How Many Ls's Do You Have?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » How many ls's do you have?
How many ls's do you have?
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-06 19:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

2. A dynamis shell and a social shell.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-09-06 19:43:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay I'll be frank, 23 is *** ridiculous. lol It'd kill me to have to make room for and check-in on all those freaking shells, unless you're the "can anyone halp? /tell prz" and move onto the next shell type, which I hope isn't the case. lol

I have 3 shells, personally. 1 for Dyna, 1 social that I keep in case the leader ever returns and a Social/Limbus.
 Asura.Celene
Server: Asura
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-09-06 19:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I technically have four.

1 HNM -> 1 Einherjar -> 1 Dynamis
1 Social

Basically, Einherjar and Dynamis are done in different shells so people who don't want, don't have to and also allows us to pick up other members who don't want HNM.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-09-06 19:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I have 2.

Amalgam (EuroDynamis)
and Turtle ftw!

Kuponut was my attempt at a Dyna LS, that didn't take off as planned, not sure why it keeps being listed on here >_>

Been with turtle since I started 5~6 years ago!
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-06 19:58:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Back before I even really fished I somehow got into a fishing ls lol
 Kujata.Nanyo
Server: Kujata
user: Nanyo
By Kujata.Nanyo 2009-09-06 20:05:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I've 4.

A Social Shell that is long since Dead

A Endgame LS

A Dynamis LS

And a Personal LS (IE My STOP ASKING ME IF I WANT TO JOIN YOUR LS FOR NOT WEARING ANY SHELL AT ALL!) It's only got me in it <.<
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-09-06 20:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ericka said:

23 is nothing but inventory +23 >.>

mog satchel do you have it?

I got a mog satchel a few days ago lol but I've had 20-25 ls's for a long time.

Caiyuo said:
Okay I'll be frank, 23 is *** ridiculous. lol It'd kill me to have to make room for and check-in on all those freaking shells, unless you're the "can anyone halp? /tell prz" and move onto the next shell type, which I hope isn't the case. lol

I have 3 shells, personally. 1 for Dyna, 1 social that I keep in case the leader ever returns and a Social/Limbus.

Idk, like I said I'm a pack rat... xD For the longest time I only had about 5 spaces free even using my outbox to store 8 things and inbox to store maybe 6. which probably is when I should've gotten rid of some ls's. but oh well, i have plenty of space now.

and no! i don't regularly do that "halp prz" LMAO but i have done it a few times. it never really works. i have much much better luck asking people on my friends list. but thats pretty full as well... >.>;;

Dasva said:
Back before I even really fished I somehow got into a fishing ls lol

wow a fishing ls?! thats awesome! did you guys give eachother advice?
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-09-06 20:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I have 3...

DancingMuffins - Social
Calm - Dynamis
Rhuidean - Place holder
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-09-06 20:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Question: What is an "Endgame" ls and a "Dynamis" LS? I couldn't sworn Dyna was endgame. c.c
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-06 20:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
Question: What is an "Endgame" ls and a "Dynamis" LS? I couldn't sworn Dyna was endgame. c.c

My dynamis ls doesn't do the rest of endgame. It's JUST dynamis. When I think of an "endgame LS" I think of an LS that does more than 1 end game activity.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-09-06 21:07:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Just 4...

1) Social that's for real life friends
2) Limbus
3) Salvage
4) Sea
 Asura.Shamaya
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2009-09-06 21:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Wardens said:
I think I have 23, and for some reason people aren't sure why I have that many.. >.>
Pretty sure if you've got 3 dyna shells and multiple sky shells etc etc they can't all be that good, haha.

I think this is an interesting thread though. It touches on a certain kind of "in-game culture" that's changed over the years.

I think it's more common these days to have multiple linkshells, the majority of which specialize in a certain type of event, and then one main 'general' linkshell or no main linkshell at all.

I'm guessing this and the advent of pickup groups is simply because there are so many people with (multiple) 75's these days.

I have 3. One main (general; moreso HNMls) linkshell, one einherjar, one salvage. I also have a shellholder pearl for my backup social ls.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-09-06 21:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm glad you thought so Shamaya. :) I was thinking about it earlier, and I hadn't recalled seeing a # of ls's people have thread. so I thought it would be interesting to see if I really do something thats considered that odd.

and yes, i suppose it isn't all good. For me, the only endgame ls that i actually stuck with for multiple months was sky which got me my Byakko's Haidate semi-recently. i consistantly stuck with that ls all summer. conveniently for me, about 3 weeks after i got them, the ls came under new leadership and is now... for lack of better terms, falling apart.

one of the reasons I keep multiple ls's that serve the same purpose is also to see what some ls's do differently. if I felt like it I could start going with my Dynamis ls to finish getting all of my PLD gear by using points. or if i just don't have the time for that, i can go with my ls that lets me pick a main/sub lot.

in my opinion having this many ls's just gives me more resources to do things.

Some things I haven't dabbled in is HNMs, ZNMs, and salvage. I will have to check those out.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-06 22:09:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Wardens said:

But it gives your LS's one less resource to progress and get better, because you're always hopping to another shell when you don't feel like doing something, or you don't feel like following the rules that day.
[+]
 Unicorn.Boyaci
Server: Unicorn
user: Boyaci
By Unicorn.Boyaci 2009-09-06 22:24:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Katarzyna said:
Wardens said:

But it gives your LS's one less resource to progress and get better, because you're always hopping to another shell when you don't feel like doing something, or you don't feel like following the rules that day.

^ This.

The way you've presented your LS scenario is not very flattering at all, Wardens. You have said that you are really just trying to "Keep Up With the Joneses" by making sure you can see what each shell is doing at any given time and try to get yourself in on the latest and greatest; but, in the end, you are also really just in it for yourself.

If you feel that one shell's current system can get you PLD gear, you go with them; but if they can't, you go with another.

What makes a LS great, in my opinion, is the sacrifice I make for you, and the sacrifice you then make for me. That sacrifice, namely, being time and effort.

Shamaya really hit the nail on the head: the in-game culture has changed considerably over the last several years, and Wardens has offered himself up as Prime Example #1 of that change.

Loyalty is gone, people no longer ask "What great things can this group and I get while doing great things together?", it's now "What great things can this group get me in the shortest time possible?".

And sadly, when the answer isn't shiny enough to stroke his epeen, the person moves on to the next LS in their inventory list.
[+]
 Siren.Rainewaters
Server: Siren
By Siren.Rainewaters 2009-09-06 22:59:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Endgame
Social full of Russians. XD
 Unicorn.Emirii
Server: Unicorn
user: Emerii1
By Unicorn.Emirii 2009-09-06 23:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

5 right now x.x lol

1 for end game (sea, sky, etc.)
1 for Einherjar
1 for Social
1 for TOAU King
1 for Dynamis!

lol
 Gilgamesh.Aaralynn
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Aaralyn
By Gilgamesh.Aaralynn 2009-09-07 00:02:35
Link | Quote | Reply

On Shiva I used to have 10. Except, I wasn't the one asking for help. I'd see people shout in WG and help them. Then they would invite me to their ls for helping them. I'd occasionally pop in them all and see if anyone needed any help when I was bored.

Now, I have only 2. One EG/HNM, other SMN burn/social.
 Quetzalcoatl.Irie
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Galatea
By Quetzalcoatl.Irie 2009-09-07 00:15:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Main HNMLS (Does it all)
Einherjar (Everyone from main + a few outsiders)

I also agree that having 23 linkshells is a bit ridiculous.

If you were just a social person and didn't want gear, that would be slightly different.

We arent saying you are a horrible person, but your other shells might see you as flakey (jumping from shell to shell, even just to talk) multiple times per day?

Most shells, and I would hope the leaders, know their members and can tell when you are dedicated, having fun, enjoying the shell, or just there for the items. If they know you are only there socially, then it's probably not a problem!

Again, not trying to knock you or make you feel insignificant or anything, I been with 2 HNMLS in my whole 6? years ingame, so the honor/beliefs/dedications just rolls a different way for me.
 Garuda.Sheila
Server: Garuda
user: Valkyrie
By Garuda.Sheila 2009-09-07 00:58:23
Link | Quote | Reply

1 that is a social/end game shell..we do lots of stuff..almost everything but HNM :D

and my other shell is Dynamis.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-09-07 01:19:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Boyaci said:
Katarzyna said:
Wardens said:

^ This.

The way you've presented your LS scenario is not very flattering at all, Wardens. You have said that you are really just trying to "Keep Up With the Joneses" by making sure you can see what each shell is doing at any given time and try to get yourself in on the latest and greatest; but, in the end, you are also really just in it for yourself.

If you feel that one shell's current system can get you PLD gear, you go with them; but if they can't, you go with another.

What makes a LS great, in my opinion, is the sacrifice I make for you, and the sacrifice you then make for me. That sacrifice, namely, being time and effort.

Shamaya really hit the nail on the head: the in-game culture has changed considerably over the last several years, and Wardens has offered himself up as Prime Example #1 of that change.

Loyalty is gone, people no longer ask "What great things can this group and I get while doing great things together?", it's now "What great things can this group get me in the shortest time possible?".

And sadly, when the answer isn't shiny enough to stroke his epeen, the person moves on to the next LS in their inventory list.

I will not agrue any of this when it comes to dynamis only. No gear I can get from dynamis is worth hours and hours of my time to get the points to lot on things. So because of this, if a friend sends me a /tell saying they need my PLD or another DD I will lend my assistance. but i tell them up front i won't be a regular member. I will not be held down for something that takes up the majority of my day after hours of classes for something that is useless to me.

For sky on the other hand, there are several things i want, so i will and already have put many hours into farming, killing gods and kirin. so your comment about me while it may be true in some aspects, doesn't mean it defines exactly what i do.

Katarzyna said:
Wardens said:

i did not mean i get my gear and then leave. some of you are taking my words far too literally. I do not do this for endgame ls's normally. I have set in my phone calendar/alarm my weekly sky and limbus events. those i go to every possible chance i get, whenever rl things do not interfere.

i mean in a sense of... "okay, noone in my social ls is talking i'm bored.. i think i'll check a few of the ls's on me and see if anything interesting is going on." then i'll see an lsmes saying they are doing a swift belt run in the coming weekend (this is actually how i got mine). and i went, i stayed til everyone got theres.

and this is JUST AN EXAMPLE. i am not saying i go sift through my many ls's and see what i can get from them and then put them away again. i usually only keep 6-8 on me at any one time. 2-3 of them being my regular endgame ls's. if i find i am not visiting an ls at least occasionally i put it in my mog house. and then idk however much time later i go through see if any are broken and if they are i throw them away.

Irie said:
Main HNMLS (Does it all)
Einherjar (Everyone from main + a few outsiders)

I also agree that having 23 linkshells is a bit ridiculous.

If you were just a social person and didn't want gear, that would be slightly different.

We arent saying you are a horrible person, but your other shells might see you as flakey (jumping from shell to shell, even just to talk) multiple times per day?

Most shells, and I would hope the leaders, know their members and can tell when you are dedicated, having fun, enjoying the shell, or just there for the items. If they know you are only there socially, then it's probably not a problem!

Again, not trying to knock you or make you feel insignificant or anything, I been with 2 HNMLS in my whole 6? years ingame, so the honor/beliefs/dedications just rolls a different way for me.

i'll be the first to admit i'm flakey. i really don't like being held down by obligation (not talking about relationships). i really prefer to go with the flow, its how i am in rl as well, not just a game thing.

ok, well here's an example of what i sometimes do. (also, i don't normally change multiple times a day)

today i was in my normal ls for a few hours. i saw my friend i have known for a few years (i just happened to have his ls) so i switched to it and said hi to everyone because i recognized a few members, and i proceded to stay in that ls for the rest of the night before logging off.

it appears i really did not go into enough detail about my ls habits.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-09-07 01:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

1 social ls, 1 dyna/endgame ls that I just BARELY go to.

I have other lses from friends that I've accepted out of politeness, but I always tell them I'm devoted to UltimaLM no matter what. I'd rather help out a fellow lsmate with farming up coffers for AF, etc. than get into endgame :(
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-09-07 01:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

1 limbus shell

aside from that I have an empty ls equipped most of the time.

I know that seems anti-social, but its really not. I got my friends spread over idk how many ls's and most of them are in different end game ls's, so i couldnt really be in the same ls as all my friends anyway.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-09-07 01:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

awww :/ empty ls's are sad. i was with an ls for a year and a half before. that was amazing. its been a while since i found an ls i really like every member and want to stick with them. but i'm still good friends with most of the members that were in that ls.

i'm still not sure why most people don't have many. it seems i keep as many on me, as most people have total.

its not actually all that different. i just don't throw away ls's i don't use anymore (packrat). all while occasionally picking up ls's i'm given. and eventually, i go back and check older ones and see if they changed or aren't used, etc. sometimes i see good friends who i didn't know had that ls and then maybe i'll frequent that one more often.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-09-07 01:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Wardens said:
awww :/ empty ls's are sad. i was with an ls for a year and a half before. that was amazing. its been a while since i found an ls i really like every member and want to stick with them. but i'm still good friends with most of the members that were in that ls.

i'm still not sure why most people don't have many. it seems i keep as many on me, as most people have total.

its not actually all that different. i just don't throw away ls's i don't use anymore (packrat). all while occasionally picking up ls's i'm given. and eventually, i go back and check older ones and see if they changed or aren't used, etc. sometimes i see good friends who i didn't know had that ls and then maybe i'll frequent that one more often.

inventory space alone is a good reason to not keep 23 linkshells, lol. I barely have enough room as it is.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-09-07 01:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

omg.. idk how dealt with that over the last couple years. i guess, i got my inventory to 70 asap and did some strange things to keep any space at all. but still, it was tough. lol since i got my mog satchel about a week ago i have no problem with inventory finally!!

lets see, i think i have in terms of space:

80 mog locker
70 mog house
23 mog safe
70 inventory

and now 70 mog satchel.

and i also used my inbox and outbox as extra room. which was so annoying to do! i don't recomment it.. xD
 Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Kunimitsu
By Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu 2009-09-07 02:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I have 6, i think.
2 social. my main one and anotehr i pop into occasionally, but not so often now since my friend from it has quit.
a sea/einherjar/limbus ls
a sky ls (which i may as well toss as its dead =[ )
a merc ls so i dont go poor.
I know i have one more...I forget what. Probably just another dead social that im hoping ppl come back to =/

and yeah 23 is just ridiculous. I guess looking at your 75's they all share alot of gear, but no way i could clear enough space for that many. lol Also no way I would ever use half of them. Wouldnt feel right popping into an ls once every few weeks just to ask for help. Usually i can get enough help from w/e from social/friendslist, and /shout to find anymore i need.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-07 05:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, to each their own. If you can keep up with 23 LS's then good for you. I personally have trouble dividing my attention between 2.
 Seraph.Corleonis
Server: Seraph
By Seraph.Corleonis 2009-09-07 05:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I've got 5 that I use on a regular basis.

Yamato - Sea/Sky/ZNM/Einherjar/Baha V2/Ouryu/various other popped NMs

NoSeph - Dynamis

Dissidia - Limbus

Epidemic - Sky

Ashamen - Social