And this is Tinycat. That is all.
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-09-03 16:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
I just want to add something that's sorta related, this graph, by Kanican/Kaeko (You may know him as the best BLM who ever lived, who now condones SCH over BLM) shows just what I mean when I say SCH is the most efficient nuking job.

User submitted image

What about a graph showing a BLM/SCH using Parsimony?
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-03 16:49:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
User submitted image

Yes, yes it is.

But on point, sometimes MP efficiency doesn't matter, in those situations BLM are better. Sometimes those rawr huge e-peen numbers are better.
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2009-09-03 16:51:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
User submitted image

its not just a tinycat... its a sweet tinycat ;D
 Bahamut.Rumaha
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-03 16:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Mindi said:

its not just a tinycat... its a sweet tinycat ;D

Yush!

And also, what Korpg said is a valid point, cuz i'm sure with that 50% reduction and being more dmg really helps.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-03 16:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a big difference though, seeing as how you can only use Parsimony half as often on BLM/SCH so really it's 25% reduction in comparison. Even so, that's a massive MP reduction and all things considered, BLM/SCH would pull ahead in pure damage, but lacks greatly in utilities (No Stoneskin, Blink, Gravity, stuff like that.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-09-03 17:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
There's a big difference though, seeing as how you can only use Parsimony half as often on BLM/SCH so really it's 25% reduction in comparison. Even so, that's a massive MP reduction and all things considered, BLM/SCH would pull ahead in pure damage, but lacks greatly in utilities (No Stoneskin, Blink, Gravity, stuff like that.

Same applies to SCH/BLM for nuking if you think about it.

Plus, thats where having 5x BLM/SCH and 1x SCH/RDM comes in.
[+]
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2009-09-03 17:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

A BLM would most likely use Parsimony on huge mp numbers spells. Like (depending on situation though) ThundagaIII (322 mp) or AM2 (287 mp). sure he wont do the same dmg with 2 spells then a sch with 4 TIV(171mp for thunder IV), but its just a supportjob for BLM in this case^^
BLM/SCH is not cool in Dynamis if you are low on ppl cause of the missing secure from SS/Blink/Phalanx. But just one example BLM/SCH, where you dont need to care about hate, is a Quryu fight there even this "just 25% reduction" makes a huge difference. you just, as everywhere, need to play smart, like not beeing in range when not needed etc.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-09-03 17:13:58
Link | Quote | Reply

What people refuse to realize though is not everything is about efficiency: monster's have a limited number of HP. Not only that, but I daresay a BLM in the best hMP set will ultimately, thanks to the last clear mind, overpower a SCH in the best hMP situation.
 Pandemonium.Vincevalentine
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Vincevalentine 2009-09-03 17:36:54
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

*Insert head-bashing against a wall emoticon here*

Seriously, they both have their highs and lows. SCH's, you're not going to convince the BLM's that you're better, and BLM's are not going to convince the SCH's that you're better.

I think both are great. However, nobody's going to get anywhere with some graphs that have absolutely no math behind it showing how it's supposed to work. If SCH works for you, awesome. If BLM works better for you, cool. USE WHAT YOU WORK WITH BEST.

How is it hard to understand? One job is not ALWAYS better than another.
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-09-03 17:40:34
Link | Quote | Reply

User submitted image

Ok where is your sch now ? Graph != real gameplay. Tell us what your SCH can do that a BLM can't do. Off course no need to include everything related to support, we perfectly know that BLM doesn't have access to some of SCH spells/abilities.

Same goes for the so called MP efficiency. That's great, does that allow you to out perform blm ? If yes in which situation ? And how do you outperform them ? Higher exp/hr ratio ? Higher chain ? More kill/hr ratio while farming ?

Protip : I only care about solo / low man situations (< 6), otherwise for alliance situations we always have someone who can switch job so sch or blm debate is irrelevant.

PS : my questions are all rhetorical questions, I perfectly know when a SCH is more useful than a BLM in solo/low man situations, just want to see if you ever be through these.
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-09-03 17:53:45
Link | Quote | Reply

ahh yet another thread which cannot be answered, they are both 2 different jobs which well.. are better in different situations (SE made them this way).

nobody will give in as to which side is better as we've seen time and time again, most threads just die out in time eventually and everyone just looks HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and non the wiser from their own personal views.

might aswell have batman vs superman lol.

edit: just be scientific and flip a coin.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-09-03 17:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Dirtyfinger said:
ahh yet another thread which cannot be answered, they are both 2 different jobs which well.. are better in different situations (SE made them this way).

nobody will give in as to which side is better as we've seen time and time again, most threads just die out in time eventually and everyone just looks HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and non the wiser from their own personal views.

might aswell have batman vs superman lol.

Well sadly people have a hard time understanding that.

Opposing SCH and BLM is not stupid, as long as you don't expect a [BLM wins] or [SCH wins] answer.
 Fenrir.Shindo
Server: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2009-09-03 18:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

As a SCH, I have to tell you, it's BLM. To put out the kind of numbers a BLM does, SCH requires tremendously more effort. First, you'd have to /BLM which means no Blink or Stoneskin. You're also sacrificing a lot of MP to fill your slots with Macc and MAB. On top of all that, you also need to factor in stratagem usage. For T4s you need Addendum: Black up. Then there's Parsimony, Ebullience, and Focalization. Assuming one already has the Addendum up, that's a minimum of 1 minute per nuke, and a maximum of 4. Such infrequency is just impractical. If you're familiar with the philosophy of SCH, practicality is revered above all else.

That's not to say SCH doesn't have its own way of doing things. Klimaform is a spell that's often overlooked. My favorite tactic is an aoe storm spell among my BLMs, aoe Klimaform, and then Ebullience and a helix or a T4 if there's a MB in play. THAT's practicality at its finest.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-09-03 21:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Blink and Stoneskin problems can be avoided by either having a SMN in your party or (better yet) a SCH in your party.

You don't have to play it alone all the time. Even if you lowman something, say, NW Apollyon, then having 2x BLM/SCH and 1x SCH/WHM can be better than having 3x BLM/RDM.

Or, you can have SCH/RDM and all 3 of you buy Dem rings.

Its not like its that hard to have people macro in sublimation and parsamony. All three of you would have RR and Raise, so thats not a problem either. Drain for HP recovery or have the SCH cure every now and then. This setup is win all over.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-09-03 22:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

2 BLM w/e the subjob is already overkill for NW anyway. As long as 1 nuke while 1 sleep, if timing is right, no damage will be sustained at all. Only issue is the last floor, small behemoth can be annoying, but with double Bind and 1 gravity, same thing, shouldn't get hit. Finally for KB, it's not like SS/Blink gonna save your *** from Meteor lol :D
 Bahamut.Jaybess
By Bahamut.Jaybess 2009-09-03 22:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

i am sorry but wtf, u have blm M robs bashing sch's really wtf..... give sch M robe and see what happens really.. SCH doesnt get thos items cuz if they did they would break the game. whiles were at it rdm bears blm cuz u can refresh,

lol all in all 1 major factor stopping sch own blm and that is the lack of gear sch has since its a new job!.

give sch M robe/set,give sch weskit then see how its dmg is.

the best way is for some1 with sch AND blm 75 0 merits on both jobs with the SAME! gaar on the same day nuking

100 nukes of 1 spell and take the average from both jobs and see who does better dmg

all nice saying "what if" but untill blm can aspirGA in dynamis i will lets u guys "rest" since u drain ur mp pool in 3-4 nukes( depending on race)

all in all there are to much lolblms due to burn partys THATS the main reason blms are getting bashed

for events like dynamis "really" sch is the best jobs hands down, 5DD 1brd group just took a beatting with 2 back to back AoE TP move no fear AoE cure 4 cross party bk in2 dark arts bobs ur uncle

before kids start bashing ooo the mnks they need stuns >< no they dont ur ls sucks at killing them, and well sleeping mobs.... have 1 blm/sch in the mix for when u want 2 stacvk sleepga with sleepga ii sorted 3sch/blm 2sch/rdm 1brd will make 5 blm/rdm 1 brd look SO bad its a joke

until sch gets EG+ gear like M robe for itself the subject is stupid
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-09-03 22:57:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool story bro.
 Bahamut.Rydiya
user: Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-09-03 22:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

-.- I feel disgusted to be on the same server, and playing the same job as this guy..
His post makes him come off as a complete idiot.
 Odin.Karusan
Server: Odin
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-09-03 22:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

OP, play the job you think you will enjoy more on the way to 75 and then again at 75.
 Bahamut.Jaybess
By Bahamut.Jaybess 2009-09-03 22:58:34
Link | Quote | Reply

should get it set as a macro really ^^ but anti u made some good points <3 ur blm least ur taken time 2 gear it unles 80% of other blms that nuke in errants ; ;
 Bahamut.Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-09-03 22:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

What BLMs are those? I have yet to see any DUMB enough to pull that off.

Errants will only apply 20 extra damage to your nukes. it's a minimal effect, and the piece is best for HMP.

Edit: Excusing the legs. Once I get back to playing, and get my HQ staves, I'll be in the progress of getting Mahatma slops. Only piece of errant gear I see worthy of upgrading to.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-09-03 23:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Jay's post made my head hurt in the bad ways.
 Bahamut.Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-09-03 23:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sectum.. Imagine being on the same server as him.
 Bahamut.Jaybess
By Bahamut.Jaybess 2009-09-03 23:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

yeh slops r best, but the body i mean ; ; 5am just up ^^ sorry
 Bahamut.Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-09-03 23:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I figured you meant the Houppe. That piece only functions as an HMP piece imho.
I've tried nuking with different pieces even on my Scholar, by far AF body has proven to be the best, as I aim to floor resist rates as much as I can.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-09-03 23:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest BLM in dynamis is really needed, especially for crowd control, stun and couple of pull that can be done easily with timed AGA III. Like the 3 xar eyes, having enough BLM = speed the things up by a lot. I'm not against 1 SCH in the BLM party to get weather bonus, but that's it.

Going full SCH, unless you're doing city dynamis (in that case, whatever, could all play PUP and still win :d) ain't a wise choice.

BLM 2hr also is a major thing that can help you to win in situation where you should have lost. AM II are also a huge plus when it comes to timenuke sleep certain monsters. I'd rather have 5-6 BLM and 1-2 SCH, than 5-6 SCH and 1-2 BLM. MP efficiency in dynamis is not an issue if you play your job correctly really. I barely rest when doing Dynamis-Tav, and when I do rest, I'm doing it wisely (= during down time or during last mob of a batch), which is not really a big deal. Resting doesn't gimp your dynamis group nor hinder it as long as you do it correctly.
 Bahamut.Jaybess
By Bahamut.Jaybess 2009-09-03 23:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

yeh the hidden +15 skill on AF body is just outstanding, sch main problem is the ele skill thats the hard 1 really "unless" ur nuking ice u down a fair bit of skill
 Bahamut.Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-09-03 23:06:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly Pika, I've noticed that myself.. Now my old shell had a hard time with some cities, but we managed to clear it.

^^ I have BLM, SCH, and BRD so on endgame activities, I'm quite useful.
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Server: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2009-09-03 23:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm about to mess with all of your minds...

SCH/DRK has Stun!
First Page 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11