Mage Mamool Ambuscade V1
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2021-05-11 14:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Are they immune to lullaby? I'm not seeing any point in a rdm wasting elemental seal on sleepga when a brd already has longer sleeps with 100% landing rate thanks to troubadour.
By Virlym 2021-05-11 14:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Khajit said: »
Are they immune to lullaby? I'm not seeing any point in a rdm wasting elemental seal on sleepga when a brd already has longer sleeps with 100% landing rate thanks to troubadour.

Full immunity to Lullaby on D and VD.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
Server: Bahamut
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-05-11 15:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

What else would they be saving Elemental seal for? Nothing else would be worth wasting elemental seal on outside the sleep tbh.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2021-05-11 15:22:13
Link | Quote | Reply

And of course I instantly find out the answer from earlier in the thread when I swap back to this tab later.
To answer the question of what a rdm would be saving eleseal for, they wouldn't be subbing blm to use elemental seal in the first place because they can use a tp bonus weapon in the offhand in what I now know to be a theoretical scenario wherein the mamools aren't immune to lullaby.
 Asura.Byrne
Server: Asura
By Asura.Byrne 2021-05-11 16:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

And of course I instantly find out the answer from earlier in the thread when I swap back to this tab later.
To answer the question of what a rdm would be saving eleseal for, they wouldn't be subbing blm to use elemental seal in the first place because they can use a tp bonus weapon in the offhand in what I now know to be a theoretical scenario wherein the mamools aren't immune to lullaby.

Yeah, essentially a RDM loses more than half their damage by swapping to a non DW subjob. You lose out not only on haste cap due to SW, but also from the TP bonus that Thibron provides.

However, Since there's so many debuffs to keep track of, you have to consider that one or two of the NMs may already be dead by the time you get sleep and addle and paralyze on all the targets.

In some circumstances you should just abandon damage on RDM (wheree it is not strictly necessary) and just focus on the debuffs.

On a side note though, anyone tried hitting them with Shockwave?
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Virlym 2021-05-11 16:26:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sudra said: »
You can’t even sleep then on VE with lullaby.

False. I've done a few N runs on BRD and opening with a nitro lullaby stuck for the full duration of the fight np.
 Bahamut.Lexouritis
By Bahamut.Lexouritis 2021-05-15 21:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Brixy said: »
5ish min clear on VD with RUN, COR, BRD, SAM, RDM, WHM
Zerg all of the mamool ja down and silence the last one. This worked pretty good for us. Addle is very useful to prevent most of the damage this month since they fall over in a few seconds with enough fire power.
YouTube Video Placeholder

In case people missed this from last year, WARs and Naeglings are better
[+]
 Asura.Jdove
Server: Asura
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2021-05-15 23:24:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Was doing this on VD with out sleeping anything. The pld was just super tanking it all and the rdm would silence each mob around 30% or when they 1hred and just throw addle and slow and enfeeble the one you are currently fighting.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
Server: Odin
user: tallica
By Odin.Kingofthenorth 2021-05-15 23:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't silence one mob, they all had addle II, last two mobs nuked me for 4k+.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-05-16 01:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Many groups will struggle on this without Scherzo from BRD and Earthern Armor from SMN. Add those to the mix and it makes things easier. Not everyone has Odyssey gear yet, or a solid RDM with great timing. It's imperative you have Scherzo and Armor on for the last two, as nukes are at their strongest when more Mamool die. Only the very best groups try this fight without.

Helps a lot if the WHM can barspell the current mob too. Tank isn't necessary if the RDM can keep things asleep. The red staff mamool are light based, so will do Fire, Thunder or Aero. The others are dark based and will do Blizzard, Water and Stone. If you can do the Blizzard and Thunder ones early it helps. Also stick together so the WHM can Curaga.

If you're unsure which barspells to use for the last two, kill the different coloured Mamool in order. So red staff > white staff > red staff > white staff etc. Someone make a note of which spells they used. This way, you will know the elements used by the last two without waking them up. Keep them asleep til you're buffed, then go all out.

Silence the last mob and have WHM use Sacrosanctity for Mijin. BRD COR SMN RDM buffs make things easier. It's definitely a RDM month. Without that you're lucky to do this on Normal. As a RDM I have been doing the following:

-Gain-MND, Haste, Refresh, Stoneskin, Aquaveil, Phalanx II etc.

-Refresh the WHM, Haste the Melees (BRD+COR should be fighting or its a waste), Phalanx the heavy DD at least.

-When buffs on, get just in range (21 yalms) and pop Elemental Seal. Sleepga with an enfeebling duration set. Mobs have a slight chance of resisting (it's a trait), so be ready to follow up with Sleep II and Sleep if necessary.

-Dia III the first target. Can Addle II + Paralyze, but otherwise focus on putting Addle on the rest. Can Frazzle and Distract III the white staff mamool if you want. When party moves on to the next target, the minimum you need is Dia III. Always Addle everything and keep on top of it.

-Depending on kill speed, you should have a good guess of when the first Sleepga wears. At some point you have to camp them. Stare at them. As soon as they aren't asleep, mash the Sleepga macro (with a proper enfeebling set this time). Keep checking to be sure. Be ready to Sleep II and Sleep if needed.

-If you know which targets your party will go for, it helps to debuff the next one with Paralyze and Slow before they get there. Blind if you want. Of course, most important thing is Dia III and Addle. You CAN silence them late in their HP, but you're probably getting hit with the annoying TP move which Mutes you. This is not Silence and can't be removed, so if you get muted and other mobs wake up, you screwed yourself. This is why most just leave it to the last mob.

-I like to Sleep spam the last mob, just to interrupt its TP moves. You can do Sleep II > Sleep > Sleepga constantly, which is kinda like a Stun lock. If you're lucky, TP moves will struggle to go off and make it easier for the DD. Happy hunting.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-05-16 02:08:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
As a RDM for this, I have been doing the following:

-When buffs on, get just in range (21 yalms) and pop Elemental Seal. Sleepga with an enfeebling duration set. Mobs have a slight chance of resisting (it's a trait), so be ready to follow up with Sleep II and Sleep if necessary.

I've finally found a repeated use for Spontaneity beyond double bursting while solo on a self-made chain- I do the same pull concept as you, creep to where targeting the front center Mamool puts me barely within casting distance, pop saboteur/ES/spontaneity. If a couple resist that first sleepga, you've got all 3 sleep options still available for immediate recast to ride the Immunobreak train.

Even with damn near the best macc build possible and changing merits to 5/5 macc (my other for this month is 5/5 enf duration, but not relevant to this use) and using Tropical crepes, I can still see 1 or 2 resists with Elemental Seal on VD...ask anyone who did this last time or this time and had to run with me on RDM- I'm a horribly miserable person to be around for this ambuscade due to that natural resist trait they have.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-05-16 02:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
As a RDM for this, I have been doing the following:

I've finally found a repeated use for Spontaneity beyond double bursting while solo on a self-made chain- I do the same pull concept as you, creep to where targeting the front center Mamool puts me barely within casting distance, pop saboteur/ES/spontaneity. If a couple resist that first sleepga, you've got all 3 sleep options still available for immediate recast to ride the Immunobreak train.

Even with damn near the best macc build possible and changing merits to 5/5 macc (my other for this month is 5/5 enf duration, but not relevant to this use) and using Tropical crepes, I can still see 1 or 2 resists with Elemental Seal on VD...ask anyone who did this last time or this time and had to run with me on RDM- I'm a horribly miserable person to be around for this ambuscade due to that natural resist trait they have.

For sure, I understand that for some RDMs with their incredible magic accuracy it can be frustrating when literally everything lands 100%, but sleep won't. It's just what the party has to accept though, it doesn't matter how good your RDM is, there will be moments when Sleep won't land, so you need to be ready for this.

I don't bother with Saboteur or Spontaneity on the ES pull, as I like to save Sabo for after the first Dia III (lasts a few more seconds I guess). Also Sleepga doesn't take too long to come back, and the most I've ever seen resist from the initial pull is two. I tend to save Spontaneity for Impact, if I remember to use it lol.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-05-16 02:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

lol- my party members have all be more than understanding- its just the personal annoyance and embarrassment^^
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-05-16 02:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
lol- my party members have all be more than understanding- its just the personal annoyance and embarrassment^^

Yeah I had one of those today, except that I decided putting Dia III on the mob they were moving on to was more important than sleeping another guy who just woke up. It was disastrous. I vowed never to do that again, lol. Dia III can wait. Sleep is always more important than slightly more damage. RDM is pretty busy in this fight, even more so when Sleepga isn't hitting them all and they have different timers.
By Chimerawizard 2021-05-16 02:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

As a RDM, I always pop both SPs for this month's ambu now.
/SCH and sleep2 x2 with manifestation usually gets 5~6 slept. If not one more sleep2 should get the 5th as well.
Then it's just getting the 5 sleeping mobs addled and para'd before saboteur wears off.
After that i can join the melee and start casting distract/dia.

edit: the bard also scherzo's, no tank. sam, cor, cor, bard, rdm, whm.
should be able to do the exact same with a mid-tier geared rdm by swapping a cor for geo & doing focus.
 Bahamut.Lexouritis
By Bahamut.Lexouritis 2021-05-16 03:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Addle2 is the most important thing for sure. After that BRDscherzo and SMNearthen work well, or WHM timing barspells correctly + RUN, can valiance the last 2-3 Mamool, and OFA the last one. Easy VD wins with a skilled group.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-05-16 04:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Chimerawizard said: »
should be able to do the exact same with a mid-tier geared rdm by swapping a cor for geo & doing focus.

honestly, the issue isn't more macc. Ask anyone who's gone with a "solid" RDM vs a fully pimped one, and on VD they'll see the same issues. More Macc doesn't solve the issue of their native resist rate. Probably the biggest part of my frustration with this month- gear stops to matter a LOT sooner than it should.
 Bahamut.Balduran
user: balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2021-05-16 06:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Very well said, but from numerous tries, I felt it was safer to prioritize Addle over sleep in those situations. For example if 3 mobs resist the sleep, my first action will be to addle the 3 of them, rather then to attempt sleeps.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kelg
user: Kelg
By Bahamut.Kelg 2021-05-16 10:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Just tested, Blue mage can sleep them with dreamflower on VD with elemental seal, and Silent storm will easily land without using elemental seal. You can also pull this as blu, put up magic barrier, saline coat, and occultation with malignance on and you survive the initial nukes easily even without shell.
[+]
By Crossbones 2021-05-16 10:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Been doing this with rdm/blm rdm/nin cor brd whm geo and it's been really easy. Only one wipe when a mob was silenced before manafont and we got mijined. Cor didn't even have tp bonus gun and I was doing like 35% of the damage as brd. Don't see any reason to use scherzo or earthen armor, in fact would probably slow ppl down and make it more risky as sleeps and debuffs fall off. With two rdm this fight is a total joke.
 Bahamut.Belkin
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2021-05-16 11:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Crossbones said: »
Been doing this with rdm/blm rdm/nin cor brd whm geo and it's been really easy. Only one wipe when a mob was silenced before manafont and we got mijined. Cor didn't even have tp bonus gun and I was doing like 35% of the damage as brd. Don't see any reason to use scherzo or earthen armor, in fact would probably slow ppl down and make it more risky as sleeps and debuffs fall off. With two rdm this fight is a total joke.

So you talk about SMN slowing you down, but you aren't bringing any real DD and are instead bringing a RDM/NIN for some reason when you also just have a WHM in there.

Hm.
[+]
By Crossbones 2021-05-16 12:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Since when is RDM not a real DD? Do you play with garbage RDM? And there's no way to emphasize how much swapping a RDM with a SMN in that situation would hurt your speed, all with the SMN bringing nothing to the table (no one got killed by agas in any of my runs, they didn't even go off except maybe one time). Clear times were around 4m and that was with the COR doing half the WSD they would have done if they had their TP bonus gun.
 Bahamut.Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2021-05-16 12:48:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Obviously it's working for you so I'm not going to tell you that you are doing it wrong, but don't equate the damage of a RDM to that of a WAR who is equally as geared. That would be a ridiculous thing to insinuate.

Also, don't suggest to people that adding a SMN to party setups slows things down. RDM/SMN/WAR/WAR/BRD/COR kills in 4 minutes as well.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2021-05-16 12:52:30
Link | Quote | Reply

You just said you were doing 35% of the dmg as brd, thats over 1/3 of the dmg output with 4 DD's. Its highly unlikely the cor was worse than your 35%, which leaves a maximum of 30% to be split among both rdm's.
By Crossbones 2021-05-16 12:58:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't say a RDM was the same level of DPS as a WAR, what you said was I brought zero DPS, which is false AF. Maybe don't put words in my mouth or intentionally misquote what I said next time?

RDM is plenty of DPS for this fight, and IMO bringing a second RDM is more optimal than bringing a WAR or SMN (for some reason? IDK what they add), because you will be able to sleep / resleep mobs faster, apply debuffs faster, be able to engage new mobs faster without having to wait for debuffs, and be safer overall. The whole reason people are using scherzo / EA to begin with would be fully negated by having a second RDM if something was causing wipes. Saying a SMN instead of another RDM would slow it down isn't a suggestion, it is a fact, because they bring absolutely nothing and do less damage.

Either way people can do whatever works for them, this month is extremely easy. I'm sure there are plenty of compositions that would equate to 4m or less runs, I just wanted to point out the perks of having a second RDM around.
 Bahamut.Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2021-05-16 12:59:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't say a RDM was the same level of DPS as a WAR, what you said was I brought zero DPS, which is false AF. Maybe don't put words in my mouth or intentionally misquote what I said next time?

RDM is plenty of DPS for this fight, and IMO bringing a second RDM is more optimal than bringing a WAR or SMN (for some reason? IDK what they add), because you will be able to sleep / resleep mobs faster, apply debuffs faster, be able to engage new mobs faster without having to wait for debuffs, and be safer overall. The whole reason people are using scherzo / EA to begin with would be fully negated by having a second RDM if something was causing wipes. Saying a SMN instead of another RDM would slow it down isn't a suggestion, it is a fact, because they bring absolutely nothing and do less damage.

Either way people can do whatever works for them, this month is extremely easy. I'm sure there are plenty of compositions that would equate to 4m or less runs, I just wanted to point out the perks of having a second RDM around.

I'm not sure you pointed out any perks of having a second RDM. A single RDM can do all the debuffing. I do it every run. You have a RDM who is slow or something? You playing with trash RDM, bro?
 Bahamut.Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2021-05-16 13:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

what you said was I brought zero DPS

Never said.

Maybe don't put words in my mouth or intentionally misquote what I said next time?

Heh.
By Crossbones 2021-05-16 13:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
You just said you were doing 35% of the dmg as brd, thats over 1/3 of the dmg output with 4 DD's. Its highly unlikely the cor was worse than your 35%, which leaves a maximum of 30% to be split among both rdm's.

It may be highly unlikely but that was the case. Most of the time the COR was near the bottom of the parse (sometimes even lower than the single wield RDM) because they did not have all their gear optimized (no TP bonus gun being huge, doing literally half the dmg they would have had they had it). As BRD all I had to do was elegy and DPS while the two RDM were busy doing debuffs and resleeping mobs that woke up / had resisted duration sleeps. My BRD is also very strong so I'm not surprised these were the results. I don't think it's even fair to say we had 4 DDs, maybe 3.5 since one RDM was /BLM and mainly focusing on enfeebles (but he had very good gear otherwise).
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7