Relic Choices...

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Relic choices...
Relic choices...
First Page 2
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-04 11:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

So I'm at that point where I should probably start considering a relic weapon...I have it narrowed down to two, possibly three...
User submitted imageUser submitted image

Orrrrr...

User submitted imageUser submitted image

If anyone has any first- or second-hand experience with either weapon (I personally haven't seen either yet on Siren server, but I know they exist) I'd be happy to get some input on which is more worthwhile.

Thanks in advance.
[+]
 Valefor.Usul
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Usul 2009-10-04 11:56:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yoichi, 2 jobs = more bang for your buck.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-04 11:59:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Usul said:

Even if I did get Yoichi, I really wouldn't use it on SAM, lol. (Though I've seen a Yoichi/Soboro SAM/DRG in action, they're a force to be reckoned with (Since you don't need to be /RNG in order to use Namas Arrow))
 Bahamut.Dracondria
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-10-04 12:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply

If I were to get a relic for RNG I'd go with the gun myself, it seems to do more damage.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-04 12:14:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Dracondria said:
If I were to get a relic for RNG I'd go with the gun myself, it seems to do more damage.

It does do more damage, but at the cost of higher delay and a crappier WS/WS mods. Looks cooler though >.>
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-10-04 12:15:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I say the gun, but I love pew-pewing as Cor, so I'm slightly biased. :3
And I'd want a relic that not everyone and their mother has; like Aegis and Mandau (sp?), and this bow.
 Caitsith.Xiong
Server: Caitsith
user: Xiong
By Caitsith.Xiong 2009-10-04 12:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I would go w/ Gun, the aftermath of gun is much more worth it imo. Having RNG you should know how fast RNG can build hate, being able to lower that enmity by using Coronach is just amazing. Namas Arrow gives R ACC aftermath, which in turn is good too, but lowering enmity is just gold. That's just my 2 cents.

Btw, you have gone through how long this may take etc. etc. right? Because I've seen many people begin this journey only to quit, because its a very long journey ; ; I myself am still on this journey ^^

Either one you go with, just remember to have fun w/ it, and choose the one you like ^^
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-10-04 12:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I knew someone with a Relic Gun before Relic Weapons were cool. He loved that thing like it was his child. No other gun was comparrable to it in terms of DPS. unlike quite a few other Relics. (Martial Bhuj to GA, Hagun to GK, etc). Never personally knew anyone with the Bow, but the gun damage was just silly. Besides, as a RNG you're more likely to use a gun over a bow anytime anyway...just go Gun since you said your SAM will never touch the Bow anyway.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-10-04 12:21:48
Link | Quote | Reply

All the parses and maths I have seen shows there is very little difference.

They each have a different play style associated to them:

*Coronach allows a more 'aggressive' style without drawing hate.
*Namas allows you to regear for more attack/STR.

If I were you (having SAM and RNG leveled), I would take the bow. The advantage to your RNG is obvious and I have Yoichi SAMs can to some silly things.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-10-04 12:29:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Argettio said:
allows a more 'aggressive' style without drawing hate.

Isn't that every DD's dream? lol.
 Caitsith.Ilolatyou
user: Bloodlust
By Caitsith.Ilolatyou 2009-10-04 12:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Having seen both weapons on HNMs such as Ixion, and also in the more laid back setting of meripos, I'd go with the gun every single time. Coronach is literally a life saver in a lot of situations, or simply a tool that allows you to go crazy, safe in the knowledge that the mob wont even look at you.

And more importantly, it looks cooler.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-04 12:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing is, though, both Relic WSs take very little hate, which with Sidewinder/Slug Shot, that was the biggest source of enmity. So with Yoichi you'd take less hate over time anyway. And my endgame shell had an Aegis PLD and he never even lost hate with me spamming WSs.

And keep in mind:
Yoichi has only 10 DMG on E Bow, but also has higher delay, and worse added stats, whereas Annihilator has like 8 DMG (I think) and a lot better delay over Hellfire+1. So, compared to the previous best weapons, Annihilator is more of an improvement.

Also, my merits are currently suited for Archery, and so is my gear.

So it's really a tradeoff, and I still really can't decide lol.
[+]
 Phoenix.Jovant
Server: Phoenix
user: Jovant
By Phoenix.Jovant 2009-10-04 12:56:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Usul said:

this has been talked about soooooo much... >.>;

2 jobs > 1 job.

BUT...

Relic Gun: if u plan on using mostly in xp parties because its possibke to melee and shot with a gun which makes Kc+Gun "Godly"
Relic Bow: if u plan on using it most in HNM/Ls events add Ws of namas can help with landing more on something with higher evasion.

My 2cents: i would say u need to refine your rng gear alittle more bro, i would hate to see a relic holder with something like a fire staff (even tho it seems to be the new thing nowadays to get a relic and still have sub-par gear >.>;) work on ur gar first and "Try" to get a KC before moving into a relic, if u are able to get your KC get the Gun you'll be more happy that way. but if ur eyes is turely set on a getting a relic like now go bow.
sam/rng (sobro +bow relic) > then rng/war (bow relic) in a xp party situation. Nama's spam FTW! lol (wth added racc on the ws too lol)
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-04 14:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Jovant said:
My 2cents: i would say u need to refine your rng gear alittle more bro

Yeah, I'm not really full-timing RNG yet (Working towards Maat's Cap currently, then I'll worry about fully gearing some of my 75s). It's just that like if I do get a relic weapon before I completely re-gear RNG, it will give me that much more to look forward to. Or something.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-10-04 14:44:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-04 14:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:

Ty for your input.
 Valefor.Usul
By Valefor.Usul 2009-10-04 14:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If you don't plan on using Yoichi on Sam, I'd say gun then if just for Rng. Gear and merits you have could affect your decision some but those are easily changed vs the work of getting a relic.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-04 14:48:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm leaning toward Gun now also. It's 40M cheaper, too. Lol.

But mainly because of the fact that guns do more damage in melee range, and I take hate a lot so I'll be in melee range frequently.
 Valefor.Usul
By Valefor.Usul 2009-10-04 14:54:55
Link | Quote | Reply

40M is a lot of bullets ~.^;
 Phoenix.Darkreaper
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Darkreaper 2009-10-04 15:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

40M can also go towards that kraken club. But on a more serious note. A friend of mine has Amano, gun and bow. Whenever he's on Ranger, I only ever see him using his gun particular at stuff like KB and other events he was to go ranger too. But whenever i saw him on sam he'd have his Amano and Bow equipped. But i do not think i've ever once saw him use the bow on either job. If you ask me its mostly just for show when he's on sam. I'd say get the gun you'll like it better overall.

Although personally i'd only ever upgrade an Apoc, only relic i'd find fun to play with.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-04 15:16:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkreaper said:
Although personally i'd only ever upgrade an Apoc, only relic i'd find fun to play with.

That's the third one I was considering. Only problem is I never get to do anything on DRK. Otherwise I'd probably do Apoc.
 Caitsith.Xiong
user: Xiong
By Caitsith.Xiong 2009-10-04 21:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

lol I hear ya Enternius. I'm just about at stage 4 on Apoc, my DRK only sees the light of day when we need zerg something XD.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-04 21:24:56
Link | Quote | Reply

My vote goes to Annihlator since you said you wouldn't really use Yoichi on SAM. If that has even the shadow of a chance that it might change though, Yoichi all the way.

Good luck with your relic!
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-10-04 21:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Given the posts so far I'd say you're secretly looking for support for Annihilator, so I'm going that way as well. lol
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-04 21:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Caiyuo said:
Given the posts so far I'd say you're secretly looking for support for Annihilator, so I'm going that way as well. lol

"I've made my decision, now justify it for me!" lol

A question/hijack: I'm considering upgrading a weapon starting sometime within the next year, when I've got all the jobs I want to level to 75 and semi-well geared and merited (read: most of my AHables out of the way so gil is poured into food, abjurations, Salvage gear, and relic/mythic only). I know I can finish it, but my main question at this point is whether or not I want to actually start - I'd be committing to at least 2-3 more years of FFXI by upgrading a weapon, I'm not going to quit mid-upgrade or immediately after if I can avoid doing so.

You've actually made the decision to upgrade. How did the future of FFXI in light of other games and MMOs on the way and the late point in FFXI's lifespan impact your decision?
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-04 22:08:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Nightfyre said:
You've actually made the decision to upgrade. How did the future of FFXI in light of other games and MMOs on the way and the late point in FFXI's lifespan impact your decision?

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone.

FFXIV's release can only make FFXI better. My reasoning for this, is that most of the noobs will run off and play FFXIV since they haven't really established a career in FFXI, per se. That leaves the die-hard FFXI players, which is beneficial not only in parties, but in endgame where we don't have people casting Diaga on sleeping Dynamis mobs on accident >.>

Plus, less people on servers means NMs will be easier to camp/claim, Dynamis will be easier to get into (Lowering the price of currency) and just in general good news no matter how you look at it.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-04 22:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

That is damn good logic. Thank you.
 Siren.Quagmire
user: Quagmire
By Siren.Quagmire 2009-10-05 00:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Ent., my 2 cents bro... Go with the relic you desire most. As in, if you love dark more then ranger apoc all the way. F what others think is best, cause in the end it's your Gil being spent to upgrade not theirs.
If it was all baught and paid for from others hands the the only true helpful, as a whole relic is bards.
Your Gil, your time, make it your enjoyment. :D
now if I could only decide what I want to start. ><
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-05 00:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Quagmire said:
now if I could only decide what I want to start. ><

Claustrum.

DOO EET.
 Unicorn.Motokosun
Server: Unicorn
user: mattchew
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-10-05 01:23:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Gun.

You said yourself as Sam i'd never use the bow. Doesn't that statement right there answer your question?

It did for me.
First Page 2