think it is silly to check people before you invite them, you don't.
Gearing your character is a skill, my point was that it's usually pretty easy to tell if someone is going to perform well by their gear. Plus, I get a little bit of info just by the way they speak with me and react to my request.

EDIT: but you are right, we disagree and that won't likely change.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-01 06:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Siccmade said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Exactly my point

The thing is, part of the skill is knowing how to gear. I think you're thinking that I want all DD to have the ABSOLUTE best gear available, but that's not true at all. I just want a DD to be able to gear intelligently. Using a clearly inferior piece that costs more than a better piece just tells me one thing: That person has no idea about his job.

For example... A Monk wearing aurore hands and legs I would accept without any care in the world even though he doesn't have B.Haidate or Black belt.

A Sam wearing Askar Zuchetto I wouldn't invite because it shows he has no idea how to gear.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-09-01 06:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:

Full DD imo.

People are stupid, remember everyone telling all DD to go /nin in greater colibri camps? /sigh
 Leviathan.Dissonant
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-01 06:35:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
For example... A Monk wearing aurore hands and legs I would accept without any care in the world even though he doesn't have B.Haidate or Black belt.

A Sam wearing Askar Zuchetto I wouldn't invite because it shows he has no idea how to gear.
That is a really good example, just thought I'd throw that out there.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-09-01 06:38:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:

Full DD imo.

People are stupid, remember everyone telling all DD to go /nin in greater colibri camps? /sigh

Yeah, fts >_> Only DD I ever sub NIN on is MNK lol
 Sylph.Siccmade
By Sylph.Siccmade 2010-09-01 06:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Now i have to know, why exactly you wouldn't invite them?
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-09-01 06:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Siccmade said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Now i have to know, why exactly you wouldn't invite them?

Because turban is better and easier to get, so using askar is a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE choice.