First Page 2
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-12-11 11:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys! I have a question about RNG bow when I hit 75.

I'm currently leveling it and I was told that E. Bow is the next best bow to get but I don't want to spend 4 mil on that bow and I don't have time to camp the NM in Fei'Yin since I only play sporadically at night (EST).

Then I was thinking about just getting a bow to augment Fay Gendawa or another bow.

Are there any better choices for next bow after E.bow? Any information that will help is appreciated. :)

Thank you :P

Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-12-11 12:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Selene's Bow

Whether it beats Gendawa I do not know, It probably depends on what the Fay gets auged, but certainly a good Ebow sub till 75.
 Ramuh.Zangada
Server: Ramuh
user: zangada
By Ramuh.Zangada 2009-12-11 12:05:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Selene' bow, force pop nm in Ulegurend Range.
 Phoenix.Wayako
Server: Phoenix
user: Wayako
By Phoenix.Wayako 2009-12-11 12:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I also recommend Selene's Bow if you can't get Ebow. Depending on moon phase its output can at least some of the time match ebow, and at the other side of the moon phase it becomes very accurate. I have not looked much into Gendawa but once I do if I find it works better I will update my post.
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-11 12:08:38
Link | Quote | Reply

E bow, Fay, and Selene's are all respectable choices. =)
 Siren.Kuz
Server: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2009-12-11 12:11:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately, I STRONGLY Suggest E.bow/V.bow
And honestly... I'd just save for one.

But since time and money at the moment are an issue..
I'd say try your Luck with the Fay-Bow.
I've seen some VERY nice augments in SS's on those.

Couple that with the head piece from Kupo Expansion...
and it could be pretty formidable.

Selene's Bow I have a grudge against.
Sure its easily camped...
But its too inconsistent.
I personally wouldn't want to waste the time on a weapon I will depend on.. if it's stats change with moon phase between "Kinda as good as E.Bow" to "No where near as good...but I'm accurate"
[+]
 Bahamut.Evilswine
Server: Bahamut
user: Evilswine
By Bahamut.Evilswine 2009-12-11 12:13:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Well S-Bow is a decent option and also needs "some" time to get.
Fay needs luck and time to get good augments.

If you wanna have an easier and faster option just get Cobra Unit Bow its high base DMG lets you get some nice SS numbers + its cheap.

But still nothing (except Yoichi) beats E/V-Bow.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-12-11 12:17:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Well moon phase might be a problem cause every time I needed the full moon, it's at 10am est :/ and I'm at work. Since xmas break is coming I may be able to come on for full moon or new moon.

Gil isn't really an issue but I really don't want to spend 4 mil on a bow that I might barely use.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-12-11 12:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not a big fan of Selene's Bow. Having accuracy and attack depend on the moon was a wee bit irritating. My Fay Gendowa is pretty respectable, not as good as an E.bow or V.bow but I have the same problem as you do with that. I'm not dropping 4 mil on a bow, even if I could afford it (which I can't) that price is outrageous, and between college, homework, work, and events, I really don't have time to camp V.bow. A couple different options that you can do to get an E.bow or V.bow is the BCNM for E.bow (I've never tried it, but a couple of my friends tell me it is easy as cake. Unfortunately the drop rate on E.bow in it is miserable.) Or you can spam Nyzul NM's and hope to get a ??? bow off of Eastern Shadow appraised into Vali's. (Also a low desired-appraisal rate, but half an hour killing things in Nyzul is much more fun than sitting in a white-washed room in the basement of Fei'yin for 6 hours staring at the wall.)
 Siren.Kuz
Server: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2009-12-11 12:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Gil isn't really an issue but I really don't want to spend 4 mil on a bow that I might barely use.

How often are you planning to use RNG then?

If it's just a "Shits and giggles" job for you, As Evilswine suggested... Cobra Bow could be right up your alley.

Its cheap. basically FREE if you use your Allied Notes.
No camping or ToD's involved.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-12-11 12:28:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Well if I'm at events with my linkshell I'm usually BLM, mnk if its a needed job, or war if low on dd. If I get rng, I dunno if I will be RNG but I would want to than always be BLM. I see other players as rng in the ls come to events so I think I would play it more than my war :/

Caitsith.Iphone
Server: Caitsith
user: Imola
By Caitsith.Iphone 2009-12-11 12:58:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria just augment few Fay Gendawa bows. They're pretty cheap but it does take luck to get good stats.
I haven't been playing lately but I have 3 Fays gendawa's that I use depending on situations.

+4 STR +16 R. Attack +5% WS Dmg - Use for Zergs
+3 STR +18 R. Attack +15 WS accuracy - Use for High Eva NM's
+5 STR +18 R. Attack Delay - 10% - Use for merit Exp

And it didn't cost much was only 90k total if your to buy in AH, but I had friends make them for me since a lot of them have WW up and recipes are cheap. Did maybe good 7-8 Runs before I got augments I liked. But it's nice. I had E-bow before sold it since I don't play RNG as much now, can't say I miss it. But yup, hope this help.

Selenes Bow is MEH.
Ebow - Too expensive if your not gonna play RNG a lot not worth it.
Vbow - If you like camping.

If anything you want good DMG go camp O-Bow and play marksmanship lol. Bolts are cheap, dmg's are very nice, and Trueflights looks awesome although you would have to totally change your gears for that WS. First time Moldavite earring plays in game for RNG and since you have BLM I'm sure you have that earring! SEE :)

I usually pull for my Dynamis using Ziska Bow which has a pretty quick delay, and spam Trueflight on statues to help BLAM's out it's fun specially subbing SAM. Enjoy.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-12-11 13:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I may try a few augments, are the fights hard?
 Valefor.Welfare
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Welfare 2009-12-11 14:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I have O.Bow and Selene's. I have 8/8 on Archery because of sam/rng but if I didn't enjoy soloing Snoll in 18~ seconds for people, I would drop Archery merits and put them in Marksmanship and just main O.Bow.
As mentioned; the damage is respectable and Trueflight is a cool WS.

I went 1/2 on O.Bow. Takes 12~ hours to pop Wyvernpoacher and he's a lottery spawn but you can easily read up on that on wiki so I won't waste thread space on it.

The ONLY weapon I bothered spending 2m+ for was my Blau and I'm even considering dumping that since there is better out there.

Some people like their fruit a little riper, others like their fruit with a bit more crunch. It's all personal preferance.

Another factor to consider is that if you're RNG, there are going to be other people working with you and while you might be A1 elite, they might suck all sorts of *** and their gear could follow suit. That drops the overall efficiency of your PT/Alliance by like 50% (just for argument's sake - not to be considered an actual percentage), and nullifies all the work you put into your rng. Not to mention, if they suck and you eat dirt, all that gear you have is doing 100% nothing.

I reitterate; Reraise is a paramount concern or at least should be, of everyone and anyone that does anything in Final Fantasy. FF9 they call it "Auto-Life" lol

Edit:
I forgot to mention another favorite benefit of O.Bow vs. S/E/V.bow & Fay Gendawa - status bolts. I'm sure that needs nothing more than casual mention as everyone already understands their purpose.
Simply setup a few macros with /equip ammo "Status bolt here" /ra <t> and slap the macro if you should need some Bloody bolts etc.

[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-12-11 15:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Or just use Guns, because at 75 they're superior to Bows. Solves the problem of worrying about a good bow, nobody is really going to mind if you don't have an E/VBow to exp with since you'll still be topping your PT's damage.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-12-11 15:24:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Guns are sooo slow though,

Anyway here are my Fay Augs.

http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots.php?id=24280

http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots.php?id=24279

I used Selene's until 75 then switch between these 2 but mostly use the R.Attack +18 one.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-12-11 15:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Were the battles hard? Can I solo a battle or do I need to have a group?
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-12-11 15:47:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Is that where you got your augments from?

Looks like all give different augments.

Excesspain, where did you do yours?
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-11 16:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Welfare said:
I forgot to mention another favorite benefit of O.Bow vs. S/E/V.bow & Fay Gendawa - status bolts. I'm sure that needs nothing more than casual mention as everyone already understands their purpose.
Simply setup a few macros with /equip ammo "Status bolt here" /ra <t> and slap the macro if you should need some Bloody bolts etc.

Holy bolts and Trueflight both share a MND mod btw

Actually true flight is agi modded. Extremely. Also seeing as trueflight dmg and the additionally dmg/effects of bolts don't have anything to do with xbow dmg you'd be better off getting a faster xbow.
 Caitsith.Foliage
user: Foliage
By Caitsith.Foliage 2009-12-11 16:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I was never able to obtain V.bow and I used an E.bow for a while but decided it's not worth the money so I stuck with Selene's, but do to it's menstrual cycle, I've decided it's only good some of the time. I was excited when I came back to the game to learn about the new Fay items and tried the bow first. First try at augment and I got this. I love it. Its lack of accuracy can easily be made back by a decently augmented Anwig Salade such as STR+4 AGI+4 Weaponskill Accuracy)+15 Weaponskill Damage+2% and a Breeze Gorget. Anyhow, I love it more than E.bow and it's well worth trying to get.

Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-12-11 16:31:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh that looks good, what battle fight did you do for that? I know its all random but just seeing where mostly ppl got these augments from.
 Caitsith.Foliage
user: Foliage
By Caitsith.Foliage 2009-12-11 16:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I got it from Grauberg(S) and as far as I know, there are set augments and ranges on their values. See Fay Gendawa. Also I forgot to mention, an advantage of having this bow, and this is arguable, is that it has higher delay so you get quite a bit more TP per hit and uses less arrows over time.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-11 17:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Foliage said:
I got it from Grauberg(S) and as far as I know, there are set augments and ranges on their values. See Fay Gendawa. Also I forgot to mention, an advantage of having this bow, and this is arguable, is that it has higher delay so you get quite a bit more TP per hit and uses less arrows over time.
I try to tell people that but they always laugh at me. It is however much easier to get a 5 hit build with this. And the one you have up there is barely less accurate the higher base dmg easily makes up for the agi mod and slightly higher ratt on ebow to make its ws dmg on par even without the +4%. But the slightly lower delay will hurt if you don't get to tp a hit earlier
 Midgardsormr.Echion
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Echion
By Midgardsormr.Echion 2009-12-11 17:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

The Fay bow with the right augments can out parse a vali's on occasion so i would Say go with Fay bow. Selenes is incosistent and you cant really depend on it. But is still a better alternative than most others.
 Valefor.Welfare
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Welfare 2009-12-11 17:51:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Valefor.Welfare said:

Holy bolts and Trueflight both share a MND mod btw

Actually true flight is agi modded. Extremely. Also seeing as trueflight dmg and the additionally dmg/effects of bolts don't have anything to do with xbow dmg you'd be better off getting a faster xbow.

hahaha yes it is AGI modded. Would you believe me if I said I hadn't had my coffee yet when I typed that? xD
First Page 2