DRG Endgame Tank O.o?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » DRG Endgame tank O.o?
DRG Endgame tank O.o?
 Unicorn.Fosgate
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Fosgate
By Unicorn.Fosgate 2010-04-28 16:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Almost any job out there can be a "damage sponge". I used to tank a ton of stuff as whm/nin with a Thf trick attacking me. Whm gets access to a ton of haste and stoneskin to back it up.

The problem with this scenario put forth is that drg cant hold the hate of a "tank". A tanks role isnt just to mitigate damage, its to also keep hate.

Having an enmity free Cure 4 from your wyvern only keeps you alive. You are losing hate every time you get hit, and only gaining it back through damage. You will be spamming HB triggers and not hitting anything, in turn not putting out any damage to keep hate. It wont matter how much +enm gear you wear. Take a look at paladins for instance. A good paladin wont ever TP in +enm gear. It does almost nothing for you. It's best stacked for a hate generating ability which drg does not have aside from maybe Angon which is on a 3 min timer.

You have created a very good set for survivability in a solo or low man situation where the mob wont hit you for more than 100-150 a whack, but you would need every member of your pt to sub thf and TA you. And at best, you'd still be like a whm/nin that needs someone to TA you. And you'd still be better off subbing nin in that case. You cant tank anything that AoE's as Drg anyways.
[+]
 Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-04-28 16:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Lobstermagnet said:
drg can tank almost all end game hnm. L2FFXI

So can any DD and most mages... I am not sure what your point is.

The question hasn't been about which jobs can tank X mob, its about which job can tank X mob best and DRG doesn't come top for any mob.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-04-28 16:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Just when you thought the era of loldrgs was over, someone makes a thread like this.
[+]
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Lobstermagnet 2010-04-28 16:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Argettio said:

The question hasn't been about which jobs can tank X mob, its about which job can tank X mob best and DRG doesn't come top for any mob.
irony
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
Server: Lakshmi
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-04-28 17:29:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Blindphleb said:
Just when you thought the era of loldrgs was over, someone makes a thread like this.

Uh wtf I'm a good DRG so firstly go *** yourself, secondly your a MNK, quit trolling a DRG thread. I simply posted an idea and asked for peoples opinions about it, I'm pretty sure I mentioned that in my original post. So there's no need for you to troll and be a ***
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-04-28 17:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Argettio said:

>_> can SAM solo an Ajattaras in Grauberg?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-28 17:35:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Tanking isn't soloing, sorry.

Can drg tank niddhogg?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-04-28 17:37:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Tanking isn't soloing, sorry.

Can drg tank niddhogg?

... only one way to find out
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-04-28 17:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Glaciont said:

Uh wtf I'm a good DRG so firstly go *** yourself, secondly your a MNK, quit trolling a DRG thread. I simply posted an idea and asked for peoples opinions about it, I'm pretty sure I mentioned that in my original post. So there's no need for you to troll and be a ***
I've spent a considerable amount of time with drgs. I don't have to lvl it to 75 to understand how it works or what it's good at. Your mileage might vary, and considering you have it at 75 and still don't understand how poor of a tank it makes exhibits that fact.

Is drg good at soloing/lowman? Hell yes it is. Is it anywhere near as good as conventional tanks in full party/alliance situations? Hell no.

When you ask for opinions do you want to hear all opinions, or just the ones that make you feel good?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-04-28 17:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Glaciont said:

I've spent a considerable amount of time with drgs. I don't have to lvl it to 75 to understand how it works or what it's good at. Your mileage might vary, and considering you have it at 75 and still don't understand how poor of a tank it makes exhibits that fact.

Is drg good at soloing/lowman? Hell yes it is. Is it anywhere near as good as conventional tanks in full party/alliance situations? Hell no.

When you ask for opinions do you want to hear all opinions, or just the ones that make you feel good?

just not your kind like this one, which tells me you really don't know much about DRG.

|
v
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
Server: Fenrir
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-04-28 17:51:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Drg can't tank EG hnms D:
We have nothing to defend ourselves and SJ is the exact opposite of what ppl want tanks to do..
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-04-28 17:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:

just not your kind like this one, which tells me you really don't know much about DRG.

|
v

Allright, i'm gonna go ahead and say I agree with the loldrg comment, and before you get all pissy and whatnot DRG was my first job, and I still enjoy it.

In short: No, DRGs can't, won't and will never be called in as tanks, sorry to burst your little hope bubble there.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-04-28 18:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Catnipthief said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:
Lakshmi.Glaciont said:

|
v

Allright, i'm gonna go ahead and say I agree with the loldrg comment, and before you get all pissy and whatnot DRG was my first job, and I still enjoy it.

In short: No, DRGs can't, won't and will never be called in as tanks, sorry to burst your little hope bubble there.

Again, I didn't even say that and I never even promoted the idea of DRG actually tanking in endgame, it was just an idea and quote "This is just a random thought I had so... thought I might share it with you guys"

I don't think either of you read the first post. Also "Feel free to toss some of your opinions" doesn't include rubbish remarks like Blindphleb's.

edited
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-04-28 18:16:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If drg was ever to be any kind of tank it would be a parry tank but just the thought of parry tank sounds bad for some reason.

Drgs get a lot of parry gear thats where the thought came fron even w/ their C parry
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-04-28 18:21:10
Link | Quote | Reply

; ; parrying onry 191
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-04-28 18:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

mine is also in the 190s too XD
 Phoenix.Dooom
Server: Phoenix
user: Dooom
By Phoenix.Dooom 2010-04-28 19:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not even about gear or whatever. Drg JAs are based around shedding hate, and don't help you keep it, whereas every other DD class has JAs/spells which help them keep hate either through damage dealing, enmity creation, or damage avoidance. You couldn't keep hate over other DDs and support on anything more than a few already soloable mobs, on which the entire concept of a real tank is irrelevant. I've had a lot of fun on drg, but it's not a tanking DD class like sam, war, drk, mnk, etc.
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-04-28 20:06:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't really see DRG as a tank class. There's no question that they can hold their own in a fight if needed but the whole job seems to be centered around dealing damage, not absorbing it. A tank job's is to absorb damage and keep the mobs attention and all of a DRG's JAs are made to shed enmity. So I think not having any way to control or regain hate makes DRG a poor choice for a tank.

If you were tanking something as DRG/Mage, and say a COR or RNG does something like Slug Shot + Barrage for a lot of damage or even a SAM who gets off a good WS and takes hate. Naturally the healer is going to try to keep them alive and cure spamming a job with low defense just creates another problem. Now the DRG is #3 on the hate list and has to try to take hate from 2 people. If the DD dies, the mob is probably going to go after the mage for all the cure enmity, who dies in like 2 hits.

You wouldn't even need someone doing spike damage. The DRG could also accidentally Jump just because he's so used to doing so. Even good players accidentally hit the wrong macro once in a while.

Once the DRG looses hate, and the mob attacks weaker people things just start to escalate from there.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-05-05 18:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Rafik said:
Sylph.Rykoshet said:
honestly what would be the point of a drg tank lol

drg cant even solo, unless /mage ; ;

Didn't realize other melee jobs could do much solo without /nin or dnc. >.>
 Asura.Tero
Server: Asura
user: Tero
By Asura.Tero 2010-05-09 10:16:54
Link | Quote | Reply

did anyone think that this might be plausible with the 99 cap coming out, considering i'm guessing that they will be adding a healing breathe IV along with the fact that when you /whm you will have the ability to cast flash on the mob. But you would need to have a very well geared dragoon with ethereal earring along with some enmity+ gear for flash along with fast cast (Nuevo for example) but you would need alot of support most likely protect IV with tav taco along with phalanx II and you would need to have a thf or dual tank with someone else in order to have them constantly SATAing you unless you are able to out DD most of the other jobs that are there which may be hard to do if you are using tanking or high def equipment.

But hey its a kool idea i can main heal a merit party on drg/rdm without any support and noone dies but hey would be something fun to try some time XD
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-09 10:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Drgs suck as main heal
 Asura.Tero
By Asura.Tero 2010-05-09 10:20:32
Link | Quote | Reply

my healing breathe cures for 511 each time o.O lol and i can spam it for 6mp. and 811 with deep breathing every 5 mins.
 Fairy.Specopsz
Server: Fairy
user: Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2010-05-09 10:20:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Is a good concept, but without /WAR its pretty hard to keep hate.
Any job can be a tank if set correctly, but DRG would have a lot of survivability with healing breath, specially with the AF gear.
Someone in my LS actually listed out jobs that SE intended to be tanks, but the players their self's chose the only two jobs they thought would be tanks, and that today is NIN an PLD.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-09 10:21:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tero said:
my healing breathe cures for 511 each time o.O lol and i can spam it for 6mp. and 811 with deep breathing every 5 mins.
Your point is?
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Server: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-05-09 10:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG has no damage mitigating abilities, only enmity mitigating. Nothing to spike for hate except WSs and they have a slower TP gain rate than SAM.

The question isn't necessarily "can?" so much as "why?"...
 Asura.Tero
By Asura.Tero 2010-05-09 10:23:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Ninetales said:
DRG has no damage mitigating abilities, only enmity mitigating. Nothing to spike for hate except WSs and they have a slower TP gain rate than SAM.

Cause were bored and want to try something new lol
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Asura.Tero said:
Your point is?

@35~40k an hour exp per hour i think thats pretty good :D
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-09 10:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tero said:
Unicorn.Ninetales said:

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Asura.Tero said:
Your point is?

You'd get better w/ a real healer
 Asura.Tero
By Asura.Tero 2010-05-09 10:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Asura.Tero said:
Unicorn.Ninetales said:

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Asura.Tero said:
Your point is?

You'd get better w/ a real healer

if you can break 40k an hour with 3 dd's i commend those dds lol normal merit setup = DRG/RDM BRD/NIN COR/nin or whm DDx3 for what i run
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-09 10:26:55
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no reason for drg to sub mage in an exp party. get a real healer, have the drg sub sam.
 Asura.Tero
By Asura.Tero 2010-05-09 10:30:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
There is no reason for drg to sub mage in an exp party. get a real healer, have the drg sub sam.

in most situations i would agree with you since about 80% of the dragoons ive met either don't have the skill or the gear in order to heal a party, either way exp is exp and usually fast exp. For me standard exp setup gets around 20~25k per hour with me healing on drg we drop the rdm and add damage to the overall you can argue the haste which half the mages i end up getting refuse to do but overall i get 30~35k per hour both work just depends on which jobs are on and how lazy people want to be.