St. Louis Vs. The Police IV: Now It Gets Real!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » St. Louis Vs. The Police IV: Now it gets real!
St. Louis Vs. The Police IV: Now it gets real!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-03-14 04:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Well we're not talking about what we shouldn't do, we're talking about what we should do. Talking about what we shouldn't do just opens up a huge degree of discussion ranging from taking the officer's hat to doing hand stands and pretending to talk to the officer through your shoes. It's essentially a meaningless discussion.
What part is bad about remaining respectful, polite, obedient, and calm, when dealing with a police officer?
That is the summary of my advice.

I think you're lost in the discussion. It's not whether or not it's good or bad, it's that things that work for you may not necessarily work for others. You give your advice, then ponder why people don't just follow your example to stay out of trouble. It's only later that you admit your advice may not actually work. From there, I think we're back at square one, as if nothing I said in the last few hours sunk in. That's not to say you must agree with everything I said, but at least acknowledge it so we don't talk in circles like this.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-03-14 04:42:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Well we're not talking about what we shouldn't do, we're talking about what we should do. Talking about what we shouldn't do just opens up a huge degree of discussion ranging from taking the officer's hat to doing hand stands and pretending to talk to the officer through your shoes. It's essentially a meaningless discussion.
What part is bad about remaining respectful, polite, obedient, and calm, when dealing with a police officer?
That is the summary of my advice.

I think you're lost in the discussion. It's not whether or not it's good or bad, it's that things that work for you may not necessarily work for others. You give your advice, then ponder why people don't just follow your example to stay out of trouble. It's only later that you admit your advice may not actually work. From there, I think we're back at square one, as if nothing I said in the last few hours sunk in. That's not to say you must agree with everything I said, but at least acknowledge it so we don't talk in circles like this.
I'm a realist, and the reality is that humans are panicky, fear-filled, unpredictable creatures. This is why I acknowledge that my advice will not be infallible when dealing with a fellow human being. That is all. It is not a backpedal. What I said is still the right thing to do. If you have a better way to handle the police then please do go on. I would value more insight.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-03-14 05:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

And they're all good ideas, I can give you that.

The problem is that for your advice to be considered, well, good, you'd have to assume that all police officers are machines, not influenced by their biases and possible malicious intent.

For example, if you read the DoJ report on Ferguson, you'd see that minorities were intentionally being targeted, both in arrests and citations. Racism was prevalent in both the words(via email) and the actions of their police force.

Imagine living in that kind of an environment when you, your family and friends, are targeted by the police, and then having someone come along and say 'well, why don't you just be nicer to them and obey them more?' It really doesn't help.
By Voren 2015-03-14 05:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

The answer is simple, and at the same time complicated. First action would be to speak with a supervisor and register a complaint. Now, before you laugh hysterically, keep reading.

After that, if the harassment continues contact a civil litigation attorney to possibly obtain records pertaining to the incident as well as the official complaint that was filed. This works both if the department does and doesn't record citizen complaints against officers.

Next contact media outlets, especially the local news paper as well as internet sites that publicize police action/inaction.

All the time remaining polite and respectful to law enforcement. You have to take the high road, even when it's difficult to do so.

I hate seeing fellow officers dragged through the mud, but I hate dirty sack of crap cops more.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-03-14 05:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I'm glad you chimed in with the correct procedures, but that isn't the point of this. I'm trying to show Endoq that she's carelessly showing a disturbing lack of empathy for people who aren't her.

To paraphrase, "why don't you just be nicer and obey them more" is an incredibly ignorant thing to say to those communities who are purposefully targeted by law enforcement. We have the records to prove that it's going on in Ferguson, but, what exactly are the chances that Ferguson is the only place in the US where this is happening?

Telling communities that are being specifically targeted that their problem is that there wasn't enough obedience is kind of a dickish thing to do.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-03-14 06:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Giving good advice is a result of empathy, not the lack of.

I don't know how what I said could be paraphrased the way you just did, but that was never in my heart the way you said. I never said it was a solution, only that it can help. I never accused anyone of not doing these things. If being polite, respectful, compliant, and calm fails, continue doing these things anyways. Always take the high road. Never give them the means of justification to their blame.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-03-14 06:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Then I think you have a severe misunderstanding of what empathy means.

Also, how is being polite and compliant different from being nice and obedient? You just said you don't understand how what you said could be paraphrased as nice and obedient, but then you immediately say you should be polite and compliant. It kind of feels like I'm talking to a cartoon character right now.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-14 08:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Voren 2015-03-14 08:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

That's why I'd probably hire an attorney from outside of Ferguson. Also, that's why I'd hire an attorney so they can deal with the courts as well as why I'd go to the media who, as we've seen before, love stories that show racism and corruption of law enforcement officials.

I also didn't fully grasp the argument between Ihina and Endoq, which I should've just stayed out of.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-14 08:59:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't help your argument using such a biased source like huffington post.

Just saying, that article is over sensationalized. It never answered the most obvious question: Out of 16,000 people with arrest warrants, how many of them were for misdemeanor incidents? And how many of those were issued this year? Last year? Within the statue of limitations?

Not paying a traffic ticket is enough to have an arrest warrant on you, and I can bet you good money that a majority (75% or greater) of those arrest warrants are for misdemeanor incidents.
By Voren 2015-03-14 09:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The largest town in the county I'm in has a population of just over 44,000.

That municipal puts out over 3,000 warrants each year. This includes parking warrants which are not an arrestable offense. That's more than Boston according to Huffington Post's claims.

Now, if someone knows different about Missouri please correct me, but speaking from Oklahoma municipal judges do not sign warrants that pertain to anything other than municipal offenses. State charges require a District Judge that sits for the state in each county.

So, for offenses that are actual misdemeanor and felony (serious offenses) that are routinely served by various agencies you'd not find those in the municipal's records, that would be county.

It's entirely plausible that Ferguson would have a lot of municipal violations, maybe more so than Boston considering a lot of small town agencies receive a majority of their funding from citations.

From this I would gather that Huffington Post is sensationalizing the statistics in order to incite outrage.

Edit: Also, here's something to consider. Ferguson, according to 2010 census, is comprised of 67.4% African American and 29.3% White. So, with those percentages it stands to reason that the majority of arrests would be African American.
[+]
 Lye
By Lye 2015-03-14 14:51:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Was the DoJ's analysis not that misconduct was institutionally evident?
By Bloodrose 2015-03-14 15:36:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Voren said: »
The largest town in the county I'm in has a population of just over 44,000.

That municipal puts out over 3,000 warrants each year. This includes parking warrants which are not an arrestable offense. That's more than Boston according to Huffington Post's claims.

Now, if someone knows different about Missouri please correct me, but speaking from Oklahoma municipal judges do not sign warrants that pertain to anything other than municipal offenses. State charges require a District Judge that sits for the state in each county.

So, for offenses that are actual misdemeanor and felony (serious offenses) that are routinely served by various agencies you'd not find those in the municipal's records, that would be county.

It's entirely plausible that Ferguson would have a lot of municipal violations, maybe more so than Boston considering a lot of small town agencies receive a majority of their funding from citations.

From this I would gather that Huffington Post is sensationalizing the statistics in order to incite outrage.

Edit: Also, here's something to consider. Ferguson, according to 2010 census, is comprised of 67.4% African American and 29.3% White. So, with those percentages it stands to reason that the majority of arrests would be African American.
Reason and logic is not allowed!
[+]
By maldini 2015-03-14 17:01:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Vice news "To serve and protect" - good explanation of the difference between officers and soldiers and some predictions (based on Ferguson)
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-15 18:30:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
A 20-year-old man was charged on Sunday with first-degree assault in last week's shooting of two policemen during a protest rally in Ferguson, Missouri, a crime that shocked a city that has been devastated by months of racial strife.

The suspect, Jeffrey Williams, has admitted to firing the shots that wounded the officers early on Thursday, said St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch.

The gunfire rang out just after midnight at the end of a rally to call for sweeping reforms in Ferguson, where an unarmed black teenager was shot to death by a white officer last summer.

Eighteen-year-old Michael Brown's death touched off months of protests against law enforcement's treatment of minority groups, in Ferguson and around the country, and led to a U.S. Justice Department probe that found pervasive racial bias on the part of the city's mostly white police force.

Williams was arrested after a massive manhunt, with the help of tips from the public and video evidence, McCulloch told a news conference.

An African American who had been on probation for possession of stolen property, Williams told investigators that he was not targeting police but was shooting at someone else, McCulloch added.

A county police officer, 41, suffered a shoulder wound and a 32-year-old from a nearby police department sustained a facial wound in Thursday's shooting. Both were treated and released by a local hospital.

Williams, whose bond was set at $300,000, appears to have fired a .40 caliber handgun from a car, McCulloch said.

A handgun was recovered in his residence and matched shell casings found at the scene, according to McCulloch, who said that although Williams appeared to be the only shooter, other people may be charged as the investigation continues.

"This arrest sends a clear message that acts of violence against our law enforcement personnel will never be tolerated," U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement.

The shootings took place just hours after Ferguson's police chief resigned in the wake of the scathing U.S. Justice Department report. Chief Tom Jackson's resignation followed the departures of the city manager and a municipal judge.

News of Sunday's arrest was greeted on the streets of Ferguson with a mix of relief and a sense that the protests would not fade away.

“I just hope they got the right guy, and that he gets what he deserves,” said Gussie Klorer, a 60-year-old professor at St Louis University, adding she thought the arrest would have no bearing on the street demonstrations.

“The protests seem to have a life of their own,” she said.

But the news also prompted a show of support for Ferguson's beleaguered police force. Dozens of people gathered in front of police headquarters, many of them holding signs reading "We Support the Badge" and "Thank You Police."

The Justice Department report said Ferguson police overwhelmingly arrested and issued traffic citations to African Americans to boost city coffers through fines. That helped create a culture of distrust that exploded in August when city police officer Darren Wilson fatally shot Brown.
Suspect charged in shooting of police officers in Ferguson, Missouri
[+]
 Shiva.Layowen
Server: Shiva
user: Layowen
By Shiva.Layowen 2015-03-15 20:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I live in St. Louis and people that are not from St. Louis always think of Ferguson as just a separate city. Its not. Its North St. Louis. St. Louis was divided up between city and county towns but they are all touching and connected. So "Ferguson" may have a population of 21k but if you drive 3mins south you are in Central St. Louis city with a population of 500k. They need to do away with county and city populations. Every surrounding city in St. Louis county has about a 20k population. If they would combine City and County St. Louis would be well over 1mil population. So its not happening in a "small town"
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-16 05:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
An African American who had been on probation for possession of stolen property, Williams told investigators that he was not targeting police but was shooting at someone else, McCulloch added.
Yeah, like that will make it better.....

"No judge, I wasn't intending to kill the police officers, I was intending to kill that *** who was sleeping with my dog!"
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-03-16 14:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

why would anyone defy a police officer anyways?
Because you don't always have to. I guess you've only run into nice gentle police officers only out for your own good but let me tell you they are just like the rest of us and there are some real assoholes out there. The badge doesn't give them a right to do whatever they want. Not every situation is life or death.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-16 14:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Because thug life that is why you don't listen to a cop !
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-03-16 14:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
This may sound insane, but... Your odds of getting shot by a cop go down dramatically by not breaking the laws/complying with police officers.
It should be 0 at that point already.

Even still, not complying with officers commands or simply breaking a law does not give the officer a right to shoot you.
Depends on the circumstances. If you pose a threat, then the officer may be justified to use lethal force.
and just by breaking a law or refusing to comply with an officer's commands does not mean you pose a threat to anyone's life.

If I give you an order to drop your weapon and stop, but you continue to advance towards me or another person with weapon in hand, guess what punkin, I'm justified in using lethal force. So yes, by breaking a law and failing to comply with a lawful command is justification to use lethal force. It's all about circumstances.
That is a specific circumstance that does not encompass every, or even close to every, interaction people have on a daily basis with police officers.

If a guy is going for his gun when you command him to put it on the ground sure... If you tell an unarmed man to put his arms on the vehicle or to get on the ground and he doesn't are you going to shoot him? No, and there is no reason to.
By fonewear 2015-03-16 14:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Grab you glock when you see the cops !
By fonewear 2015-03-16 14:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still protesting the shooting I refuse to let this go.
By Voren 2015-03-18 02:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

This may sound insane, but... Your odds of getting shot by a cop go down dramatically by not breaking the laws/complying with police officers.
It should be 0 at that point already.

Even still, not complying with officers commands or simply breaking a law does not give the officer a right to shoot you.
Depends on the circumstances. If you pose a threat, then the officer may be justified to use lethal force.
and just by breaking a law or refusing to comply with an officer's commands does not mean you pose a threat to anyone's life.

If I give you an order to drop your weapon and stop, but you continue to advance towards me or another person with weapon in hand, guess what punkin, I'm justified in using lethal force. So yes, by breaking a law and failing to comply with a lawful command is justification to use lethal force. It's all about circumstances.
That is a specific circumstance that does not encompass every, or even close to every, interaction people have on a daily basis with police officers.

In all fairness you never set the parameters, you left it completely open, so I closed a gap was all. Your statement also didn't encompass every interaction with people on a daily basis, mine at least gave specific circumstances. Am I going to treat everyone the same, yes and no. Am I going to skip a step in the UoFC, yes and no. Am I going to pull a gun on an unarmed person, again yes and no. It all depends upon the circumstances that are presented to me. Me, you, no one can actually use a blanket statement and expect it to cover every encounter an officer has on a daily basis, because the truth is, we have no idea what we're getting into from hour to hour let alone day to day.

Quote:
If a guy is going for his gun when you command him to put it on the ground sure...

If I shoot a guy that's going for his gun when I've told him to place it on the ground, I believe that would be what's called entrapment. I'm not going to tell him to put it on the ground if it's holstered, I'm going to tell him to place his hands behind his head and interlock his fingers, then I'll remove the gun myself, thus no one gets shot (if it goes smoothly). If it's not holstered, again depending upon circumstances, I may or may not tell him to place the firearm on the ground, he may just get shot.

Quote:
If you tell an unarmed man to put his arms on the vehicle or to get on the ground and he doesn't are you going to shoot him? No, and there is no reason to.

Again, depends. Has he just killed someone with his bare hands? Is he known to be proficient in martial arts? Can he kill me with a tea cup or a pop can tab? If the answers are yes, then yeah I'm going to put a .357SIG round through his chest probably at least three times if his hands come up off that car hood and he advances towards me.

Welcome to the world of law enforcement where there's so many variables that you can't simply make a blanket statement and have it stick.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8