Does TH Work On Ra/ex Drops??

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Does TH work on ra/ex drops??
Does TH work on ra/ex drops??
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-08 01:39:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's face it most GMs when asked about something just make ***up. I had one tell me tablets respawn right and that not only me but everyone I talked to and people from several different servers had clearly just not looked in the right place for the last 4 hours....

yeah like 2 hours after that SE announces the wait period
 Fairy.Azulmagia
Server: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2010-01-08 01:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Let's face it most GMs when asked about something just make ***up. I had one tell me tablets respawn right and that not only me but everyone I talked to and people from several different servers had clearly just not looked in the right place for the last 4 hours....

yeah like 2 hours after that SE announces the wait period

Just trying to cover their butts (and failing at it).
 Alexander.Helder
Server: Alexander
user: helder
By Alexander.Helder 2010-01-08 02:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

they probably say that to account for glitching. the game CAN glitch from time to time.

I know its not a drop but when a nin friend and I duoed the savage blade wsnm we touched the ???, killed it, then when i went to touch the ??? again to get the annals of truth i didnt get the key item and the thing just respawned and wtf pwned us.

Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-08 02:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Took too long probably
 Alexander.Helder
Server: Alexander
user: helder
By Alexander.Helder 2010-01-08 02:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Took too long probably

nah we called a GM and he said its been happening to others also and they were working on fixing it.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-08 03:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Whether it's luck or not, I can't say, but I currently have 15 sets of full AF, and I definitely feel as though TH has helped more often than not.

And as for no drops being guaranteed, that's 100% true. FFXI runs on a system based on 256ths, and the so-called "100%" drop rates are actually 65535/65536 chance of dropping, or 99.998% drop rate. Generally simplified to a 256/256 drop rate, and as such, a 1/1, or 100%. The error was just lost in translation, I guess.
[+]
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2010-01-08 03:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a pretty big supporter of the placebo theory, in that I've seen some awesome drops with no TH, and awful drops with TH4.

Case in point: Recently, I've gone 1/1 Wit Pendant, and 1/1 Layqa Seraweels both solo'd on PLD/NIN, no treasure hunter. They've supposedly got poor drop rates, so I hear. In the past I've seen full drops from Ixion with no TH, I've seen Hauteclaire and Ridill both drop with no TH.

On the other hand, earlier tonite I killed a Sandworm (King Arthro) that dropped absolutely nothing, and we had TH4. This is actually the 3rd time out of maybe 50 kills that I've seen Sandworm drop nothing, and we've had TH4 on every kill. I've also watched an Ixion drop nothing but it's 100% horn and tail... not even a crystal, and that kill had TH4 as well. Couldn't even begin to count the number of times we've killed King Vinegarroon with TH4 and got nothing but earth crystals.

After so much time spent on rare HNM spawns, I'm purely convinced that it's simply a /random number generator governing your drops. Either when you claim or when it dies, the game rolls the dice and if the outcome is within a certain range, then you get whatever item.

If treasure hunter were to affect this in any way, it probably just makes that range slightly larger, allowing for a greater chance at a successful /random.

For example, we'll use the Hauteclaire, an obviously ***drop rate. On the standard /random scale of 0-999, say you'd have to roll between 0 and 40 to get a Hauteclaire in your treasure pool. With TH3 on the hate list at the time of the kill, maybe /random between 0 and 50. TH4 might have a range of 0 to 60.

I'm not saying it's correct by any means, but it would seem likely to me.
[+]
 Garuda.Fullen
Server: Garuda
user: fullen
By Garuda.Fullen 2010-01-08 03:59:20
Link | Quote | Reply

All THF does is give you someone to blame when it doesn't drop.

Pic related, for the lolz.

[+]
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-08 03:59:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It would be more like TH3 is 0-50, and TH4 is 0-52. TH4 is useless.

But yes, that's exactly how TH is believed to work.
Sovereign said:
both solo'd on PLD/NIN, no treasure hunter. They've supposedly got poor drop rates, so I hear.

If they have poor drop rates, and you go 1/1, that doesn't mean TH is a lie. That means you got lucky.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Liquidz
Server: Pandemonium
user: liquidz
By Pandemonium.Liquidz 2010-01-08 04:11:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Fullen said:

When I switch my Thf's knife I see the difference too, it's in my left hand instead of my right. >.>

TH have so much BS going on about it lol... nobody agree on it still. I had to argue with someone for a long time the other day because he was saying that I need to be the Mob main hate target at least once in the fight for TH to work... how ridiculous would that be? lol

Sylph.Jax
Server: Sylph
user: MissJax
By Sylph.Jax 2010-01-08 04:12:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I think all the good drops are based on luck, imo, because I always get lucky on certain things and I only have TH1. & TH just helps with the amount of items dropped. Ever notice the amount of crystals you get when you have a THF in the PT!?
 Garuda.Fullen
By Garuda.Fullen 2010-01-08 04:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Azulmagia said:
I wouldn't mind getting paid to be ignorant/do nothing.

So get a job in pretty much any call/help center in the world, just because we enjoy this game doesn't mean they enjoy their job.

How long could you be a GM before all the whiny little *** who play FFXI pushed you beyond caring?
 Garuda.Sheila
user: Valkyrie
By Garuda.Sheila 2010-01-08 04:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I have heard it does work..then it doesn't...haha I don't think anyone knows...

I can confirm though with my friend who has TH4 he makes a lot of my RA/EX stuff drop ;)
 Phoenix.Lazuras
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Lazuras 2010-01-08 04:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

After playing THF for over three years now the only theory about TH I put any value in is the idea that it simply adds another "roll" of the treasure possibility. Treasure Hunter increases chance, not percentage or probability, just as the description says.
 Fenrir.Dannie
Server: Fenrir
user: Dannie
By Fenrir.Dannie 2010-01-08 04:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

from my experience each TH is 0.001% and it works on rare/ex BUT it gives an increase to all drops not just 1 or the other so if the mob drops Och kote or knuckles there basicly gonna be same drop rate because only one or the other can drop. i have no proven math. its just common sence that it incresses all drop not just one.
[+]
 Garuda.Fullen
By Garuda.Fullen 2010-01-08 05:02:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Dannie said:
from my experience each TH is 0.001%

silly quote is silly.

My bacon sammich was 0.001% tastier this morning too~
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Tetsoshi
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tetsoshii
By Quetzalcoatl.Tetsoshi 2010-01-08 05:43:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
TH is a myth
^ This.
 Fairy.Laia
Server: Fairy
user: Laia
By Fairy.Laia 2010-01-08 06:24:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Everytime ive seen a conversation about TH, the only thing that always comes to mind is this simple lil fact:

When FFxi closes down for good (because everyone is jumping into ff14) SE will probably release many secret (such as how TH works) to their faithful players and we will all just take a moment (cone of silence) and possibly ***our pants after learning the simple truth. Might be the biggest LoL! of our lives.

on a personal Note... Kill your NM or mobs without any TH. Your chances at getting what you want are that much better. I am a THF and with TH3 and all drops that ive needed/wanted r/ex have drop on a better rate on my RNG's kill. ex. Loxley bow 0/7 on THF <--(wtf) took RNG one day cuz i got tired of it, 1/1 RNG kill. So i agree with what Sovereign says.

Edit: Ramuh.Dasva said:
TH is a myth
^ This... <-- Second motion
By Garlend 2010-01-08 06:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Well ive read some of the interviews with SE and I think TH whatever # helps with all drops even if its R/E.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-01-08 06:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Diabolos.Sovereign

Sounds like a sensible theory, and you are right about the randomness making it almost possible to estimate.

Just to say when my old dynamis shell went from TH3 to TH4 we started averaging 1-3 more relics per run, same routes, similar number of kills etc. This in no way scientific, but it was a noticeable increase. Sure we had some rubbish runs with TH4 and some great runs as TH3, but generally TH4 > TH3.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2010-01-08 06:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
TH is a myth
 Cerberus.Saiya
Server: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2010-01-08 06:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The droprates that we really care about are the ones which are significantly small anyway, thus making them the desirable drops. Being desirable we are more critical and cynical about their drop rates and related issues, simply due to repeated frustration and disappointment. So it's no surprise that people have such a cynical attitude towards TH.

I'd sooner die than go Diorite farming without at least TH3 unless i'm soloing, yet even with TH4 it sometimes takes hours to get one. But the drop rate is ridiculously small and thus there's no sure way to identify when/if TH4 has kicked in.

But surely it's better to take SE's word for it... use TH with the 'possibility' that it helps drop rates, or don't use it because 'it's a myth' and be 'certain' you're getting no help? I know which i'd choose.

As an example, i've heard THF3/THF4s go 0/50+ on Nue's Fang. I'm 1/1 as WAR/NIN. Rather than this representing TH's uselessness I choose to believe that I had an ungodly amount of luck that day. It seems to be a better attitude to have^^

I can't comment with proof obviously, but from personal experience I feel having TH has helped greatly when i'm coffer key hunting. And i'm damned certain simply through hours spent & effort expended that it helped me a feckload with Angel Skins!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-01-08 07:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

My only experience on the validity of TH is the following:

Ose: 1/5 on AJ. 1 kill had TH2, kills 2-4 TH4, kill 5 no TH and got drop.

Dynamis: In snow areas, especially Xarcabard, definitely a notice in AF drops. 1-2 with TH3, 2-5 with TH4. TH1-2 seem not to help there, but do help somewhat in glacier.

Headlong belt NM: No effect.

Kirin: No effect.

The gob in ozozo that drops the moldavite earring, TH w/e helps a lot with drop.

Sky Gods: No effect.

Sky God Trigger NMS: TH4 seemed to have a noticeable effect on the weapons dropping, like Ulli's Axe.

Depending where and what you farm, seals seem to drop more with TH1 or greater. As far as the items your farming, it varies, but nothing I would go crazy about. Ex: Lizards skins, with TH4 you'll get 1-2 more skins.

Swift belt: No effect.

Nyzule Isle: NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER! I say that in caps, cause every run I've done on floor 80, ppl go nuts about having TH4, never seen askar body drop once (40+ runs). Yet did 1 floor 100 run without any TH, and bamn! got my askar head. Similar effect with floors 20 and 60 (though I lost lot on hands >:| ). Plus in nyzule you gotta be able to kill fast, and yeah a good SATA will give out some good damage, but I'll take a SAM, DRG, WAR, etc. over a thf.

So I'm very curious on the secret, but from what I've seen TH's effect and what level 1-4 varies greatly on the mob and NM and even area you're in.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-01-08 07:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing that gets me about TH though is how to activate it.

It's very simple to understand yet people don't.

From Wiki:

"This effect will remain active as long as the person with this trait is in the party/alliance, on the hate list of the mob (performed some action on the mob to generate hate), and within experience points range. Some amount of enmity is retained after a player is KO'ed, and also per SE commentary, the treasure hunter effect will remain even after the player has been KO'ed. " - http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Hunter

How hard is that to understand? This is why the best way to make sure TH is on the mob is to have the THF perform the first action on said mob, then stay within exp range. That's it.

No having to have hate the whole fight, and especially not having to have the THF deal the kill shot.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-01-08 08:03:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Fullen said:
All THF does is give you someone to blame when it doesn't drop.

Pic related, for the lolz.

Lol, I remember that.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-01-08 08:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never seen a THF main hand a thf's knife. Treasure Hunter + 1 is NOT a latent effect. It's the same as STR+1 or VIT+1 or Occasionally attacks twice. It works in either hand.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-01-08 09:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
I've never seen a THF main hand a thf's knife. Treasure Hunter 1 is NOT a latent effect. It's the same as STR 1 or VIT 1 or Occasionally attacks twice. It works in either hand.

I have seen it.

I have also seen:
* people delay kills so that THF gets the kill shot
* Drama over whether or not to kill Ramparts on Nyzul boss floors
* TH4 THF unwilling to take their Homam hands off as "TH4 doesn't help much" (cos we obviously took a TH4 THF for their leet damage [inb4 THF can DD])

TH is one of the things that people are still very superstitious about and have all sorts of strange beliefs
 Shiva.Xellith
Server: Shiva
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2010-01-08 09:11:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
My only experience on the validity of TH is the following:

Ose: 1/5 on AJ. 1 kill had TH2, kills 2-4 TH4, kill 5 no TH and got drop.

Dynamis: In snow areas, especially Xarcabard, definitely a notice in AF drops. 1-2 with TH3, 2-5 with TH4. TH1-2 seem not to help there, but do help somewhat in glacier.

Headlong belt NM: No effect.

Kirin: No effect.

The gob in ozozo that drops the moldavite earring, TH w/e helps a lot with drop.

Sky Gods: No effect.

Sky God Trigger NMS: TH4 seemed to have a noticeable effect on the weapons dropping, like Ulli's Axe.

Depending where and what you farm, seals seem to drop more with TH1 or greater. As far as the items your farming, it varies, but nothing I would go crazy about. Ex: Lizards skins, with TH4 you'll get 1-2 more skins.

Swift belt: No effect.

Nyzule Isle: NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER! I say that in caps, cause every run I've done on floor 80, ppl go nuts about having TH4, never seen askar body drop once (40 runs). Yet did 1 floor 100 run without any TH, and bamn! got my askar head. Similar effect with floors 20 and 60 (though I lost lot on hands >:| ). Plus in nyzule you gotta be able to kill fast, and yeah a good SATA will give out some good damage, but I'll take a SAM, DRG, WAR, etc. over a thf.

So I'm very curious on the secret, but from what I've seen TH's effect and what level 1-4 varies greatly on the mob and NM and even area you're in.

lol...

If it can or cant drop an item. TH works. What you just said makes me think you have no idea at all about TH lulz.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-08 09:20:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm interested as to how you can conclude TH has no effect as well.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-01-08 09:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Latent effect: Makes ppl make up stupid theories, and call them truth.