WASD vs ARROWS
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-10 17:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Lol hey Clin! I just poked you like 30 seconds ago!

Rofl i was just about to say to whatever you said zomg your everywhare~ /panic
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 17:28:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinpachi said:
Man.. took the reply right out of my mouth XD When you manual and menu things spell cast is your best friend.

>:3 Great minds think alike!
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-10 17:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninian said:
Dasva said:
I manually do stuff sometimes too. Especially on rdm. As is my normal pt or sleep nuke rdm uses a more then a full maccro book anyways add on say crazy extra stuff from different subs most notably /sch wackiness yeah to easy and fast to maccro if I can just shift thru. However if I need to gear swap with a spell/ja it is maccroed. unless its like day of the week/hp/weather crap.

Spellcast is greater than all. Yeah I know, I'm a cheater etc. :<

Yeah I don't cheat so thar!
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-10 17:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I would have said the same thing, but eh.

Can't live without my Spellcast though >.>
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-10 17:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Also doesn't help that I still use windower version 3.24 so don't have spell cast know nothing about xml or even really writing windower maccros and would rather work within the system
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 17:33:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah seriously. I don't know how (most of the) players live without it. Even normal Windower macros are nothing in comparison. @____@;; It's like once you live with Spellcast, you can't play the game any other way. I'm going to have to play on my XBOX360 tonight (keyboard-less since I came home for the weekend unprepared =.=) and I'm going to die inside, and I bet people will actually die too ; ; Hopefully they put me on BRD and don't expect me to -na people.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-10 17:34:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Also doesn't help that I still use windower version 3.24 so don't have spell cast know nothing about xml or even really writing windower maccros and would rather work within the system

I mean that is understandable. I don't ever touch the subjects of 3rd party tools vs legit ever. It's more honorable and skilled if you can manage to be good without.

Spellcast allows for complete accuracy though. With so many people's epeens and "zomg no 95% accuracy cap? your gimp" i wouldn't be surprised if this was the norm as well.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-10 17:35:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninian said:
Yeah seriously. I don't know how (most of the) players live without it. Even normal Windower macros are nothing in comparison. @____@;; It's like once you live with Spellcast, you can't play the game any other way. I'm going to have to play on my XBOX360 tonight (keyboard-less since I came home for the weekend unprepared =.=) and I'm going to die inside, and I bet people will actually die too ; ; Hopefully they put me on BRD and don't expect me to -na people.

Ha such a crutch. And this is how the windower people cheat and have no skill and couldn't pull off those solos without them come about. Seriously though it comes down to good well thought out series of maccros and um maybe quick fingers. Look at Avesta that guy scrolled thru like 2-3 sets most the time lol. Also preparing to do another while casting one thing...
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-10 17:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Ninian said:

Ha such a crutch. And this is how the windower people cheat and have no skill and couldn't pull off those solos without them come about. Seriously though it comes down to good well thought out series of maccros and um maybe quick fingers. Look at Avesta that guy scrolled thru like 2-3 sets most the time lol. Also preparing to do another while casting one thing...

I wouldn't go that far to call it a crutch or criticize someone saying they have no skill.

The difference is summed up best as:

Having all 10 macro sets with billions of macros vs Casting what you need and allowing spell cast to automatically swap it for you based on your XML.

The thing is, spellcast you need to write the XML yourself.

So in actuality Writting 5 million macro lines in-game =/= Spellcast XML execution.

The difference is you don't have to hit 2-3+ macro's to swap gear THEN cast the spell.

I'm not trying to justify or defend, but the fact of the matter is that it's the same in the end... it's just how it's executed.
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 17:46:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Spellcast really isn't a crutch. You could do the same thing with Windower macros or even FFXI macro sets, you'd just have to hit an awful lot of buttons, or equip an awful lot of gearsets manually. Spellcast streamlines everything. Also, you need to be smart enough to be able to write an XML that deals with your own character's situation. If you have a computer, you should use Spellcast just for the convenience. I would never call anyone (but Rowland) gimp for not having Spellcast, but it really really makes your life so much simpler. And being able to manually type out macros and have the appropriate gear swaps happen is a major plus.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-10 17:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

O_O you gotta quit being in my head Ninian... srsly.

This topic seems to have been derailed heavily, should probably go back to the WSAD vs arrows discussion XD
 Odin.Aramina
Server: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-10-10 17:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

USB 360 Controller on PC (also use a lot of Ctrl+ shortcuts)
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 17:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinpachi said:
O_O you gotta quit being in my head Ninian... srsly.

This topic seems to have been derailed heavily, should probably go back to the WSAD vs arrows discussion XD

Ohohohohohohoho! It's my thread, I do what I want. And it's semi-relevant since I was really just seeing how people played the game, and what their reasoning for doing so was. >:3 I'm so computer onry, wasd and windower/spellcast biased, that I'm trying to wrap my head around how people can play other ways. XD
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-10 17:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Spellcast+Aliases is like the best thing ever.

Nothing beats being able to type //c4 and have it equip appropriate gear for Cure IV AND cast the spell.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-10 17:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah when i went to fan festival 07 and was playing with others, at first they laughed when i switched the controls to compact settings, but then when they saw how i combined the movements+camera while manual typing, everyone was all:

O_x

lol. I actually wondered this same thing not long ago after a discussion with my fiance who also plays the same way i do now (minus the typing because shes slower at it).
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-10 17:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:

Nothing beats being able to type //c4 and have it equip appropriate gear for Cure IV AND cast the spell.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand you learn something new everyday.

*looks into this*

i often also type /target <persons name> so i can macro faster.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-10 17:54:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Hell, //c4 c would automatically target you if you were the only person with a name that began with C also.
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 17:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:

So nice. D:

To Clin: That's sooo funny. Even knowing how people play I think isn't enough. It'd be great to actually see things in action. My friend dual/multi boxes, and I really really really want to see how the heck.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-10 17:58:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninian said:
My friend dual/multi boxes, and I really really really want to see how the heck.

I do this also. I have two characters, my main one with 12 75s, then a BRD/THF/BLM/RDM that I mostly use for solo-duoing.

I did Charybdis dual-boxed xD BRD/SCH+NIN/DNC
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 17:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Ninian said:
My friend dual/multi boxes, and I really really really want to see how the heck.

I do this also. I have two characters, my main one with 12 75s, then a BRD/THF/BLM/RDM that I mostly use for solo-duoing.

I did Charybdis dual-boxed xD BRD/SCH+NIN/DNC

Yeah, this is exactly what my friend does. @___@; And often he plays me ontop of his Main+Mule, and I'm like "wat". Although I'm pretty sure he generally plays me on PS2 or something because I often see me wearing weirdass combinations of gear when he has my spellcast.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-10 18:00:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Mutiple monitor setups can really help dual boxing.. or if you are fast at ALT+TAB.

User submitted image

And yes i have had a FFXI game on each monitor XD. That picture was taken sometime last year after i finished pouring all my tax return and 3 paychecks into the system itself.

I already need to upgrade ; ;
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 18:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

o______o
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-10 18:05:14
Link | Quote | Reply

oh hey apparently i was watching two and a half men on monitor 3.

epic XD.

Oh and that keyboard was trash... i got the oldschool G15 in april. <3 G-keys are also nice sometimes.
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 18:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinpachi said:
oh hey apparently i was watching two and a half men on monitor 3.

epic XD.

Oh and that keyboard was trash... i got the oldschool G15 in april. <3 G-keys are also nice sometimes.

Rofl. I wish I were as bad-*** as you! *laughs*
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 18:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
I can't stand using compact keyboard, especially since I play on xbox. I use the numpad otherwise.

YOU PLAY WRONGLY GO DIE! D:<
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-10 18:09:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Well i didn't build the PC for gaming/FFXI it just happened to work out awesome that way. I'm a graphic design major and anyone who is in that field can tell you an FTP on 1 monitor, design process in the main monitor, and a browser to test what you just uploaded will increase your productivity by double or more.

SOMEHOW my adobe flash CS4 still lags like ***when working on graphic intensive projects. Sucks.

...and honestly the keyboard settings you use are all preference... even the controller aspect. Play what you enjoy using.

We are all already playing a game that's nearly 7 years old soon, gotta find SOME comfortable way to cope with this ***XD
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 18:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinpachi said:
Well i didn't build the PC for gaming/FFXI it just happened to work out awesome that way. I'm a graphic design major and anyone who is in that field can tell you an FTP on 1 monitor, design process in the main monitor, and a browser to test what you just uploaded will increase your productivity by double or more.

SOMEHOW my adobe flash CS4 still lags like ***when working on graphic intensive projects. Sucks.

Yeah I'm in that field too, but I really don't have the funds to do something like that yet. Flash CS4 eats everything. My photoshop CS3 hardly opens anymore, I need to get a better computer. It takes like 10minutes to get it open. At least it runs ok once opened.... and I need to get CS4 from a friend toooo......
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-10 18:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I have Photoshop CS4 >.> -Brags- I made my Jenova with it.
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 18:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
I have Photoshop CS4 >.> -Brags- I made my Jenova with it.

Hate. I need to get ittttttt like naaaaao. :<