Link | Quote | Reply

Coffee is the devil!
 Midgardsormr.Echion
Server: Midgardsormr
Game: FFXI
user: Echion
By Midgardsormr.Echion 2009-12-11 18:20:33
Link | Quote | Reply

People use rng in diff ways but treating it like a thf is just nonsence. An O-bow L-O-L I never heard that one before. If your gonna go marksmanship spend 1.4 mil on the hellfire+1 at least you would be able to put up some competition against the vali. I've also seen Culverin+1 properly geard just totally ***on everything else. If your soloing i could see where an o-bow could come into use for skilling up marksmanship lol. As a rng i think the general idea is to do alot of damage. Thats just me tho.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-11 18:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

People used to use Obow all the time. In fact before aht urghan came out I rarely saw a bow rng. It's just light dmg is so inconsistent on lolbri and aht urghan has such weak mobs that the advantages of magic dmg are less.
 Valefor.Welfare
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Welfare 2009-12-11 19:07:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hellfire +1 is a good weapon too and does awesome damage ^^

I was just trying to stay along the lines of saving money and since O.Bow is probably the easiest weapon to [camp] outside of Selene's Bow, I naturally chose it as my main topic of discussion.
 Midgardsormr.Echion
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Echion
By Midgardsormr.Echion 2009-12-11 19:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Even so selens is pretty easy to get and a War bow +1 puts up decent numbers still. If your just a casual rng and cant get E/V-bow then go with a hellfire+1 - Culverin+1 or Selene's. I never found a use for marksmanship even with the status bolts for rng. I dont usually solo with rng, i leave that up to my thf or nin. Tho in campaign ill pull a mob to the side next to some npc healers and pixies and just /war zerg the life outta them soro :P
 Fairy.Brenda
Server: Fairy
user: Jornna
By Fairy.Brenda 2009-12-11 19:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The main reason people stopped using O bow is because you cant land status bolts on most ToAU mobs.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-11 19:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

rng with machine xbow can solo pretty well. Shoot a couple run shoot a couple more. And until they made it so it's delay (only weapon I think they did it with) went up when you synced down it was a crazy lower lvl rng weapon.
 Unicorn.Ellimist
Server: Unicorn
user: Ellimist
By Unicorn.Ellimist 2009-12-12 00:53:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I just wanted to add that one advantage of using a Fay or Selene's over an Ebow is that the amount of StoreTP to achieve a 5-hit /sam build sacrifices alot less r.attack than a 5-hit ebow build. All that is needed is a Rajas Ring, Rose Strap, Skadi's pants (which, obviously, is the harder of the 3 to get), and 1 random storeTP somewhere (This is the ideal combo, IMO. Cobra and Ekindu can also make this work).

A 5-hit ebow requires a Mekki on top of all that, which forces you out of 10 Ranged Attack. This idea obviously only applies to /sam. When you are /war or /nin, yeah, Ebow is gonna win from delay alone.

Although I am seeing some stuff about Fays with -10% delay, which is 486 compared to Ebow's 490. With a -10% delay Fay with full Strength and Rattack augments, it's gonna come real close to an Ebow right there.
 Seraph.Dnyce
Server: Seraph
user: drb775
By Seraph.Dnyce 2009-12-14 00:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

well i use a s bow. works fine for me but meh. I owned a E bow and trust me is really nice but when i bought mine it costed 2.7 so when i say it was 4mil i sold it quick lol. S bow works for me because of the lack of time i use playing on rng. Since my sam is way better geared and better equiped so S bow works for me. I would assume that the fay bow would be alot more consistant if u got pretty decect augments on it so i would say use s bow until u got a decent augment on the fay bow
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-12-14 07:31:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Is that where you got your augments from? Looks like all give different augments. Excesspain, where did you do yours?
Sorry for the late response, I did all my augments in Grauburg(S).

Setup was PLD/NIN, BLM, RDM, WHM, DD, DD. Can switch out RDM or WHM with another DD but not necessary if your 2 DDs are well geared.

Seraph.Fabiano
Server: Seraph
user: fabiano
By Seraph.Fabiano 2009-12-14 07:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

shigeto bow / +1 is also very nice . the +1 got some amazing base dmg and you can use it as 6hit with /war /nin ... without using a mekki shakki .
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-12-14 09:40:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll have to check and see if some people on Gilgamesh will help with the fight.

I guess for xmas vacation I can try to camp the nm too.
 Caitsith.Iphone
Server: Caitsith
user: Imola
By Caitsith.Iphone 2009-12-14 18:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Oh that looks good, what battle fight did you do for that? I know its all random but just seeing where mostly ppl got these augments from.

Basically it's a Quadav (PLD) NM. It two hours at 75%, 50%, & 25%

For a more detailed information to help you out Alyria. This has been my PT setup and it's always won it's a very easy fight if you have a good PLD/NIN that knows how to kit, and or "lock kit" the NM.

PT setup: PLD/NIN, BLM/RDM, RDM/WHM, DD, DD, DD/WAR

Basically your RDM plays healing/refresh.

BLM plays SLEEPS. At first when you all get the item to the Fairy and traded and ready to go, have all DD's + PLD get 300TP of the lesser mobs around the area. When all is ready, PLD will pop NM and VOKE the main NM (forgive me for not using the names lol too lazy), Your BLM will ES Sleepga and the Wyverns will be killed one by one by your DD's. Which ever DD has sub /WAR which helps so when whatever he vokes/calls won't agro the BLM. Be cautous because depending how fast you kill the add's can make or break your BLM if his not fast enough. So have the RDM and BLM gravity the slept adds so when they wake up they can be re-slept without getting chased. The PLD at the mean time will keep the main NM aggroed and running around the wall there where you pop the NM's. When I mention "lock kit" basically your PLD will just keep running left <-> right close to the wall on the opposite side of the NM tricking the NM to keep going around the other way, then switch again and it'll switch as well. If he stays at a small spot there It'll never touch him at all and still keep flash distance.

Once all the adds are dead your PLD then finally stops kitting and you all brawl the main NM. Have the PLD use Spirits Within, and if you have a SAM in PT make him/her do Shikiyoko give the PLD instant TP again, and make him/her do Atonement. This usually makes it to where the PLD will not loose hate through the whole fight. Tank it until it two hours 75% then kit again until the two hour is done. Make sure your PLD doesn't get hit with the NM's TP move it's does pretty harsh dmg so he has to kit fast. Keep the PLD hasted and refreshed and the fight should go a lot easier. Rinse and repeat at 50%, 25%. It's a 30min fight then after you can go back to the fairy that's there and see your augmented weapon. If you don't like the augments you can choose to no accept and do the run again. you can do that 5x per weapon before you have to get a new weapon. So good luck. Hope this helps.

Notes: Angon helps a lot, & or Tomahawk - NM has a lot of defense and increases the last 25%.
 Titan.Catsby
Server: Titan
user: Catsby
By Titan.Catsby 2010-01-08 14:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Your play style will affect your damage output a bit more than the weapon itself. RNG has the fortune/misfortune of having to manually initiate each attack round. If you sit around surfing the web or something in between shots it doesn't matter if you are bling'd up with an Ebow or whatever. Keep that in mind.