Downloading Music
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-05-05 19:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, but it sounds like you spend a lot of time investigating, downloading, and managing music. Sitting at a computer.

I don't, and don't want to. It all comes down to what things people want to do themselves, and what they think is worth paying for. Buying music online is, to me, worth paying for.

It's like say, Netflix. Yes, I could torrent the movies I want. But why go through all that effort when I can pay $8/month and stream whatever I want?
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-05 20:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Still, I don't have to search around, is my point. I don't have to look for an active torrent, find a decent one, download it, unzip it, add it to the library, format all its tags, find album art for it, manually move it to all my mobile devices, etc. One step: open iTunes, put in name, click Buy. The end. From anywhere. Easily worth $0.99 given that entire process would likely take me 10-15 minutes by hand.

I actually prefer no album art, and sorting my tags, and adding the titles and artists don't bother me. The only songs I have with album art are You're Not Alone and Rose of May, by Kate Covington. (Katethegreat19, on Youtube.)
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-05 20:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Still, I don't have to search around, is my point. I don't have to look for an active torrent, find a decent one, download it, unzip it, add it to the library, format all its tags, find album art for it, manually move it to all my mobile devices, etc.
Wtf torrents are you using?

All I've ever had to do was open my torrent type in somethign I'm looking for generally click the very first search and look it's downloading. Pretty sure you have to download on Itunes at some point and chose what you want to listen too as well

Oh ok you got me I have to add it to my library. And I have to transfer stuff big whoop.

I always get album art with mine. I've never found anything zipped lol or needing to be formatted or any of that of that.

Just download and add to playlist and maybe then copy to mobile device. Though that usually doesn't happen till after I'm sure of which ones I really want to listen to much.

I litterally can find and download entire discographies with more album art than comes with the albums and often lyrics or tracklistings or whatever bonuses that person put in and on my mp3 player and my comps play list in a matter of minutes unless it is something that no one listens to hardly at all and therefore takes longer to download. All while I play ffxi or idk mess around on teh forums
[+]
 Caitsith.Linear
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-05-05 20:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said:
I actually prefer no album art, and sorting my tags, and adding the titles and artists don't bother me. The only songs I have with album art are You're Not Alone and Rose of May, by Kate Covington. (Katethegreat19, on Youtube.)

I love her. :D
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-05 20:07:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Linear said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:

She's good, and her lyrics aren't corny as I expect on alot of lyrics written to VG music. I'd also add that those 2 MP3s were actually downloaded legitamately through a link she provided.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-05-05 20:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Sure, but it sounds like you spend a lot of time investigating, downloading, and managing music. Sitting at a computer.

Not sure what you torrented for free, if at all, but what you've described in your posts here is not accurate with my experiences. At all.
[+]
 Caitsith.Linear
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-05-05 20:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Caitsith.Linear said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:

She's good, and her lyrics aren't corny as I expect on alot of lyrics written to VG music. I'd also add that those 2 MP3s were actually downloaded legitamately through a link she provided.

I've downloaded a few of my favorites from her too. She's got a wonderful, calming voice. I listen to her and a few other artists to get me to sleep faster.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-05 20:12:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Linear said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Caitsith.Linear said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
I've downloaded a few of my favorites from her too. She's got a wonderful, calming voice. I listen to her and a few other artists to get me to sleep faster.

I always like both of those I listed from FF9, and Beatrix was my fave character, besides Kuja. So I just had to have them.
 Asura.Sidi
Server: Asura
user: Sidi
By Asura.Sidi 2010-05-05 20:26:28
Link | Quote | Reply

My brother gave me an external harddrive with a lot of music he downloaded; about 100 gigs.

I was elated at first, but after a while just got fed up and ended up deleting just about the entire thing. Most of the files were messed up in some way. Wrong artists, mispellings, foreign characters, weird categories.

When I loaded my zune (yes, zune...) program and added hdd to collection, it basically DESTROYED my collection, adding 40 new bogus genres (do I really need rock&roll, rock and roll, rock, rock8, r0ck, hard rock, classic rock, 80's rock, old rock... etc? give me one damn category, and thats for the spelt right ones having categories like "wefww" was just wonderful)

It was such a pain trying to clean it up, I decided to forget about it all; got a few names of ppl I liked and got it myself.

I use the zune pass which is a 15/month subscription, and can download whatever you want while its active (10 mp3s a month to keep too... if you remember to get them, which I don't... mainly because can't ever think of anything I should get hardcopies for). -- this way I can try out new music and its nice and simple... and legal.

It really saddens me how much people try to justify their stealing. That's all it is. Stealing. Plain and simple, you don't have money for it? Well guess what, its not exactly needed to live, use the radio, use Pandora, listen to what you have and get it when you have the spare cash. Just because you CAN do something doesn't make it right.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-05 20:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I still find it funny people call it stealing.

merriam-websters said:
Main Entry: 1steal
Pronunciation: \ˈstēl\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): stole \ˈstōl\; sto·len \ˈstō-lən\; steal·ing
Etymology: Middle English stelen, from Old English stelan; akin to Old High German stelan to steal
Date: before 12th century
intransitive verb
1 : to take the property of another wrongfully and especially as a habitual or regular practice
2 : to come or go secretly, unobtrusively, gradually, or unexpectedly
3 : to steal or attempt to steal a base
transitive verb
1 a : to take or appropriate without right or leave and with intent to keep or make use of wrongfully <stole a car> b : to take away by force or unjust means <they've stolen our liberty> c : to take surreptitiously or without permission <steal a kiss> d : to appropriate to oneself or beyond one's proper share : make oneself the focus of <steal the show>
2 a : to move, convey, or introduce secretly : smuggle b : to accomplish in a concealed or unobserved manner <steal a visit>
3 a : to seize, gain, or win by trickery, skill, or daring <a basketball player adept at stealing the ball> <stole the election> b of a base runner : to reach (a base) safely solely by running and usually catching the opposing team off guard

None of that fits file sharing. Unless you hacked someones computer for it or the person who is sharing it with you litterally stole the album then yeah he would be stealing

Ya know way before online file sharing people would make tapes at concerts or stuff off the radio and copying them for friends and sending them to people too.

Or that the people making this music need even more money lol.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-05 20:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Still, I don't have to search around, is my point. I don't have to look for an active torrent, find a decent one, download it, unzip it, add it to the library, format all its tags, find album art for it, manually move it to all my mobile devices, etc.

One step: open iTunes, put in name, click Buy. The end. From anywhere.

Easily worth $0.99 given that entire process would likely take me 10-15 minutes by hand.
Itunes doesn't have my kpop!
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
Server: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-05-05 20:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dubont said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
This is going to go well... EDIT: And for the record, people who never pay for music can go *** themselves.
I'm sorry, I'm not paying a subscription to a website just to download a song every now and then. Before you say "well buy a CD" there isn't a band out there (now) that puts out an entire CD that I want. I think the last CD I bought was Lost and Found by Mudvayne and that was...quite a few years ago.
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Download via torrent. Limewire ect sucks balls. Can't get 320kbps or flac for ***. Torrent only, really.
I don't have a good program to download torrents. I used Bitorrent but the new Slipknot CD took 4 hours to torrent with it....got on SoulSeek and downloaded the newest Nightwish CD in about 7 mins...got any suggestions? lol

I went out yesterday and bought Diamond Eyes by Deftones because I have been drooling over this album since I first heard the Diamond Eyes single on the radio. The album has been leaked on the net the whole time and I refused to download it. Maybe because I'm an artist and a musician as well that I won't download something even though I really really want to hear it. Regardless I bought the cd, cracked it open and put it in my car stereo and was the best 10 bucks I've spent in a LONG time. Great cd and its on sale for 9.99 at target. <3 deftones. Also Mudvayne sucks now so no wonder the last cd you bought was their last good cd lol.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-05 20:46:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
1 : to take the property of another wrongfully and especially as a habitual or regular practice
***'s copyrighted you know.
Quote:
1 a : to take or appropriate without right or leave and with intent to keep or make use of wrongfully
You didn't pay for it, you don't have the right to make use of the music you've downloaded unless it was released under a free license.
Quote:
None of that fits file sharing.
Want to revise that statement?
Quote:
Ya know way before online file sharing people would make tapes at concerts or stuff off the radio and copying them for friends and sending them to people too.
How does this (which is also arguably wrong) justify stealing music?
Quote:
Or that the people making this music need even more money lol.
Are you *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE?
[+]
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-05-05 20:50:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Night. People like those in this thread bragging about downloading music and *** people in the music industry also think its easy to get signed/recorded/make millions.

This only works if your a *** with fake *** and zero talent

Britney Spears: "did someone just talk about me?"

also you have to produce pop music or shitty rap or make a collaboration with someone already famous.

For those of us that produce honest, original music, most of us will never see a record deal, others take years before it happens and lose so many great bandmates along the way trying to make it.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-05 20:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dubont said:
I don't have a good program to download torrents. I used Bitorrent but the new Slipknot CD took 4 hours to torrent with it....got on SoulSeek and downloaded the newest Nightwish CD in about 7 mins...got any suggestions? lol

NOt sure if this was already answer but here we go. I use Utorrent but really most torrent programs work about the same. The reason it took 4 hours to download that CD probably had nothing to do with the torrent program. Unless your settings are all jacked up. Like you can set upload/download limits which as you might imagine do exactly what they sound like.

Chances are though it was the torrent itself. Generally any torrent you download will have stats on it you can see before you click like how big it is and how many seeds/leechs you have. On most general torrent searching sites the first few will be most popular. This usually because they might have more goodies in them higher quality and/or just because there is already more people torrenting from it more people will use that one cause well it looks more popular download AND because of that will download faster.

The difference can be big. Like let's say right now I'm downloading a movie called Flatliners from 1990. Needless to say not alot people on that so it's taking almost a day. Then just the night before last I went to Dattebayo and downloaded Bleach 3 movie in 1080p and that was done in like 30 min.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-05-05 20:58:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of curiosity, is it just music, or is mostly a personality thing / mindset?

Like, if you're okay with downloading music and not paying for it, do you also download movies? Games? Etc? Do you block ads on FFXIAH?

Is there anyone who pays for most things but only makes an exception for music?

Is it basically a "everything non-tangible on the internet should be free and *&#$ whoever says otherwise?"
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-05 21:01:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I have about 200 downloaded movies and a lot of songs. Games, it really depends. Not because it's a moral difference but because of difficulty/availability. For example, even if there was a decent ps3 emulator, my computer wouldn't come close to being able to play it. Hell, the ps2 emulator gives me ***. Old stuff like snes n64 ps1 emulators, I'm all over it though.
 Sylph.Kimble
user: Jornna
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-05-05 21:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Touring is where most bands make their money. Touring, merch, etc.

CD sells is very little for them.

A lot of shows I go to, the band either sells their CD really cheap (5-10) or will basically just give stuff out for free because they know getting their name out there and getting people to come to their shows will do more then paying for CDs.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-05-05 21:08:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Like, if you're okay with downloading music and not paying for it, do you also download movies? Games? Etc? Do you block ads on FFXIAH?

Is it basically a "everything non-tangible on the internet should be free and *&#$ whoever says otherwise?"

I download movies. If I really like it, I'll buy the DVD. For example, I streamed Avatar, for free, because it wasn't something I was really interested in seeing. I liked it. So I bought the DVD.

I download games. If I really like it, I'll buy the full game. (Unless it's an EA game.) I really only play PC games now, so unless I've played it before via a demo or at a friend's house, I don't buy console games.

As far as blocking ads goes, even though this is FFXIAH, malicious ads get through sometimes. I do believe I've sent you a PM on occasion about a malicious ad that's gotten through, Jaerik.

It's not the attitude of "It's on the internet and it should be free." It's called "try-before-you-buy."
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-05 21:09:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Meee.
I buy movies, I buy games, etc.
I listen to a lot of music, and I could probably buy a pretty nice car if I were to buy each song I have for $1, lol.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-05 21:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Out of curiosity, is it just music, or is mostly a personality thing / mindset? Like, if you're okay with downloading music and not paying for it, do you also download movies? Games? Etc? Do you block ads on FFXIAH? Is there anyone who pays for most things but only makes an exception for music? Is it basically a "everything non-tangible on the internet should be free and *&#$ whoever says otherwise?"

Only music for me. I don't block ads, but I don't click them, either.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-05-05 21:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Out of curiosity, is it just music, or is mostly a personality thing / mindset? Like, if you're okay with downloading music and not paying for it, do you also download movies? Games? Etc? Do you block ads on FFXIAH? Is there anyone who pays for most things but only makes an exception for music? Is it basically a "everything non-tangible on the internet should be free and *&#$ whoever says otherwise?"

I believe that the value that you hold for the item should be the factor in whether you pay for it. I never block ads on FFXIAH.com because I understand you guys need the ad money to pay for the servers. This helps keep this wonderful site free of charge for users, even people like vigor.

I think its one or the other.

Mindset is like you said above "everything non-tangible on the internets should be free etc"

or

I don't value music/games/movies/(insert media form) so I won't pay a cent for it and I'll rather steal it. Yes, when you get something without paying for it people, its stealing, regardless of if you agreed with the price. Try telling the judge why you stole the PS3 "I felt that 350 bucks for the 250 gb slim was a bit steep your honor" and he'll totally let you off with a warning.
 Sylph.Spency
user: Spencyono
By Sylph.Spency 2010-05-05 21:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

[Hippy]
I think music should be made to enjoy and share, not profit from.
[/Hippy]

Only semi-serious, I'm not trying to justify my stealing downloading music.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-05-05 21:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
Touring is where most bands make their money. Touring, merch, etc. CD sells is very little for them. A lot of shows I go to, the band either sells their CD really cheap (5-10) or will basically just give stuff out for free because they know getting their name out there and getting people to come to their shows will do more then paying for CDs.

This is true.

Especially true of underground metal bands.

Deftones are who the are today because they went street team with their ***and were broke for their first 2 albums. Only made decent commercial success with White pony, saturday night wrists, and Diamond Eyes (released yesterday). Regardless I own every album and wished they had went ahead and released Eros.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-05-05 21:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I block ads on ffxiah I dont trust them lol.

Edit:
Dont people /gay for adblock and noscript?
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2010-05-05 21:15:25
Link | Quote | Reply

When I was DJing, I had to download music, I didn't buy any either. It was easier for me to be able to download a bunch of songs that people always asked for than buying a whole album for 1 song or paying $1 for a song. That's just me. Even though I had downloaded songs, there were some artists that I did actually go and buy the cd.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-05 21:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I block ads on ffxiah I dont trust them lol. Dont people preach for adblock and noscript?

They are just ads, besides, I never blocked ads because I figured you'd have to pay fot a premium/golden/whatever account to do so. I don't feel I need to block them, tho.

UNEDITED for the lulz.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-05-05 21:20:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said:

They are just ads

A malicious one can get through occasionally:

Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-05-05 21:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

For me i download my music because i simply cannot afford to buy the albums. Once upon a time when i was a teenager with nothing better to spend my money on i actually had a nice collection going for awhile.

But when i started a job and suddenly had to fend for myself, i found that paying for music vs rent became an issue. I'm sure people will troll/flame and say "then wait until you CAN afford it" or whatever excuse they wish to make up. But as many people have stated most profits/big turn outs artists make is from concerts, bookings, and merchandise.

Once i get rolling with the navy in September and actually can get along well in life again I am sure i will start to actually buy music again.
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-05-05 21:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Most music isn't even worth the bandwidth to download it, let alone the price of a CD.

[+]