Downloading Music
First Page 2 3 4
 Leviathan.Dubont
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-05 18:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I just saw a commercial for Rhapsody charging $10 a month for unlimited downloads. With programs such as Limewire, Winmx, Frostwire, SoulSeek and sites such as Piratebay.org, why do people continue to pay for the same exact music that you could get for FREE!?

Edit: Hell, you don't even need a program or a site for this...you just need friends that do.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-05 18:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

This is going to go well...

EDIT: And for the record, people who never pay for music can go *** themselves.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-05 18:58:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly don't know.

There are two reasons I'll ever buy an album (and this would be the physical album, not online that is pointless)

1. I want to support a new band I like
2. Collection.

For that reason I buy every Green Day, Muse, NOFX album for my collection, and buy every [Spunge] album due to them being an extremely underrated band.

Everything else is Torrented.
[+]
 Asura.Kowen
Server: Asura
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-05-05 19:06:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe because people actually want the artists they like to keep putting out new music?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-05 19:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Download via torrent. Limewire ect sucks balls. Can't get 320kbps or flac for ***. Torrent only, really.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-05 19:08:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kowen said:
Maybe because people actually want the artists they like to keep putting out new music?

How will <insert artist here> ever do without their second Yacht?!
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-05 19:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Kowen said:

Flion trollin hardcore up in this ***.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-05 19:09:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I buy Tupac albums because the dead guy really needs his money!
 Caitsith.Linear
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-05-05 19:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Kowen said:

Would you do your job if you weren't being payed for it?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Roudidou
Server: Ragnarok
user: Roudidou
By Ragnarok.Roudidou 2010-05-05 19:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

people just like throwing their money away on stuff they can get for free...

-Want some bottled air? only 5$ for a limited time.
-sure :D
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-05 19:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Linear said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Kowen said:

Would you do your job if you weren't being payed for it?

No, but clearly they still would.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-05 19:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Roudidou said:

People don't labor over producing air for months at a time and depend on the money they get from producing said air (lol) to make a living.
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-05 19:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

I'm sorry, I'm not paying a subscription to a website just to download a song every now and then. Before you say "well buy a CD" there isn't a band out there (now) that puts out an entire CD that I want. I think the last CD I bought was Lost and Found by Mudvayne and that was...quite a few years ago.

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Download via torrent. Limewire ect sucks balls. Can't get 320kbps or flac for ***. Torrent only, really.
I don't have a good program to download torrents. I used Bitorrent but the new Slipknot CD took 4 hours to torrent with it....got on SoulSeek and downloaded the newest Nightwish CD in about 7 mins...got any suggestions? lol
 Caitsith.Linear
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-05-05 19:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dubont said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

I'm sorry, I'm not paying a subscription to a website just to download a song every now and then. Before you say "well buy a CD" there isn't a band out there (now) that puts out an entire CD that I want. I think the last CD I bought was Lost and Found by Mudvayne and that was...quite a few years ago.

I'm fairly sure iTunes has individual songs available.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-05 19:14:59
Link | Quote | Reply

iTunes, Amazon... it's a growing business model.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-05 19:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been in a debate like this several times, and it always comes down to this for me:

I don't have the disposable income to spend on albums / DVD's / Games when they are first released, If I can get something for free then I will.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-05 19:16:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dubont said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
I don't have a good program to download torrents. I used Bitorrent but the new Slipknot CD took 4 hours to torrent with it....got on SoulSeek and downloaded the newest Nightwish CD in about 7 mins...got any suggestions? lol

Ports forwarded?
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-05 19:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ragnarok.Roudidou said:

People don't labor over producing air for months at a time and depend on the money they get from producing said air (lol) to make a living.
true but at the same time there are plenty of artists who get paid a ***LOAD of money for doing certain ***...like Vic Firth paying Joey for putting his name on some of their sticks...photoshoots...Concerts (which costs money but they get a good bit in return), etc. They don't JUST rely on CDs for money.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-05 19:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dubont said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ragnarok.Roudidou said:

true but at the same time there are plenty of artists who get paid a ***LOAD of money for doing certain ***...like Vic Firth paying Joey for putting his name on some of their sticks...photoshoots...Concerts (which costs money but they get a good bit in return), etc. They don't JUST rely on CDs for money.
Bull *** ***. If you knew anything about the music industry you'd understand how rare those high-paid musicians actually are. Yes musicians get better payouts from things other than selling CDs, but when your average musician makes about 40-50k a year every little bit helps.
 Asura.Kowen
Server: Asura
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-05-05 19:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I don't have the disposable income to spend on albums / DVD's / Games when they are first released, If I can get something for free then I will.

Of course, that's everyone's reasoning. I'd be lying if I said I didn't download music for free too.

"People shouldn't pay for music because you can easily get it for free" is a stupid mentality though. Just because you don't have any money doesn't make stealing right.
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-05 19:23:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Stubbs said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Take 5 minutes to briefly educate yourself on how bittorrent works, and next time pick a file with more than a handful of seeds.
I know how it works troll. I never see any files with any more than 3-4 seeds.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-05 19:24:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ragnarok.Roudidou said:

Bull *** ***. If you knew anything about the music industry you'd understand how rare those high-paid musicians actually are. Yes musicians get better payouts from things other than selling CDs, but when your average musician makes about 40k a year every little bit helps.
Like I said, artists / bands that have little to no publicity I will purchase their new stuff, but most artists and bands clearly have enough money to pump out the same ***every year.

Another reason I don't pay for albums is the fact that most of them have very little content on them. I'm all for paying for something that's worth it, but the last album I bought was Los Campesinos - Romance Is Boring. I was utterly disappointed in it.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-05-05 19:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless someone is really deserving of my money, I download. If musicians want to keep releasing crap, then I won't pay for it. I'll pay for every single album Nightwish released, but I'll be damned if I buy every incarnation of Linkin Park's first CD because one or two songs were catchy.

CDs don't have enough content on them. Take my above example: Linkin Park. They released that album with Jay-Z, and stores wanted 20 bucks for it. You know how many songs were on it? 8. 8 songs for 20 bucks. iTunes doesn't even charge that much.
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-05 19:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bull *** ***. If you knew anything about the music industry you'd understand how rare those high-paid musicians actually are. Yes musicians get better payouts from things other than selling CDs, but when your average musician makes about 40-50k a year every little bit helps.
40-50k/year? If thats all you get paid, you should really find a new career.
Asura.Kowen said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Of course, that's everyone's reasoning. I'd be lying if I said I didn't download music for free too.

"People shouldn't pay for music because you can easily get it for free" is a stupid mentality though. Just because you don't have any money doesn't make stealing right.
Not stealing, file sharing.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-05-05 19:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ragnarok.Roudidou said:

What kinda argument is that? ***if they need the money so bad let them go get a real job..

I don't pay for music, cuz I know plenty of other people are putting money into the artist's pocket by buying CD's, then you got to remember concerts, and royalties for ***like band merchandise, etc etc.
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2010-05-05 19:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont want my favourite bands to hate me!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-05 19:30:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
What kinda argument is that? ***if they need the money so bad let them go get a real job..

I don't pay for music, cuz I know plenty of other people are putting money into the artist's pocket by buying CD's, then you got to remember concerts, and royalties for ***like band merchandise, etc etc.
Get the *** out.
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Whatever happened to doing something you actually gave a ***about for a living anyway? Damn...

For what it's worth, I did find a different career. Possibly the biggest mistake I ever made.
Quote:
Not stealing, file sharing.
Semantics.
 Phoenix.Lazuras
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Lazuras 2010-05-05 19:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Arguing with a brick wall is pointless.

Some people will always choose to support music financially.

Some people will always choose to download music.

Neither will ever become the only way its done.
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-05-05 19:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dubont said:

Obvious troll is obvious (at least I hope).
[+]
First Page 2 3 4