users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Odin HTBF Discussion
Odin HTBF Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Shichishito 2023-09-06 05:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

A few pages back someone mentioned he couldn't land silent storm even with ES and threnodies although we don't know at which Mlvl he tried.
Also regular silence only has a 2 minute duration and I read Odin builds resistance fast. How long does a run usually take on VD?
By Pantafernando 2023-09-06 05:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

For entire party?

I used to use MNK GEO/COR x2 RDM WHM. Third could be a THF for TH.

MNK do MNK stuffs, pull without any action till RDM preps Odin with frazzle silence. With empy+2 plus standart weapon/accessories I dont see a lot of problems. I do need to cast for immunobreak for it to land, but it lasts like the entire fight duration if there isnt any major problem.

Before the pull, GEOs use barrier and fury, plus entrust haste on MNK. I also make them use chaos and sammurai just to adds more dps. Once hes ready to engage, then frailty and wilt on it so I can completely annul his zantetsomething.

Then multisteps, just paying attention to keep everyone with capped HP to avoid zantetsu kai, erase after ofnir to remove defense down, dispel after yggr to remove his attack boost. GEOs mitigate the full dispel effect. With that, you basically counter every of his worst move, rendering it harmless.

I usually finish before berserk/impetus are down, and I start them once odin is ready to engage.
By Shichishito 2023-09-06 05:59:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen arguments shouting for RDM is basically asking to leech since RDM can solo VD, which made me wonder if there are strats that don't rely on RDM or if one is stuck soloing VE or lvling his own RDM.
By Pantafernando 2023-09-06 06:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Im not sure a RDM can drop Odins entire HP on VD with enspell alone. Plus, must be stressful enough having to constantly keep it silenced for long duration.

But Odin must be silenced, because endark, spikes and kaustra. Unless your WHM (or other jobs) can silence it I guess.
By Shichishito 2023-09-06 06:18:50
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

I've also seen other RDMs claiming they successfully did it, took them around 25 minutes.

I guess if you could pair it with a job that would cut the duration of the fight down by at least half or if TH from THF main increases drops significantly one could still justify teaming up but other than that I'm afraid the leeching argument has a point.
Way to barance your game.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-06 06:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM can indeed enspell 0 tp kill VD Odin. Bard (threnody) may not even be needed with Mlevels.

Other options include, Monk(any DD really) SB of course.
PUP+Smns

I've seen 2 RDM kill VD Odin with just enspell in about 7 minutes. Same guy 3 boxing rdm rdm brd.
 Ragnarok.Jukiro
Server: Ragnarok
user: ikariiiii
By Ragnarok.Jukiro 2023-09-06 06:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't need a RDM to kill it. You do need Silence and Dispel, and as far as I remember some way to increase your party's defense as one of his moves requires high DEF or you will be KO'd.
 Shiva.Cerderic
Server: Shiva
user: Cerderic
By Shiva.Cerderic 2023-09-06 10:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I would guess BLU w/ Tizona can do it. Access to silence, dispel, much better defense options than RDM and a few TP reset moves. Been soloing N with overdrive every hour with mixed results but I'll take 50% win rate over E drop rates.
By Shichishito 2023-09-06 11:06:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Only on paper, in reality BLU silence doesn't land or stick, the TP reset tools aren't enough to keep Odin consistently under 1000TP, not to mention adding that many spells into your rotation will cripple your DD output and therefor also Tizonas MP generation. Maybe with the SU5 sword and subtle blow II path?

The extra defense doesn't help much cause you can only apply most of it to yourself, mighty guard alone is only enough extra defense for trusts to survive zantetsuken on VE and that's only if yggr attack buff isn't active. You can beat Easy on BLU but it becomes very unreliable due to dreadspikes alone, not to mention you need to set right cheering effect and bring a specific stewpot to boost trusts HP and defense, no draylo imho.

I don't think I ever managed to beat N on BLU.
By Ulgar 2023-09-06 12:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

A RDM that can cure cheat would have no issues keeping enmity for a SCH to drop a big fat helix. You are also getting weather for the RDM if you aren't using Orpheus.

A BRD or GEO to make sure you have haste, don't miss, and don't get partial resists on enspell is beneficial.

A TH8 and chill tag is nice even if the THF can't do a 0dmg set.

All of those things make the fight much faster. Pushing 8min in a group rather than 25 solo is def nice if you get it setup.
[+]
By Shichishito 2023-09-06 14:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

To me Odin HTBF seems to be designed with a pet setup in mind:

-Sanngetall suggests they don't want COR or BRD present.
-Geirrothr suggests to bring multiple pet jobs to divide damage by more targets.
-Yggr and Ofnir require to bring dispel and erase
-Zantetsuken x requires def buffs/debuffs
-Drain Spikes discurages melee
-Ranged resistance discourages ranged

Considering all that I'd want to try PUP, BST, GEO, 3x SMN, PUP, GEO, 4x SMN or, if it's true that WHM can land silence, drop one SMN for WHM.

PUP: What ever PUP does to Tank

SMNs:
  • 1st SMN always keeps Titan out for defense favor and quickly reapplying Earthen Armor

• 2nd SMN always keeps out Leviathan for reapplying Tidal Roar, curing with Soothing Current and Spring Water, Slowga doesn't hurt either

• 3rd SMNs Erase defense down among other debuffs with Soothing Ruby (doesn't dispel curse which might be on purpose to help trigger Earthen Armor?) and Dispel attack buff with Atomos or Fenrirs Lunar Roar*

• potential 4th SMN could Garuda for additional cure from Whispering Wind and enhancing the SC by one step

• Maybe attempt to apply Bio II from /RDM or Bio from Diabolos Nightmare if either lands... most likely better to leave this to GEO or BST

GEO:
  • Geo-Frailty for def down

• Indi-Barrier for defense

• Entrust Indi-Wilt or maybe Indi-Torpor but I think SMNs have enough pet-ACC to cap on VD? wiki says he's got 1344 EVA.

• Bio II from /RDM, probably better success than SMN due to native dark skill

• If it lands help Dispeling, apply Frazzle and Distract

BST:
  • Purulent Ooze for 15% attack down bio

• Corrosive Ooze for another 33% attack down and defense down

*I'm not sure but if Corrosive Ooze or Tidal Roar overwrites yggrs attack buff you could save yourself the atomos dispeling hustle.

-Only pets engage to avoid Drain Spikes.
-Everyone escept PUP pet stands behind Odin, everyone stands within 20 yalms, with Earthern Armor and divided by 12 targets Geirrothr should only do 825 damage.
-Bring Remedy or Echo Drops if you're a caster.

-SC for 2-3 SMN setup: Mountain Buster (Gravitation) -> Spinning Dive (Distortion) = Darkness
-SC for 4 SMN setup: Mountain Buster (Gravitation) -> Predator Claws (Fragmentation) -> Spinning Dive (Distortion)
(I assume one SMN is always busy with Erase and/or Dispel but if you find yourself Idle alot feel free to incorporate yourself into the skillchain or apply additional buffs/debuffs, for instance Bitter Elegy, Impact, Dream Shroud, Fenrir or Cait Siths Favor...)

Open questions:
-Does Sirens Lunatic Voice (Silence) land? Can it Immunobreak? probably not.
-Is Kaustra single target or AoE? Lethal on it's own or only due to occult accumen - zantetsuken x follow up? Does he use it multiple times if not silenced?
-Is Earthen Armor enough to mitigate drainga damage?
-Is Holy Water needed for curse or is curse desired to ensure Earthen Armor proc?

TL;DR: IMHO Odins mechanics seem to favor pet parties unless i underestimated something silly like drainga DMG.

Thank You for reading my TED talk.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-06 14:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Not all that complicated, pup is essentially invincible as long as silence is on (might not even matter in current year) Have to deus on insta-death and regrab

Smns just pact ramuh/siren, no geo required, 5 minutes

I haven't done it since before master levels were added
 Bahamut.Noscrying
Server: Bahamut
user: NoScrying
By Bahamut.Noscrying 2023-09-06 15:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Im not sure a RDM can drop Odins entire HP on VD with enspell alone. Plus, must be stressful enough having to constantly keep it silenced for long duration.

But Odin must be silenced, because endark, spikes and kaustra. Unless your WHM (or other jobs) can silence it I guess.

During Cornelia I was soloing at around 25-28 mins.
Had to drop to D when the campaign ended, sadge.
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2023-09-06 15:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kruel said: »
THe SMN nerf is in effect on Odin HTBF, skillchains between avatars are next to worthless they deal 10% dmg.

The penalty is to repeated consecutive actions, regardless if they're spells or weaponskills or bloodpacts, and it resets after 5 different actions have been performed. If you have 3 SMN each with a different avatar out that rotate pacts, there is no issue whatsoever.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2023-09-06 15:42:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Lili said: »
THe SMN nerf is in effect on Odin HTBF, skillchains between avatars are next to worthless they deal 10% dmg.

The penalty is to repeated consecutive actions, regardless if they're spells or weaponskills or bloodpacts, and it resets after 5 different actions have been performed. If you have 3 SMN each with a different avatar out that rotate pacts, there is no issue whatsoever.

Was this nerf applied after the fight was released? I have vague memories of doing this with 2 SMNs, Flaming Crush => something else for light, can't remember what.

Edit: Ramuh maybe?
[+]
 Siren.Kruel
Server: Siren
user: Kruel666
By Siren.Kruel 2023-09-06 15:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lili said: »

That's the mechanics for the odin fight in general, the SMN nerf makes "any" follow up blood pact within 8 seconds deal 10% dmg, separate mechanic.

The SMN nerf was applied to content around that time, I know for sure Cait Sith, Lilith and Shinryu all have the nerf, I've never used SMN on Alexander so not sure on that one, and older HTBF's do not have the nerf, but every single content SE released along with and after said HTBF's have the SMN nerf.

(The nerf was actually applied slightly after the Odin HTBF release, so avatar dmg works fine in it.)
 Bahamut.Jedigamer
user: Jedigamer
By Bahamut.Jedigamer 2023-09-06 16:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I've helped probably 8 people in my shell get everything that Odin drops, so I've done this fight once or twice... I've only ever done VD and I've done it using the pet method. PUP SMNx2 RDM THF COR using Beast + Pup rolls. The SMNs do Hysteric Assault > Flaming Crush for light and I can tell you that none of the damage from that was nerfed and I constantly did 60k+ flaming crushes and the light damage was always high. Smooth and easy fight and took maybe 4-5 minutes.

Don't believe the SMN haters. The pet method works great.
[+]
 Siren.Kruel
By Siren.Kruel 2023-09-06 16:28:35
Link | Quote | Reply

SMN haters? Have you seen my avatar lol?

As for the nerf, I'll need to re test it then, because it's definitely in effect on the Cait Sith HTBF, "maybe" the Odin one slightly pre-dated the nerf, but it will have been very close, but if so, the nerf will not be in effect on it.

It was like 3-4 years ago, and both the nerf and the Odin HTBF were released very closely together.

I'll hold my hands up if I'm wrong, but it was an easy mistake to make considering how close to an overlap there might have been or not been with that HTBF and the SMN nerf.
 Siren.Kruel
By Siren.Kruel 2023-09-06 16:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems the Odin HTBF did ever so slightly pre-date the SMN nerf, deleting and adjusting my earlier comments.
By smii 2023-09-06 16:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jedigamer said: »
I've helped probably 8 people in my shell get everything that Odin drops, so I've done this fight once or twice... I've only ever done VD and I've done it using the pet method. PUP SMNx2 RDM THF COR using Beast + Pup rolls. The SMNs do Hysteric Assault > Flaming Crush for light and I can tell you that none of the damage from that was nerfed and I constantly did 60k+ flaming crushes and the light damage was always high. Smooth and easy fight and took maybe 4-5 minutes.

Don't believe the SMN haters. The pet method works great.

I've done this strat, it's great. We had the SMNs alternate who would open the SC when Apogee was up to squeeze in a bit more dmg. Even Siren's SB2 aura was good for the TH poke THF. This comp at this fight is kinda bonkers.
[+]
By Nariont 2023-09-06 16:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin got the dyna-div treatment where spamming the same ws will gradually drop its damage, its the htbs after odin that got the wonky 1st hit gets full dmg then every subsequent hit gets reduced nerf, and i think that might have later got toned down in an update
 Siren.Kruel
By Siren.Kruel 2023-09-06 16:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Yup admitted my mistake, back then I was duoing VD with a PUP as SMN, and didn't have to re do the fight till a year or 2 later and used the RDM method from then on, so never actually got to test avatar skillchains on him back then (Apogee with 2 different avatars was too dangerous to risk on him cos you have to stand right next to him to be able to skillchain with 2 different avatars solo in time), but I shouldn't have made an assumption regardless of how close to the nerf being implemented it was, again, easy mistake to make.
[+]
By Shichishito 2023-09-06 17:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you guys do it befor the VD RDM solo strat was discovered or were the RDMs friends who did you a favor?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-06 17:05:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I did it because I dont use rdm. And shouts were commonly looking for pups (cause no one has 2100 geared pup)

Technically pre rdm enspell meta.
 Siren.Kruel
By Siren.Kruel 2023-09-06 17:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Nowadays I actually use both, RDM and SMN.

I make sure to have all trust/players in range to split dmg, and multi step RDM odin to 55%, he can't Zant till 51% and below.

Then I switch to enspell method whilst also alternating blood pacts, since they give zero tp and the rdm has already built a bunch of enmity multi stepping to 55%, roughly an 8 min kill on VD.

(I say roughly 8 mins, because sometimes Odin decides to constantly intimidate and break skillchains).
 Bahamut.Jedigamer
user: Jedigamer
By Bahamut.Jedigamer 2023-09-06 19:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I joined a group with someone that was trying the enspell method and it failed. Not sure why since they were good players, but maybe the RDM didn't have their lv.1 dagger equipped? I also tried with a PLD who kept their defense high while we focused on lowering Odin's attack. Not horrible but meh.
By Draylo 2023-09-06 19:43:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably fed it tp or took too long to silence him. SMN and a RDM pairing can do this quite easily, no need to solo everything just find some help. I actually like doing this fight I find it fun and I like Odin
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-09-06 20:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You can do more than 0 damage with 1 dmg weapons if you have enough master levels. Elvaan if that matters.

All my Odin clears on RDM were tanking with stoneskin while it died to my friend's helix. I think i threw out silence, bio 3, paralyze(?), and dispeled. Not very hard after you get it down. Pretty sure our 3rd did token TH and then sat in the corner.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10