Abyssea - The exp camps
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-08-20 04:49:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I figured I'll post my experience and opinions about the exp camps in abyssea. The ones I have tried atleast. I know other ppl might have different experience with camps than I have, and it would be nice to get your input as well.

*I dont know how to make tables and such, so I will just list the stuff here*

Everyone is welcome to post their own favourite camp, opinions about the camps listed already, or which camps to avoid at all costs

Tahrongi Canyon

Pachypodium - Mandragora family.

Squishy mobs that only uses Scream (MND down) and Leaf Dagger (Poison) as TP moves, they also use Head Butt and Wild Oats. Head Butt does a bit under 200 damage to Lv.80 melee without Berserk up.Wild Oats not quite as strong; 130-150 damage to Lv.80 players.

They go down pretty fast, and a lot of people like killing these. Although I have been in a lot of parties that have had problem with lights on these. Because of that I personally try to avoid this camp.

Caoineag - Corpselights family

Even more squishy than mandies, believe it or not. They are BLM mobs that casts -Ga III and AM (II?). Might be good to have a RDM silence pull these. Because they die incredible fast, its important that you have an alliance that actually listen when you start building lights. Once all the lights are capped, these brings in really good exp, having 2 pullers can be good if you have a solid group.

Blood Bat - Bat family

Same as the two above, they are really squishy. Only uses defense down and evasion down TP moves iirc (also uses merrow drain, which drains MP). This is my favourite camp of all I have tried. Make sure to bring a bard or cor for sleeps, as they are very resistant to dark based sleep (almost impossible to land sleep without ES). These DO link when you pull them if they are too close to each other.

Jaguarundi - Coeurl family

As with most camps I will post, these are very squishy. Can be slept with both dark and light based sleeps. Have atleast 1 mage in each party with paralyna and silena, since they silence and paralyze a lot. But the exp is really worth the trouble on these. As far as I remember, the only TP moves they have is paralyze and silence. These don't link, but they do aggro.

La Theine

Crapaudy - Poroggo family

I've only done these a few times, but those parties have been great! The frogs dont use any TP moves, and they dont cast any spells! The are fairly evasive and hit hard though. They are extremely resistan to light based magic though, so dont rely on your BRD to be the sleeper. These also link if pulled when they are too close to each other. Downside is if you dont have warp to the camp, because you will waste 10ish minutes for the walk all across the zone to get to the camp.

Rock Grinder - Worms family

I had a few parties there and exp is great. Hit 610 exp/kill after ~1.5h and. The key here is to have the DD's focus and fight only one worm at a time. The worms link and their AoE can be very nasty. One of the better camps in my oppinion. ~ Bismarck.Helixx

Geier - Bird family

I have only had 1 party on these so far. As all birds these are weak to piercing DMG. They go down really fast. Uses damnation dive (DMG and stun) and wing cutter as TP moves. These also links but are easy to sleep with both dark and light based magic.

Konschtat

Note: The flyin dragon thingy that roams the area is now aggroing

Dapifer Imp - Imp family

I'll avoid these as the plague. Even though they are squishy, they still have their AoE silence and amnesia moves that we all remember from the mire. And they are BLM ofcourse and casts -Ga III and if i remember correct AM. Only had one party on these, and I wont make a second one.

Shadow Lizard - Lizard family

I have heard that ppl had good pt's on these, but I havent experienced it myself. Only been doing these once, and I wont go back there if I can help it. They use petrify, evasion down, fireball, and poison as their TP moves. Why would you wanna fight these, i dont know.

Mesa Wivre - Wivre family

Only tried these once, because all the other camps were taken at the time. At first the seemed very easy to kill. But later on people were dying in piles. They use all Wivre TP moves, including demoralizing roar, boiling blood and granite hide. Avoid these unless you have absolutely no other choice, and even then. Avoid these.

Ypotryll - Bugard family

I've had both very good parties and very bad parties on these. They die fairly fast. They use all the normal bugard TP moves. To be honest, there's not much to say about these. Not very exciting camp in my opinion. They do link, arent resistant to anything particular as far as I know.

Vunkerl - AF Drops: COR, DNC, NIN, BLU, SCH, SAM, DRG (all feet)

Shewriwhile - Corpselight family

These are pretty much the same as the sperms in tahrongi. Die fast, cast -ga magic, annoying critters with their ice spikes. RDM/NIN for silence pulling is good. Located just north of #7. They are really easy to kill, and very easy to get whatever light you want on. However, not a very good mob for exping on really. After killing these for 4.5 hours our exp/kill was a bit under 400. If you want fast exp/merits, there are way better mobs to kill. Took us about 3 hours til we got the first AF to drop, but after that they were more frequent drops.

Misareaux Coast - AF Drops: BRD, DRK, PLD, BST (all feet)

Coastal Colibri - Colibri family

I've not fought these myself, but I've seen people fight them. They are colibri's, what else is there to say. Can only assume the are as squishy as old bird camps.

Dont know if its posted but I don't believe the coastal colibri give ruby light. They also seemed to resist magic quite a bit (although they do not reflect) , so sometimes sleeping was an issue. They also link. (Ifrit.Myori)

Atrociraptor - Raptor Family

Atrociraptor in Misareaux Coast is pretty good, it's by Conflux #7 and a Martello on the map. Did a JP party there the other night for 4-5 hours, got about 5 AF drops (4 of them being rng feet >.< ughh). Was overflowing with gold chests so I suggest you make up rules for all the key items/augments in them beforehand.

Only annoying thing is an AOE stun move it does, but from what I can recall doesn't do them too often. Good luck to those who try it out! :) (Leviathan.Inem)

Attohwa - AF Drops: RDM, WHM, MNK, WAR, BLM (all feet)

Entozoon - Worm Family

There's a bunch (lots) of miniature worm mobs just West of the Tor, on the Eastern half of the map.

They have very low HP, but do aggro and link, and of course cast potent earth-based nukes. Biggest problem is that they do not grant Azure (blue) lights from magic (or any other) killshots. This is analogous to Pachypodiums and Blood Bats in Tahrongi not granting any Ruby (red) lights at all.

Thusly, our group didn't get Time Extensions from blue chests. One proposed solution would be to earn Azure lights from another mob type, prior to starting in on the worms. You'll still want BLMs in your alliance, because Sleepga is fairly mandatory for the linking/casting worms, and they resisted Repose (didn't have a BRD in the group). (Bismarck.Elanabelle)

Ignis Eruca - Crawler Family

I did crawlers in Attohwa getting pearl off them was slow as hell not a good mob to xp off imo. (Leviathan.Anbu)

We had same issue on crawlers last night, REALLY greedy with the time chests. We were getting a hell of a lot of blue chests, but none of them were time (Odin.Blazza)

Amuckatrice - Cocatrice Family

Yeah I had an amazing cockatrice camp. And the best thing is: they are VERY weak to Aero5. (weak to wind damage)

We caped exp at 640 after 2h, however we ran out of time as TE where really really greedy. Easy to pull, easy to kill, sleepable by BRD COR and BLM and WHM easily.

As blm/rdm 85 I was able to put out 2k+ Aero5. (Atma of heavens + COR)

Only problem: Silence and pertify. Have healers that can silena and stona fast. (Bismarck.Helixx)

I'm inclined to chalk that up to bad luck. We left with about as much time as we entered with and could have easily made positive time if we weren't trying to farm AF3 feet. We were in there for a bit more than six hours, for what it's worth. (Fenrir.Nightfyre)
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-20 04:53:03
Link | Quote | Reply

awesome idea for a thread, thanks
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-08-20 05:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Hoping to get more input from all the abyssea fans ^^
 Siren.Catabolic
Server: Siren
user: Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-08-20 05:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:

Blood Bat - Bat family

Same as the two above, they are really squishy. Only uses defense down and evasion down TP moves iirc. This is my favourite camp of all I have tried. Make sure to bring a bard or cor for sleeps, as they are very resistant to dark based sleep (almost impossible to land sleep without ES). These DO link when you pull them if they are too close to each other.

Great idea for a post!

Wanted to add though that these, (bats in quotes) are a pain in the *** imo. They use an mp drain ability on blms that really tends to suck and they hit harder than the other 2 mob types listed above. I haven't really noticed a difference in light frequencies between these and the (popular) mandie camps.
 Bismarck.Helixx
Server: Bismarck
user: Helixx
By Bismarck.Helixx 2010-08-20 05:20:33
Link | Quote | Reply

La Theine
Worm camp
I had a few parties there and exp is great. Hit 610 exp/kill after ~1.5h and. The key here is to have the DD's focus and fight only one worm at a time. The worms link and their AoE can be very nasty. One of the better camps in my oppinion.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-20 05:20:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally don't see why people EXP in Tahrongi these days for anything except building time pre/during-event or building pop sets but hey, less competition in Konschtat for me. Enjoy taking 5 hours to hit 600 exp/kill because bats and mandies don't yield ruby light.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-08-20 05:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Catabolic said:
Carbuncle.Zanno said:

Blood Bat - Bat family

Same as the two above, they are really squishy. Only uses defense down and evasion down TP moves iirc. This is my favourite camp of all I have tried. Make sure to bring a bard or cor for sleeps, as they are very resistant to dark based sleep (almost impossible to land sleep without ES). These DO link when you pull them if they are too close to each other.

Great idea for a post!

Wanted to add though that these, (bats in quotes) are a pain in the *** imo. They use an mp drain ability on blms that really tends to suck and they hit harder than the other 2 mob types listed above. I haven't really noticed a difference in light frequencies between these and the (popular) mandie camps.

oh yea I forgot that, merrow drain I think right?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-08-20 05:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helixx said:
La Theine
Worm camp
I had a few parties there and exp is great. Hit 610 exp/kill after ~1.5h and. The key here is to have the DD's focus and fight only one worm at a time. The worms link and their AoE can be very nasty. One of the better camps in my oppinion.

adding it in OP
 Siren.Catabolic
Server: Siren
user: Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-08-20 05:24:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Siren.Catabolic said:
Carbuncle.Zanno said:

Blood Bat - Bat family

Great idea for a post!

oh yea I forgot that, merrow drain I think right?

Yep that's it. I remember them draining from 110-180 mps per merrow drain.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-20 05:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that move is tons of fun for BLU as well.

Crapaudy are hideously evasive, can only be slept with dark-based sleeps (no BRDs, WHMs), and are stingy as hell with chests if you don't have a solid group. Good camp for a solid group, not sure for anything less but I've had poor luck there with pickups.

Worms on the other hand are pretty good, just keep away from Mikey if he's up.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-08-20 05:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
I think the Corpselights are the most underrated camp

Speaking of them, have anyone tried them in konschtat?
 Bismarck.Helixx
Server: Bismarck
user: Helixx
By Bismarck.Helixx 2010-08-20 05:31:26
Link | Quote | Reply

By the way, the mandies in tahrongi are easy to kill, but as OP said, building light on these can be a horror. Was suck at 300exp/kill after 2.5h, so unless your party knows how to build light for exp bonus, classical bird party will be better.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-20 05:32:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helixx said:
By the way, the mandies in tahrongi are easy to kill, but as OP said, building light on these can be a horror. Was suck at 300exp/kill after 2.5h, so unless your party knows how to build light for exp bonus, classical bird party will be better.
There's nothing to know about it, they simply don't yield ruby light. You have to get lucky with red chest pops to break the first exp cap, which isn't a matter of knowing at all.

Personally had no problem with azure/pearl lights on them though, and the problems with mandies (no ruby/amber) apply to bats as well so I'm unsure of the reason for the preference.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-08-20 05:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Personally don't see why people EXP in Tahrongi these days for anything except building time pre/during-event or building pop sets but hey, less competition in Konschtat for me. Enjoy taking 5 hours to hit 600 exp/kill because bats and mandies don't yield ruby light.

I havent really paid attention, but does no mobs in tahrongi give ruby light?
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-20 05:36:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Not to mention the much much much better augment items in highlands
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-20 05:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Mandies and bats certainly don't, didn't try the others before we moved to Konschtat. Personally quite happy with bugards, unless somebody finds another camp where mobs die even faster and you can build all lights in Konschtat (gotta love gold chests too) I doubt we'll be moving elsewhere for EXP-oriented parties.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-20 05:41:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I've yet to do a pt on it but the flan are pretty squishy to magic like always.

With the matt drink without day or weather or food or spirit lantern solo I could kill VT/IT ones with just an AM2 and T4.

If you could work out a pt that could get lights but do most dmg with magic or something it could be pretty awesome.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-08-20 07:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:

According to wiki Dybbuk in konschtat uses TP moves, Caoineag in Tahrongi dont, and there's no info on Psychopomp in La Theine. Anyone able to confirm this?
 Ragnarok.Bleublood
Server: Ragnarok
user: Bleublood
By Ragnarok.Bleublood 2010-08-20 07:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Asura.Catastrophe said:
According to wiki Dybbuk in konschtat uses TP moves, Caoineag in Tahrongi dont, and there's no info on Psychopomp in La Theine. Anyone able to confirm this?

I have fought a lot of these while trying to pop Brooder with my linkshell in La'theine, They cast -ga III and AM spells along with using all of their TP moves.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-08-20 07:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so all of the Corpselights in all abyssea areas uses TP moves along with magic?
 Ragnarok.Bleublood
Server: Ragnarok
user: Bleublood
By Ragnarok.Bleublood 2010-08-20 08:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I cant confirm anything about the others, since I have only played around with the ones in La Thiene. But the ones in La Thiene cast all those nasty AoE so I would not suggest them
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-08-20 08:19:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I know they cast -ga III, all of them do. But I'm unsure which of them, or if all of them, uses TP moves as well. I've only done the ones in tahrongi, but I cant recall if they ever did TP moves or just magic.
 Ifrit.Itazura
Server: Ifrit
user: Itazura
By Ifrit.Itazura 2010-08-20 08:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:

Pachypodium - Mandragora family.

Squishy mobs that only uses Scream (MND down) and Leaf Dagger (Poison) as TP moves.
They also use Head Butt and Wild Oats.

Head Butt does a bit under 200 damage to Lv.80 melee without Berserk up. With Berserk up and/or low level (Lv.70/71) players, can easily reach 400+ damage.

Wild Oats not quite as strong; 130-150 damage to Lv.80 players.

Also has Photosynthesis, but that doesn't damage anyone.

Carbuncle.Zanno said:

Jaguarundi - Coeurl family
Should also mention that they do not link, but do aggro.

Carbuncle.Zanno said:

Crapaudy - Poroggo family
I remember these hitting very hard, for some reason.

Carbuncle.Zanno said:

Shadow Lizard - Lizard family

I have heard that ppl had good pt's on these, but I havent experienced it myself. Only been doing these once, and I wont go back there if I can help it. They use petrify, evasion down, fireball, and poison as their TP moves. Why would you wanna fight these, i dont know.
Needs more healing power than Pachypodium, but it's not that bad with Barfira. Considering everyone Lv.78+ now can get Stona from /WHM, Stona isn't as hard to come by as before. The evasion down really is a non-issue.

I've seen some amazingly underwhelming alliances somehow able to get enough TEs to keep going here.

Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-08-20 08:24:45
Link | Quote | Reply

thanks Itazura, updating OP with the info ^^
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-08-20 09:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I see you don't have the Ab'Zxomits listed as a party option in highlands, by Khalamari. They aren't that bad honestly. I think they range from EM-VT or some jazz to 80. Just gotta be careful of pulling Khalamari as he is an insane ***. To my knowledge (I've only exped on them once, but it was very productive and fun because it was a change of pace), they do yield all light types. Mantle Pierce can be kind of annoying, but not nearly as annoying as Khala's lol. They are aspirable which is always nice, and on sch, I didn't see a whole ton of resists with AF coat on (have to friggin nuke everything that isn't a pudding in that damn coat..lol). Was a fairly nice party, because you can mix/match DD/magic dmg without having them be too resistant to either type of dmg. All in all, not a bad option if the lizards/bugards are taken.
 Sylph.Pwrlessgirl
Server: Sylph
user: Pwrless
By Sylph.Pwrlessgirl 2010-08-20 09:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been doing Tahrongi for past 2 weeks and found out Jaguarundi and Blood bat camps good to XP at.

Jaguarundi - Weak to Earth, however using Blizzard 2,3,4 takes reasonable 200, 500, 900+ damage from them.
In an alliance with 3-4 BLM or SCH you can safely start nuking at 65% mob HP and get your magik kill.
Avoid using Thunder or Fire, they resist thunder, and Fire don't work that well.
Have a WHM with silena/haste/paralyna macro for main tank and it's all good.

Blood Bats - Weak to Light and Wind, I suppose hitting them with Aero will be best choice, but I like to try Blizzard as well. So far im not dissapointed.

Is best to stand at a camp where 2-3 are constantly poping this way is easier to grab next one. BRD/NIN fisherman is the way to go on Carnage Elegy. Avoid using lullaby unless YOU HAVE TO sleep a link. Otherwise you waste time wating for DAMN bat to wake up.
 Alexander.Varistor
Server: Alexander
user: Varistor
By Alexander.Varistor 2010-08-20 09:41:07
Link | Quote | Reply

/offtopic. sry but.. I could sit here all day and stare at your avatar Pwrless.

ok, back to topic

i have been getting fed up with mandies so have been thinking about asking others what better spots are. thx for this.
[+]
 Alexander.Nepharite
Server: Alexander
user: nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2010-08-20 10:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
I see you don't have the Ab'Zxomits listed as a party option in highlands, by Khalamari. They aren't that bad honestly. I think they range from EM-VT or some jazz to 80. Just gotta be careful of pulling Khalamari as he is an insane ***. To my knowledge (I've only exped on them once, but it was very productive and fun because it was a change of pace), they do yield all light types. Mantle Pierce can be kind of annoying, but not nearly as annoying as Khala's lol. They are aspirable which is always nice, and on sch, I didn't see a whole ton of resists with AF coat on (have to friggin nuke everything that isn't a pudding in that damn coat..lol). Was a fairly nice party, because you can mix/match DD/magic dmg without having them be too resistant to either type of dmg. All in all, not a bad option if the lizards/bugards are taken.

I was curious about this camp as well, we took a lowman group to go kill Khalamari and with a blu and pld as our only DD, we dropped the normal xzomits pretty fast without any problems. They seemed to give more exp than other mobs or maybe I'm not remembering it right.
First Page 2 3 4 5