How Much Would We Really Know About FFXI...

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How much would we really know about FFXI...
How much would we really know about FFXI...
First Page 2 3
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-12-25 23:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

without the use of 3rd party programs such as Windower or the application of what is called "reverse engineering"?

First off, I just wanted to be clear that I am not attempting to begin an argument about the ethics behind windower, botting, parsing, or any other third party program available for use when concerning FFXI. I would appreciate if this topic was discussed in it's appropriate threads, as there are already multiples of them on this forum.

But with recent discussion as it is, this topic came to mind and I wanted to see what other people thought about it.

I ask again: How much would we really know about the workings of FFXI without the development and applicable use of third party programs to reverse engineer?

I ask this because I realize that without these things, many of the in-game testing that has been done and more importantly, the information those tests have provided to the community, would not be available without the original practice of reverse engineering.

For those interested, Article 2, Section 4 of the FINAL FANTASY XI Software License Agreement specifically prohibits the practice of reverse engineering. See for yourself at http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/FINAL_FANTASY_XI_Software_License_Agreement

The reason this question interests me is because of how many players have benefited from these works. Windower plugins such as Distance and TParty taught the community a great deal when it came to Area of Effect, and (in the case of TParty) when certain mobs would ready specific abilities at direct HP percentages. This information directly lead to the formation of commonly accepted battle strategies. 3rd party parsing software was able to prove differences between equipment setups, showing what would be best for certain actions and situations. One of the games most famous reverse engineers was Kaeko's enmity testing, a project that taught players how the enmity system worked and could be used to create advantages during battle.

I am fully aware there are more examples than what I just listed above. I just wanted to be clear that works and testing such as those above have directly led to the quality of information found in widely used resources such as FFXIclopedia, something used even by players condemning 3rd party programs and ToS breaches.

The introduction of said information has undoubtedly made the general player community more knowledgeable overall, and thus created better players. Even those who do not directly benefit from the use of these programs have indirectly benefited from the information these programs and tests have given to the community. If these things had never become available or were never tested, how good do you think we'd really be at playing this game? I'm not saying it would be impossible to figure these things out on your own, but the amount of time and effort involved would have been drastically increased, stacked on top of incredible amounts of trial and error failures. That being said, I feel the information provided to the player community by the use of 3rd party tools and the application of reverse engineering has completely changed the way we play the game and allowed us as players to become more successful during events and battles.

Thoughts?

[+]
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-12-26 05:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

no thoughts on this issue? normally you guys are all over stuff like this. wonder how many views and responses this thread would have had i named it something like "zomg windower is evil! and users must die!!"
[+]
 Valefor.Ghuda
Server: Valefor
user: Ghuda
By Valefor.Ghuda 2009-12-26 05:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Sovereign said:
no thoughts on this issue? normally you guys are all over stuff like this. wonder how many views and responses this thread would have had i named it something like "zomg windower is evil! and users must die!!"

Because it's a moot question that you pretty much answered yourself

Diabolos.Sovereign said:
I'm not saying it would be impossible to figure these things out on your own, but the amount of time and effort involved would have been drastically increased, stacked on top of incredible amounts of trial and error failures.

[+]
By Izey 2009-12-26 06:05:48
Link | Quote | Reply

What he said, and good point too.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2009-12-26 06:36:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone really care...?

FFXI as a game isnt very hard without windower plugins, and I don't think all these math testings really make or break everything. Plugins just make it more convenient.
[+]
By Izey 2009-12-26 07:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the naked guy is partially right, but FFXI is the Hardest
(Or maybe I should anoyingly long) MMO I've ever played.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-12-26 07:12:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Hohenheim said:
Does anyone really care...?

FFXI as a game isnt very hard without windower plugins, and I don't think all these math testings really make or break everything. Plugins just make it more convenient.

People obviously care... otherwise blogs like Kaeko's and highly informative sources such as FFXIclopedia and BlueGartr forums would not exist (at least not with the current quality of their information). This topic encompasses more than simple windower plugins, but all of the user created content that has spawned from the player community over the years.

Many of the battle strategies we commonly employ and take for granted may never have been employed had none of this testing ever taken place. If players were never interested in optimizing their damage outputs, would Kirin and Vrtra zergs have ever been possible, or even attempted? Would Pandemonium Warden still be undefeated? It'd be difficult to say just how far the community may have come in terms of accomplishments if none of this knowledge had been made so publically available.

A great example of this would be Absolute Virtue. An enemy deemed impossible to defeat by the overwhelming majority of the player community. Today, we are closer than ever to "legitimately" defeating AV through the information provided by the use of a third party application... specifically FFXI-APP's OnEvent leading to the confirmation of the 2hr lock method... something that likely would have never been proven if OnEvent was never employed.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2009-12-26 07:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Battle strategies for specific mobs and information on crafting levels, what NM drops what, etc I don't equate with math testings and w/e they heck people do with fstr cratio or w/e it is to make them do 1% more damage or raise accuracy in parsing by 1%
[+]
By Izey 2009-12-26 07:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

SE just likes to over complicate things, and not give us the simple tools/ basic tools that any MMO would have.

(Hey hey look, our game is mysterious, try doing this quest)

NPC: "I wan't something"
You: What?
NPC: "From somewhere"
You: Wtf you talking about?
NPC: "I'll be waiting."
YOU: WTF?!

[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2009-12-26 07:21:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep. Just about every quest I wouldnt even be bothered to even try to figure out where the hell the ??? was.

I remember from some rank promotion for toau off the top of my head...

it (the ???) is near the poof-poof! Do you know where poof-poof is!?

*** no, I don't.
[+]
By Izey 2009-12-26 07:23:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't seem to get over how much I hate this game, but I love it >_>

And it's soooooo stupid, World of Warcraft makes so much more sence, but WoW is soooooooooo boring, and soooooooooo easy.... it's most likely cause I played FFXI first, thats just me though.
[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2009-12-26 07:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I play because I dont know what else I'd do really :/

sure I like reading, and just talking with people, walking, w/e but you can't do that 24/7!
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-12-26 09:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I was hoping for more responses from the anti-third party bandwagon, though the lack of responses from that crowd leads me to believe that basically what I've said in the original post is true: that third party programs and user created content have (both directly and indirectly) made our gaming experience with FFXI a better one overall.

So if that's the case, then why are there so many players condemning the use of third party programs?

Why would Square Enix refuse to acknowledge these facts, and instead make it a point to ban players engaged in these activities despite their overwhelming contributions to the player community? It seems like they're purposefully hindering our progress by attempting to prevent us from learning the intricacies of a game they won't tell us anything about.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-12-26 09:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I am intrigued how the whiny anti-third party app crowd will try to argue their way out of this one.

Without third party tools, you wouldn't be half as good as you are now, even if you don't use them. You use the knowledge gained from them.
[+]
 Seraph.Aena
Server: Seraph
user: Phoenixe
By Seraph.Aena 2009-12-26 09:21:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if you'd be surprised how much you can simply observe. ,_,

Maybe I've been playing too long, though, if I can measure everything by sight (optimal ranged attack and maximum skill/ranged/magic distance) and have never touched windower or any other 3rd party applications (maybe I'm even on a console, you never know), or know how to communicate to party members during battle and trust they'll give me a TP notice simply when they hit 100% or tag it onto any macros they might use - but if it keeps me from getting killed in anything where the other players can't play without them, then that's great, I guess? I would presume people would be able to just look at HP and be like "oh, this is roughly 30% HP and he used this," unless it's much harder than I think for non-artists or mathematically-inclined people to approximate things by eye...

IMO it just made too many serious elitists rather than players who only play the game for fun, though.
"OH MY GOD YOU ARE PLAYING THIS GAME WRONG."
Then again, I can't understand why play when you don't have fun.
[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-12-26 09:29:38
Link | Quote | Reply

To some people, playing this game to its full potential is fun for them.

Who are you to determine what is fun for everyone?
[+]
 Ifrit.Hitoseijuro
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Hitoseijuro 2009-12-26 09:43:27
Link | Quote | Reply

^ Just like the above poster said, I learned the in and outs of this game with observation. I generally placed land marks during fights that werent kited to know my position. I knew if i stood at this spot, I would avoid paralyze move from cerb, but still cast on it/players, I knew that if I stood on the top ledge Id avoid its TP moves 99% of the time, I know if Tiamat was positioned at a certain point, I could use terrain to avoid its AoE moves. I know if Faith was casting on me, I run to the opposite side of the grid as fast as possible without looking back >.>; Trial and error is probably what got us to know where to stand.

The only thing windower did for me, and the only reason I even bother to use it recently was the extra macro lines. Honestly, Ive done my best to acquire the gear Ive worked hard for in this game, and all I can do is macro 4-6 pieces of it at a time? Some of the things I do almost require a full 12 slot macro. On pld it was insane the amount of macros I had to push just to get 1 thing going. I like to push my char/job as far as I can, and the macro lines SE gave us, to me doesnt allow me to push it. Can I get the job done? Yes, but could do it *better* and efficiently pump out a bit more performance out of it. No one would probably notice it, but for me, I would, and that makes all the difference to me.

Note: its still not needed, but hell, I do looooooove using all the gear I have as much as possible.
[+]
 Seraph.Aena
By Seraph.Aena 2009-12-26 09:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

"Playing this game to its full potential," do you mean these same players would have fun without any plug-ins and simply the game as it was presented on the PS2 console?

(I'm not saying what's fun for everyone. I meant too many elitists in the self-absorbed-and-vocal-about-it sense just because they read something. Promyvion nightmaaare.)

@Above post, the extra macro lines would be nice rather than switching pages between gear-swapping and actual moves/recast notices, but... I'll suffer with the console players, lol... ; ;
[+]
 Valefor.Ghuda
Server: Valefor
user: Ghuda
By Valefor.Ghuda 2009-12-26 09:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
I am intrigued how the whiny anti-third party app crowd will try to argue their way out of this one. Without third party tools, you wouldn't be half as good as you are now, even if you don't use them. You use the knowledge gained from them.

LOL you are such a *** retard.
[+]
 Seraph.Majinn
user: Cojak
By Seraph.Majinn 2009-12-26 09:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
I am intrigued how the whiny anti-third party app crowd will try to argue their way out of this one.

Without third party tools, you wouldn't be half as good as you are now, even if you don't use them. You use the knowledge gained from them.

People seemed to do just fine when the game was first released and there were no third party apps. Game knowledge was based on people going out and testing concepts for themselves without using third party tools and sharing the info with others. I'm pretty sure it'll be the same w/ FFXIV. You're certainly entitled to use third party tools and I'm entitled not to, let's just leave it at that.
[+]
 Kujata.Segaia
Server: Kujata
user: Segaia
By Kujata.Segaia 2009-12-26 09:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Izey said:
NPC: "I wan't something"
You: What?
NPC: "From somewhere"
You: Wtf you talking about?
NPC: "I'll be waiting."
YOU: WTF?!

Normal words can't describe the truth of this. Lol'd way to hard when i read this XD

[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-12-26 09:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Aena said:
"Playing this game to its full potential," do you mean these same players would have fun without any plug-ins and simply the game as it was presented on the PS2 console?

(I'm not saying what's fun for everyone. I meant too many elitists in the self-absorbed-and-vocal-about-it sense just because they read something. ,_,)

I'm talking about, as merely one example, people who read up on enmity and how it works, and put it into action in the game.

Also, let's take an NM like Capricious Cassie as an example. More specifically, this quote:
Quote:
Bad Breath and Sweet Breath have an AoE range of 50'.

Ignoring the blatantly obvious grammatical error, how would we know that Bad Breath and Sweet Breath have an AoE range of 50'? Do you think someone just pulled that number out of their butt one day and said "Yea, this sounds good" ? That number, along with all the other numbers like that on multiple NM pages on the wiki were found out with Windower plug ins.

I have to ask, do you use Wiki at all? Have you ever looked up information to anything related in this game? If you have, I can pretty much tell you that practically every page on there has at least one valuable piece of information that was gathered with the use of a third party tool.

Why are you so afraid of knowledge? Why does it scare you so much?
 Bahamut.Oblivion
Server: Bahamut
user: remnant
By Bahamut.Oblivion 2009-12-26 10:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Two Ways of Seeing a River by Mark Twain
Quote:
Now when I had mastered the language of this water and had come to know every trifling feature that bordered the great river as familiarly as I knew the letters of the alphabet, I had made a valuable acquisition. But I had lost something, too. I had lost something which could never be restored to me while I lived. All the grace, the beauty, the poetry had gone out of the majestic river! I still keep in mind a certain wonderful sunset which I witnessed when steamboating was new to me. A broad expanse of the river was turned to blood; in the middle distance the red hue brightened into gold, through which a solitary log came floating, black and conspicuous; in one place a long, slanting mark lay sparkling upon the water; in another the surface was broken by boiling, tumbling rings, that were as many-tinted as an opal; where the ruddy flush was faintest, was a smooth spot that was covered with graceful circles and radiating lines, ever so delicately traced; the shore on our left was densely wooded, and the sombre shadow that fell from this forest was broken in one place by a long, ruffled trail that shone like silver; and high above the forest wall a clean-stemmed dead tree waved a single leafy bough that glowed like a flame in the unobstructed splendor that was flowing from the sun. There were graceful curves, reflected images, woody heights, soft distances; and over the whole scene, far and near, the dissolving lights drifted steadily, enriching it, every passing moment, with new marvels of coloring.

I stood like one bewitched. I drank it in, in a speechless rapture. The world was new to me, and I had never seen anything like this at home. But as I have said, a day came when I began to cease from noting the glories and the charms which the moon and the sun and the twilight wrought upon the river's face; another day came when I ceased altogether to note them. Then, if that sunset scene had been repeated, I should have looked upon it without rapture, and should have commented upon it, inwardly, in this fashion: "This sun means that we are going to have wind to-morrow; that floating log means that the river is rising, small thanks to it; that slanting mark on the water refers to a bluff reef which is going to kill somebody's steamboat one of these nights, if it keeps on stretching out like that; those tumbling 'boils' show a dissolving bar and a changing channel there; the lines and circles in the slick water over yonder are a warning that that troublesome place is shoaling up dangerously; that silver streak in the shadow of the forest is the 'break' from a new snag, and he has located himself in the very best place he could have found to fish for steamboats; that tall dead tree, with a single living branch, is not going to last long, and then how is a body ever going to get through this blind place at night without the friendly old landmark?"

No, the romance and the beauty were all gone from the river. All the value any feature of it had for me now was the amount of usefulness it could furnish toward compassing the safe piloting of a steamboat. Since those days, I have pitied doctors from my heart. What does the lovely flush in a beauty's cheek mean to a doctor but a "break" that ripples above some deadly disease? Are not all her visible charms sown thick with what are to him the signs and symbols of hidden decay? Does he ever see her beauty at all, or doesn't he simply view her professionally, and comment upon her unwholesome condition all to himself? And doesn't he sometimes wonder whether he has gained most or lost most by learning his trade?

[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-12-26 10:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Majinn said:
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:

People seemed to do just fine when the game was first released and there were no third party apps. Game knowledge was based on people going out and testing concepts for themselves without using third party tools and sharing the info with others. I'm pretty sure it'll be the same w/ FFXIV. You're certainly entitled to use third party tools and I'm entitled not to, let's just leave it at that.

You're entitled not to use third party programs. There's no doubt about it. But don't act like everything that is considered common knowledge now would still be considered as such without the use of third party programs.

Also, when the game first started, the level cap was 50, the highest rank was rank 5, and there wasn't 20 jobs to level. People seem to forget that.
[+]
 Seraph.Aena
By Seraph.Aena 2009-12-26 10:16:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Er, as a sort of curious scholar, I'd say I don't "fear" it and that I'm sure people would have worked other relative descriptions out just fine ("edge of/off radar," "beyond x attack range," "within/out of engaging range," "distance from x landmark to y landmark," "freaking huge"). I don't see why present it as a "fear of knowledge" rather than "providing no deference to players who didn't do it 'legitimately' out of experience."

50' means nothing to a non-Windower user though, considering there's no naturally-displayed measurement system like that in FFXI anyway.
I will give that an actual written measurement for me was indeed useful for citation once when saying Animated Flourish has the same range as Provoke in the THF NM list here, though something like that would be easy to learn from experiences with both skills.

I do add/correct/review/observe info on Wiki, though, with my obvious Windower ignorance. So much better without ads. /sigh Still wonder if people have decided Macarons are synthesis skill items after all (something like that can just take recorded numbers to figure out, though).
[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-12-26 10:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Aena said:
50' means nothing to a non-Windower user though, considering there's no displayed measurement system like that in FFXI.

Actually, 50' is the furthest you can go while still seeing the mob on your screen. If you can see the mob, you're within 50', therefore can get hit by those AoEs. So it is useful for non-Windower users, had they taken the time to find out core measurements beforehand. (Of course, they wouldn't because that knowledge was gained from "cheating.")
[+]
 Seraph.Aena
By Seraph.Aena 2009-12-26 10:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

So, "furthest distance monster will appear on screen," that's even more simple than my examples.
[+]
 Seraph.Majinn
user: Cojak
By Seraph.Majinn 2009-12-26 10:24:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Seraph.Majinn said:
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:

You're entitled not to use third party programs. There's no doubt about it. But don't act like everything that is considered common knowledge now would still be considered as such without the use of third party programs.

Also, when the game first started, the level cap was 50, the highest rank was rank 5, and there wasn't 20 jobs to level. People seem to forget that.

Now you're just being presumptuous. But let me put it this way, I don't need a third party tool to tell we what "Mighty Strikes" or "Dual-Wield" entails it being common knowledge and all.

Also, FFXI wiki and other prevalent sites didn't exist when the game first started. People seem to forget that as well. As I mentioned before people went and attempted things for themselves and shared the info with others without the use of third party tools.
[+]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-12-26 10:31:42
Link | Quote | Reply

If you guys are so against third party use, why are you even on this site? We aren't meant to see the purchasing history of each and every single player on every server. We aren't meant to see the prices of things on other servers, and how they compare to our own. If SE intended for that, wouldn't they have just made their own site?

Furthermore, why is Wiki considered a premier site when it clearly has information gathered from third party software?

[+]
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-12-26 10:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Answer to the main question:

Until Absolute Virtue can be killed by a shout group in whitegate, we don't know a hell of a lot about this game.
[+]
First Page 2 3