First Page 2 3 4 5
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-09-11 17:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Brixy said: »
I'm about as anti-conduit as you can get. I even opted against using astral conduit to refill my mp when I got hit with the draw in & curse move. I much prefer to experiment and try to make it work as a supportive job. Actually play the job, not the 1hr lol
<3 Brixeh
[+]
 Carbuncle.Papesse
Server: Carbuncle
user: Papesse
By Carbuncle.Papesse 2020-09-11 17:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

SMN is a much better healer than people imagine. I'm regularly main healer in dyna wave3 (melee setup, no WHM/SCH/RDM/Majesty PLD), Ambuscade, Omen, Odyssey and this while still contributing with damage, buffs and debuffs. I also main healed in Odin, SL and Iroha MTs. It's all about adapting to situations.
[+]
By Felgarr 2020-09-11 22:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Papesse said: »
SMN is a much better healer than people imagine. I'm regularly main healer in dyna wave3 (melee setup, no WHM/SCH/RDM/Majesty PLD), Ambuscade, Omen, Odyssey and this while still contributing with damage, buffs and debuffs. I also main healed in Odin, SL and Iroha MTs. It's all about adapting to situations.

I respect your dedication. Mind sharing your sets? I think most SMNs who try to main-heal don't take it too seriously but also, get overwhelmed by the myriad of options SMN has at their disposal. What's helping you heal your melee party members the most? Massive MP pool? Elemental Siphon for quick MP? any specific blood pacts to keep in rotation?
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-09-11 23:22:35
Link | Quote | Reply

altanas favor when your avatar accidentally wakes the beastmen avatar.

on a more serious note if you bring SMN for heal you need to know whats coming cause they often have to switch pets to adapt to the situation, if the fight needs quick reflexes SMN isn't the right healer.
they have some interesting defense buffs like noctoshield (a weak AoE phalanx), shining ruby (ghetto protect/shell that stacks with the regular versions), soothing current (decent cure potency received). leviathans spring water AoE cures and removes most debuffs cured by -na spells. soothing ruby is kind of a erasega, removes multiple eraseable debuffs (up to 6 depending on summon skill according to wiki). SMN has his moments for healing but if the fight requires frequent curing and they are forced to cast cure IV a lot they'll run out of MP rather quickly, depsite their large MP pool.

personly i'm still scared from colibri parties with SMN main heal in ToAU days. no ballads or refresh... i think we spent more time resting than engaged.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2020-09-11 23:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

turtle boss is too weak. 79k thunder V as a jhakri geo on D and 55k on VD

everyone get your points while the easy month is here :x
By soralin 2020-09-12 06:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Avereith said: »

Was this off a magic burst, and was it timed for when shell is down?
By RadialArcana 2020-09-12 06:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I would guess (haven't done it or bothered this month) there will be far less pug shouts for Ambuscade this month and more merc shouts selling VD clears than last. Whenever you need a specific job (tank) and it requires a small amount of strategy that happens, regardless of actual difficulty.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2020-09-12 08:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

So I didn't see it posted and figured I'd chime in. This is mainly just a tanking perspective tip for the "kill BLM" strategy tip:

Bring Holy Waters for the Curse effect on Sorrow of Gudah and Vivacious Pulse (Flabra, Flabra, Tenebrae) to remove Virus. You will remove Virus from yourself and gain a small amount of MP back conjunctively.

(Granted this is more geared towards RUN but PLD still gets some mileage out of bringing Holy Waters/Antidotes/Remedies to ease burden on healer)
[+]
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2020-09-12 09:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

soralin said: »

Was this off a magic burst, and was it timed for when shell is down?
just when shell was down no mb. magey geo buffs/debuffs though since I was helping our cor out already
By Morihei 2020-09-12 10:22:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, I just wanted to add a note, because of successful runs last night.

We only did N, but the Beastmaster pet, Gaston, silenced the BLM with Chaotic Eye just fine. And then I was able to devote the rest of the fight to DDing with a 20% attack bonus.
 Asura.Sirris
Server: Asura
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2020-09-12 12:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Brahmsz said: »
So I didn't see it posted and figured I'd chime in. This is mainly just a tanking perspective tip for the "kill BLM" strategy tip:

Bring Holy Waters for the Curse effect on Sorrow of Gudah and Vivacious Pulse (Flabra, Flabra, Tenebrae) to remove Virus. You will remove Virus from yourself and gain a small amount of MP back conjunctively.

(Granted this is more geared towards RUN but PLD still gets some mileage out of bringing Holy Waters/Antidotes/Remedies to ease burden on healer)

That's a good idea. Does Remedy remove the Virus effect?
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2020-09-12 12:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sirris said: »

Sadly no, Remedies have no effect on Virus. Which is why I suggested Vivaceous Pulse to erase it. Your Healer will likely be stricken with Virus as well and won't be able to remove it right away.
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2020-09-12 13:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Gastra Rng and DP cor can kill boss before it ever pops the elemental I believe. Was surprising to see.
By malakef 2020-09-12 13:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

They may have SC’d cause every DD hitting 99k’s pre elementalist pop. Or possibly it was stunned and so didn’t get bene off?
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2020-09-12 13:56:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sirris said: »

Sadly no, Remedies have no effect on Virus. Which is why I suggested Vivaceous Pulse to erase it. Your Healer will likely be stricken with Virus as well and won't be able to remove it right away.

I'm a paladin so no Vivacious Pulse, but removing Curse quickly should still help the WHM, since they can hit me with a quick Viruna and then I should still have enough MP for a Flash or something.
 Asura.Botosi
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2020-09-12 14:15:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Topace said: »
Gastra Rng and DP cor can kill boss before it ever pops the elemental I believe. Was surprising to see.

It literally has to pop the BLM. At 1% it takes 0 dmg until it pops the add.
[+]
 Asura.Topace
By Asura.Topace 2020-09-12 14:16:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Botosi said: »
Asura.Topace said: »

It literally has to pop the BLM. At 1% it takes 0 dmg until it pops the add.
Ahh I see. Got it down to like 3% before it benediction figured could do it faster but nice to know this.
 Shiva.Larrymc
Server: Shiva
user: larrymc
By Shiva.Larrymc 2020-09-12 15:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

For those who want to get easy points on mules, we have been using PUP SCH COR COR <mule> <mule> - where mule is lvl 28-32 - get KI in palbo mines - level sync to mule. Easy mule point month.
[+]
 Shiva.Siviard
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2020-09-12 15:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Larrymc said: »
For those who want to get easy points on mules, we have been using PUP SCH COR COR <mule> <mule> - where mule is lvl 28-32 - get KI in palbo mines - level sync to mule. Easy mule point month.

Larry, PUP is actually good this month? What is the strat involving PUP, if I may ask?
 Shiva.Larrymc
By Shiva.Larrymc 2020-09-12 15:43:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Pup 1 hour is not required, but I used it when it is up to make the adds snap to the auto - tank up setup.

When pup 1 hour is up it is super easy - adds snap to auto - tank main boss in the corner and the cors pick off the adds then work on the boss. Cors save triple shot to zerg boss under 50% after adds are dead. If they dont make it in time then kill 2nd set of adds. 2 lead saludes kill each add.

When pup 1 hour is not up adds will go after random person - again not a problem if cors are fast to kill them.

SCH buffs - aoe regen, aoe blink, aoe stoneskin, aoe adlodiquim, aoe voidstorm. Can use embrava if 1 hour is up but again not necessary.
COR buffs - m.acc m.atk store TP and regain.

Once the BLM Elementalist pops - sch silences it, COR uses one lead on it - usually 20% at this time. If the elementalist does not stick to auto that is great, pull it 30 yalms away from main and kill it. If the elementalist sticks to the auto the sch puts a necrohelix II on it runs out of range - blms dies, only one in range of megaboss is the auto - auto usually snaps hate right back but sometimes takes a min. Once auto has hate cors just use lead on it when it uses TP move. Pup use maintenance periodically to make sure hate is maintained on auto.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-09-12 16:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting.

But after BLM is dead, wont the sorrow petrify the auto?

How are you dealing with this?

And from what im seeing, there is no need to be a PUP, any tank could work?
 Shiva.Larrymc
By Shiva.Larrymc 2020-09-12 17:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Petrify seems to land on auto 33% of the time - the auto is unpetrified enough to maintain hate using maintenance timer.

And you are correct, any tank works - just easier with pup - dont need a whm for stona.
 Carbuncle.Papesse
Server: Carbuncle
user: Papesse
By Carbuncle.Papesse 2020-09-12 18:49:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »

I respect your dedication. Mind sharing your sets? I think most SMNs who try to main-heal don't take it too seriously but also, get overwhelmed by the myriad of options SMN has at their disposal. What's helping you heal your melee party members the most? Massive MP pool? Elemental Siphon for quick MP? any specific blood pacts to keep in rotation?
Code
main="Raetic Rod +1",
sub="Ammurapi Shield",
ammo="Quartz Tathlum +1",
head={ name="Vanya Hood", augments={'Healing magic skill +20','"Cure" spellcasting time -7%','Magic dmg. taken -3',}},
body={ name="Vanya Robe", augments={'Healing magic skill +20','"Cure" spellcasting time -7%','Magic dmg. taken -3',}},
hands="Inyan. Dastanas +2",
legs={ name="Vanya Slops", augments={'Healing magic skill +20','"Cure" spellcasting time -7%','Magic dmg. taken -3',}},
feet={ name="Vanya Clogs", augments={'Healing magic skill +20','"Cure" spellcasting time -7%','Magic dmg. taken -3',}},
neck="Incanter's Torque",
waist="Luminary Sash",
left_ear="Malignance Earring",
right_ear="Meili Earring",
left_ring="Stikini Ring +1",
right_ring="Menelaus's Ring",
back={ name="Campestres's Cape", augments={'MND+20','Mag. Acc+20 /Mag. Dmg.+20','MND+10','"Cure" potency +10%','Phys. dmg. taken-10%',}},

With a set like this Cure IV heals for 1004 HP and Curaga II for 432 HP. 1154 HP and 496 HP with Soothing Current.
There is a little to no enmity- at all but it has never been an issue for me except in maybe one fight (Iroha) where I had to use Pacifying Ruby once or two (was before the update on Dirge song). I rarely have MP problems with 18 MP/tick from gear and Siphon (1k~ MP every 5 min).

I know people are scared of SMN as a healer or even SCH, RDM, DNC, BLU but you don't need a WHM for a every single content. The vast majority of mobs don't spam 1k AoEs + 3-5 debuffs every 5 seconds and there are almost always ways to significantly reduce the threat of those attacks like Stun, Tidal Roar/Wilt, Vex/Carol, Valiance/Fade, EA/Scherzo, good positioning, etc. Omen bosses are a good exemple (even if it's old content and they are all soloable now): Caturaes have strong AoEs like Interference or Malign Invocation and nasty debuffs but as soon you start stacking Attunement, Dark Carol, Valiance, Wind's Blessing, etc they become easy to handle and it's no longer required to spam Curaga/Cursna on melees like crazy.

In Dynamis SMN can stun lock nearly everything and also silence mages on pull with Lunatic Voice (it lands on non-leaders mobs in wave 3, very handy when you have multiple BLUs or RDMs mobs). It's really not that difficult or stressful to keep people alive there, though I admit the Disjointed Elvaan makes me sweat during Circle Blade phase.
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2020-09-12 20:36:32
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're keeping the BLM alive to damage the boss during Cures, Addle II at full potency+ on the boss makes it significantly easier since you can fit more WS in and lets even the DDs with crappy reaction time react appropriately during the cast time of Cure.
[+]
 Bahamut.Keeriyis
user: Keeriyis
By Bahamut.Keeriyis 2020-09-13 00:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone experienced a second or even a 3rd set of Devout/Beserker being summoned before the Elemental? While not difficult to defeat, it is rather annoying and takes up time. If you have experienced this, is there a way to avoid this? We are currently using the kill blm method.
By Korgull 2020-09-13 00:04:45
Link | Quote | Reply

You need to zerg the main boss to 50% asap after you kill the first 2 adds, otherwise it will pop more waves of PLD & WAR.
 Bahamut.Keeriyis
user: Keeriyis
By Bahamut.Keeriyis 2020-09-13 00:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah I see. Thanks :)
Server: Odin
user: tallica
By Odin.Kingofthenorth 2020-09-13 01:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Keeriyis said: »
Ah I see. Thanks :)
It can suck at times because we took him down quickly, but he was using other tp moves so he popped the pld and war again. The main boss was around 15%. Was pretty annoying.
 Asura.Topace
By Asura.Topace 2020-09-13 06:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Same here except he benediction and then popped all 3 at once. SE loves to troll.
 Bahamut.Brixy
Guide Maker
user: Brixy
By Bahamut.Brixy 2020-09-13 07:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »

Code
main="Raetic Rod +1",
sub="Ammurapi Shield",
ammo="Quartz Tathlum +1",
head={ name="Vanya Hood", augments={'Healing magic skill +20','"Cure" spellcasting time -7%','Magic dmg. taken -3',}},
body={ name="Vanya Robe", augments={'Healing magic skill +20','"Cure" spellcasting time -7%','Magic dmg. taken -3',}},
hands="Inyan. Dastanas +2",
legs={ name="Vanya Slops", augments={'Healing magic skill +20','"Cure" spellcasting time -7%','Magic dmg. taken -3',}},
feet={ name="Vanya Clogs", augments={'Healing magic skill +20','"Cure" spellcasting time -7%','Magic dmg. taken -3',}},
neck="Incanter's Torque",
waist="Luminary Sash",
left_ear="Malignance Earring",
right_ear="Meili Earring",
left_ring="Stikini Ring +1",
right_ring="Menelaus's Ring",
back={ name="Campestres's Cape", augments={'MND+20','Mag. Acc+20 /Mag. Dmg.+20','MND+10','"Cure" potency +10%','Phys. dmg. taken-10%',}},

With a set like this Cure IV heals for 1004 HP and Curaga II for 432 HP. 1154 HP and 496 HP with Soothing Current.
There is a little to no enmity- at all but it has never been an issue for me except in maybe one fight (Iroha) where I had to use Pacifying Ruby once or two (was before the update on Dirge song). I rarely have MP problems with 18 MP/tick from gear and Siphon (1k~ MP every 5 min).

I know people are scared of SMN as a healer or even SCH, RDM, DNC, BLU but you don't need a WHM for a every single content. The vast majority of mobs don't spam 1k AoEs + 3-5 debuffs every 5 seconds and there are almost always ways to significantly reduce the threat of those attacks like Stun, Tidal Roar/Wilt, Vex/Carol, Valiance/Fade, EA/Scherzo, good positioning, etc. Omen bosses are a good exemple (even if it's old content and they are all soloable now): Caturaes have strong AoEs like Interference or Malign Invocation and nasty debuffs but as soon you start stacking Attunement, Dark Carol, Valiance, Wind's Blessing, etc they become easy to handle and it's no longer required to spam Curaga/Cursna on melees like crazy.

In Dynamis SMN can stun lock nearly everything and also silence mages on pull with Lunatic Voice (it lands on non-leaders mobs in wave 3, very handy when you have multiple BLUs or RDMs mobs). It's really not that difficult or stressful to keep people alive there, though I admit the Disjointed Elvaan makes me sweat during Circle Blade phase.

There are also multiple ways to play smn as a healer. Its adaptive like you said. If I'm fighting targets that don't do many enfeebling effects, but a lot of damage (mamool ja ambuscade last month) then I tend to use titan to keep up stoneskin on the party and curaga II to heal. Basically afflatice solace smn style. If there is an occasional enfeeble here and there then I'll use leviathan since spring water heals and removes enfeebles (petrify is a big one!). If something is stupid with enfeeble spam then I'll use carbuncle since soothing ruby removes up to 7 at a time. I call him my little yagrush bunny lol. A lot of people never even consider smn can also control enmity with carbuncle. Completely erasing 25% emnity is a huge deal sometimes.
[+]