Are You Playing In FFXI-HORIZON Server?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » are you playing in FFXI-HORIZON server?
are you playing in FFXI-HORIZON server?
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11
By SavageJoke 2023-01-14 23:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Yup but thats where a majority of these 75 cap dummies are pulling their feels from. Thats why the majority of them have level sync already and so we are comparing only that era to now.

The inclusion of level sync takes most of the effort required out of Horizon XI. The developers did try to limit it by imposing an exp penalty for syncing down more than 10 levels, but I still think it should have been left out. Especially with as many players as they have logging in right now. Dunes feels a lot more packed when a bunch of people are staying until 29, some even willing to eat a -27.5% exp penalty to already terrible exp just to be ready to open advanced jobs.

Asura.Iamaman said: »
My feeling is that a lot of these types never made it past the 75 grind during 75-cap and never participated in endgame content then, so for them the grind through the levels is the 11 experience. When they login and see how trivial it is now, they brush the whole game off as easy, because they get to 99 and think they've beat the game (I've heard at least one person more or less use those exact words).

This 100000%. Hardcore basically proves it. Deathless through the whole game? On 15 jobs? Yea, no. Its been a neat little challenge to try out but the more I think about it the more dumb it sounds ... unless all you want is to level jobs. No missions or stuff like that. Just grinding that exp in the absolute safest way possible.
By Nariont 2023-01-14 23:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
Maybe my recollection is wrong, but I don't recall much shouting to PUG endgame content during 75-cap either. It seems like most of the endgame content was coordinated through linkshells, which people applied to or brought their friends into. If you weren't in those groups then you were SOL. That seemed to start changing around Abyssea, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Only one you regularly saw was a dyna shout, youd see the rare limbus shout and even more rare attempt at someone putting together a sky farm of some kind, was simply far too much work to set up pugs for 75 end-game that wasnt a quick instance, think ZNMs were as close as it got if you wanna count that as end-game
 Asura.Icilies
Guildwork Premium
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: icilies
By Asura.Icilies 2023-01-15 00:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

My main issues is the marketing of 100% volunteer. I don't know why it gets under my skin so much.

Ninja admitted on livestream he funded the entire server. So, sure, some people are probably volunteering their time, but there is probably a million dollars behind this. Given Ninja already offered this to SE to create a retail private server.

btw, I'm actively playing the server, and mostly having a good time. The community team is bad and dev team seems overwhelmed. But, it's free, so can't complain.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-01-15 00:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

SavageJoke said: »
This 100000%. Hardcore basically proves it. Deathless through the whole game? On 15 jobs? Yea, no. Its been a neat little challenge to try out but the more I think about it the more dumb it sounds ... unless all you want is to level jobs. No missions or stuff like that. Just grinding that exp in the absolute safest way possible.
Actually, they even said that the 15 available jobs aren't enough to get you the final reward. No, you won't get that until the expansion catches up to Seekers of Adoulin and you get all 22 jobs to 75.

All your hard work fighting nothing but Easy Prey in a premade static for eons might never even bear fruit if the server doesn't make it that far.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-01-15 01:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Icilies said: »
But, it's free, so can't complain.
Of course it's free. The assets were all made by the original FFXI team and the codebase and server concept were all stolen from the WingsXI team. The only effort the HorizonXI team put in was heavy marketing. They simply didn't want to take the time to run proper tests before the server's launch, and have admitted that properly coding Level Sync and stuff was "too much work".

The developers are painfully lazy. Every minute spent coding is a minute wasted from playing their own server, where they can exploit their obscure changes and brag about how much better they are than all the other players on Twitch streams.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-01-15 01:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

My main issues is the marketing of 100% volunteer. I don't know why it gets under my skin so much.

Ninja admitted on livestream he funded the entire server. So, sure, some people are probably volunteering their time, but there is probably a million dollars behind this. Given Ninja already offered this to SE to create a retail private server.

btw, I'm actively playing the server, and mostly having a good time. The community team is bad and dev team seems overwhelmed. But, it's free, so can't complain.

I knew it... why am I always right about everything. Big brain
By Draylo 2023-01-15 01:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Just imagine if he could invest that into retail to get a damn expansion. Why would you invest in a dinky lv75 cap server, so dumbbbb
By RiggityWrekd 2023-01-15 02:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

75 era leveling was a nightmare and I'm not sure how people can still enjoy it but to each their own.

With regards to endgame, aside from some broken NM that were designed not to be defeated (AV and PW for instances), during 75 cap the mechanics, the gear and the abilities available (especially for non mage jobs) were so limited that the player skill was not really a factor. It was more important how much you played to get the few pieces of gear you needed to make your job work. DD in particular had to click 2 or 3 buttons every 15 seconds (remember how slow was to get tp?) to play their job properly.

I guess the perceived difficulty of 75 era comes from the fact that everyone got smashed by a goblin in the dunes a few times in their life, while most of the community in current retail didn't even unlock a t3 V20 gaol fight yet.

Current retail has so much more stuff in the endgame that any job feels unique and offer some degree of customization. Skill is still not a big factor (if we are talking about how fast you can react and execute etc) but knowledge and preparation will make a difference considering the plethora of gear available and what you can do with it.

Honestly I find it dumb to compare 75 era and current retail since they are two completely different games
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-01-15 03:41:07
Link | Quote | Reply

is there like actual info on that? I haven't seen anything from the bluehairedqueer regarding it.

I do have his stupid *** blocked on twitch though so that might be part of it? He's never streaming horizon cause I literally can't see it.
 Asura.Icilies
Guildwork Premium
By Asura.Icilies 2023-01-15 04:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

is there like actual info on that? I haven't seen anything from the bluehairedqueer regarding it.

I do have his stupid *** blocked on twitch though so that might be part of it? He's never streaming horizon cause I literally can't see it.

https://www.twitch.tv/ninja/clip/GracefulDeafDugongHeyGirl-ze7wvqyhRxDezl_E
[+]
By RadialArcana 2023-01-15 04:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If he threw a load of money at them for a year that will end up being a bit of a poison pill long term. What happens if he stops doing that now after they get used to it.

There are people that will do things for free, just for the love of the thing. However when you start giving them money, that becomes the driving force. Once the money dries up they lose interest when they wouldn't of normally.

Sometimes it's better for money to never be involved.

Also lol at anyone that helped on this for free and found out the guy runnnig it got PAID that ninja money.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-01-15 04:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not just the Dev team, I'm almost positive there was ad push behind streamers and youtube comments. There was literally a bunch of girls who look like they stepped off XIV bus cosplaying cat girls to play XI... taking hours to level. Yea right
 Asura.Icilies
Guildwork Premium
By Asura.Icilies 2023-01-15 04:19:04
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
If he threw a load of money at them for a year that will end up being a bit of a poison pill long term. What happens if he stops doing that now after they get used to it.

There are people that will do things for free, just for the love of the thing. However when you start giving them money, that becomes the driving force. Once the money dries up they lose interest when they wouldn't of normally.

Also lol at anyone that helped on this for free and found out the guy runnnig it got PAID that ninja money.

So, I don't have a problem with money being involved as I believe it helps keep a good thing alive. I actually love the idea of a thriving vanilla experience. I mean it's actually awesome to play the game with 4500 legit people and no dual box.

I simply don't like being "sold" the idea of 100 volunteers all pitching in to make this project happen. Just be transparent. It's that simple.

I'd love if SE took Ninja's money to make an official classic server.
[+]
By SimonSes 2023-01-15 04:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I don't have a problem with money being involved as I believe it helps keep a good thing alive. I actually love the idea of a thriving vanilla experience. I mean it's actually awesome to play the game with 4500 legit people and no dual box.

I simply don't like being "sold" the idea of 100 volunteers all pitching in to make this project happen. Just be transparent. It's that simple.

I'd love if SE took Ninja's money to make an official classic server.

Doesn't your love to era comes from fishing and crafts being important and more like playing FFXI economy instead of actual fighting mobs gameplay.

I think its general rule, that people who love Classic just loves crafting/fishing and playing with real people and they think it's only possible in Era. I'm like 1000% sure that Classic server run by SE would end up exactly like retail. You will have fish bots, crafting bots, crafting hacks, pulling hacks, 6boxing etc. and Im like 100% sure that ilvl run on private server by people who care would be no hacks, no bots, no boxing etc. What Im trying to say it's not really related to ilvl or era. It's related to who run the server. Whats related to Era or ilvl is the fact that Era has super boring gameplay on most jobs, because of lack of JA, interactions, spells or gear impacting your strategy. I mean they did something to Relics, so it's possible Relics on Horizon are game changing, but they are as realistic to get in Era as Bonanza weapons on retail :) You basically need slaves doing Dynamis for your own benefit to ever get one.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2023-01-15 04:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninja just makes random twitter posts and think that's communication, the XI devs are all boomers. They don't even use twitter.

Also if I had to guess, the reason he would not want to play on retail is because Square would give him no preferential treatment. Streamers get bugged a lot on things like this, so they want to be able to get people banned if they annoy or streamsnipe him. "hey this guy is annoying me, can you ban him?" "sure boss!"
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-01-15 05:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If he actually did fund the server, then that probably explains why the balance changes are so pants-on-head HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. He asks for something, and they're obligated to do it because he pays them. Definitely not a good sign long term.

SimonSes said: »
I mean they did something to Relics, so it's possible Relics on Horizon are game changing, but they are as realistic to get in Era as Bonanza weapons on retail :) You basically need slaves doing Dynamis for your own benefit to ever get one.

Need to think outside the box more, currency is all buyable so as long as you can streamline the gil making process they aren't necessarily insane. A group of 4 with a decent job spread could do omega once every 9 days and sell the homam. That would pay for a relic in a year or so with a commitment of an hour a week. Could take your RDM up to sky and hit faust and zipacna to bazaar in under an hour a few times a week to speed it up. Never mind if you have a solid group of ~10 or less ready to grab tiamat/ixion/etc and split all the loot.

Of course, this is talking about real era. Horizon ruined RDM from what I hear, and who knows how balance/economy will play out. But, relic can be done in a reasonable amount of hours by using most efficient gil-making processes without slavery.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-01-15 06:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Make any amount of gil or get something shiney they'll just ban you lol
By SavageJoke 2023-01-15 06:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Actually, they even said that the 15 available jobs aren't enough to get you the final reward.

Launch notes say "All 15 Launch Jobs" to 75. Also that they can add stuff whenever they want.

Farthest I have made it is level 30 with SJ, died helping my buddy get his skull, to a lv 27 ghoul in gusgen mines.

It's not just the Dev team, I'm almost positive there was ad push behind streamers and youtube comments. There was literally a bunch of girls who look like they stepped off XIV bus cosplaying cat girls to play XI... taking hours to level. Yea right

I agree. I found out about it while looking around to see what was added since I last played, trying to determine if it was worth it to pay for a month or two. Feels like every FFXI search on Youtube is at least half if not 3/4 results for Horizon XI.

It seems like whatever they did worked though. I counted roughly 30 players outside bastok fighting over bees and worms just between the two gates in south gustaberg. Thats not counting the hill or the players camping LL or the groups level sync'd to 10 fighting crabs and bees near the Wadi. I've even been threatened by another player with a server blacklist for not letting him have a mob he was running at. In a starting area. My friend says Sandy is just as bad.

I'm like 1000% sure that Classic server run by SE would end up exactly like retail. You will have fish bots, crafting bots, crafting hacks, pulling hacks, 6boxing etc.

For sure. There are definitely Fishing bots already. Every now and then you'll see someone that looks like they may be multiboxing. (It's definitely one of their family members that just had to run to the store real quick and left follow on)

One thing I was interested in seeing was the NM claim shield and fight area for HNMs. Apparently anyone who acts on a mob within the first few seconds of it being spawned are added into a lottery and claim is "randomly" given to one of those players after time has expired. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you fight the HNMs in an area similar to how NMs work in Escha areas as well. I believe they have also tinkered with stats on HNMs to make them harder.
By Draylo 2023-01-15 06:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk how yall cyber sleuths didn't see this a mile away. If he's paying for that ad push, I kinda feel radial might be right about that /sea all #. I literally couldn't believe some of these people streaming out of nowhere and the random dummies who used to make XI content coming out the woodwork to revive their channels. Most afterwards was surely the hype after all the fake ad push. No wonder you didn't see this for other servers. They probably met up with him on a different private server and pitched the idea and he said he would back it if they did x and y. They will probably be at his beck and call and surely as long as his generous donations last they will have fake hordes of followers until he gets bored with it.

Also who wants to take the tin foil hat further and think something is related with those accounts that were advertising here recently. Hope people don't use the same password for horizon as anything else they care about
[+]
By SavageJoke 2023-01-15 06:38:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
fillerbunny9 said: »
Well, BST gets ***like Tandem Blow, Bestial Loyalty, etc.

Was more curious how they handled pets, i.e ready is already in place, pet moves have sc attributes etc, just letting ready be available already puts bst in a better spot than it was in-era, though still relies on crafters to put the jug pets up

Ready moves on Horizon do not currently have SC elements. Loyalty only works with HQ jugs. Not all the pet ready moves work the same as they do in retail. Sheep Rage for example only buffs the pet. That is all the knowledge I was able to get via the discord BST changes discussion.
By Bongarippa 2023-01-15 07:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbh I'm really surprised this is even appealing to anybody. I played back in the 75 era and it was fun at the time. Now with the instant gratification the games given us since basically the release of abyssea, how long is this server gonna last when people gotta camp king behemoth for a d ring, only for it to be given to some dude playing a mithra pretending to be the ls leaders girlfriend. How many times is a blm main gonna watch zenith mitts go to a whm main because the whm has more dkp? All the rose tinted glasses gonna come off when it takes 2 years, maybe, to get that super rare drop that in retail you can just buy a pop item to get. Level 75 era was fun, but I think for most it's more fun to talk about than to actually play and I guess this server will prove that to most playing on it. Not sure if anyone wrote anything similar to this, but I'm not skimming thru 5 pages of bs to find out.
 Phoenix.Besickl
Server: Phoenix
user: besickl
By Phoenix.Besickl 2023-01-15 07:59:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Loving this thread very entertaining to say the least. However I will say I play on Horizon because it is free and feeds the addiction. With all 8 wardrobes and multiple accounts I was giving SE a lot of money on a monthly basis. While I will not say I will never play retail again this will do for now.
[+]
By SavageJoke 2023-01-15 08:27:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bongarippa said: »
how long is this server gonna last when people gotta camp king behemoth for a d ring

Sattva Ring got buffed if the data mine from killing ifrit is to believed. Not sure how that will affect the drive for D ring.

Bongarippa said: »
only for it to be given to some dude playing a mithra pretending to be the ls leaders girlfriend.
That is the most "classic" or "era" thing that could happen. Also, LOL.
By SimonSes 2023-01-15 08:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
If he actually did fund the server, then that probably explains why the balance changes are so pants-on-head HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. He asks for something, and they're obligated to do it because he pays them. Definitely not a good sign long term.

I mean they did something to Relics, so it's possible Relics on Horizon are game changing, but they are as realistic to get in Era as Bonanza weapons on retail :) You basically need slaves doing Dynamis for your own benefit to ever get one.

Need to think outside the box more, currency is all buyable so as long as you can streamline the gil making process they aren't necessarily insane. A group of 4 with a decent job spread could do omega once every 9 days and sell the homam. That would pay for a relic in a year or so with a commitment of an hour a week. Could take your RDM up to sky and hit faust and zipacna to bazaar in under an hour a few times a week to speed it up. Never mind if you have a solid group of ~10 or less ready to grab tiamat/ixion/etc and split all the loot.

Of course, this is talking about real era. Horizon ruined RDM from what I hear, and who knows how balance/economy will play out. But, relic can be done in a reasonable amount of hours by using most efficient gil-making processes without slavery.

Despite saying it's only 1h per week you will never find people who are willing to do that and only that. You will most likely be part of some active group and do much more to play with them. Also one relic per year for entire group or for each player in group? Because one for group is obviously a problem, because who will get it? Lastly I am being realistic. Every randomly timed event like camping HNMs is out of the window. There is no way any grown up person can have time to spend up to 3 hours in one place at completely random hours including middle of the night or middle of the work hours, with random chance that it will be the one who claim it. You wouldn't need slaves then, but you would be the slave yourself.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2023-01-15 08:33:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm shocked he openly said it on the stream like that too, this is the kind of thing you keep quiet normally.
[+]
By SimonSes 2023-01-15 08:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm shocked he openly said it on the stream like that too, this is the kind of thing you keep quiet normally.

He has pretty massive ego, that is kept in check by his team, but they can't predict everything, so he will slip something from time to time.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11