Annihilator vs. Yoichinoyumi
 Carbuncle.Laitha
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2009-12-15 10:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sindri said:
Gun isnt useful for HNM situations except for wyrms, your gonna wanna be far from the mob. Khim, Cerb, KB, Aspi, etc; etc; your all going to be a fair distance from the mob, I was under the impression Vulcan's Staff Bows were better here. Either way I guess theyre both fantastic.

Using this build for 5 hit on RNG/SAM

Your damage output on any HNM vs bow would be better due to the quicker WS and better hate control. Not dying equals more time shooting the mob, but of course you can always argue that the ls your with its 10 aegis + burtang plds never loses hate. The whole magical sweet spot location isn't as important as many people think. Who knows maybe there is a rng out their that steps off the g spot and can only do 200 dmg slugwinders and this is the basis for everones constant reference to the distance damage as the holy grail explanation for why they only use this weapon.

I carry with me gear for the worse tank situation possible

I carry all ranged weapon types and ammo with me at all times when on rng because hey you never known when the situation will change or when i want to just shoot mobs with scorp arrows cuz i'm being cheap.

Some people are main job rangers while other people are not and it shows in both instances.
 Hades.Lilg
Server: Hades
user: Lilg
By Hades.Lilg 2009-12-15 11:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

The enmity down set needs Buccaneer's Belt.

If you really need the additional racc, swap out those god awful Scout Bracer's (+1 or not, its still awful).
 Unicorn.Ellimist
Server: Unicorn
user: Ellimist
By Unicorn.Ellimist 2009-12-15 11:50:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Lathia, you have an excess of Store TP. You can replace the Mekki Shakki with a Vulcan's Staff and the Skadi pants with Scout's or Dusk. A /sam Anni only needs 6Stp, in which case a Rajas and a Brutal would probably serve as the least amount of STR, Racc, Ratt, or Agi is loss. If you are /war or /nin, the build you have there is a spot-on 20.0 TP per hit 5-hit build. But you said /sam.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Artaxerxes
Server: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Artaxerxes 2009-12-15 11:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sindri said:
Gun isnt useful for HNM situations except for wyrms, your gonna wanna be far from the mob. Khim, Cerb, KB, Aspi, etc; etc; your all going to be a fair distance from the mob, I was under the impression Vulcan's Staff Bows were better here. Either way I guess theyre both fantastic.

Unless optimum range for bow is 20+ you're always going to be in range of hnm attacks.

khim- fulm is like 30 but you get the benefit of elevation
cerb- goh is 20
kb-thunderbolt is 40. and meteor is a spell so 29
aspi doesnt have any damaging aoe's
 Carbuncle.Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2009-12-15 15:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Lilg said:
The enmity down set needs Buccaneer's Belt. If you really need the additional racc, swap out those god awful Scout Bracer's ( 1 or not, its still awful).

oh thats just off of gear i have its by no means a perfect set. its just for pure -enmity.
 Carbuncle.Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2009-12-15 15:56:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ellimist

I thought you needed 21 STP on gear combined with the store tp traits on /sam for a 582 delay weapon? Hmm i guess I will use that for a 5 hit build /war and have the best of both worlds when i finally acquire the last items I am missing.

I have not used this since I am still leveling my SAM up to 37 for RNG subjob, so I must have not understood the calculator I used to get that number.

Thanks for the info.
 Unicorn.Ellimist
Server: Unicorn
user: Ellimist
By Unicorn.Ellimist 2009-12-15 16:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The delay is not 582, though. You have to add the delay of the ammo, which would be silver bullets. So the delay is 582+240, and THAT is how you calculate your TP per hit for ranged weapons. It should also be noted the the delay of ranged weapons is not the same as melee weapons, so you should never have to feel bad about using guns.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2009-12-15 17:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yoichi is a SAM weapon. Nobody should ever choose yoichi over annihilator if they are looking for a pure RNG weapon. If you want something for both jobs, then fine, get the bow. But if you're looking for a relic for rng only, you will be disappointed by the bow. Not to mention coronach is amazing compared to the aftermath of namas arrow.
 Sylph.Sindri
Server: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2009-12-15 20:05:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Im not saying Bow is at its best 20+, Im saying its significantly better than gun at that distance.
 Fairy.Brenda
Server: Fairy
user: Jornna
By Fairy.Brenda 2009-12-15 20:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

All I know is, I did a merit with a relic gun RNG and I as on COR/WAR.

His average WS was 2000, mine was 1800.
 Sylph.Sindri
Server: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2009-12-15 23:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you have fully merited STR though? And have to take other gear into account there, most likely the Gun but you never know.
 Fairy.Brenda
By Fairy.Brenda 2009-12-16 02:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Both of us had 5/5 STR
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-16 02:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Well it's not like annihilator has some omg crazy dmg stat on it so yeah it's easily possible especially with race differences and gear differences
 Remora.Abriel
Server: Remora
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-16 02:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

was he using rng/war, or a different sub? and is that parsed averages or eye-balled?
 Asura.Cyssero
Server: Asura
user: Miliani85
By Asura.Cyssero 2009-12-16 04:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Brenda said:
All I know is, I did a merit with a relic gun RNG and I as on COR/WAR. His average WS was 2000, mine was 1800.

Until you provide some pics or actual data, I'm gonna have to find this hard to believe. First off, what were the gear setups between you two? Saying, "he was wearing pimp gear" means nothing. Also, what were you fighting precisely? If it was Colibri (default judgment), then obviously this RNG was crap, because his averages should've been above 2k (assuming Slug shot when applicable, I don't know ws averages of Coronach).

Not to mention what ws was he using in particular? Was it Slug vs. Slug, was he spamming Coronach, etc? This needs a lot more information then you saying he was averaging 2k while you were 1.8k. Not to say you're lying, but with a COR's B rating in Marksmanship and the fact that you're /WAR, leads me to believe you'd have to sacrifice a lot in damage gear wise to even make your Slugs land consistently. Not as much if you were on birds, but even if you were, as stated above, that RNG must've been really crappy to only average 2k.
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-16 09:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

/war v. /other is going to make a large difference when talking about ranged damage (berzerk), and brenda doesn't mention being consistently accurate. what she's (?) saying is possible, but circumstantially, it's not like she's claiming to be keeping up with damage (would be impossible to believe it at that point).

for the most part, the rng would need to be gimping themself some how for some reason (lower-hit build /sam?).

slug(cor) v slug(rng) we're looking at likely a 100 difference in likely damage in favor of the rng before pDif. estimating it'd take a pDif value of ~2.4 for cor to hit claimed average, and rng 2.35 (that should be a 6% difference of atk, yeah?). pDif values don't seem right for it to be slug v slug, so let's see what we get with coronach.

slug(cor) v cronoach(rng) we're seeing about the same difference in damage pre-pDif (100) but in favor of the cor. so that's still pDif of 2.4 for cor, but we need a pDif of 3.1 for the rng... unrealistic, must have been fighting mobs that take extra piercing damage, considering this is a merit pt let's say colibri.

piercing gets +25% damage on colibri? if so, it'll take a pDif of ~1.8 for cor to average claimed slug number, and ~2.3 for rng to hit claimed average for cronoach. that sounds much more realistic, so it's most likely that the rng was using cronoach for some reason, the only reason I can see in doing so would be for spamming it while using kc to tp.

now my numbers could be off quite a bit 'cause I've only calculated damage for rng on rare occasions, but it should be close none the less, lol.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-12-16 09:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Brenda said:
All I know is, I did a merit with a relic gun RNG and I as on COR/WAR.

His average WS was 2000, mine was 1800.

Everyone seems to be skipping the most important question.

Was the RNG aware he was being parsed?

If not then it isn't a fair comparison, as we all know their are some merit parties where you simply aren't trying.

Some times you just want to sit back and cruse your way through a few merits without stressing.

Things like keeping your JA's up as soon as the timers are ready, WSing at the correct distance, /ra-ing ASAP, switching target ASAP etc all slip when you don't care (I have even seen rngs use cheap ammo during merits).
 Carbuncle.Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2009-12-16 09:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

he was using bronze bullets lol
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-16 09:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

knowing whether or not you're being parsed won't generally change WS dmg unless you're some jackass that doesn't care about your damage and can't be bothered to macro gear or pop an ability for a WS, lol. (there's always spellcast for doing this kind of stuff too...)
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-12-16 09:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Abriel said:
knowing whether or not you're being parsed won't generally change WS dmg unless you're some jackass that doesn't care about your damage and can't be bothered to macro gear or pop an ability for a WS, lol.

Or you miss berserk, sharpshot or flashy shot timers... All of which will effect your WS average.

If he was doing this then he is a lazy *** RNG, but the fact remains, you can not compare 2 people when 1 of them doesn't know there is a race.

Its like seeing Usain Bolt walking down the street, and you beat him to the corner. It DOESN'T make you the fastest man on the planet!
 Hades.Kvazz
Server: Hades
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-12-16 09:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

1.8k avarage dmg on Cor, idk... I've pulled off 2k+ on wivres at birdcamp as cor, but that's _FAR_ from my avarage dmg >_>
I'd say my avarage dmg as COR\WAR in a colibri-party would be like 1.1k-ish.
Down to 900ish when I gotta put up fresh-roll ect and dont have atk roll on myself, up to 1.4k with drk roll, zerk and warcry.
Were you eating meat and just shooting like 3 bullets each mob?
Or were you meleeing? Using sushi with a haste-set or meat with a pure acc-set?
I allways eat sushi, but then again, i get to ws allmost every mob, if you'r eating meat, you'd ws alot less, but might pull off 1.8k slugs when you do.
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-16 09:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I've already outlined a situation where those averages are possible, outside of that it would have to be pretty extreme of a situation for it to be possible outside of an extremely gimped relic gun rng, lol.

edited note; if you want to make a viable argument for/against something it would be best to throw out some info using known formulas or standards to backup your case. parse information generally isn't viable in terms of damage totals, but it does work for average highs/lows of singular attacks. that doesn't mean information behind those averages isn't needed, knowing buffs/food/abilities/subs helps to narrow down any possible explanations.
 Fairy.Brenda
By Fairy.Brenda 2009-12-16 10:26:14
Link | Quote | Reply

He knows he was being parsed.

It was a SAM/WAR Bow relic, RNG/WAR Gun Relic, and me as COR/WAR

Rolls were SAM + Chaos Roll. The Ranger wanted SAM for an X hit build. Think it was only 6 hit, might have been 5.

Yes, I was meleeing and using Sushi.

Obviously he did more overall dmg than me.

It was Slug vs Slug.

No, I wasnt whiffing, I missed like, 2-3 slugs.

Yes it was at birds.

Ill try to pull up his gear.
 Asura.Cyssero
By Asura.Cyssero 2009-12-16 10:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Brenda said:
He knows he was being parsed. It was a SAM/WAR Bow relic, RNG/WAR Gun Relic, and me as COR/WAR Rolls were SAM Chaos Roll. The Ranger wanted SAM for an X hit build. Think it was only 6 hit, might have been 5. Yes, I was meleeing and using Sushi. Obviously he did more overall dmg than me. It was Slug vs Slug. No, I wasnt whiffing, I missed like, 2-3 slugs. Yes it was at birds. Ill try to pull up his gear.

Please do! If his gear is any comparison to mine, yet still pull unimpressive numbers like that, I think I'll just give up on going after gun since I average higher numbers then that with my V. Bow. It will really be depressing if Annihilator pulls numbers so low like that on Slug, regardless of the overall usefulness of it. One more thing, was this your average ws, or was this what you were averaging with berserk up? I know food would be necessary for a COR/WAR to keep up acc wise, but was the RNG using any food at all?
 Fairy.Brenda
By Fairy.Brenda 2009-12-16 10:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It was a parsed Average, was not eye balled or anything like that.

My high was like, 2.2k and his high was around 2.5k

The RNG was using coueral subs.

Any my WSgear set on COR is in my profile.

the Moogle head helps a lot.
 Asura.Cyssero
By Asura.Cyssero 2009-12-16 10:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

That's pretty sad considering with proper buffs (Chaos Roll/Dia II, I rarely get a Minuet), I average ~2.2-2.5k (eyeballed) and ~3k with aforementioned buffs + Berserk. Highest was 3350 (Flashy included I believe, don't remember), so for the RNG to be pulling numbers lower then this with a relic gun kind of detracts me from dumping another 100M or so to complete Annihilator if his gear was in comparison to mine, because then it will be just a downgrade from what I already have.
 Fairy.Brenda
By Fairy.Brenda 2009-12-16 10:43:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Let me see what you use for WS and I can tell you easier what he had.
 Asura.Cyssero
By Asura.Cyssero 2009-12-16 10:54:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Just posted mine up.
 Fairy.Brenda
By Fairy.Brenda 2009-12-16 10:58:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I know for head he uses the moogle head with same augments as I have.

neck is light gorget, hands are S. Kotes, Feet is relic socks. Ring is flame.

Legs im pretty sure he uses Pln legs.
 Asura.Cyssero
By Asura.Cyssero 2009-12-16 11:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Well assuming everything else was the same between us 2 (gear wise), he has slightly higher +STR then me; maybe AGI plays more of a factor then I thought (considering marksmanship weaponskills rely more on AGI then STR), which is probably why I average higher with my bow? I'm really curious as obviously I have a few upgrades I need to do and have no STR merits, yet my numbers are higher.